Suns Draft Davon Reed at #32

Discussion of the league and of our favorite team.
Split T

Re: Suns Draft Davon Reed at #32

Post by Split T »

O_Gardino wrote:I don't think you get fancy in the second round. If there's a guy you like, just take him. 90% of these guys don't make it. If there's a guy you think is going to be an NBA player, just take that guy.

I do think it's funny that McD seems to only stock one position each year, but I project Reed as more of a 2 than a 3. He's too short to play 3 in the modern NBA.
His 7'0 wingspan will help. He's probably not defending the Lebron/Antetokounmpo/Durant guys, but he can defend Butler, Kawhi, Hayward, at least size wise, I don't know yet about skill wise.

Cap

Post by Cap »

O_Gardino wrote:I don't think you get fancy in the second round. If there's a guy you like, just take him. 90% of these guys don't make it. If there's a guy you think is going to be an NBA player, just take that guy.

I do think it's funny that McD seems to only stock one position each year, but I project Reed as more of a 2 than a 3. He's too short to play 3 in the modern NBA.
His wingspan compensates for his height. 6’5” height with a 7'0" wingspan is adequate for SF.

ETA: Ninja'ed by Split.

Aztec Sunsfan

Post by Aztec Sunsfan »

Once the salary scale is gone, I think you either swing for the fences or stay close to what you already know and unless there is an offer on the table, you just take the guy you want and forget about "reaching", is too much of a crapshoot this low in the Draft. And we needed a 2/3 swing for depth anyway.

Mori Chu

Post by Mori Chu »

That makes a lot of sense. Maybe McDo took a look at some of the more popular 2nd round prospects and wasn't thrilled. Or maybe he just really liked what he saw in Reed. I'll be patient and give him a chance.

Superbone

Post by Superbone »

He's listed as a SG on his Wikipedia page and Peters a SF.
"Be Legendary."

djy2j

Post by djy2j »

Don't HATE the pick but players would have preferred Bolden, Bell, Semi.
The artist formerly known as Y2JJEDIPIMP on .net

"Just like Neal Armstrong I went to space and now I'm back..."

JCSunsfan

Post by JCSunsfan »

They really liked him and they want shooting. Mocks don't mean much. Reporters don't make the picks. If McD was this high on the guy, I bet other GM's knew about him too. I doubt he would have lasted to 54.

Superbone

Post by Superbone »

JCSunsfan wrote:They really liked him and they want shooting. Mocks don't mean much. Reporters don't make the picks. If McD was this high on the guy, I bet other GM's knew about him too. I doubt he would have lasted to 54.
Gambo says he would not have and I have no reason to doubt him. He seemed to have pretty good information about the draft.
"Be Legendary."

JCSunsfan

Post by JCSunsfan »

Superbone wrote:
JCSunsfan wrote:They really liked him and they want shooting. Mocks don't mean much. Reporters don't make the picks. If McD was this high on the guy, I bet other GM's knew about him too. I doubt he would have lasted to 54.
Gambo says he would not have and I have no reason to doubt him. He seemed to have pretty good information about the draft.
We have a bunch of young, potential studs on this team. We need some young solid role players.

Shabazz

Post by Shabazz »

This was entirely a pick about fit vs. BPA. I think Bell, Bolden and Semi are better prospects, but we're loaded at the 3 (Jackson, Warren, DJJ) and 4 (Chriss, Bender, Dudley) and if two out of Len, Williams and Chandler are coming back then we would have had room for none of them to see rotation minutes.

I'm not sure I agree with that logic. Things happen and rotation spots open up. But we don't have a player like Reed on our roster, so there was a premium put on his skillset.

Maybe he can be Raja 2.0?

In2ition

Post by In2ition »

I like him and what I've seen him do. Will stay within himself and do what's asked in the offense. If Ball was picked, then Bell would have been a great pick up for that style of play. Really surprised that LA didn't pick him, ut thought Hart was a good choice for them too.
"When we all think alike, nobody is thinking" - Walter Lippmann
"Find out just what any people will quietly submit to and you have the exact measure of the injustice and wrong which will be imposed on them." ~ Frederick Douglass

carey

Post by carey »

Shabazz wrote:This was entirely a pick about fit vs. BPA. I think Bell, Bolden and Semi are better prospects, but we're loaded at the 3 (Jackson, Warren, DJJ) and 4 (Chriss, Bender, Dudley) and if two out of Len, Williams and Chandler are coming back then we would have had room for none of them to see rotation minutes.

I'm not sure I agree with that logic. Things happen and rotation spots open up. But we don't have a player like Reed on our roster, so there was a premium put on his skillset.

Good points. And I hope he's better than Raja. :)
Go Suns!

Og Snus!

bajanguy008

Post by bajanguy008 »

Shabazz wrote:This was entirely a pick about fit vs. BPA. I think Bell, Bolden and Semi are better prospects, but we're loaded at the 3 (Jackson, Warren, DJJ) and 4 (Chriss, Bender, Dudley) and if two out of Len, Williams and Chandler are coming back then we would have had room for none of them to see rotation minutes.

This was my post from this evening in the draft grade thread. Were you using my notes Shabazz ? :D
I think Jackson is gonna fit well and without seeing Reed I like the idea behind the pick. I've seen him compared to fellow Hurricane Josh Richardson and also Danny Green which either way would be somebody we could use for 10-15. Bell is a talent, that can't be argued but we made a mess of the Forward rotations last season with most of us being frustrated that PJ n Duds were taking minutes from the young guys. So if you were to add both Jackson and Bell to Chriss - TJ - Bender I'm not sure how the minutes split up . so just my two cents.
SUNS Fan from the Land of Sun, Sea and Sand ;)

Shabazz

Post by Shabazz »

bajanguy008 wrote:

This was my post from this evening in the draft grade thread. Were you using my notes Shabazz ? :D
I think Jackson is gonna fit well and without seeing Reed I like the idea behind the pick. I've seen him compared to fellow Hurricane Josh Richardson and also Danny Green which either way would be somebody we could use for 10-15. Bell is a talent, that can't be argued but we made a mess of the Forward rotations last season with most of us being frustrated that PJ n Duds were taking minutes from the young guys. So if you were to add both Jackson and Bell to Chriss - TJ - Bender I'm not sure how the minutes split up . so just my two cents.
Just great minds thinking alike. I haven't read that thread yet. Working my way backwards from last night.

Uncle_Gene

Post by Uncle_Gene »

A 6'5 PG that can defend and shoot ? Not bad at all to me.
Phoenix Suns 2023-24NBA Champions !