NBA Eastern Conference Finals 2017

Discussion of the league and of our favorite team.
Cap

Re: NBA Eastern Conference Finals 2017

Post by Cap »

Superbone wrote:
Cap wrote:Let's get this nonsense over and start the Finals.
Nope, it will not be rushed. Still starts June 1st.
:evil:

carey

Re: RE: Re: NBA Eastern Conference Finals 2017

Post by carey »

Split T wrote:This will be the 17th win by at least 20 points and the 75th game overall. So almost 1 in 4.
That has to be a record. Thanks for doing the leg work on that. I wonder how that compares to the regular season average.
Go Suns!

Og Snus!

Mori Chu

Post by Mori Chu »

This has to be the worst Playoffs I have ever seen. Really disappointing. Way too many lopsided series and blowouts.

Superbone

Post by Superbone »

Marty [Mori Chu] wrote:This has to be the worst Playoffs I have ever seen. Really disappointing. Way too many lopsided series and blowouts.
One of the many reasons I don't like the super teams. I still don't understand why some think Durant to the Warriors is a good thing for the NBA.
"Be Legendary."

carey

Post by carey »

Superbone wrote: One of the many reasons I don't like the super teams. I still don't understand why some think Durant to the Warriors is a good thing for the NBA.
Because the general public loves super teams. Especially casual fans.
Go Suns!

Og Snus!

Superbone

Post by Superbone »

carey wrote:
Superbone wrote: One of the many reasons I don't like the super teams. I still don't understand why some think Durant to the Warriors is a good thing for the NBA.
Because the general public loves super teams. Especially casual fans.
Well it worked out perfectly then. The casual fans can just start watching basketball when the Finals start. It didn't work out too well for the other 28 teams though and their fan bases.
"Be Legendary."

Indy

Post by Indy »

Superbone wrote:
Marty [Mori Chu] wrote:This has to be the worst Playoffs I have ever seen. Really disappointing. Way too many lopsided series and blowouts.
One of the many reasons I don't like the super teams. I still don't understand why some think Durant to the Warriors is a good thing for the NBA.
It has been just as lopsided for the Cavs. Is it unfair that James decided to go play there?

Superbone

Post by Superbone »

Indy wrote:
Superbone wrote:
It has been just as lopsided for the Cavs. Is it unfair that James decided to go play there?
Exactly. We have one super team in the West and one in the East. Guess who's playing in the NBA Finals?
"Be Legendary."

Indy

Post by Indy »

Superbone wrote:
Indy wrote:
Superbone wrote:
Exactly. We have one super team in the West and one in the East. Guess who's playing in the NBA Finals?
I guess my question is, why is Durant to the Warriors a bad thing but LeBron to Cleveland not?

Superbone

Post by Superbone »

Indy wrote:
Superbone wrote:
Indy wrote:
Superbone wrote:
I guess my question is, why is Durant to the Warriors a bad thing but LeBron to Cleveland not?
I never said it wasn't. Maybe it's not as bad as he went home but he went from one stacked team in Miami to another in Cleveland.
"Be Legendary."

In2ition

Post by In2ition »

Superbone wrote:
Indy wrote:
Superbone wrote:
Indy wrote:
I never said it wasn't. Maybe it's not as bad as he went home but he went from one stacked team in Miami to another in Cleveland.
Wasn't Cleveland pretty much a sad sack of a team all 4 years he was gone? They eventually ended up flipping another #1 pick for Love, but it didn't play like a stacked team prior to him coming.
"When we all think alike, nobody is thinking" - Walter Lippmann
"Find out just what any people will quietly submit to and you have the exact measure of the injustice and wrong which will be imposed on them." ~ Frederick Douglass

Superbone

Post by Superbone »

In2ition wrote:
Superbone wrote:
Indy wrote:
Superbone wrote:
Indy wrote: It has been just as lopsided for the Cavs. Is it unfair that James decided to go play there?
Wasn't Cleveland pretty much a sad sack of a team all 4 years he was gone? They eventually ended up flipping another #1 pick for Love, but it didn't play like a stacked team prior to him coming.
Right, they stacked it when he got there just like in Miami.
"Be Legendary."

