Your Top Five for #4

Discussion of the league and of our favorite team.
The Bobster

Re: Your Top Five for #4

Post by The Bobster »

1 - Fultz
2 - Ball
3 - Jackson

* Tatum
* Fox
* Isaac
* Smith
* Monk
Author of The Basketball Draft Fact Book: A History of Professional Basketball's College Drafts
Available from Scarecrow Press at - https://rowman.com/ISBN/9780810890695

ShelC

Post by ShelC »

I think you take Fox and figure out moving Bledsoe and Knight after. Fox and Booker could be a tremendous backcourt.

carey

Post by carey »

I'm still trying to sell myself on the SFs available & I just can't. I want to like Tatum & Jackson bec I do think we end up with one of them but I'm a big fan of Warren. He improved so much defensively last year. If he adds a 3-point shot he will be an every day SF for someone if not us.
Go Suns!

Og Snus!

O_Gardino

Post by O_Gardino »

ShelC wrote:Agreed on Jackson. I'm not big on taking wings so early in the draft unless they're transcendent, can't-miss prospects. Jackson's profile and hype seems to fall in line with the list of players you mentioned. And I think SFs are mostly a dime a dozen. A legit SG, a franchise PG, a dominant PF/C are much harder to come by.
This draft is full of guys who can be easily written off.

Jackson and Tatum are big SFs who are def not the complete package.
Monk is the typical tiny gunner.
Isaac, Markanen, and Collins are the big guys who may not be basketball players.
Fox and Smith are the athletic PGs who are so-so passers.
Ntilikina is the mystery Euro who know how to play but may not have the mental toughness to compete at this level.

For me, it's about who I think has "It" mentally and can grow out of their weaknesses, or who I think can flourish on this particular team.
The league needs heroes, villains... and clowns. -- Aztec Sunsfan

EternalChampion

Post by EternalChampion »

carey wrote:I'm still trying to sell myself on the SFs available & I just can't. I want to like Tatum & Jackson bec I do think we end up with one of them but I'm a big fan of Warren. He improved so much defensively last year. If he adds a 3-point shot he will be an every day SF for someone if not us.
I'm not against either Jackson or Tatum although I have concerns about each of them. But I agree on TJ, I think he's already a solid starter and is just a consistent 3 point shot away from being an all star level player.

Mori Chu

Post by Mori Chu »

These prospects all suck. Too many of them can't shoot, can't defend, or are missing other skills generally expected or required for their position. The 1-and-done model sends these guys into the NBA before they are ready. We are forced to fix incomplete broken players hoping that we can mold and fix them.

TOO

Post by TOO »

Marty [Mori Chu] wrote:These prospects all suck. Too many of them can't shoot, can't defend, or are missing other skills generally expected or required for their position. The 1-and-done model sends these guys into the NBA before they are ready. We are forced to fix incomplete broken players hoping that we can mold and fix them.
Or people, sports fans specifically tend to believe negatives outweigh positives. Such is life. This is a really really good top 8 or 9 this year, we're gonna get a good player. (Unless we draft Isaac 8-) )
👀 Fire Frank Vogel.

Cap

Post by Cap »

O_Gardino wrote:
ShelC wrote:Agreed on Jackson. I'm not big on taking wings so early in the draft unless they're transcendent, can't-miss prospects. Jackson's profile and hype seems to fall in line with the list of players you mentioned. And I think SFs are mostly a dime a dozen. A legit SG, a franchise PG, a dominant PF/C are much harder to come by.
This draft is full of guys who can be easily written off.
Compared to last year, it's a smorgasbord of talent.

Split T

Post by Split T »

Marty [Mori Chu] wrote:These prospects all suck. Too many of them can't shoot, can't defend, or are missing other skills generally expected or required for their position. The 1-and-done model sends these guys into the NBA before they are ready. We are forced to fix incomplete broken players hoping that we can mold and fix them.
This is a weird draft for you to make an anti 1-and-done statement. Fultz, ball, Jackson, fox, Tatum, Smith and markkanen are all ready for the NBA and will make positive contributions next year.

O_Gardino

Post by O_Gardino »

It's called Player Development.
The league needs heroes, villains... and clowns. -- Aztec Sunsfan

ShelC

Post by ShelC »

I'm ready to take this guy at 4. Latvian guy I liked for us at 32. He's gonna rise fast.

https://twitter.com/DraftExpress/status/871112566801522688

https://twitter.com/Mike_Schmitz/status/871125917250211840

In2ition

Post by In2ition »

ShelC wrote:I'm ready to take this guy at 4. Latvian guy I liked for us at 32. He's gonna rise fast.

https://twitter.com/DraftExpress/status/871112566801522688

https://twitter.com/Mike_Schmitz/status/871125917250211840

I've been talking him up for like 6 months now. Hoping he falls to 32, but I doubt it. I've been saying he actually has a chance to turn into what we hoped Len would.
"When we all think alike, nobody is thinking" - Walter Lippmann
"Find out just what any people will quietly submit to and you have the exact measure of the injustice and wrong which will be imposed on them." ~ Frederick Douglass

carey

Post by carey »

#4 is really high for him but no way he lasts until #32. The hype train is building.
Go Suns!

Og Snus!

Split T

Post by Split T »

Every now and then Len would look like this. My worry would be that anzejs looks good on the court by himself but not so much against competition. Has anyone seen him in actual games?

In2ition

Post by In2ition »

Split T wrote:Every now and then Len would look like this. My worry would be that anzejs looks good on the court by himself but not so much against competition. Has anyone seen him in actual games?
They have a bunch on youtube.
[youtube][/youtube]
"Find out just what any people will quietly submit to and you have the exact measure of the injustice and wrong which will be imposed on them." ~ Frederick Douglass

TOO

Post by TOO »

Alec Brown 2.0

Seriously though, zero interest in another euro project.
👀 Fire Frank Vogel.

In2ition

Post by In2ition »

TheOriginalOriginal wrote:Alec Brown 2.0

Seriously though, zero interest in another euro project.
Draft and stash if you like. He was a teammate of Porzingas when they were younger. Both had high projections, but for some reason he didn't develop as quickly as Kristaps. Now, he's starting to develop the promise he showed early on.

Indy

Post by Indy »

TheOriginalOriginal wrote:
Or people, sports fans specifically tend to believe negatives outweigh positives. Such is life. This is a really really good top 8 or 9 this year, we're gonna get a good player. (Unless we draft Isaac 8-) )
We should make a wager on this. Isaac against Jackson. Who is the better player in 5 years. I love a bet with a long life.

TOO

Post by TOO »

Indy wrote:
TheOriginalOriginal wrote:
We should make a wager on this. Isaac against Jackson. Who is the better player in 5 years. I love a bet with a long life.
But I'm a Tatum guy :(

I'm in either way
👀 Fire Frank Vogel.

Shabazz

Post by Shabazz »

EternalChampion wrote:
carey wrote:I'm still trying to sell myself on the SFs available & I just can't. I want to like Tatum & Jackson bec I do think we end up with one of them but I'm a big fan of Warren. He improved so much defensively last year. If he adds a 3-point shot he will be an every day SF for someone if not us.
I'm not against either Jackson or Tatum although I have concerns about each of them. But I agree on TJ, I think he's already a solid starter and is just a consistent 3 point shot away from being an all star level player.
I think Jackson and TJ can share the floor. I kind of like the idea of a Booker-Jackson-TJ-Chriss-Bender lineup in stretches. Jackson and TJ can also be an interchangeable 3-4 combo, although one that doesn't feature much 3 point shooting.

I don't think Tatum and TJ fit together at all.