SL Game Day: Suns (0-0) @ Kings (0-0), Fri 7/7/17

Discussion of the league and of our favorite team.
EDC

Re: SL Game Day: Suns (0-0) @ Kings (0-0), Fri 7/7/17

Post by EDC »

We run an offensive set then end with 4 guys around the arc one of them with the ball trying to run an iso. No real movement after the initial "play". Then a lot of times they just watch the shot go up and go back on defense.

We always end up with iso's. Summer league or regular season it doesn't matter. Wish we ran something better.

Cap

Post by Cap »

Bender with good D on Fox, then a 3.

Split T

Post by Split T »

Marty [Mori Chu] wrote:It's fun watching this game. I'd rather see these guys play 100% of the minutes and totally abandon our vets in the real regular season.

I am not super thrilled with Josh Jackson so far. His jump shot is really bad and needs extensive work. Worried about his ability to make an impact on the offensive end. Reed and Mike James look good. Bender's D has been solid.
You must have missed his 5/5 from the FT line.

On a serious note, no one has shot very well for us, outside of Reed. No reason to be worried.

carey

Post by carey »

Marty [Mori Chu] wrote:I am on record as wishing we had gotten either of Tatum or DeAaron Fox (accompanied by Bledsoe trade) rather than Josh Jackson. We'll see how they pan out.
Are you just now saying that? Cause I thought I was the only one saying it at draft time.
Go Suns!

Og Snus!

Sunsfan4life

Post by Sunsfan4life »

Chriss with the 20 footer with a full shot clock up 4. Ugh terrible bball iq. Jackson has put together a nice game. They put him on Fox last 4mins n it helped..loved how many balls he got his hands on.
“Kobe had said (after the play) I wasn’t hugged enough as a child,” Bell recalled. “My mom kind of found him after the instance and we had beat them and offered him a hug in the bowels of the Phoenix arena. She really feels a part of that story.”

carey

Post by carey »

Josh with a quiet 18 points. Reed with 17.
Go Suns!

Og Snus!

EDC

Post by EDC »

Jackson picked up the offense in the second half.

carey

Post by carey »

Does anyone know where I can find a stream of NBATv for The Starters? JJ will be on.
Go Suns!

Og Snus!

EDC

Post by EDC »

Sunsfan4life

Post by Sunsfan4life »

carey wrote:
Marty [Mori Chu] wrote:I am on record as wishing we had gotten either of Tatum or DeAaron Fox (accompanied by Bledsoe trade) rather than Josh Jackson. We'll see how they pan out.
Are you just now saycing that? Cause I thought I was the only one saying it at draft time.
I wanted Fox. I'm on record as saying. He will be ROY but jackson will be better player than tatum. Take tonight..he can't shoot but still helped defend their best player, was a menace on the boards, on consistently challenged shots at the rim. Tatum may be a better scorer n shooter but I think jackson is ahead of. Him in almost everything else. Like how competitive he was too on Fox at the end
Last edited by Sunsfan4life on Fri Jul 07, 2017 10:19 pm, edited 1 time in total.
“Kobe had said (after the play) I wasn’t hugged enough as a child,” Bell recalled. “My mom kind of found him after the instance and we had beat them and offered him a hug in the bowels of the Phoenix arena. She really feels a part of that story.”

specialsauce

Post by specialsauce »

It's very obvious Chriss hasn't matured one bit yet. Not only a bad shooting night but horrible decisions as well.

Jacksons off hand is just wild on his jump shots and his form does not look good at ALL. Good job creating and good on D.

Reed looked the best of anyone.

carey

Post by carey »

specialsauce wrote:It's very obvious Chriss hasn't matured one bit yet. Not only a bad shooting night but horrible decisions as well.

Jacksons off hand is just wild on his jump shots and his form does not look good at ALL. Good job creating and good on D.

Reed looked the best of anyone.
Yup. I'll be eating crow on the Reed selection bec I was definitely "WTF?" He looks like Danny Green.
Go Suns!

Og Snus!

The Bobster

Post by The Bobster »

While they didn't look very sharp tonight and the shooting wasn't very good they still managed to play well enough to win.

There will be growing pains with guys like Chriss, Bender and Jackson because they're so young and inexperienced.

Reed (who played 4 years in college) and James (who played overseas) were really the ones who played the most under control.
Author of The Basketball Draft Fact Book: A History of Professional Basketball's College Drafts
Available from Scarecrow Press at - https://rowman.com/ISBN/9780810890695

Sunsfan4life

Post by Sunsfan4life »

Final thoughts

Jackson as advertised. Super athletic, form is pretty bad, good slasher, but his impact on d will be his best quality right away.

Reed. Very impressed. Heady,smart, can shoot. Think being a senior helps in these leagues try n not do too much.

Bender. Despite the stat line I was encouraged. Defended slalom well, shot looks good, he needs to use that height more though. Work in progress

Chriss. He looks bigger which is good but his bball IQ is bottom of the barrel n he was a black hole out there tonight . You hope maturity comes with age, but in concerned. As others have pointed out, he really did remind me of a morris twin.

In2ition

Post by In2ition »

Sunsfan4life wrote:
carey wrote:
Are you just now saycing that? Cause I thought I was the only one saying it at draft time.
I wanted Fox. I'm on record as saying. He will be ROY but jackson will be better player than tatum. Take tonight..he can't shoot but still helped defend their best player, was a menace on the boards, on consistently challenged shots at the rim. Tatum may be a better scorer n shooter but I think jackson is ahead of. Him in almost everything else. Like how competitive he was too on Fox at the end
I wanted Fox too, and even told the Suns personal immediately after the draft that honestly I wanted Fox or Tatum more than Jackson, when they asked me if I was excited.
"When we all think alike, nobody is thinking" - Walter Lippmann
"Find out just what any people will quietly submit to and you have the exact measure of the injustice and wrong which will be imposed on them." ~ Frederick Douglass

bajanguy008

Post by bajanguy008 »

EDC wrote:We run an offensive set then end with 4 guys around the arc one of them with the ball trying to run an iso. No real movement after the initial "play". Then a lot of times they just watch the shot go up and go back on defense.

We always end up with iso's. Summer league or regular season it doesn't matter. Wish we ran something better.
As someone who wasn't posting last season let me take the time to say add me to the camp that gets a tad annoyed with our sets, don't feel it does the guys much favours getting
the ball in good spots. the cross screen to get Bender to the block then back pick for the lob to Chriss I was like wow a legit after TO play
SUNS Fan from the Land of Sun, Sea and Sand ;)

bajanguy008

Post by bajanguy008 »

Marquese strength and footwork in the post was very good but yes the decisions should be better. was wondering how he would play as he trying to be a leader out there so heavy usage + bad decisions = poor turnovers so yea some good some bad

My uncle who coaches locally would love to add Reed to our debate about Seniors understanding of the game and roles. Reed looks like may it be Kings or GSW that he would have the same demeanor and be not trying to do too much, just shoot when open, drive or pass when closed out and play D. does look like he should be solid

bajanguy008

Post by bajanguy008 »

I liked how Josh played , still believe he's what we need and the jumper is not pretty but don't feel it's a lost cause. Anyways Starters was another good interview and I look forward to him impacting games

TOO

Post by TOO »

carey wrote:
Are you just now saying that? Cause I thought I was the only one saying it at draft time.
Err what?
Jones and Vogel gotta go.

Flagrant Fowl

Post by Flagrant Fowl »

carey wrote:
Com'on man, I pinned for Fox the minute after we landed 4th in the lottery.
Send me a PM if you're interested in joining the phx-suns.net fantasy basketball league.