NBA Eastern Conference Finals 2017

Discussion of the league and of our favorite team.
Indy

Re: NBA Eastern Conference Finals 2017

Post by Indy »

Marty [Mori Chu] wrote:
carey wrote:Anyone hearing rumblings that Stevens may go back to college? I don't know why he would but starting to see stuff to that effect out there.
That sounds ludicrous to me. He's coaching a great team that is almost a Finals contender and is only going to get better. I don't think he would leave that behind. If he goes back to college, I think it would be after the Celtics' current run ends and they have a long rebuild ahead of them.
Depends on the offer and from whom. Like all jobs.

carey

Re: RE: Re: NBA Eastern Conference Finals 2017

Post by carey »

Marty wrote:
That sounds ludicrous to me. He's coaching a great team that is almost a Finals contender and is only going to get better. I don't think he would leave that behind. If he goes back to college, I think it would be after the Celtics' current run ends and they have a long rebuild ahead of them.
We have vastly different opinions of where the Celtics are at in their current rebuild. I do agree that I'd stay the course were I him. But I don't know what he makes salary wise, how he & his family like Boston, what his relationship with Ainge is like or a million other things that factor into decisions like this.
Go Suns!

Og Snus!

TOO

Post by TOO »

Indy wrote:
Marty [Mori Chu] wrote:
carey wrote:Anyone hearing rumblings that Stevens may go back to college? I don't know why he would but starting to see stuff to that effect out there.
Depends on the offer and from whom. Like all jobs.
Maybe he likes recruiting, teaching the game, and not having to deal with huge egos? He'd get paid millions wherever he went.
👀 Fire Frank Vogel.

Ring_Wanted

Post by Ring_Wanted »

carey wrote:
Marty wrote:
We have vastly different opinions of where the Celtics are at in their current rebuild. I do agree that I'd stay the course were I him. But I don't know what he makes salary wise, how he & his family like Boston, what his relationship with Ainge is like or a million other things that factor into decisions like this.
Ainge made a visionary move with Stevens. He signed him to a six-year $22 million contract him in 2013, and then gave him a three-year extension in 2016.

If I were the C's I'd reward Stevens first thing this offseason. He is a guru.

About the roster, they are a cute pretender but have a number of apparent flaws they can't patch from within. Still, that's ok given the assets Ainge has given himself (including cap space; many think Hayward is written on the wall). Their bad luck is that the 1st overall prospect this year is not a trascendent big man (or even a forward), otherwise they'd be ready to truly challenge LeBron. As it is, Boston, like every other East team, has no chance unless they add an all NBA talent.

Really, if I were Boston I'd put the pick up for sale to create a contender with Stevens and IT4. I'd aim Paul George and change. Would also try to steal Melo for peanuts.

ShelC

Post by ShelC »

If the Cs are serious about contending now, they go after Paul George. If they want to continue being a very good team for the next 4-5-6 years, keep the pick.

Mori Chu

Post by Mori Chu »

I think the Celtics should trade pick + assets for George or Butler, and also try to sign Gordon Hayward. They are ready to contend with a few good moves. I don't think they should just hoard draft picks and wait for Lebron to get old. They can beat the Cavs now if they add two impact players like these.

ShelC

Post by ShelC »

I think Hayward is fool's gold for them. Would he really be doing anything to slow down LBJ/Cavs right now?

Split T

Post by Split T »

I wonder if Boston isn't just thinking about Cleveland but golden state as well. Even if they can beat Cleveland, can they beat golden state, even with George?

Aztec Sunsfan

Post by Aztec Sunsfan »

Ring_Wanted wrote:
About the roster, they are a cute pretender but have a number of apparent flaws they can't patch from within. Still, that's ok given the assets Ainge has given himself (including cap space; many think Hayward is written on the wall). Their bad luck is that the 1st overall prospect this year is not a trascendent big man (or even a forward), otherwise they'd be ready to truly challenge LeBron. As it is, Boston, like every other East team, has no chance unless they add an all NBA talent.

Really, if I were Boston I'd put the pick up for sale to create a contender with Stevens and IT4. I'd aim Paul George and change. Would also try to steal Melo for peanuts.
It would be posible (and then worthy) for Boston to work with New Orleans something around Cousins and the N°1? Boston have a solid team culture, maybe what Booggie needs to finally reach his full potential. Both teams get to balance their rosters around the classic "One bigman star, one perimeter star" formula. IT/Cousins and Fultz/Davis sounds interesting to me, better than IT/Fultz and Davis/Cousins.

How do you guys think a fair deal should looks like?

Ring_Wanted

Post by Ring_Wanted »

I agree on the big man-perimeter man premise and actually was surprised Ainge didn't pull the trigger on Cousins at the deadline. NOP's offer was relatively easy to beat without surrendering BRY '17 (although if the Kings were infatuated with Buddy Hield there is not a lot you can do about it). Now the Pelis won't let him go after just three months, and rightfully so. I too would want to see how far the Davis-Cousins duo can develop.

It seems the only two stars attainable via trade are George and Butler. Drummond too, but his stock is falling lately. Melo as well, I guess.

ShelC

Post by ShelC »

Ainge probably knows enough to stay away from Cousins. You don't want to bring his personality into that lockerroom.

O_Gardino

Post by O_Gardino »

Split T wrote:I wonder if Boston isn't just thinking about Cleveland but golden state as well. Even if they can beat Cleveland, can they beat golden state, even with George?
They might be thinking about the Dallas and Detroit championship teams. Sometimes a very good team sneaks through.
The league needs heroes, villains... and clowns. -- Aztec Sunsfan

O_Gardino

Post by O_Gardino »

Aztec Sunsfan wrote:
Ring_Wanted wrote:

It would be posible (and then worthy) for Boston to work with New Orleans something around Cousins and the N°1? Boston have a solid team culture, maybe what Booggie needs to finally reach his full potential. Both teams get to balance their rosters around the classic "One bigman star, one perimeter star" formula. IT/Cousins and Fultz/Davis sounds interesting to me, better than IT/Fultz and Davis/Cousins.

How do you guys think a fair deal should looks like?
IIRC, Thomas and Cousins didn't get along very well when they were both in Sac.
The league needs heroes, villains... and clowns. -- Aztec Sunsfan

carey

Re: RE: Re: RE: Re: NBA Eastern Conference Finals 2017

Post by carey »

O_Gardino wrote:
IIRC, Thomas and Cousins didn't get along very well when they were both in Sac.
That's accurate. Don't see them ever playing together again.
Go Suns!

Og Snus!

In2ition

Post by In2ition »

But, Cousins would love to play with Bledsoe and/or Wall.
"When we all think alike, nobody is thinking" - Walter Lippmann
"Find out just what any people will quietly submit to and you have the exact measure of the injustice and wrong which will be imposed on them." ~ Frederick Douglass

Mori Chu

Post by Mori Chu »

The Celtics are getting destroyed by the Cavs. Cleveland up 36-16 right now.

Cap

Post by Cap »

Let's get this nonsense over and start the Finals.

carey

Post by carey »

Has anyone counted the number of blow outs in these playoffs? Seems abnormal.
Go Suns!

Og Snus!

Split T

Post by Split T »

This will be the 17th win by at least 20 points and the 75th game overall. So almost 1 in 4.

Superbone

Post by Superbone »

Cap wrote:Let's get this nonsense over and start the Finals.
Nope, it will not be rushed. Still starts June 1st.
"Be Legendary."