NBA Eastern Conference Finals 2017

Discussion of the league and of our favorite team.
Mori Chu

Re: NBA Eastern Conference Finals 2017

Post by Mori Chu »

Seriously, how do you come back from that? Boston has to get swept now, right? They go into Cleveland with their heads hung low, off a record-setting loss, into the arena of a supremely confident Cavs team. I don't see how they take a game from Cleveland on the road now.

But maybe the best thing about this is that it reminds Ainge and Boston that despite somehow getting to the ECF, they still aren't even close to Lebron and the Cavs. They need to remember that and keep making their team better. They have a lot of B- talents on that roster, and that works great to have a strong regular season record, but it doesn't work against elite playoff competition.

I was wrong. Thought they'd put up more of a fight.

In2ition

Post by In2ition »

Do you think they are more inclined to keep the pick and develop Fultz and Brown or trade it for a relatively young established star on the rise like Butler? And if they can pick up Hayward too,...might be something.
"When we all think alike, nobody is thinking" - Walter Lippmann
"Find out just what any people will quietly submit to and you have the exact measure of the injustice and wrong which will be imposed on them." ~ Frederick Douglass

Aztec Sunsfan

Post by Aztec Sunsfan »

Marty [Mori Chu] wrote:Seriously, how do you come back from that? Boston has to get swept now, right? They go into Cleveland with their heads hung low, off a record-setting loss, into the arena of a supremely confident Cavs team. I don't see how they take a game from Cleveland on the road now.

Are you trying to reverse jinx the Celtics after saying they couldn't lose both of their home games? :lol:

Honestly, I also tought they would split, and later return home down 3-1, with some chance to extend the series. I guess this is another case of "owner of your silence, slave of your words" since the Cavs and specially Lebron looks really focused not only on taking the series, but also sending a message about the real size of that self proclaimed "disrespected 1st seed".

And this is an interesting twist on their drafting plans. Are you a trade for George away from the Cavs, or do you start reloading with young guns while IT keep you relevant? A renewed George is intringuing and could actually work, while keeping their pick basically signals Boston conceding the Conference to the Cavs for the rest of Lebron's tenure.

Split T

Post by Split T »

In2ition wrote:Do you think they are more inclined to keep the pick and develop Fultz and Brown or trade it for a relatively young established star on the rise like Butler? And if they can pick up Hayward too,...might be something.
I've been pretty firmly in the trade their pick for Butler group, but this beating might change my mind. Is Cleveland really this much better than Boston? If so, they just need to draft Fultz.

Superbone

Post by Superbone »

Superbone wrote:
Indy wrote:
Marty [Mori Chu] wrote:All the TV/podcast pundits are saying the Cavs will sweep the Celtics or win in 5. Am I crazy to think it will not be nearly so lopsided? I do think the Cavs win the series, but let's not forget that the first 2 games will be in Boston in front of an extremely loud pro-Celtics crowd. Does everybody really think that the Celtics will lose *both* of the games on their own home floor?

I think this series definitely goes 6-7 games and will be way more chippy and competitive than pundits are giving it credit for.
I will be very shocked if it makes it to game 6.
I will be surprised if it makes it to game 5. I think the Cavs will win the first two in Boston. See Chicago series.
I tol' you.
"Be Legendary."

Hermen

Post by Hermen »

Well, that was embarassing. I watched the first half and the Celtics had no idea what to do. They were missing a lot of wide open shots. I agree with Mori, Boston has a lot of good role players, but not the shooting kind. IT is the only consistent threat they have, and even he was a ghost last night. Also no rim protection.

If I'm them, I keep the pick(s), unless I can get someone like Davis, Towns, Porzingis, Jokic, Freak. Young superstars who won't be anxious to win a title immediately. But they won't get someone like that unless they draft him. You can keep being one of the top teams in the east while searching for a young two-way superstar. They need to trade at least one of Bradley/IT asap though.

O_Gardino

Post by O_Gardino »

Superbone wrote:
O_Gardino wrote:
Superbone wrote:
Indy wrote:
Marty [Mori Chu] wrote:All the TV/podcast pundits are saying the Cavs will sweep the Celtics or win in 5. Am I crazy to think it will not be nearly so lopsided? I do think the Cavs win the series, but let's not forget that the first 2 games will be in Boston in front of an extremely loud pro-Celtics crowd. Does everybody really think that the Celtics will lose *both* of the games on their own home floor?

