NBA Finals 2017: Warriors vs Cavs

Discussion of the league and of our favorite team.
Mori Chu

NBA Finals 2017: Warriors vs Cavs

Post by Mori Chu »

A "three-match" between Golden State and Cleveland. Both teams appear to be at essentially full strength, so it should be a good show. What do you think?

Dis · cuss!

Hermen

Re: NBA Finals 2017: Warriors vs Cavs

Post by Hermen »

This better be good.

Superbone

Post by Superbone »

I think it will be another blowout series in the Warriors favor. I think the best the Cavs can hope for is to win two games.
"Be Legendary."

carey

Re: RE: Re: NBA Finals 2017: Warriors vs Cavs

Post by carey »

Superbone wrote:I think it will be another blowout series in the Warriors favor. I think the best the Cavs can hope for is to win two games.
People keep saying that but I don't really know why. The Cavs were on cruise control and still destroyed teams in the playoffs. Look out if for some reason the Ws lose game 1. They haven't lost a game yet these playoffs. One chink in their armor...
Go Suns!

Og Snus!

Superbone

Post by Superbone »

We will see. I hope you're right for basketball sake.
"Be Legendary."

JustWinBaby

Post by JustWinBaby »

Does anyone, other than these two franchises fan bases, really like either of these teams?

The Warriors were interesting during their first championship run but I quite frankly I have got a little tired of their success. I also have a dislike for most of the Cav's roster.

I expect the ratings will be very high for these finals but is it really good for the overall health of the NBA?
I wanted Monty as our coach since D'Antoni left town. Nice choice James Jones.

carey

Post by carey »

The ratings will be high. Depends on what you mean by overall health.
Go Suns!

Og Snus!

Indy

Re: RE: Re: NBA Finals 2017: Warriors vs Cavs

Post by Indy »

carey wrote:
Superbone wrote:I think it will be another blowout series in the Warriors favor. I think the best the Cavs can hope for is to win two games.
People keep saying that but I don't really know why. The Cavs were on cruise control and still destroyed teams in the playoffs. Look out if for some reason the Ws lose game 1. They haven't lost a game yet these playoffs. One chink in their armor...
I will be surprised if it doesn't go to 7 games (barring a major injury). Keep in mind that even with IT, it looked like the Cavs would have rolled the Cs. You can't say the same for the Warriors and the Spurs. And I don't think the Warriors will get to play as fast as they want.

Indy

Post by Indy »

JustWinBaby wrote:Does anyone, other than these two franchises fan bases, really like either of these teams?

The Warriors were interesting during their first championship run but I quite frankly I have got a little tired of their success. I also have a dislike for most of the Cav's roster.

I expect the ratings will be very high for these finals but is it really good for the overall health of the NBA?
How do you measure health? I assume the owners of the company measure health by revenue streams and profit (like all businesses). I am not sure having a two-team rivalry is bad for the league. It worked really well in the past.

Hermen

Post by Hermen »

On one hand, I think GSW would win the title last year if Barnes would make an open shot here and there. Now they have Durant in his place, which seems enough and then some :)
But it's not like Cleveland isn't stacked either. James is a monstar, Love is everything you could want from a big on offense, and Irving seems super confident against the Warriors. A bad shooting night after a week without a game and anything goes.

ShelC

Post by ShelC »

Draymond and KD have made the Ws less likable. I don't dislike KD or really mind that he went to GS. I think less of him because he went there and I think if he wins, it'll hold less weight in terms of legacy. But I love his game and I think he's a great player. Draymond became as asshole with success, and that really bothers me.

The Cavs...LeBron's making his case for best player ever but I also think his legacy is a bit tainted because of his superteams. I think he's in such a zone that the game has become ridiculously easy for him which is why he's been showing off. I don't like his disrespecting teams/players like that. Stay classy. Plus, I hate that they coasted throughout the year, took games off, created their own drama about how good they really were and then blew thru the playoffs. Then, all the pundits are saying "LeBron really is the MVP." Well, if he were the Cavs would've been playing like this all year. Other than that, I really don't have anything against the Cavs.

I guess it's easier to hate on LeBron so I'm kind of rooting for the W. I think they play better basketball all around. They got there without KD, whereas the Cavs would be a 2nd round out without LBJ and just Kyrie and Love.

