Suns Summer League

Discussion of the league and of our favorite team.
Indy

Re: Suns Summer League

Post by Indy »

Thank you. I was just coming here to ask this

O_Gardino

Post by O_Gardino »

Superbone wrote:
O_Gardino wrote:Marrkannen is rebounding pretty well, but not shooting great.
And getting his name misspelled on both his jersey and message boards.
I didn't see that. Was there a story where someone misspelled Morcannon's name?
The league needs heroes, villains... and clowns. -- Aztec Sunsfan

Shabazz

Post by Shabazz »

Inf's guy Diallo has looked very good.

Superbone

Post by Superbone »

https://twitter.com/DraftExpress/status/885534166908981248

"Be Legendary."

ShelC

Post by ShelC »

I could probably come up with a video 3x as long of all of his miscues.

INFORMER

Post by INFORMER »

Shabazz wrote:Inf's guy Diallo has looked very good.
Very bittersweet.
Trendon Watford. Please and thank you.

Shabazz

Post by Shabazz »

INFORMER wrote:
Shabazz wrote:Inf's guy Diallo has looked very good.
Very bittersweet.
Your guy Zach Collins has not.

INFORMER

Post by INFORMER »

I hadn't noticed, but it isn't surprising. He is a few years away probably, if he is ever going to be any good.

INFORMER

Post by INFORMER »

I see some Amare Stoudemire in Bam Adebayo.

AmareIsGod

Post by AmareIsGod »

INFORMER wrote:I see some Amare Stoudemire in Bam Adebayo.
I can see that. But with more Dwight Howard on the glass. Appears to be a good FT shooter too.

[youtube][/youtube]
What is smallball? I play basketball. I'm not a regular big man. I can switch from the center to the guards. The game is evolving. I'd be dominAyton if the WNBA would let me in. - Ayton

O_Gardino

Post by O_Gardino »

Jones Jr has quietly had a nice summer league. I'm still not sure he will stick in the league, but he has improved his jumper and defensive awareness, and has done a good job playing within his role. He has hit 33% of his 3pt shots (2-6), rebounded ok, gotten a few blocks and steals. I hope there are some minutes for him.

ShelC

Post by ShelC »

IIRC, Bam had medical red flags for his knees. Pretty sure it was him but he's been impressive either way. He might have reminded the Heat of Zo a bit as well.

specialsauce

Post by specialsauce »

He's like a young Alton Ford

Superbone

Post by Superbone »

Congrats to Josh Jackson for making it on the 2017 NBA Summer League First Team!
"Be Legendary."

Danimal

Post by Danimal »

ShelC wrote:I could probably come up with a video 3x as long of all of his miscues.
that's the thing with Chriss, he currently seems to think one highlight play can me up for 3 miscues (self inflicted), so he seems to take plays off a lot, then get a dunk or block and then repeat. I think having him around JJ, booker, ulis and Big Sauce will make a difference this year. Its criminal the way the coaching staff allow him to pout, sulk and take plays off. I think those players will get on him if his attitude and effort continues to suck like it did in SL

ShelC

Post by ShelC »

We'll see if Watson is the real deal with how he handles Chriss. You can't talk about character, effort, accountability and all that other stuff and then let the 20 year pet project act like a shithead. I really wish the SL coaching staff would've pulled him from the game and laid into him a few times early on just to set the tone.

Danimal

Post by Danimal »

General thoughts on SL:

Chriss: see above. Slightly worried he ankle sprain will slow down his ability to shed some of that extra weight.
DJJ: set shot form looked better. got some highlight dunks and blocks. Wasn't spectacular but didn't try to too much

James: i guess is ok as a change of pace 3rd string scoring pg if we need a microwave. Seem to frustrate his teammates at times by holding the ball a bit. I think we have enough of those guys

Bender: Had some baby giraffe moments but i really liked what i saw. Its frustrating when his shot doesn't fall as the form looks good. When he shoots it flat its always long. Looked much better at times taking it to the rim. Looked a bit better and getting some contested rebounds. Im very excited to watch him this year, just hope he can raise the 3p% up.

D Reed: really liked what i saw. its nice to see a bench sg who actually shoots the 3 and not dick around on the perimeter going iso and shoot contested twos. handles looked decent and seemed decent at finishing. Played within himself and except for the final qtr of the last game, didn't try to do too much.

Christian wood: Did he leave the team after the first few games or get injured? I liked what i saw initially but then didn't see him again. Wouldn't mind the suns taking him to training camp

JJ: Thought his handles were better than i expected. Shooting form was ugly but i think he will probably take less pull up shots once put with our main guards.
I know tatum is doing great, but i still feel Jackson is a good pairing with booker due to the all-round game he has. Its true he does have a great motor and an aggressive yet quiet demeanour. I hope that rubs off on some of the others. Too often folks with the suns talk about 'chip on their shoulder'/playing with an edge, which basically equates to talking trash and getting T's - not contributing positively to the game. Jackson just seemed to go about his business and send a message at the right time like the stare down after the block at Utah. Will be interested to see if he gets in folks heads. It sounds weird to say this about rookie, but Jackson please take Chriss under your wing not the other way around

Danimal

Post by Danimal »

ShelC wrote:We'll see if Watson is the real deal with how he handles Chriss. You can't talk about character, effort, accountability and all that other stuff and then let the 20 year pet project act like a s***. I really wish the SL coaching staff would've pulled him from the game and laid into him a few times early on just to set the tone.
they benched him once after a technical but it seemed to be the non SL players laying into him, not the coaching staff. Perhaps that's the issue with not having the head coach run the SL team. They don't want to clash with some players for example?

Danimal

Post by Danimal »

also didn't understand the whole lets not play Jackson and bender in the final game. Why? because it doesn't mean anything? The whole SL doesn't really mean anything, its just a chance to develop your players. Bender missed a shit tone of time last year and when healthy barley played, plus was looking much better out there. Why not give him the minutes? Its not like there is going to be another competitive game for a while anyway

O_Gardino

Post by O_Gardino »

Danimal wrote:also didn't understand the whole lets not play Jackson and bender in the final game. Why? because it doesn't mean anything? The whole SL doesn't really mean anything, its just a chance to develop your players. Bender missed a s*** tone of time last year and when healthy barley played, plus was looking much better out there. Why not give him the minutes? Its not like there is going to be another competitive game for a while anyway
It gives the non-nba guys a chance to show what they've got. Maybe another team picks them up.