I think this series definitely goes 6-7 games and will be way more chippy and competitive than pundits are giving it credit for.
I will be very shocked if it makes it to game 6.
I will be surprised if it makes it to game 5. I think the Cavs will win the first two in Boston. See Chicago series.
I agree that the Cavs are in a different class of teams, but Chicago is an 8th seed playing without their starting pg, while Boston is the #1 seed.
My point is that Chicago won the first 2 in Boston in spite of being the #8 seed.
I get it now. :lol:
The league needs heroes, villains... and clowns. -- Aztec Sunsfan

Superbone

Post by Superbone »

O_Gardino wrote:
Superbone wrote:
O_Gardino wrote:
Superbone wrote:
Indy wrote: I will be very shocked if it makes it to game 6.
I agree that the Cavs are in a different class of teams, but Chicago is an 8th seed playing without their starting pg, while Boston is the #1 seed.
My point is that Chicago won the first 2 in Boston in spite of being the #8 seed.
Ha! Better late than never!

Poor Celtics getting dominated like never before. So glad for them that they got the #1 overall pick.

NOT!
"Be Legendary."

In2ition

Post by In2ition »

Superbone wrote:
O_Gardino wrote:
Superbone wrote:
O_Gardino wrote:
Superbone wrote: I will be surprised if it makes it to game 5. I think the Cavs will win the first two in Boston. See Chicago series.
Ha! Better late than never!

Poor Celtics getting dominated like never before. So glad for them that they got the #1 overall pick.

NOT!
Screw them
"When we all think alike, nobody is thinking" - Walter Lippmann
"Find out just what any people will quietly submit to and you have the exact measure of the injustice and wrong which will be imposed on them." ~ Frederick Douglass

TOO

Post by TOO »

Thoroughly enjoying seeing the Celtics get whooped. Boston probably wouldnt have beaten a healthy Chicago team so this is 0% surprising.
Jones and Vogel gotta go.

Split T

Post by Split T »

IT has been ruled out for the rest of the playoffs. Can we just skip the last two games in each series? Does anyone believe SA or Bos can even win a game?

Mori Chu

Post by Mori Chu »

We might as well just get on to Warriors vs Cavs at this point. I can't remember ever seeing such a non-competitive playoffs. It's disheartening. Even if we ended up here with Warriors vs Cavs, at least we could have been treated to some intense series against teams like the Spurs, Rockets, Celtics, or Wizards. But the losing team has just laid down and given up in almost every one of these series.

Superbone

Post by Superbone »

Split T wrote:IT has been ruled out for the rest of the playoffs. Can we just skip the last two games in each series? Does anyone believe SA or Bos can even win a game?
No.
"Be Legendary."

Superbone

Post by Superbone »

Marty [Mori Chu] wrote:We might as well just get on to Warriors vs Cavs at this point. I can't remember ever seeing such a non-competitive playoffs. It's disheartening. Even if we ended up here with Warriors vs Cavs, at least we could have been treated to some intense series against teams like the Spurs, Rockets, Celtics, or Wizards. But the losing team has just laid down and given up in almost every one of these series.
I think there were some decent series along the way but ultimately it didn't matter because none of them involved the finals teams.
"Be Legendary."

carey

Post by carey »

The "Marcus Smart game." Glad C's got a win even though I hate them. I just hate the Cavs a little bit more.
Go Suns!

Og Snus!

bajanguy008

Post by bajanguy008 »

carey wrote:The "Marcus Smart game." Glad C's got a win even though I hate them. I just hate the Cavs a little bit more.
It's a miracle, when last was there a good game in the playoffs lol. This was a really badd game by LeBron
SUNS Fan from the Land of Sun, Sea and Sand ;)

Cap

Post by Cap »

It terms of the pregame betting line, this was the biggest upset in the NBA playoffs in 20 years.

Superbone

Post by Superbone »

Like I said, I'm surprised. That was a monster game by the Celtics without IT. They just never quit fighting even when they were down by 21. Great win for them.
"Be Legendary."

Split T

Post by Split T »

I didn't watch, but looking at the box score, lebron looked awful. How did he look in the game? Was he coasting or did Boston actually shut him down?

O_Gardino

Post by O_Gardino »

Split T wrote:IT has been ruled out for the rest of the playoffs. Can we just skip the last two games in each series? Does anyone believe SA or Bos can even win a game?
I guess Marcus Smart believes? Or maybe the truth is that LeBron believes in the Celtics. I didn't.

I honestly think a healthy SA could have beaten the Cavs this year, and that a healthy Houston or Clipps would have given them a run for their money. It's too bad the 2nd best team in the east is a poor man's OKC.
The league needs heroes, villains... and clowns. -- Aztec Sunsfan