Suns draft Alec Peters at 54

Discussion of the league and of our favorite team.
Cap

Re: Suns draft Alec Peters at 54

Post by Cap »

Split T wrote:I think Ulis is out with injury, right? He had surgery I believe. Peters is being held out too, so we've got Reed/Jackson/Chriss/Bender at the 2-5. We need our PG, Kobi Simmons? Or we could just run Reed/Jones Jr/Jackson/Chriss/Bender and just let Reed, Jackson, and Bender share ball handling duties. Could be a good learning opportunity. And that team defensively would be awesome. Literally can just switch everything.
It takes more than individually skilled defenders to make an awesome defensive team, especially if you're switching everything. It also takes great coaching to make schemes like that work. I don't think we have it.

O_Gardino

Post by O_Gardino »

Split T wrote:I think Ulis is out with injury, right? He had surgery I believe. Peters is being held out too, so we've got Reed/Jackson/Chriss/Bender at the 2-5. We need our PG, Kobi Simmons? Or we could just run Reed/Jones Jr/Jackson/Chriss/Bender and just let Reed, Jackson, and Bender share ball handling duties. Could be a good learning opportunity. And that team defensively would be awesome. Literally can just switch everything.
I would love to see Reed/Jones Jr/Jackson/Chriss/Bender all on court together in the summer league. letting Jackson and Bender be your main creators would be awesome for their development.
The league needs heroes, villains... and clowns. -- Aztec Sunsfan

Split T

Post by Split T »

Cap wrote:
It takes more than individually skilled defenders to make an awesome defensive team, especially if you're switching everything. It also takes great coaching to make schemes like that work. I don't think we have it.
I guess I should say potential to be awesome defensively.

Wormwood

Post by Wormwood »

rhylek wrote:
UglyTruth wrote:This guy's game is similar to that one foreign shooter we had on our team couple years ago and he was actually somewhat decent. Gosh I can't think of his name right now but he was on the Nets before he played for us I think and after he played for us he got overpaid by some other team. Too lazy right now, I'll look it up tomorrow once I wake up.
Teletovic?
He reminds me a but of Wally Sczerbiak, actually.

Wormwood

Post by Wormwood »

In terms of development, though, Bender is WAYYY behind Chriss.

JCSunsfan

Post by JCSunsfan »

Wormwood wrote:In terms of development, though, Bender is WAYYY behind Chriss.
I don't think it will be that way for long, especially if Len leaves. One of those two is going to get minutes at center which will open up minutes at pf.

Aztec Sunsfan

Post by Aztec Sunsfan »

And remember that we don't want all of our players arriving at the same time, teacher's favorites first please. Hopefully, Bender overcomes Watson's minutes and leash fixing, and forces the coach to play him.

By the way, what's up with that Watson-to-UCLA history? It would save face for everybody and allow us to hire a real coach instead of this mediocre babysitter.

ShelC

Post by ShelC »

I think Bender is a skilled basketball player who needed time to fill out his body. In terms of actual basketball ability and IQ, I think Chriss is way behind. Hopefully Watson cuts the umbilical cord with Chriss and gets Bender some PT.

O_Gardino

Post by O_Gardino »

Completely disagree. Chriss has the more aggressive attitude on offense. Bender is a far better defender, and far better at reading the offense and making the right play. He was just shy about looking to score, and didn't shoot as well as he needed to.
The league needs heroes, villains... and clowns. -- Aztec Sunsfan

Superbone

Post by Superbone »

Vladimir_Taltos wrote:Hidey ho, all...and let's see....isn't that what summer league is for? To see what a guy can give you?

VT
Not this guy. My understanding is he won't be playing in Summer League due to still recovering from injury.
"Be Legendary."

INFORMER

Post by INFORMER »

Delayed response: I really like this pick.
Trendon Watford. Please and thank you.

Sunsfan4life

Post by Sunsfan4life »

O_Gardino wrote:
Completely disagree. Chriss has the more aggressive attitude on offense. Bender is a far better defender, and far better at reading the offense and making the right play. He was just shy about looking to score, and didn't shoot as well as he needed to.
Bender understands the game of basketball better then Chriss does IMO. I think you'll see Bender improve at a better rate because he seems to understand things such as recognizing mismatches and double teams, and swinging the ball to an open shooter, and what a good shot is compared to chucking, and actual defensive positioning compared to just using your athleticism to get boards and block shots.

