NBA Finals 2017: Warriors vs Cavs

Discussion of the league and of our favorite team.
In2ition

Re: NBA Finals 2017: Warriors vs Cavs

Post by In2ition »

JustWinBaby wrote:
Superbone wrote:Just as I thought, Durant stacking the Warriors is the difference between there being competitive NBA basketball for years to come. What a shame.
Could happen but it has happened before. One of the most stacked teams of all time IMO was the 83/84 Lakers, and they didn't even beat the STACKED Celtic team that year.

This is what the first seven from that team looked like.

Kareem
James Worthy
Jamaal Wilkes
Magic Johnson
Byron Scott
Michael Cooper
Bob Mcadoo

There have been others, like the Celtics of that era. It was a foregone conclusion that we would see the Lakers versus the Celtics playing in the finals forever.

It seems obvious to me to the league is finally evolved into the vision of Mike D'Antoni. If you do not have the horses to play that way, you really have little chance to compete until there are rule changes back to the way the game was played when it was a big man's league based on holding and grabbing and pounding it inside.

This is what get's me interested in guys like Issac for our future. I really do not claim to be an expert on the talent available. But big guys that can run the court, shoot the 3 and defend are what this league is all about. Size and athleticism is required at all positions. Some say that the Warriors play small ball. With Durant on the court you are not a small team. Everyone in the Warrior's small ball line up can run, shoot and pass. Everyone is a willing passer. It is lethal. Imagine Durant or Thompson added to our 7 SOL teams.

I am excited about Chriss and Bender going forward. It will be very interesting to see whom we add this off season.
I think long, versatile defenders, who are athletic, can shoot and pass are how you are going to have to build to beat this Warriors team. You will need to have at least 4 and most likely 5 of those guys on the court at all times. I like Bender and Chriss, and I think the Suns will need more of those types of players to create and keep the other teams from creating mismatches.
"When we all think alike, nobody is thinking" - Walter Lippmann
"Find out just what any people will quietly submit to and you have the exact measure of the injustice and wrong which will be imposed on them." ~ Frederick Douglass

Indy

Post by Indy »

In2ition wrote:
JustWinBaby wrote:
Superbone wrote:Just as I thought, Durant stacking the Warriors is the difference between there being competitive NBA basketball for years to come. What a shame.
Could happen but it has happened before. One of the most stacked teams of all time IMO was the 83/84 Lakers, and they didn't even beat the STACKED Celtic team that year.

This is what the first seven from that team looked like.

Kareem
James Worthy
Jamaal Wilkes
Magic Johnson
Byron Scott
Michael Cooper
Bob Mcadoo

There have been others, like the Celtics of that era. It was a foregone conclusion that we would see the Lakers versus the Celtics playing in the finals forever.

It seems obvious to me to the league is finally evolved into the vision of Mike D'Antoni. If you do not have the horses to play that way, you really have little chance to compete until there are rule changes back to the way the game was played when it was a big man's league based on holding and grabbing and pounding it inside.

This is what get's me interested in guys like Issac for our future. I really do not claim to be an expert on the talent available. But big guys that can run the court, shoot the 3 and defend are what this league is all about. Size and athleticism is required at all positions. Some say that the Warriors play small ball. With Durant on the court you are not a small team. Everyone in the Warrior's small ball line up can run, shoot and pass. Everyone is a willing passer. It is lethal. Imagine Durant or Thompson added to our 7 SOL teams.

I am excited about Chriss and Bender going forward. It will be very interesting to see whom we add this off season.
I think long, versatile defenders, who are athletic, can shoot and pass are how you are going to have to build to beat this Warriors team. You will need to have at least 4 and most likely 5 of those guys on the court at all times. I like Bender and Chriss, and I think the Suns will need more of those types of players to create and keep the other teams from creating mismatches.
Isaac

Mori Chu

Post by Mori Chu »

I wonder if the Cavs would have won 1-2 of these first three games if they had a real NBA head coach.

carey

Post by carey »

Marty [Mori Chu] wrote:I wonder if the Cavs would have won 1-2 of these first three games if they had a real NBA head coach.
Was Lue not a real head coach when the Cavs won last year? I think he's being out coached but mostly it's the Cavaliers awful defense and that's on the players as much as the coaching staff.
Go Suns!

Og Snus!

