Phoenix Suns game experience

Discussion of the league and of our favorite team.
pagielak

Phoenix Suns game experience

Post by pagielak »

Hello there, I've been thinking about making this thread for some time but I wanted to wait till after the draft so it wasn't a distraction. If moderators think it's better siuted for General discussion, then please move it.

Anyway I decided that this is the year when I finally want to see our Suns play in person, better yet in Phoenix. I was aming for some games in November or December, so I could catch at least few, when we will have a homestand. Obviously the schedule for next season isn't out yet so I have to wait but I suppose I want to make some plans as early as possible.

Because of that I have some question, mainly for Phoenix residents or people living nearby how to plan the trip, where to stay, how to move around and the like. I will post some questions in points and if you have some free time to answer them, than it would be great.

1. How often do planes travel from LAX to Phoenix? Is it better to buy a ticket to LAX and then wait at the airport for a flight or buy a ticket to some other place, where they have better flight plans?
I will be travelling from Poland so I will probably buy a ticket to LA (they are cheaper sometimes), but I don't know if I should buy one to Phoenix before going to LA or is it easy to buy one when you are at the airport. If anyone has some clues let me know.

2. Where to buy a ticket to a game? I have some apps like StubHub or SeatGeek but I wonder what's the best way to buy tickets. Should I buy one earlier or is it possible to buy one on the day of the game?

3. Places to stay in Phoenix, for example cheap hotels or places close to Talking Stick Resort Arena (should have just typed America West Arena, that's how I call it anyway)? Does any one of you stayed in some hotels they can recommend or just browse through booking site or trivago to find best deals?

4. How to move around in Phoenix and what to see, other than the Suns? Do I rent a car or use the bus or some other methods of transportation? Is it easy to get around or should I prepare myself for a lot of walking?

5. Good places to eat when you're a Suns fan? I read about the pizza place in SSOL book, I would like to go there but do you have any other places you can recommend?

Ok so I guess that's most of the questions I wanted to ask, if I think of some more I will post them in this thread. We still have some time untill the FA and Summer League come around so if you are bored help a fellow Suns fan out :D

Indy

Re: Phoenix Suns game experience

Post by Indy »

1) About 15 times a day. And I would buy ahead of time. You can usually change a flight on the day of without incurring a cost if you do it at the airport.

2) I would plan ahead and buy them from the Phoenix Suns Ticket Exchange. I think it is hosted by Ticketmaster, but unless they are playing the Lakers, Warriors, Celtics or Cavs, you can probably get them for half price.

3) I will let someone else respond here.

4) You need to rent a car. Not a lot of public transit, and not a lot in walking distance until you are right down town, and then it is still very limited.

5) I am not sure if Pizzeria Bianco still has their same chef, but I am sure it is still great. I would likely eat Mexican food for breakfast, lunch, and dinner if I were back in Phoenix, but I am not sure if that interests you.

bajanguy008

Post by bajanguy008 »

I hope that sooner rather than later this thread becomes relevant to me. Sometimes I doubt I will ever see a Live game smh :cry:
SUNS Fan from the Land of Sun, Sea and Sand ;)

Danimal

Post by Danimal »

Was actually thinking about this next season also

In2ition

Post by In2ition »

To piggy back on what Indy said,
3. Depending on where in metro Phoenix you want to stay and what kind of accommodations you are looking for, Phoenix metro has so many places and price points for you. I work for a hotel franchiser and can help you with inexpensive rates if you like. The list of hotels range from economy to low end upper class. Mostly mid scale hotels. This offer goes for everyone, if you need a hotel pretty much around the world and are looking for a discount, let me know. I can send you a Friends and Family Rate link to your email that connects you to the website and then you can look for availability and preference. It doesn't help me or give me any perks, but it also doesn't hurt me in any way to pass them out to friends. Just let me know.
"When we all think alike, nobody is thinking" - Walter Lippmann
"Find out just what any people will quietly submit to and you have the exact measure of the injustice and wrong which will be imposed on them." ~ Frederick Douglass

Superbone

Post by Superbone »

For places to eat, I would think you'd want to go to Majerle's Sports Grill for a Suns eating experience:

http://majerles.com/downtown-phoenix/
"Be Legendary."

Superbone

Post by Superbone »

Here's my favorite Mexican food in Phoenix:

http://www.comedorguadalajara.com/
"Be Legendary."

Shabazz

Post by Shabazz »

If you're traveling from abroad specifically to see a Suns game, I would recommend reaching out to the Suns ticket office and seeing if they can throw any goodies your way in terms of the experience or swag. I feel like they love stories like that. When I organized a business trip for my company and some clients, I did it through them and they were very helpful.

Indy

Post by Indy »

Great idea, bazz. I can see them even featuring it on the pre-game. Poland isn't a short jaunt.

pagielak

Post by pagielak »

Wow thanks for the quick responses. Starting from the top:

Indy - Mexican food sounds great, I like to try new dishes plus I like spicy ones. I thought about the car but it depends really on what will I do between games. I thought about doing some sightseeing but in order to do that I would probably have to go outside Phoenix (Great Canyon comes to mind). I will buy plane tickets in advance, I don't want to stay in LA for example :-)

Bajanguy008, Danimal - I bet your time will come, I 've been thinking about doing this for quite some time, picking the time, collecting funds. I finally got my Visa this year (we still have to apply for them and we can be rejected in some cases). The Suns need some home fans in the stands even if they are from other countries ;-)

Superbone - that's a great idea, totally forgot about Thunder Dan's restaurant! I will definitely visit this one, along with the one you mentioned serving mexican food.

