NBA Western Conference Finals 2017

Discussion of the league and of our favorite team.
O_Gardino

Re: NBA Western Conference Finals 2017

Post by O_Gardino »

Bowen used to body check Nash every time Nash passed the ball. As soon as the ball was out of his hands, and the refs turned their heads to watch the pass, Bowen would hit Steve. Every. Time.
The league needs heroes, villains... and clowns. -- Aztec Sunsfan

Hermen

Post by Hermen »

3 off-days between games? I agree with no back-to-backs but this is such a drag.

Indy

Post by Indy »

Hermen wrote:3 off-days between games? I agree with no back-to-backs but this is such a drag.
I would prefer back to back over this, especially for the games that are not changing locations.

Cap

Post by Cap »

Hermen wrote:3 off-days between games? I agree with no back-to-backs but this is such a drag.
Have to let the East catch up. Wouldn't want the Warriors wrapping up a sweep this Saturday with the ECF potentially going (theoretically) to a Game 7 on the 29th.

Superbone

Post by Superbone »

Is this the first day since the playoffs started that there hasn't been a game?
"Too little, too late, too unbothered."
- Phoenix Suns 2023-2024 season motto.

"Be Legendary."

carey

Post by carey »

Superbone wrote:Is this the first day since the playoffs started that there hasn't been a game?
There were no games last Saturday the 13th either, so this is the 2nd.
Go Suns!

Og Snus!

Superbone

Post by Superbone »

carey wrote:
Superbone wrote:Is this the first day since the playoffs started that there hasn't been a game?
There were no games last Saturday the 13th either, so this is the 2nd.
Thanks carey. So that's pretty good.

"Be Legendary."

Superbone

Post by Superbone »

So, GSW going up 3-0 tonight? I'd be surprised if they didn't. I was told there's a bet out there before the playoffs started for the Warriors to sweep the playoffs without a loss. I don't see that happening once they hit the Cavs.

"Be Legendary."

bajanguy008

Post by bajanguy008 »

Superbone wrote:So, GSW going up 3-0 tonight? I'd be surprised if they didn't. I was told there's a bet out there before the playoffs started for the Warriors to sweep the playoffs without a loss. I don't see that happening once they hit the Cavs.
With Kawhi being Ruled OUT hard I'm guessing it really is a foregone conclusion even to the most optimistic Spurs fans
SUNS Fan from the Land of Sun, Sea and Sand ;)

Nodack

Post by Nodack »

I seemed like a forgone conclusion that the Warriors and the Cavs would meet in the Finals at the start of the season.

In2ition

Post by In2ition »

Nodack wrote:I seemed like a forgone conclusion that the Warriors and the Cavs would meet in the Finals at the start of the season.
You're totally right, yet we thought when they both went through slight lulls in the season that possibly they might get beat by someone. How did I possibly think that for a second?
"When we all think alike, nobody is thinking" - Walter Lippmann
"Find out just what any people will quietly submit to and you have the exact measure of the injustice and wrong which will be imposed on them." ~ Frederick Douglass

Split T

Post by Split T »

Cavs never looked anywhere close to as good as they've played in the playoffs. Hard to anticipate that. The finals will be interesting.

Mori Chu

Post by Mori Chu »

Was it like this in the '80s, where you knew it would end up being Lakers vs Celtics almost every year? Was that fun? Or was it lame to watch the march toward the inevitable?

TOO

Post by TOO »

Split T wrote:Cavs never looked anywhere close to as good as they've played in the playoffs. Hard to anticipate that. The finals will be interesting.
I think everyone knew they were coasting through the season, I'm not surprised at all. A well rested LeBron is good enough to beat anyone anywhere. I can't wait to see him vs Warriors.
Jones and Vogel out, Lue or Lee in, draft Tyler Kolek.

The Bobster

Post by The Bobster »

Marty [Mori Chu] wrote:Was it like this in the '80s, where you knew it would end up being Lakers vs Celtics almost every year? Was that fun? Or was it lame to watch the march toward the inevitable?
It was pretty much the same - although in the early '80s it was either Philadelphia or Boston against the Lakers.
Author of The Basketball Draft Fact Book: A History of Professional Basketball's College Drafts
Available from Scarecrow Press at - https://rowman.com/ISBN/9780810890695

UglyTruth

Post by UglyTruth »

Marty [Mori Chu] wrote:Was it like this in the '80s, where you knew it would end up being Lakers vs Celtics almost every year? Was that fun? Or was it lame to watch the march toward the inevitable?
I'm sure it was only fun for Lakers & Celtics fans.

The Bobster

Post by The Bobster »

For me, basketball was a lot more fun in the second half of the '70s when there was better parity and there seemed to be a different champion each year - Warriors in '75, Celtics in '76, Trail Blazers in '77, Bullets in '78 and Sonics in '79. Washington was the closes thing to a dominant team, making it to the Finals three times, but the Sonics were the only other team getting there more than once.

Despite winning "only" 50 games in 1978-79 the Suns felt like a legitimate contender, and many people thought ther Western Conference Finals were going to determine the eventual champions because Kevin Grevey's injury left Washington's backcourt to thin (and this proved to be true - Grevey played in the Finals, but not very well).+

In 1978-79 only three teams won 50 games in the regular season - the Suns (50), Sonics (52) and Bullets (54). The first round of the postseason was best-of-three with the four division champions getting a bye in the first round, so the playoffs were not as grueling. Plus, there was more parity - ten of the eleven playoff teams won between 45 and 54 games, the only exclusion being the Nets (37-45).
Author of The Basketball Draft Fact Book: A History of Professional Basketball's College Drafts

Mori Chu

Post by Mori Chu »

Thanks for the great memory lane posts, guys.

JustWinBaby

Post by JustWinBaby »

IMO, this has been the worst NBA playoffs in recent memory. Except for the Spurs / Rockets series virtually all of the other series have been boring. It appears that no one has a chance to compete against the Warriors or Cav's when the chips are down. In the years of the Celtic, Laker and Bull dynasties you at least thought their opponents had a chance. It is not a fair fight against these two teams.

This will not change until someone is hit in the pocket book.

Has anyone seen the television ratings for this years playoffs?

I certainly hope our Phoenix Suns make the right moves this off season to make us at least competitive. I am close to losing total interest in the NBA. Without continued positive signs, which we had this year, it is going to be difficult to follow a team that continues to lose.

What year will we see a final without both the Cav's and the Warriors participating in?
I wanted Monty as our coach since D'Antoni left town. Nice choice James Jones.

The Bobster

Post by The Bobster »

Yes, the postseason this year has been wretched.

Boston/Washington was a competitive series, but outside of that, ehhh.

To many stars getting hurt - Leonard, Thomas, Griffin, etc.