Suns Summer League

Discussion of the league and of our favorite team.
O_Gardino

Re: Suns Summer League

Post by O_Gardino »

Danimal wrote:
ShelC wrote:We'll see if Watson is the real deal with how he handles Chriss. You can't talk about character, effort, accountability and all that other stuff and then let the 20 year pet project act like a s***. I really wish the SL coaching staff would've pulled him from the game and laid into him a few times early on just to set the tone.
they benched him once after a technical but it seemed to be the non SL players laying into him, not the coaching staff. Perhaps that's the issue with not having the head coach run the SL team. They don't want to clash with some players for example?
Somebody posted an interview with the SL coach, and I was not impressed. Lots of beating around the bush and "maybeish" kind of talk. Seems like the kind of "encouraging" coach who doesn't like calling people out.
The league needs heroes, villains... and clowns. -- Aztec Sunsfan

djy2j

Post by djy2j »

My boy Caleb Swanigan had 25pt 12 reb 7 ast and 3 steals in a championship game loss to the Lakers. Had a hell of a consistent SL. I watched several of his games. Dude just understands the game at any level. I'll never understand why scouts see guy a guy like him kill it in college (in a top league), have an outstanding work ethic and motor but then they crucify the dude because he doesn't jump as high as some and his draft stock plummets. It's such an oversight IMO.
The artist formerly known as Y2JJEDIPIMP on .net

"Just like Neal Armstrong I went to space and now I'm back..."

djy2j

Post by djy2j »

An ESPN SL summary note

4. Who was the biggest disappointment at summer league?

MacMahon: The Phoenix Suns' sophomore lottery picks. Dragan Bender and Marquese Chriss both shot worse than 40 percent from the floor and didn't exactly dominate the glass (each averaged 6.0 rebounds per game) as Phoenix went 2-4. That isn't exactly reason to believe that the Suns' rebuilding project can be fast-tracked.
The artist formerly known as Y2JJEDIPIMP on .net

"Just like Neal Armstrong I went to space and now I'm back..."

ShelC

Post by ShelC »

I'm ok with Bender's percentages because he played well later on in the tourney and his shots still all look good. He was taking smart, sound shots unlike Chriss who has no sense or awareness in the lane and was just throwing the ball up wildy.

carey

Post by carey »

djy2j wrote:4. Who was the biggest disappointment at summer league?

MacMahon: The Phoenix Suns' sophomore lottery picks. Dragan Bender and Marquese Chriss both shot worse than 40 percent from the floor and didn't exactly dominate the glass (each averaged 6.0 rebounds per game) as Phoenix went 2-4. That isn't exactly reason to believe that the Suns' rebuilding project can be fast-tracked.
Pretty much. It was a disappointing Summer. While I do think having Ulis would have made a big difference the team should have been much better than 2-4. We played our roster guys big minutes too. Sad showing for a team that was talking about winning the whole tournament before they left.
Go Suns!

Og Snus!

The Bobster

Post by The Bobster »

Point guard play made a big difference for this year's summer league team. I wish they had given David Stockton a little time to see if he could get the offense running a little better than James did.
Author of The Basketball Draft Fact Book: A History of Professional Basketball's College Drafts
Available from Scarecrow Press at - https://rowman.com/ISBN/9780810890695

In2ition

Post by In2ition »

carey wrote:

Pretty much. It was a disappointing Summer. While I do think having Ulis would have made a big difference the team should have been much better than 2-4. We played our roster guys big minutes too. Sad showing for a team that was talking about winning the whole tournament before they left.
Next year the Suns win the LVSL!
"When we all think alike, nobody is thinking" - Walter Lippmann
"Find out just what any people will quietly submit to and you have the exact measure of the injustice and wrong which will be imposed on them." ~ Frederick Douglass

jonh

Post by jonh »

carey wrote:

I think we would have had a better summer league if Chriss hadn't shown up with Markieff's attitude and Boris Diaw's body.

carey

Post by carey »

The Bobster wrote:Point guard play made a big difference for this year's summer league team. I wish they had given David Stockton a little time to see if he could get the offense running a little better than James did.
I don't know what happened but they replaced him with Joe Jackson from the NAZ after the 1st game.
Go Suns!