bajanguy008

Post by bajanguy008 »

carey wrote:
Split T wrote:This will be the 17th win by at least 20 points and the 75th game overall. So almost 1 in 4.
That has to be a record. Thanks for doing the leg work on that. I wonder how that compares to the regular season average.
Yes what a stat that is. I found myself watching hockey lol last night
SUNS Fan from the Land of Sun, Sea and Sand ;)

bajanguy008

Post by bajanguy008 »

Cap wrote:
Superbone wrote:
Cap wrote:Let's get this nonsense over and start the Finals.
Nope, it will not be rushed. Still starts June 1st.
:evil:
What I find weird about the scheduling ( 1st .. 4th .. 7th .. 9th .. 12th .. 15th .. 18th ) is they decided to stretch it out again no surprise but there is two days break between every game except Games 3 and 4 which I find puzzling as that might very well be one of the more crucial games in the series
SUNS Fan from the Land of Sun, Sea and Sand ;)

Indy

Post by Indy »

Superbone wrote:
In2ition wrote:
Superbone wrote:
Indy wrote:
Superbone wrote: Exactly. We have one super team in the West and one in the East. Guess who's playing in the NBA Finals?
I don't think you can say he went to a stacked team in Cleveland. If you are saying that traded their assets to get better players around him once he came back, I have a really hard time calling that anything but team building.

Ring_Wanted

Post by Ring_Wanted »

Irving was looking like a fake star before the King came back. People were calling Love a glorified Channing Frye. LeBron's impact is unmeasurable.

Cap

Post by Cap »

Indy wrote:
Superbone wrote:
In2ition wrote:
Superbone wrote:
Indy wrote: I guess my question is, why is Durant to the Warriors a bad thing but LeBron to Cleveland not?
I don't think you can say he went to a stacked team in Cleveland. If you are saying that traded their assets to get better players around him once he came back, I have a really hard time calling that anything but team building.
He leaves for a few years and they get three #1 picks. One turns into an All-Star in Irving, and the other two are traded for another All-Star. When you get three #1 picks and LBJ as an FA, you damn well ought to have a superteam. Let the Suns win three lotteries in short succession and get a GOAT FA, and I dare say even Robert Sarver could find some success.

TOO

Post by TOO »

Ring_Wanted wrote:Irving was looking like a fake star before the King came back. People were calling Love a glorified Channing Frye. LeBron's impact is unmeasurable.
This.

Kyrie won 20ish games a year, Love was huge stats winning 20ish games a year, LeBron is the sole reason that team is a contender.
👀 Fire Frank Vogel.

Mori Chu

Post by Mori Chu »

The real culprit for the cruddy state of the NBA's competitive balance today was the huge jump in the salary cap after the big new TV deal recently. It gave too many teams too much cap space all at once, allowing already great teams like the Warriors and Cavs to pursue one or even two max FAs to make their teams better. Durant probably shouldn't have been able to go to Golden State without taking a massive pay cut or without the Warriors having to gut their team by trading away a bunch of pieces. Also, the last CBA had clauses making it so that a team had almost no leverage to re-sign their own stars, because they reduced the amount of options teams had in terms of extensions and re-signed contracts being able to offer more money than team-change FA contracts.

These things will probably work themselves out in a few years. In fact the newest CBA has a lot of incentives to keep players on the same teams. And we aren't likely to have another salary cap jump like that in the immediate future. So once the current wave of contracts is ending, things should normalize. But in the meantime we have to watch a clump of years with the same small number of teams dominating the rest of the league.

ShelC

Post by ShelC »

KLove in Minny had bad teams and bad management his entire time there but went 40-42 his final year there. And as far as I know, Channing Frye never put up 20+ppg and 12+rpg for 4 straight seasons.