Hermen

Post by Hermen »

I don't get why the Warriors play any time with both Curry and Durant on the bench, but they can pretty much do whatever.

In2ition

Post by In2ition »

Hermen wrote:I don't get why the Warriors play any time with both Curry and Durant on the bench, but they can pretty much do whatever.
I thought it is odd too, but it's working for them so maybe it's the best thing.
"Find out just what any people will quietly submit to and you have the exact measure of the injustice and wrong which will be imposed on them." ~ Frederick Douglass

bajanguy008

Post by bajanguy008 »

carey wrote:
Marty [Mori Chu] wrote:I wonder if the Cavs would have won 1-2 of these first three games if they had a real NBA head coach.
Was Lue not a real head coach when the Cavs won last year? I think he's being out coached but mostly it's the Cavaliers awful defense and that's on the players as much as the coaching staff.
From the instance Bron, Kyrie n Lue took the stance that we don't have to slow down the game and change how we play I had a problem with their gameplan. There is just no reason to not put Bron in the post more, as others said the team was built to have shooters around for him to pick apart double teams. Using dribble drives from the top of the key n Isos is more taxing but anyways bottom line they r getting worked

I not even that mad at Warriors because one team sharing the ball and the other team is just dribble dribble dribble. So yes they are stacked but I can appreciate motion, cutting and ball movement beating Iso ball
SUNS Fan from the Land of Sun, Sea and Sand ;)

MightyMoog

Post by MightyMoog »

Lebron started this whole crappy superteam era out of sheer ego. He was afraid he'd never win a championship, or not enough to catch Jordan, or maybe he thought it too much work. Whatever the actual reason, he got the ass end of the deal, because Durant only upped the ante. Lebron's only recourse now is to take a pay cut and convince his buddies, chris paul and wade to do the same to come to cleveland. I think we have another 3 years in the era of pussies, regardless.

TOO

Post by TOO »

At least we arent aimlessly chasing that 8th seed, eh guys? eh? guys?
I'd love to be part of history, ya know, one of those teams that got slaughtered by the Dubs on their way to 16-0. That'd be great.
Last edited by TOO on Thu Jun 08, 2017 9:51 pm, edited 1 time in total.
👀 Fire Frank Vogel.

jonh

Post by jonh »

There is a meme just waiting to be made with Kevin Durant quoting Darth Vader to Lebron:

We meet again at last. The circle is now complete. When I left you I was but the learner. Now, I am the master.

I think there would be a black mark on Lebron's career if he leaves the Cavs a second time.

Flagrant Fowl

Post by Flagrant Fowl »

jonh wrote:I think there would be a black mark on Lebron's career if he leaves the Cavs a second time.
A lot depends on if they can dig themselves out of cap hell while maintaining a supporting squad good enough to win a title.

Basically, they need to trade Kevin Love or Tristan Thompson. No one is touching that JR Smith contract.
Send me a PM if you're interested in joining the phx-suns.net fantasy basketball league.

Hermen

Post by Hermen »

MightyMoog wrote:Lebron started this whole crappy superteam era out of sheer ego. He was afraid he'd never win a championship, or not enough to catch Jordan, or maybe he thought it too much work. Whatever the actual reason, he got the ass end of the deal, because Durant only upped the ante. Lebron's only recourse now is to take a pay cut and convince his buddies, chris paul and wade to do the same to come to cleveland. I think we have another 3 years in the era of p******, regardless.
I "blame" the only-rings-matter method of evaluating players and teams.

ShelC

Post by ShelC »

The Ws are dangerous and can play that way because they're all basketball players. As good as our teams were in the 7SOL era, we didn't have well rounded players (Raja, Q, Shawn) or high IQ players (Amar'e, Steven Hunter, LB). Curry, Klay, Dray, KD, Iguodala, Livingston, Zaza, West...all extremely high IQ who can dribble, pass and shoot.

If you were to take a combo of players from our 7SOL team...guys like Nash, JJ, Boris, Hill, KT you'd be close but still be missing some length and athleticism.

With our newer players, he's young and it's only been a year but I don't see it with Chriss. I think he's more athlete than basketball player and doesn't have the perimeter skills we think he does. Bender hasn't proven anything, tho he seems to have the size, skills and athleticism. Booker is probably the only guy who would fit in seamlessly on GS.