Og Snus!

carey

Post by carey »

jonh wrote: I think we would have had a better summer league if Chriss hadn't shown up with Markieff's attitude and Boris Diaw's body.
Holy crap is this getting overblown.
Go Suns!

Og Snus!

Split T

Post by Split T »

Danimal wrote:
JJ: Thought his handles were better than i expected. Shooting form was ugly but i think he will probably take less pull up shots once put with our main guards.
I know tatum is doing great, but i still feel Jackson is a good pairing with booker due to the all-round game he has. Its true he does have a great motor and an aggressive yet quiet demeanour. I hope that rubs off on some of the others. Too often folks with the suns talk about 'chip on their shoulder'/playing with an edge, which basically equates to talking trash and getting T's - not contributing positively to the game. Jackson just seemed to go about his business and send a message at the right time like the stare down after the block at Utah. Will be interested to see if he gets in folks heads. It sounds weird to say this about rookie, but Jackson please take Chriss under your wing not the other way around
For all the love Tatum got in summer league, Jackson averaged essentially the same points, shot the same percentage from the field and averaged more rebounds, assists, steals, and blocks.

ShelC

Post by ShelC »

Yea but Tatum has go-to ability. He really stands out.

Split T

Post by Split T »

True, I'm just saying let's wait and see if he's gonna prove to be an efficient go to scorer.

Superbone

Post by Superbone »

ShelC wrote:We'll see if Watson is the real deal with how he handles Chriss. You can't talk about character, effort, accountability and all that other stuff and then let the 20 year pet project act like a s***. I really wish the SL coaching staff would've pulled him from the game and laid into him a few times early on just to set the tone.
The encouraging thing is he didn't act like that under Watson during the regular season. I agree that the summer league staff let him get away with too much. He should have been pulled as soon as he took a play off or quit on a play because he thought he was fouled.
"Be Legendary."

JCSunsfan

Post by JCSunsfan »

Split T wrote:
Danimal wrote:
JJ: Thought his handles were better than i expected. Shooting form was ugly but i think he will probably take less pull up shots once put with our main guards.
I know tatum is doing great, but i still feel Jackson is a good pairing with booker due to the all-round game he has. Its true he does have a great motor and an aggressive yet quiet demeanour. I hope that rubs off on some of the others. Too often folks with the suns talk about 'chip on their shoulder'/playing with an edge, which basically equates to talking trash and getting T's - not contributing positively to the game. Jackson just seemed to go about his business and send a message at the right time like the stare down after the block at Utah. Will be interested to see if he gets in folks heads. It sounds weird to say this about rookie, but Jackson please take Chriss under your wing not the other way around
For all the love Tatum got in summer league, Jackson averaged essentially the same points, shot the same percentage from the field and averaged more rebounds, assists, steals, and blocks.
And played much better defense over all.

Superbone

Post by Superbone »

Danimal wrote:It sounds weird to say this about rookie, but Jackson please take Chriss under your wing not the other way around
They're the same age so it's not that weird. Jackson is definitely more mature.
"Be Legendary."

jonh

Post by jonh »

carey wrote:
jonh wrote: I think we would have had a better summer league if Chriss hadn't shown up with M******f's attitude and Boris Diaw's body.
I meant this more as a joke than an actual criticism. Its July 18th, and we've got a few more months until real basketball starts, so I am not taking anything too seriously right now.

Superbone

Post by Superbone »

O_Gardino wrote:
Danimal wrote:
they benched him once after a technical but it seemed to be the non SL players laying into him, not the coaching staff. Perhaps that's the issue with not having the head coach run the SL team. They don't want to clash with some players for example?
Somebody posted an interview with the SL coach, and I was not impressed. Lots of beating around the bush and "maybeish" kind of talk. Seems like the kind of "encouraging" coach who doesn't like calling people out.
I got the same impression.
"Be Legendary."

Ring_Wanted

Post by Ring_Wanted »

carey wrote:
jonh wrote: I think we would have had a better summer league if Chriss hadn't shown up with M******f's attitude and Boris Diaw's body.
Man, Chriss came with a noticeable booty. It is super easy for those pear shaped guys to look terrible if they don't watch what they eat, even if they are under a lifting program.

Superbone

Post by Superbone »

https://twitter.com/Suns/status/886122455844007937

"Be Legendary."