Your Top Five for #4

Discussion of the league and of our favorite team.
Split T

Re: Your Top Five for #4

Post by Split T »

I'll take Jackson in the Jackson vs Isaac vs Tatum in 5 years wager.

Ring_Wanted

Post by Ring_Wanted »

Split T wrote:I'll take Jackson in the Jackson vs Isaac vs Tatum in 5 years wager.
Same.

Indy

Post by Indy »

I think the chances are that Jackson has a long, steady career as a player. But nothing special. I think his floor is well above the floor for Isaac. I just think there is a higher ceiling for Isaac, and am willing to take a gamble on that instead of drafting another ho-hum pick in the top 5 that turns out to be a middle-of-the-road player in 5 years *cough*Len*cough.

Split T

Post by Split T »

That's understandable, I'm actually pretty high on Isaac as well. As for Jackson, I look at him like a Michael Kidd Gilchrist or Justise Winslow, only he's skilled with the ball.

Kidd-Gilchrist was the 2ND pick in the draft because he was a great athlete with good size who played all out and at the very least would be a great defender. His offensive skills haven't ever developed, but he's a great defender/rebounder. Jackson has all those good qualities and he can also handle the ball, create his own shot, and create for others. Whether his jump shot is legit or not is a real question, but it's much further along than MKG.

He may never be a star, in fact I see him realistically ending up as a #2 guy, but put him on the right team with the right players and he'll be very successful.

TOO

Post by TOO »

What are the parameters to determine who is the best of the 3? All-star apprearances? Stats? Team success? I think Jackson and Issac will have similiar affects on their team as 2 way wings while I think Tatum will end up being the man on whatever team drafts him, how do we pick the winner?
Jones and Vogel out, Lue or Lee in, draft Grant Nelson or Tyler Kolek.

Split T

Post by Split T »

Stats are tricky. We could do some kind of all encompassing stat, all star/all-NBA selections, or we could just have the board vote on who they think is the best player.

3rdside

Post by 3rdside »

I tried to promote my "NBA Draft Power Rankings" game on ASFN last year - it didn't take off, probably because I over thought it and made it too complicated, but the refreshed idea is good I think:

The Game

1. Players of the NBA Draft Power Rankings game give their opinions on draft prospects that are found within arbitrary draft brackets.

2. Each draft prospect selected is scored out of 7 (7 being perennial all star, 1 being a bust) at the end of the first year.

3. This score is then updated again at the end of every subsequent year - a score can be revised upwards or downwards.

4. Every draft prospect you select in this draft, and every subsequent draft, will count towards your score.

5. Therefore, each player of the NBA Draft Power Rankings game will generate a cumulative average score in order to make valid comparisons with players that join in subsequent years.

The idea is to see if anyone on this board has an eye for talent over an above the 'experts' (Draftexpress.com is the reference site, with NBADraft.net also 'playing') - 10 or 20 years of data should start to throw up some trends, and if you're any good then maybe there's a job for you in the FO:

- http://www.dailymail.co.uk/sport/footba ... u-job.html
- https://www.gamespot.com/articles/meet- ... 0-6419397/

Arbitrary brackets for this year would be something like:

1. Pick the three best players in this draft.
2. Pick the best player out of Jackson, Tatum and Isaac.
3. Pick one bust from the top 10 (inverse score out of 7 awarded).
4. Pick the best player non-lottery first rounder.
5. Pick the best 2nd rounder.

I'm happy to do the scoring if you're happy with the game? We'd have to put some thought into things like career ending injuries, injuries in general, end of career tail offs etc but I think the basis is there and we can work on specifics as and when they crop up.

3rdside

Post by 3rdside »

Well that sunk this thread like a lead balloon.

I really should have profiled this refreshed version of the game on ASFN where I started it, but i guess it was like a trial run of sorts. That being said, I'm definitely less enthusiastic about it this year than last so I'll consider the cold, hard blank a blessing in disguise..

O_Gardino

Post by O_Gardino »

The more I watch video on Monk, the better I like Fox. I know I've been tough on Fox's passing, but you can see him making some good passes in the Monk highlight videos. Maybe Fox is a better passer than I thought. A lot of smart people like him.

Ball
Jackson
Fox
Isaac
Monk
The league needs heroes, villains... and clowns. -- Aztec Sunsfan

DrSublime

Post by DrSublime »

Josh Jackson
Jayson Tatum
De'Aaron Fox
Lonzo Ball
Jonathan Isaac
~~~~~

Bruiser

Post by Bruiser »

Jonathan Isaac
Frank Ntilikina
Jayson Tatum
Lonzo Ball
Malik Monk

** EDIT: Removed Fultz from the top, Ntilikina +1, added Ball
Last edited by Bruiser on Sun Jun 18, 2017 1:05 pm, edited 1 time in total.

JCSunsfan

Post by JCSunsfan »

Lonzo Ball just moved up on my list because of THIS:
[tweet]
[/tweet]

Superbone

Post by Superbone »

JCSunsfan wrote:Lonzo Ball just moved up on my list because of THIS:
[tweet]
[/tweet]
Don't get Carey on your ass! ;) I said the same thing about liking Ball better after the Foot Locker piece.
"Be Legendary."

carey

Post by carey »

I don't care if you like him! It's totally cool, but I wanted to know why. The fact that he's slightly self deprecating in that ad? That whole thing is part of Lavar's plan imho. Just be careful what you fall for. :)
Go Suns!

Og Snus!

JCSunsfan

Post by JCSunsfan »

carey wrote:I don't care if you like him! It's totally cool, but I wanted to know why. The fact that he's slightly self deprecating in that ad? That whole thing is part of Lavar's plan imho. Just be careful what you fall for. :)
Oh. I am sure Lavar loves that ad.

Superbone

Post by Superbone »

There's no way that ad happens without LaVar's approval. We all know that. It's just the first personality I've seen from the kid. At least he has a good sense of humor as well as very good comic dead pan delivery which we all know is paramount to being a great basketball player.
"Be Legendary."

In2ition

Post by In2ition »

carey wrote:I don't care if you like him! It's totally cool, but I wanted to know why. The fact that he's slightly self deprecating in that ad? That whole thing is part of Lavar's plan imho. Just be careful what you fall for. :)
Muhuuhaha! :evil:
"When we all think alike, nobody is thinking" - Walter Lippmann
"Find out just what any people will quietly submit to and you have the exact measure of the injustice and wrong which will be imposed on them." ~ Frederick Douglass

In2ition

Post by In2ition »

Better than the outakes of Jordan's, "Is it in you?" 500 times to get ot right
"When we all think alike, nobody is thinking" - Walter Lippmann
"Find out just what any people will quietly submit to and you have the exact measure of the injustice and wrong which will be imposed on them." ~ Frederick Douglass

Atreides

Post by Atreides »

Jayson Tatum
Jonathan Isaac
Frank Ntilikina
Dennis Smith
De'Aaron Fox
"The falling leaf does hate the wind"

TOO

Post by TOO »

Atreides wrote:Jayson Tatum
Jonathan Isaac
Frank Ntilikina
Dennis Smith
De'Aaron Fox
Is this in order?

It seems that our foreign members are higher on French Frank than most.
Jones and Vogel out, Lue or Lee in, draft Grant Nelson or Tyler Kolek.