POLL: Grade the Suns' draft overall

Discussion of the league and of our favorite team.

Suns overall draft grade

A+
12%
A
21%
A-
21%
B+
21%
B
19%
B-
No votes
C+
No votes
C
2%
C-
2%
D+
No votes
D
No votes
D-
No votes
F
No votes

Total votes: 42

AmareIsGod

Re: POLL: Grade the Suns' draft overall

Post by AmareIsGod »

Indy wrote:
AmareIsGod wrote:JJ will be better than KP when all is said and done. Mark it.
Can we put money on this? And considering how adamant you are, i think I should get good odds here.
3 seasons from the next. We'll evaluate their respective success. Loser buys the winner a jersey and bottle of their choice. Deal?
What is smallball? I play basketball. I'm not a regular big man. I can switch from the center to the guards. The game is evolving. I'd be dominAyton if the WNBA would let me in. - Ayton

Indy

Post by Indy »

AmareIsGod wrote:
Indy wrote:
Can we put money on this? And considering how adamant you are, i think I should get good odds here.
3 seasons from the next. We'll evaluate their respective success. Loser buys the winner a jersey and bottle of their choice. Deal?
Deal, how are we going to measure this?

AmareIsGod

Post by AmareIsGod »

Indy wrote:
AmareIsGod wrote:
Indy wrote:
Deal, how are we going to measure this?
End of 2019 - 20' season. We can look at and I think easily tell who the winner is. But we can leave it up to a poll at that point. I think looking at individual and team success should suffice. Who's team is finishing better. Who has better all around stats and is widely recognized as a better player.
What is smallball? I play basketball. I'm not a regular big man. I can switch from the center to the guards. The game is evolving. I'd be dominAyton if the WNBA would let me in. - Ayton

Indy

Post by Indy »

I dont think team success is the measure of a better player, but I am fine leaving it up to a poll for individual if it is close

AmareIsGod

Post by AmareIsGod »

Indy wrote:I dont think team success is the measure of a better player, but I am fine leaving it up to a poll for individual if it is close
Sounds good. And team success isn't nearly a high level factor in better player but it can definitely be taken into consideration if it's a close call. A poll is fine.
Last edited by AmareIsGod on Fri Jun 23, 2017 6:38 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Indy

Post by Indy »

AmareIsGod wrote:
Indy wrote:I dont think team success is the measure of a better player, but I am fine leaving it up to a poll for individual if it is close
Sounds good. And team success isn't nearly a high level factor in better player but it can definitely be taken into consideration if it's a close call. A poll is fine
I really hope I lose this bet.

Cap

Post by Cap »

TheOriginalOriginal wrote:And consider it marked. :D
You stole my shtick!

AmareIsGod

Post by AmareIsGod »

Indy wrote:
AmareIsGod wrote:
Sounds good. And team success isn't nearly a high level factor in better player but it can definitely be taken into consideration if it's a close call. A poll is fine
Go Suns! We all win.

Indy

Post by Indy »

AmareIsGod wrote:
Indy wrote:
AmareIsGod wrote:
Go Suns! We all win.
So just to be clear, you wouldn't trade JJ for KP straight up?

AmareIsGod

Post by AmareIsGod »

Indy wrote:
AmareIsGod wrote:
Indy wrote:
AmareIsGod wrote:
Go Suns! We all win.
So just to be clear, you wouldn't trade JJ for KP straight up?
KP is up against his relatively high ceiling. JJ is an unknown commodity with a larger ceiling and genetic superiority (KP will suffer from injuries due to supporting a larger frame with poor core strength). Because JJ actually seems to have a fairly high intellectual IQ, this obviously translates to high court IQ. He seems to be aware of his deficiencies, plays with a constant chip and is blessed with incredible athletic ability. I may be overhyping him to some on here but he has everything that translates to immediate high level contribution with upside to dominate.

You can work with a guy on his FT mechanics. You can't teach a guy to avoid his genetic predisposition due to being highly athletic at such a large size. The game takes a toll on you. Now have that toll run up and down the court for 82 games with 7ft+ shoulders.

To sum up a long string of thought, I wouldn't trade JJ for KP straight up. Logic tells me KP will suffer ongoing injuries, minor or otherwise. We have trends of guys his size succumbing to foot and leg injuries regularly.

Indy

Post by Indy »

Just remember your roots. SpiveyIsGod

You might have a history of over valuing guys with an extremely limited sample size. ;)

Cap

Post by Cap »

AmareIsGod wrote:Because JJ actually seems to have a fairly high intellectual IQ, this obviously translates to high court IQ.
One has nothing to do with the other. Brandon Knight has a fairly high intellectual IQ and it doesn't translate to the court at all.

TOO

Post by TOO »

Cap wrote:
You stole my shtick!
I had no idea. Feel free to take over :D
👀 Fire Frank Vogel.

carey

Post by carey »

Right. BK was almost Valedictorian or something.
Go Suns!

Og Snus!

Ring_Wanted

Post by Ring_Wanted »

carey wrote:Right. BK was almost Valedictorian or something.
Damn

Atreides

Post by Atreides »

I was torn between A- and B+, but the more i'm thinking the latter is the better choice. JJ for me was 3rd in this draft, so I'm glad that he slipped to us. As for Reed I like few guys in the 2nd round more, especially picks taken from 36 to 39 but if FO thinks Reed is the best fit I'm ok with it.
"The falling leaf does hate the wind"

Cap

Post by Cap »

TheOriginalOriginal wrote:
Cap wrote:
You stole my shtick!
On second thought, you keep this one. Last year's predictions had reasonable expiration dates. This one will be judged when "all is said and done," and I don't want to commit my signature to it for that long.

O_Gardino

Post by O_Gardino »

Cap wrote:
TheOriginalOriginal wrote:
Cap wrote:
You stole my shtick!
On second thought, you keep this one. Last year's predictions had reasonable expiration dates. This one will be judged when "all is said and done," and I don't want to commit my signature to it for that long.
I thought they said summer 2020.
The league needs heroes, villains... and clowns. -- Aztec Sunsfan

wpmiller42

Post by wpmiller42 »

I gave us an A-, only because I think we might have played it a little too safe with our 2nd rounders. Would have liked to have swung for the fences a bit, but that's probably why I'm not being paid to be a GM! Overall, an awesome draft, lots to be excited about.

JustWinBaby

Post by JustWinBaby »

I have no idea how anyone can complain about this draft.

Our biggest need by far was better defense, especially on the perimeter. The 2nd biggest need was better shooting.

We drafted the highest rated defender in Jackson and another long capable defender in Reed who can also shoot extremely well from the 3. We also picked up another potential sleeper at 54 who shoots light out, who is tough and gets on the boards. Non of these guys seem selfish and should fit into the team concept very well. I really like the potential that Jackson brings to be another playmaker on the court. Yes, I can see Jackson becoming an even better version of Draymond Green.

A+ - based on the choice of players we made with each pick. Could not be more pleased.

I am more than happy that we did not trade away the farm for KP.

From the naysayers I would like to know whom they would have picked at 4,32 and 54 that Ryan did not pick.
I wanted Monty as our coach since D'Antoni left town. Nice choice James Jones.