In2ition - if it is possible then it would be great! I would probably look for something in the economy class as I would like to stay 7-10 days in Phoenix. I will probably be travelling alone so it would be for just one person. If you could send me any information about this stuff I would be very grateful.

Shabazz- that is a very good idea, I will have to find my picture from 95 when I was 10 and wearing my full Barkley purple away kit, maybe that will convince them :-) it's almost a shame Gortat doesn't play in Phoenix anymore, maybe it would be easier then.

Thanks to all for responding, when I will be in Phoenix and you guys want to meet and talk drinks are on me!

Indy

Post by Indy »

pagielak wrote:Wow thanks for the quick responses. Starting from the top:

Indy - Mexican food sounds great, I like to try new dishes plus I like spicy ones. I thought about the car but it depends really on what will I do between games. I thought about doing some sightseeing but in order to do that I would probably have to go outside Phoenix (Great Canyon comes to mind). I will buy plane tickets in advance, I don't want to stay in LA for example :-)

Bajanguy008, Danimal - I bet your time will come, I 've been thinking about doing this for quite some time, picking the time, collecting funds. I finally got my Visa this year (we still have to apply for them and we can be rejected in some cases). The Suns need some home fans in the stands even if they are from other countries ;-)

Superbone - that's a great idea, totally forgot about Thunder Dan's restaurant! I will definitely visit this one, along with the one you mentioned serving mexican food.

In2ition - if it is possible then it would be great! I would probably look for something in the economy class as I would like to stay 7-10 days in Phoenix. I will probably be travelling alone so it would be for just one person. If you could send me any information about this stuff I would be very grateful.

Shabazz- that is a very good idea, I will have to find my picture from 95 when I was 10 and wearing my full Barkley purple away kit, maybe that will convince them :-) it's almost a shame Gortat doesn't play in Phoenix anymore, maybe it would be easier then.

Thanks to all for responding, when I will be in Phoenix and you guys want to meet and talk drinks are on me!
Let us know when you have an idea on dates. I will likely come back to AZ for a game or two at some point next season.

pagielak

Post by pagielak »

Indy wrote:

Let us know when you have an idea on dates. I will likely come back to AZ for a game or two at some point next season.

Sure thing, I'm just waiting for the schedule to drop, which will happen probably in August. It's a shame I have to wait that long as I would love to buy tickets now and make more arrangements but I'm afraid that with my luck and without knowing the schedule the Suns would probably go on a 10 day Road trip when I get there.

bajanguy008

Post by bajanguy008 »

yeah bro you just explained my situation perfectly here for me being in the Caribbean. I have to renew my Visa and try to make a plan for the necessary travel funds
SUNS Fan from the Land of Sun, Sea and Sand ;)

pagielak

Post by pagielak »

bajanguy008 wrote:

yeah bro you just explained my situation perfectly here for me being in the Caribbean. I have to renew my Visa and try to make a plan for the necessary travel funds
There's still time to do it before the season starts ;)

In2ition

Post by In2ition »

Sure, just send me a private message with your full name and email address to send them to you. We don't keep and store that info, so don't worry about getting spammed.
"When we all think alike, nobody is thinking" - Walter Lippmann
"Find out just what any people will quietly submit to and you have the exact measure of the injustice and wrong which will be imposed on them." ~ Frederick Douglass

Superbone

Post by Superbone »

Indy wrote:
pagielak wrote:Wow thanks for the quick responses.

Yes, let us know. If I can schedule it, I'll make the drive from California to meet you for a game or two.
"Be Legendary."

Furlanfufi

Post by Furlanfufi »

Great thread. Now I want to make this trip myself!

pagielak

Post by pagielak »

Hey guys, just a quick question. I contacted the Phoenix Suns ticket office and they said I could pay a deposit of $200 to guarantee tickets. What is the average price of a ticket in a semi-good seat and do you think I should pay the deposit or just wait for other opportunities?

Indy

Post by Indy »

pagielak wrote:Hey guys, just a quick question. I contacted the Phoenix Suns ticket office and they said I could pay a deposit of $200 to guarantee tickets. What is the average price of a ticket in a semi-good seat and do you think I should pay the deposit or just wait for other opportunities?
I came back to AZ for the Al McCoy ROH night last season. I sat center court, I think in row 7. I paid ~320/seat.

I think it would make sense to wait until tickets go on sale and try the box office or the Ticket Exchange. No need to pay $200 now.

pagielak

Post by pagielak »

Indy wrote:
pagielak wrote:Hey guys, just a quick question. I contacted the Phoenix Suns ticket office and they said I could pay a deposit of $200 to guarantee tickets. What is the average price of a ticket in a semi-good seat and do you think I should pay the deposit or just wait for other opportunities?
I came back to AZ for the Al McCoy ROH night last season. I sat center court, I think in row 7. I paid ~320/seat.

I think it would make sense to wait until tickets go on sale and try the box office or the Ticket Exchange. No need to pay $200 now.
Yeah, that's what I'm thinking. It probably is better to wait than to lock myself into something like that right now. For better or worse there probably are going to be tickets for sale for Suns games, I'm not expecting sold-out crowds unless it's the Warriors, Cavaliers and such.