Suns 2017 Free Agency

Discussion of the league and of our favorite team.
Mori Chu

Re: Suns 2017 Free Agency

Post by Mori Chu »

Presumably any hypothetical Blake Griffin contract would mean the end of Alex Len's run as a Sun, yes? Not enough room to sign both, I would assume, without going way over the cap / into the tax (and the Suns wouldn't want to do that for Len I assume).

Superbone

Post by Superbone »

BlaCkAdDa wrote:I'm cool either way.. If he signed and bled and he stayed healthy I think we make the play-offs.
I don't think Griffin bleeding is going to help us make the playoffs.
"Too little, too late, too unbothered."
- Phoenix Suns 2023-2024 season motto.

"Be Legendary."

bajanguy008

Post by bajanguy008 »

Superbone wrote:
BlaCkAdDa wrote:I'm cool either way.. If he signed and bled and he stayed healthy I think we make the play-offs.
8/10
SUNS Fan from the Land of Sun, Sea and Sand ;)

In2ition

Post by In2ition »

Marty [Mori Chu] wrote:Presumably any hypothetical Blake Griffin contract would mean the end of Alex Len's run as a Sun, yes? Not enough room to sign both, I would assume, without going way over the cap / into the tax (and the Suns wouldn't want to do that for Len I assume).
Good question, but idk. Maybe they are counting on a couple other contracts expiring soon too.

What are they willing to do? Has Sarver learned his lessons over time about salaries and perception?
"When we all think alike, nobody is thinking" - Walter Lippmann
"Find out just what any people will quietly submit to and you have the exact measure of the injustice and wrong which will be imposed on them." ~ Frederick Douglass

JustWinBaby

Post by JustWinBaby »

Indy wrote:
JustWinBaby wrote:
Ring_Wanted wrote:
Indy wrote:Just say no to Blake, at pretty much any cost. I just don't see guys liking to play with him.
I wouldn't take that talent lightly. If he wants to play for PHX we should take it. Pairing Booker with a frontcourt player of his caliber should be a franchise goal. Probably the only realistic FA I'd consider.
Thank you. These are from guys that I expect were all over signing LMA. Who was older and a horrible fit for the rest of the roster. I expect some would love for us to acquire Kevin Love.

We need to be a team that shares the ball and runs the court. Griffin is a wiling passer as well as a dynamic offensive force. Sharing the ball comes from the not only the PG of choice but the head coach and player (s). That will happen in a projected lineup including Chriss or Bender along with Griffin, Jackson, Booker and Ulis. It should set the table for the rest of the team to play that way. I just think we took a big step in that direction by drafting Jackson, why no just add to the process. We should have the money and I would rather see it spent on someone that potentially could make a huge difference rather than some bargain basement free agent role player that will have no impact.

I think Griffin would be welcomed with open arms. I am tired of seeing us waste money on players like Chandler, Dudley and Barbosa and claiming they were fantastic moves. The facts are that we suck after all those fantastic additions. I want us to be relevant sooner than later. Griffin has also said that Phoenix is a great destination. What other quality free agent has said that in recent memory?

If Griffin ends up going to the Heat, which would be my choice if I were him, they will be a factor in the East baring any major injuries. I would not stay with the Clippers if I were him but that is what is probably going to happen.
You were in favor of resigning Amare for 100M too, right? The guy has missed a full season over the last 3. His durability isn't going to go up. Sure, if you can sign him for way under the market price, at way under the market years, fine. But that isn't going to happen.
How exactly, has it worked out after we did not sign Amare?

I believe the facts are that we have not made the playoffs since. If we would have kept him we would not have been able to pay the money we did to a lot of lame brains. We probably would be only 4 or 5 years removed from the playoffs going into next season, rather than 7. It may have been the right decision at the time but it did not work out worth a shit for the average Phoenix Suns fan. If anyone thinks otherwise, give me a freaking break. You are just protecting another false narrative created to protect our owners pocket book.
I wanted Monty as our coach since D'Antoni left town. Nice choice James Jones.

Wally_West

Post by Wally_West »

https://twitter.com/ramonashelburne/status/880549420609056768

JustWinBaby

Post by JustWinBaby »

Marty [Mori Chu] wrote:Presumably any hypothetical Blake Griffin contract would mean the end of Alex Len's run as a Sun, yes? Not enough room to sign both, I would assume, without going way over the cap / into the tax (and the Suns wouldn't want to do that for Len I assume).
I expect it would come do to either Chandler or Len. We also would not sign Williams. Hopefully we would keep Chandler and try to find a big via the draft, free agency or trade. I have hope that Bender is our future center. However I read somewhere that Watson might want to make him a PG. I hope that was not true.

The Bobster

Post by The Bobster »

Also, there is a big difference between going over the cap ($99 million) and going over the luxury tax threshold (which will probably be in the neighborhood of $115 million to $120 million)
Author of The Basketball Draft Fact Book: A History of Professional Basketball's College Drafts
Available from Scarecrow Press at - https://rowman.com/ISBN/9780810890695

Split T

Post by Split T »

JustWinBaby wrote:
I expect it would come do to either Chandler or Len. We also would not sign Williams. Hopefully we would keep Chandler and try to find a big via the draft, free agency or trade. I have hope that Bender is our future center. However I read somewhere that Watson might want to make him a PG. I hope that was not true.
No reason to not re-sign Williams. His cap hold is like 1.3 million. We'd just wait to sign him until after we use up our cap space. And Watson talked about Bender as a PG in summer league and more in the context of grabbing a rebound and going, Greek Freak style PG, not Chris Paul.

BlaCkAdDa

Post by BlaCkAdDa »

Superbone wrote:
well if he weren't injured ... Don't want a bar of millsap though.

