POLL: Grade the Suns' draft overall

Discussion of the league and of our favorite team.

Suns overall draft grade

A+
12%
A
21%
A-
21%
B+
21%
B
19%
B-
No votes
C+
No votes
C
2%
C-
2%
D+
No votes
D
No votes
D-
No votes
F
No votes

Total votes: 42

Mori Chu

POLL: Grade the Suns' draft overall

Post by Mori Chu »

SF Josh Jackson of Kansas at #4.
SG Davon Reed of Miami at #32.
PF Alec Peters of Valparaiso at #54.

How did McDo and the Suns do on Draft Day 2017? What overall grade would you give them, and why?

ShelC

Re: POLL: Grade the Suns' draft overall

Post by ShelC »

Mori Chu

Post by Mori Chu »

LOL, thanks INF.

ShelC

Post by ShelC »

I voted A- but felt more of a B+, so I think we're in that range. Jackson was the consensus pick for us, the "experts" love him as a player, he filled a need. I like Reed and what he can bring. Don't think we nabbed any stars or sleepers tho.

Indy

Post by Indy »

Solid B. Meaning I think this moves the needle some, in a positive direction.

Aztec Sunsfan

Post by Aztec Sunsfan »

B

I'm not so sure about JJ, specially not at 4th. But I do know that I'm tired of this overhyped prospects selled to us as the next big thing, just to watch them develop at glacial pace. But above all, my grade reflects penalization for the opportunity cost. If we ever were going to do that proverbial "Picks+assets for a Star" trade, it has to be this year with some combo out of Bledsoe, Chriss, our 4th and those Miami picks that still look tasty. We already saw teams (Knicks) trying to grab Booker and hopefully that will only get worse, while Bledsoe's value will dip, either by health or the end of his bargain contract.

We already saw the Wolves making a splash, and suddendly they look like an entirely different team, and without throwing away timelines or developing. I hope coming summertime, we keep pursuing a KP trade (Bledsoe+Chriss+both Mia picks for KP and the privilege of overpaying Noah?), or something along those lines. We need to consolidate talent, we already had "two teams" and it looks like we are looking to fill a third lineup, but none of them NBA-competitive. Respect the Vets that agreed to came here after last year mess and try to find a solution that leave both sides happy, they are not assets, but strong voices that can help us rehabilitate our reputation
Last edited by Aztec Sunsfan on Fri Jun 23, 2017 11:31 am, edited 4 times in total.

TOO

Post by TOO »

I like JJ, never thought he'd be an option before the season started, so thats awesome.

Reed and Peters do nothing for me.

B, just because Jackson offers so many things we lack.
Jones and Vogel out, Lue or Lee in, draft Grant Nelson or Tyler Kolek.

Split T

Post by Split T »

B+ Almost went A- but felt like we needed to do something extra special to deserve that. I've been a Jackson fan since his high school days and think he was the perfect fit. Reed and Peters look like solid picks but probably top out as good bench role players.

The Bobster

Post by The Bobster »

Here's Chad Ford's grade -

Phoenix Suns: A

Round 1: Josh Jackson (4)

Round 2: Davon Reed (32), Alec Peters (54)

The Suns had some major internal debates over Jackson, De'Aaron Fox and Jonathan Isaac. Each of the three would've fit in his own way, but I like Jackson's fit the best. As an athletic wing with a defensive edge, Jackson brings a toughness that this young Suns squad desperately needs.

Reed also can supply a defensive edge and length as a potential backup to Jackson. And Peters is a steal. Had he not gotten injured, I think he would've gone in the first round. Big guys who can shoot with his accuracy will always find a place in the league.

I love how the Suns are beginning to round into form. As this young core develops, they should be able to make some noise in the playoffs in a few years.
Author of The Basketball Draft Fact Book: A History of Professional Basketball's College Drafts
Available from Scarecrow Press at - https://rowman.com/ISBN/9780810890695

O_Gardino

Post by O_Gardino »

B We paid attention and didn't mess it up, but we didn't do anything special either. Almost any other team would have gotten Jackson or Fox with the 4. You don't get an A for taking the consensus pick at that spot.
The league needs heroes, villains... and clowns. -- Aztec Sunsfan

O_Gardino

Post by O_Gardino »

Poll: How would you grade your fellow poster's grades?
lol

Split T

Post by Split T »

O_Gardino wrote:B We paid attention and didn't mess it up, but we didn't do anything special either. Almost any other team would have gotten Jackson or Fox with the 4. You don't get an A for taking the consensus pick at that spot.