Cap

Post by Cap »

ShelC wrote:LeBron's making his case for best player ever but I also think his legacy is a bit tainted because of his superteams.
When Michael Jordan retired the first time, the Bulls replaced him with Pete Myers and made no other significant changes to the roster. They went 55-27 and contended for a title, and Pippen contended for MVP. This wasn't some cast of losers that MJ put on his back and carried to six championships; it was a great team plus MJ. Des that taint his legacy?

ShelC

Post by ShelC »

No because he was 1A and Pippen was his #2. Pippen as a #1 couldn't get them there. Who else? Rodman? L*****y? Ron Harper? Kukoc? Fine role players, but not top 3 picks in their drafts or all-nba talents. Nor did any of them get together as FAs and pick a destination to go to play together. MJ didn't jump ship after 98 and go to the Lakers with Shaq and Kobe.

Cap

Post by Cap »

ShelC wrote:No because he was 1A and Pippen was his #2. Pippen as a #1 couldn't get them there.
No, just almost there. Do you think LeBron was not 1A on any of his championship teams? Do you think any of those teams could have won it all without LeBron? If not, how is this a difference between the LeBron and MJ?

Ring_Wanted

Post by Ring_Wanted »

Rodman and Kukoc were way more than fine role players. Rodman has a case for best role player ever and Kukoc is similar to Ginobili in the sense that he gave up his numbers for winning, but his quality was tremendous. Horace Grant was an athletic 15-10. He and BJ Armstrong were even one time allstars. Kerr set the alltime record for 3pt %. Those Bulls were stacked beyond Jordan, that's why they won 50+ with just Pippen. Because it was not just Pippen.

ShelC

Post by ShelC »

So were DWade, Kyrie, Love, Bosh all role players? I think on the Heat, he and DWade were pretty much equals during that stretch and Wade was a top 5 player who already had a ring. Bosh was one of the top PFs in the game when he went to Miami.

The Bulls teams were stacked with great role players surrounding MJ but none of them, on their own, would've had success (Rodman, Kukoc in particular). He wasn't playing with Isiah Thomas, Charles Barkley, Karl Malone, Larry Bird, or Gary Payton. If the Cavs were LBJ with Avery Bradley running point, JR/Iman, Tristan and a 5 like Robin or Brook Lopez, would they be as dominant?

Flagrant Fowl

Post by Flagrant Fowl »

JustWinBaby wrote:Does anyone, other than these two franchises fan bases, really like either of these teams?
I don't really like any team besides the Suns. I imagine it's the same for most fans, except for the few who don't have a team and just follow individual players.

Personally, it usually boils down to the team I dislike more, which would be Cleveland because I don't like the owner (Quicken Loans? Fucking crook) and I'm essentially anti-Ohio everything.
Send me a PM if you're interested in joining the phx-suns.net fantasy basketball league.

jonh

Post by jonh »

Warriors in 6.

Story after game 2 about LeBron wanting more from Kevin Love.

Story in the offseason about Irving being frustrated about his lack of touches in the Finals.

That being said, this is probably the least interested I have been in the finals in several years. I don't find a lot of joy in watching the same 2 teams go at it a 3rd time in a row. Wish the NBA could try to create more parity.

Indy

Post by Indy »

jonh wrote:Warriors in 6.

Story in the offseason about Irving being frustrated about his lack of touches in the Finals.

That being said, this is probably the least interested I have been in the finals in several years. I don't find a lot of joy in watching the same 2 teams go at it a 3rd time in a row. Wish the NBA could try to create more parity.
Without screwing the players by getting rid of guaranteed contracts, I think the best way they could do that would be to make it easier for marquee players to switch teams often, and heavily punish teams for having too many marquee players (but not financially since NY/LA types can always pay more taxes/fines). Maybe if they did a much higher revenue share between teams, too?

jonh

Post by jonh »

Indy wrote:
jonh wrote:Warriors in 6.

Without screwing the players by getting rid of guaranteed contracts, I think the best way they could do that would be to make it easier for marquee players to switch teams often, and heavily punish teams for having too many marquee players (but not financially since NY/LA types can always pay more taxes/fines). Maybe if they did a much higher revenue share between teams, too?
Its an interesting idea, but wouldn't making it easier for marquee players to switch teams lead to more stars trying to create superteams?