Chriss is more aggressive for sure and the more confident player. Chriss had a better rookie campaign than I thought he would, but I still am not sold on him. Wasn't on draft night, and am not now. Guys with that low of a Bball IQ who relay on their athleticism tend not to improve at a great rate. Really hope I'm wrong.
“Kobe had said (after the play) I wasn’t hugged enough as a child,” Bell recalled. “My mom kind of found him after the instance and we had beat them and offered him a hug in the bowels of the Phoenix arena. She really feels a part of that story.”

Sunsfan4life

Post by Sunsfan4life »

Wormwood wrote:I REALLY like this pick. He has two (three) college stats that translate extremely well to the NBA: 3 point %, Rebounding, and FT %. He's a better shooter than Reed: in his Junior year he shot 44%. Almost 90% FT shooter. Right around 50% from the field. Teletovic is good comparison.

He had a down year his senior year, but was battling injury. The big knock on him is strength, which can be addressed more easily than some other issues.

Excellent value for the money pick. Gut feeling is that he becomes a NBA stretch 4, and is one of those guys like Frye who always has a good real-plus-minus but not eye popping stats.

He was 1 of the guys I had on my list at 32 actually. Excellent breakdown of him, if he doesn't get hurt I think more people know who he is because Valpo had a chance to make a run in the tourney as 1 of those mid-major darlings. He's stronger and more polished then Alec Brown was. The injury was a bad one though, hopefully he gets back to 100% because he was an interesting prospect at full strength.
“Kobe had said (after the play) I wasn’t hugged enough as a child,” Bell recalled. “My mom kind of found him after the instance and we had beat them and offered him a hug in the bowels of the Phoenix arena. She really feels a part of that story.”

Mori Chu

Post by Mori Chu »

INFORMER wrote:Delayed response: I really like this pick.
In other words: :-)

D-

ShelC

Post by ShelC »

Pat. Garrity.

JCSunsfan

Post by JCSunsfan »

O_Gardino wrote:
I agree Bender seems to have a better bball IQ and skill set.

JCSunsfan

Post by JCSunsfan »

Sunsfan4life wrote:
Wormwood wrote:I REALLY like this pick. He has two (three) college stats that translate extremely well to the NBA: 3 point %, Rebounding, and FT %. He's a better shooter than Reed: in his Junior year he shot 44%. Almost 90% FT shooter. Right around 50% from the field. Teletovic is good comparison.

He had a down year his senior year, but was battling injury. The big knock on him is strength, which can be addressed more easily than some other issues.

Excellent value for the money pick. Gut feeling is that he becomes a NBA stretch 4, and is one of those guys like Frye who always has a good real-plus-minus but not eye popping stats.

He was 1 of the guys I had on my list at 32 actually. Excellent breakdown of him, if he doesn't get hurt I think more people know who he is because Valpo had a chance to make a run in the tourney as 1 of those mid-major darlings. He's stronger and more polished then Alec Brown was. The injury was a bad one though, hopefully he gets back to 100% because he was an interesting prospect at full strength.
Alec Brown isn't even in the same category and is a bad comparison. His game style is Kevin Love. Not saying he is any where near as good, its just that he has the same strengths and weaknesses.

Wormwood

Post by Wormwood »

ShelC wrote:Pat. Garrity.
Very good comparison, though I think Peters is a bit better shooter and rebounder.

Keep in mind, Garrity had a 10 year NBA career. That's great ROI on a late 2nd round pick.

Superbone

Post by Superbone »

Along the same lines (but inferior), I saw Alec Brown on the Lakers' summer league team bench.
"Be Legendary."

Mori Chu

Post by Mori Chu »

Pat Garrity might have even more of an impact in today's NBA. It's interesting to think about some players who were / weren't successful in the 1990s or 2000s NBA and to wonder about how successful they'd be now. For example, wouldn't Peja Stojakovic be an All-NBA player in 2018? Whose stock would rise/drop a ton if you transported them in their prime to 2018's NBA?