Seems to be a McD kinda thing. Doesn't over think things and just takes the best player/fit. Booker was that guy too. Would be great if Jackson exceeds expectations as much as Booker has.

Hermen

Post by Hermen »

I voted C and I'm the lowest lol :D Not that I don't believe in the young guys, I just gave an average grade because we didn't do anything fancy (for better or worse). Not that there is anything wrong with that. Obviously, if Reed or Peters turn out to be superstars the grade changes, but right now I don't feel strongly about it either way.

For example, even if Simmons turns out to be a superstar I wouldn't give the Sixers A+ for the draft last year. They did their A+ "work" during the season and in the lottery (lol), taking him first was pretty much a no brainer. Maybe my grading system is weird.

jonh

Post by jonh »

A. We needed defense and rebounding (and I also think that we have maxed out our ability to develop any more projects right now). I wanted someone that can come in, be vocal and produce day 1 with a pretty high ceiling. Jackson checks off all of those boxes.

I don't see 2nd round picks as ones that frequently move the needle, so I am ambivalent about who we drafted there. Its nice when BPA matches need, and (as long as Jackson doesn't turn out to be an ass, that is what he does).

I feel like this is the year when the Suns begin to turn the corner.

O_Gardino

Post by O_Gardino »

Split T wrote:
O_Gardino wrote:B We paid attention and didn't mess it up, but we didn't do anything special either. Almost any other team would have gotten Jackson or Fox with the 4. You don't get an A for taking the consensus pick at that spot.

Seems to be a McD kinda thing. Doesn't over think things and just takes the best player/fit. Booker was that guy too. Would be great if Jackson exceeds expectations as much as Booker has.
Bender, too, and I loved both of those picks. Maybe if his name was Backson?

1tinsoldier

Post by 1tinsoldier »

i know nothing about their 2nd round picks
but if you can't give them an A+ for Jackson...
* addressing their most important deficiency -- defense,
* adding an excellent scorer
* adding a hard working player with passion
* filling a position they need
* a pick widely considered among the best 3 options in one of the best drafts in years
* a pick who allows you to keep, at point guard, probably your best player
* a pick who can help compensate for your most promising player's defensive flaws (Booker)

then when would you ever give their draft pick an A+?
what pick, by any team, would you give an A+ to on the day of any recent draft?

note: it's perfectly valid to deduct for the incident he had, but i'd need to know more before assessing his character
Last edited by 1tinsoldier on Fri Jun 23, 2017 12:32 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Cap

Post by Cap »

O_Gardino wrote:
Split T wrote:

Bledsoe-Barbosa-Booker-Bender-BigSauce could be a good "Killer Bs" lineup.

Poor Brandon can't even make the B team.

O_Gardino

Post by O_Gardino »

Cap wrote:
O_Gardino wrote:
Split T wrote:

Bledsoe-Barbosa-Booker-Bender-BigSauce could be a good "Killer Bs" lineup.

Poor Brandon can't even make the B team.
12/10 but I just ate an expired cake and I'm feeling very good about a lot of things.

O_Gardino

Post by O_Gardino »

1tinsoldier wrote:i know nothing about their 2nd round picks
but if you can't give them an A+ for Jackson...
* addressing their most important deficiency -- defense,
* adding an excellent scorer
* adding a hard working player with passion
* filling a position they need
* a pick widely considered among the best 3 options in one of the best drafts in years
* a pick who allows you to keep, at point guard, probably your best player
* a pick who can help compensate for your most promising player's defensive flaws (Booker)

then when would you ever give their draft pick an A+?
what pick, by any team, would you give an A+ to on the day of any recent draft?

note: it's perfectly valid to deduct for the incident he had, but i'd need to know more before assessing his character
Rhetorical, or a real question?

I don't think Jackson will be an excellent scorer, and I'm sad that we are keeping Bled for another year. I do like Jackson, but if the GM can't do better than an average fan, that's not an A. A's are for rare exceptional work in my grading system.

But I like the player, and I can't wait to see him defending and passing and running and dunking.

JCSunsfan

Post by JCSunsfan »

Sure you do. Most draft failures come from trying to get cute. What I love about McD is he is just straightforward in drafting. He isn't trying to look brilliant. He just wants to make the best move.