Indy

Post by Indy »

ShelC wrote:The Ws are dangerous and can play that way because they're all basketball players. As good as our teams were in the 7SOL era, we didn't have well rounded players (Raja, Q, Shawn) or high IQ players (Amar'e, Steven Hunter, LB). Curry, Klay, Dray, KD, Iguodala, Livingston, Zaza, West...all extremely high IQ who can dribble, pass and shoot.

If you were to take a combo of players from our 7SOL team...guys like Nash, JJ, Boris, Hill, KT you'd be close but still be missing some length and athleticism.

With our newer players, he's young and it's only been a year but I don't see it with Chriss. I think he's more athlete than basketball player and doesn't have the perimeter skills we think he does. Bender hasn't proven anything, tho he seems to have the size, skills and athleticism. Booker is probably the only guy who would fit in seamlessly on GS.
I see it in flashes with Chriss. There are some plays he makes off the ball on defense that look like he knows what he is doing. Unfortunately, they don't come often enough. But again, he is a kid. Let's give him time. I really wish we had a really strong development team and they were working with the guys all day every day this summer.

ShelC

Post by ShelC »

I think the development comes early in life. Give me the kid who's been playing organized ball since he's 5 and has built up his skillset, been coached up on offense and defense, seen every game situation imaginable for 12-15 years. It's a constant journey...picking up the game at 13 or 14, playing in HS where you're the tallest or most athletic player, playing AAU in the summer and then doing a year of college will only lead to so much development. And once you get to the NBA, there's very little IQ development. Most guys work on their bodies or individual skills. Maybe they play in a pro league but it's just not the same.

O_Gardino

Post by O_Gardino »

ShelC wrote:I think the development comes early in life. Give me the kid who's been playing organized ball since he's 5 and has built up his skillset, been coached up on offense and defense, seen every game situation imaginable for 12-15 years. It's a constant journey...picking up the game at 13 or 14, playing in HS where you're the tallest or most athletic player, playing AAU in the summer and then doing a year of college will only lead to so much development. And once you get to the NBA, there's very little IQ development. Most guys work on their bodies or individual skills. Maybe they play in a pro league but it's just not the same.
There have been some good players who started playing later in life, but Chriss does have a long way to go. To be honest, Chriss is farther along than I expected. I like him a whole lot more than I liked him last season at this time.

But I would trade him to the Knicks for this year's #8 in a heartbeat.
The league needs heroes, villains... and clowns. -- Aztec Sunsfan

In2ition

Post by In2ition »

O_Gardino wrote:
ShelC wrote:I think the development comes early in life. Give me the kid who's been playing organized ball since he's 5 and has built up his skillset, been coached up on offense and defense, seen every game situation imaginable for 12-15 years. It's a constant journey...picking up the game at 13 or 14, playing in HS where you're the tallest or most athletic player, playing AAU in the summer and then doing a year of college will only lead to so much development. And once you get to the NBA, there's very little IQ development. Most guys work on their bodies or individual skills. Maybe they play in a pro league but it's just not the same.
There have been some good players who started playing later in life, but Chriss does have a long way to go. To be honest, Chriss is farther along than I expected. I like him a whole lot more than I liked him last season at this time.

I knew very little about Chriss at this time last year. Although I don't think he has the highest bbiq, I can say that it improved over the season. I also don't necessarily agree that you need to play your entire early life to gain a bbiq. I've seen tremendous growth in players after coming into the league. Amare didn't have much of one and unfortunately his knees betrayed him, but you could see his growth in his understanding of the game. Also, I wouldn't trade Chriss for the #8 pick in this draft, his value has grown on me.

Indy

Post by Indy »

O_Gardino wrote:

I am not sure I would. If we were talking about adding #5 to our #4, then I would. But I am worried about the drop from 5 on down.

ShelC

Post by ShelC »

I think after 7-8 is where the drop occurs. The issue is that most of the talent is in PGs, which we don't need. 4 is probably ideal because we'll have our pick of the the swings - Jackson, Isaac, Tatum. Aside from those guys, the top talents are Fultz, Ball, Fox, Smith Jr, Nkitilina, Monk.

O_Gardino

Post by O_Gardino »

No love for Kennard?! :mrgreen:
The league needs heroes, villains... and clowns. -- Aztec Sunsfan