Suns Draft Davon Reed at #32

Discussion of the league and of our favorite team.
Split T

Suns Draft Davon Reed at #32

Post by Split T »

I like him, he's going to be a rotation player. Think we could have waited.

Ring_Wanted

Re: Suns Draft Davon Reed at #32

Post by Ring_Wanted »

3D wing but I don't see how he'd crack the rotation if Jackson and Warren are healthy. There were other prospects with more appealing.

Flagrant Fowl

Post by Flagrant Fowl »

Ehh, okay. Let's wait and see.
Send me a PM if you're interested in joining the phx-suns.net fantasy basketball league.

Split T

Post by Split T »

If we let barbosa go and move knight, he can get some backup minutes at the 2.

Wally_West

Post by Wally_West »

I just don't understand why draft him at 32. We probably could've traded down and maybe got another second rounder and still got him.

Split T

Post by Split T »

Similar size, stats, skills and draft position as Khris Middleton, just sayin'

Split T

Post by Split T »

Also, shot 55% on uncontested 3's. That's a really interesting stat.

carey

Post by carey »

Wally_West wrote:I just don't understand why draft him at 32. We probably could've traded down and maybe got another second rounder and still got him.

https://twitter.com/Gambo987/status/878089350868639744

Go Suns!

Og Snus!

Wally_West

Post by Wally_West »

Not saying he won't end up being serviceable, just that we didn't need to use the 32nd pick on him. We probably could've traded down to the mid 40's and still got him. Then again you never know. Getting Jackson at 4 already made this draft an A for me so I'm good I guess.

Split T

Post by Split T »

Wally_West wrote:Not saying he won't end up being serviceable, just that we didn't need to use the 32nd pick on him. We probably could've traded down to the mid 40's and still got him. Then again you never know. Getting Jackson at 4 already made this draft an A for me so I'm good I guess.
Possible, gambo says he wouldn't have lasted. Really hard to know in round 2. Apparently he was super impressive in workouts.

Superbone

Post by Superbone »

I don't know anything about him. I look forward to finding out more. Summer league is only a couple weeks away.
"Be Legendary."

Ring_Wanted

Post by Ring_Wanted »

Split T wrote:Similar size, stats, skills and draft position as Khris Middleton, just sayin'
Gotta admit, I have a much better opinion on the pick after reading and watching more.

Mori Chu

Post by Mori Chu »

I don't really get this pick. It's great if he had a strong workout, but there were other prospects there like J.Bell and Semi who seemed more highly regarded/coveted by other teams. I would have preferred taking one of those guys, either for ourselves or as an asset to flip to another team. Or if we liked Reed so much, maybe trading down 10-15 picks, getting Reed there, and maybe picking up an asset.

But, standard disclaimer, I'm the Jon Snow of college hoops; when it comes to these players, I know nothing. Maybe he's great.

ShelC

Post by ShelC »

I like this pick. He's solid if unspectacular and I like 2nd round guys who are older (Junior/Senior), have been coached up for a bunch of years, played in a ton of games and can come in right away and (hopefully) make an impact. High character, mature and should fit in with Booker and maybe help with Chriss and Bender a bit (and vice versa). There were a bunch of 6-5/6-6 SGs and SFs in the 2nd round but some didn't have the measureables (Brooks, White, Hart). Reed's a 6-5 swing with a 7-0 wingspan and uses it. He can play a bit bigger than he is, a threat from deep and just a solid role player. I know we all like TJ and want him to succeed, but Reed has that NBA -ready game.

Wormwood

Post by Wormwood »

Why? He could have been had significantly lower according to everyone but Gambo. He's a good, but not great 3 point shooter. He needs to bring something else to the table to be worth it though.

carey

Post by carey »

Wormwood wrote:Why? He could have been had significantly lower according to everyone but Gambo. He's a good, but not great 3 point shooter. He needs to bring something else to the table to be worth it though.
Reed is adamant he can be more than a 3 & D player: http://arizonasports.com/story/1155811/ ... -shooting/
Go Suns!

Og Snus!

bajanguy008

Post by bajanguy008 »

carey wrote:
Wormwood wrote:Why? He could have been had significantly lower according to everyone but Gambo. He's a good, but not great 3 point shooter. He needs to bring something else to the table to be worth it though.
Reed is adamant he can be more than a 3 & D player: http://arizonasports.com/story/1155811/ ... -shooting/
No surprise on McD's take about guys who can factor on the perimeter defense. That was my initial guess but more importantly like someone else said the stats can be analyzed but I think the four year senior maturity should be a big factor in his approach/maturity and what we get out of him
SUNS Fan from the Land of Sun, Sea and Sand ;)

Split T

Post by Split T »

He's got some playmaking chops, he's a good defender, and I think he can be a great 3 pt shooter. He shot 40% on 6 attempts a game, that's pretty good!

My only complaint as well is it seems like he could have been had lower, but it's hard to know for sure.

ShelC

Post by ShelC »

Projections in the 2nd round tend to be all over the place. If Reed was our guy, I'm fine with us grabbing him when we did. Semi and Jordan Bell were there and we passed so we obviously put a value on toughness and defense.

O_Gardino

Post by O_Gardino »

I don't think you get fancy in the second round. If there's a guy you like, just take him. 90% of these guys don't make it. If there's a guy you think is going to be an NBA player, just take that guy.

I do think it's funny that McD seems to only stock one position each year, but I project Reed as more of a 2 than a 3. He's too short to play 3 in the modern NBA.
The league needs heroes, villains... and clowns. -- Aztec Sunsfan