Indy

Post by Indy »

JustWinBaby wrote:
Indy wrote:
JustWinBaby wrote:
Ring_Wanted wrote:
Indy wrote:Just say no to Blake, at pretty much any cost. I just don't see guys liking to play with him.
I wouldn't take that talent lightly. If he wants to play for PHX we should take it. Pairing Booker with a frontcourt player of his caliber should be a franchise goal. Probably the only realistic FA I'd consider.
Thank you. These are from guys that I expect were all over signing LMA. Who was older and a horrible fit for the rest of the roster. I expect some would love for us to acquire Kevin Love.

We need to be a team that shares the ball and runs the court. Griffin is a wiling passer as well as a dynamic offensive force. Sharing the ball comes from the not only the PG of choice but the head coach and player (s). That will happen in a projected lineup including Chriss or Bender along with Griffin, Jackson, Booker and Ulis. It should set the table for the rest of the team to play that way. I just think we took a big step in that direction by drafting Jackson, why no just add to the process. We should have the money and I would rather see it spent on someone that potentially could make a huge difference rather than some bargain basement free agent role player that will have no impact.

I think Griffin would be welcomed with open arms. I am tired of seeing us waste money on players like Chandler, Dudley and Barbosa and claiming they were fantastic moves. The facts are that we suck after all those fantastic additions. I want us to be relevant sooner than later. Griffin has also said that Phoenix is a great destination. What other quality free agent has said that in recent memory?

If Griffin ends up going to the Heat, which would be my choice if I were him, they will be a factor in the East baring any major injuries. I would not stay with the Clippers if I were him but that is what is probably going to happen.
You were in favor of resigning Amare for 100M too, right? The guy has missed a full season over the last 3. His durability isn't going to go up. Sure, if you can sign him for way under the market price, at way under the market years, fine. But that isn't going to happen.
How exactly, has it worked out after we did not sign Amare?

I believe the facts are that we have not made the playoffs since. If we would have kept him we would not have been able to pay the money we did to a lot of lame brains. We probably would be only 4 or 5 years removed from the playoffs going into next season, rather than 7. It may have been the right decision at the time but it did not work out worth a shit for the average Phoenix Suns fan. If anyone thinks otherwise, give me a freaking break. You are just protecting another false narrative created to protect our owners pocket book.
About the same as it did for the Knicks...

Indy

Post by Indy »

Pretty sure the Suns have only 25M to spend, but think they had to renounce Len to get that much. S&T with Bled going back?

Split T

Post by Split T »

I think we'd just salary dump Dudley or Chandler. Or send out Knight for a slightly smaller but nearly as bad contact. Someone mentioned Solomon Hill, that would free up another 3 or 4 million.

Indy

Post by Indy »

Good points. Tyson and Dudley would be easy to flip. BUt what does LAC want if they lose CP and Blake?

Split T

Post by Split T »

They'd be in trouble. What can you build around Beverly, Reddick, and DeAndre? Not much and Reddick could still leave. I'd imagine they'd blow the team up and try and get something for DeAndre. Let Austin Rivers put up 20 shots a game.

Aztec Sunsfan

Post by Aztec Sunsfan »

Indy wrote:Pretty sure the Suns have only 25M to spend, but think they had to renounce Len to get that much. S&T with Bled going back?
I would bet on Eric being on the meeting since they were teammates, and if that rumour about Griffin actually reaching to us because of Bledsoe is true, we better prepare to have our PG spot locked on him the next few years. Easier to give up Chriss or such (gulp), than the guy doing your recruiting. But it f we are leaving behind the slow rebuilding route, fingers crossed on both Miami picks and our own -top ten protected- doing the trick for a S&T including Knight and little else. Dumping Brandon on anybody, it's probably worth one pick by itself. Damn you Spoelstra, you make really hard to gauge the true value of those picks!!!

The Clippers actually may have a need for a scoring PG with both Paul and Griffin gone. Perhaps even for a tank commander.

Ring_Wanted

Post by Ring_Wanted »

Split T wrote:They'd be in trouble. What can you build around Beverly, Reddick, and DeAndre? Not much and Reddick could still leave. I'd imagine they'd blow the team up and try and get something for DeAndre. Let Austin Rivers put up 20 shots a game.
Reddick is said to be gone already. Rumored to be looking for $20M per.

JustWinBaby

Post by JustWinBaby »

Indy wrote:Good points. Tyson and Dudley would be easy to flip. BUt what does LAC want if they lose CP and Blake?
Who in the world would really want Chandler or Dudley? I do not think they would be that easy to flip.

You guys always seem to over rate your favorites. I keep hearing how easy it will be to move them. They are both overpaid for what they provide.

We have roughly 30 Million per year tied up in Tyson, Dudley and Knight. They rarely ever play and are not needed going forward with the possible exception of Chandler. They are the problem not the potential signing of Griffin to the max, if he is healthy.

Superbone

Post by Superbone »

Aztec Sunsfan wrote:Damn you Spoelstra, you make really hard to gauge the true value of those picks!!!
Can you imagine if you had Miami's pick last year. You'd be ecstatic early on in the season only to find out you got late lottery by the time the season was over with that ridiculous run they went on.
"Too little, too late, too unbothered."
- Phoenix Suns 2023-2024 season motto.

"Be Legendary."

carey

Post by carey »

JustWinBaby wrote: You guys always seem to over rate your favorites. I keep hearing how easy it will be to move them. They are both overpaid for what they provide.
Nope. A veteran with a good attitude that will never complain about playing time or his role on the team that still makes 40% of his 3s? That's worth $10M these days and Dudley only has 2 years left.

Chandler still had multiple 20 rebound games last year at age 34 and still averaged almost 12 boards per game while only averaging 27 minutes. He also has only 2 years left.

Both these deals are movable imo.
Go Suns!

Og Snus!