SL Game Day: Suns (0-0) @ Kings (0-0), Fri 7/7/17

Discussion of the league and of our favorite team.
EDC

Re: SL Game Day: Suns (0-0) @ Kings (0-0), Fri 7/7/17

Post by EDC »

Not to pile on to Chriss because it was just one game but I was kinda annoyed a few times on the defensive end where the whole team was hustling to prevent an in bounds pass and he just stood there giving them an easy throw in to their big.

I was disappointed with the play from both Bender and Chriss. I was hoping we would see some confidence out of those two. I really thought they would be able to take their guys off the dribble and create some offense. Instead we got a lot of outside shots that mostly missed.

How about the coaches worry less about the bigs getting the rebound and pushing the ball and more about offensive sets that will put our players in spots they are comfortable.

Hopefully they were just shaking off some rust and they will be more confident on Sunday.

O_Gardino

Post by O_Gardino »

Like a lot of you have said, I don't like the fake tough guy act that seems to be coming from our coaches. And I don't much care for Chriss' court demeanor, but he sure looked like he could do anything he wanted out there. He just didn't necessarily want the right things.

Loved Bender's smart defense and more aggressive attitude. His shot mechanics were inconsistent, but I think he can practice and be a good shooter. His decision making with the ball was pretty bad. But he hasn't played consistently since he was 16/17 (basically riding the bench for the last 2 years), so my bet is that he has no idea what he can and can't do.

Both Chriss and Bender still have a very long way to go.

Jackson looked like a second year player. He honestly looked more basketball mature than either of our picks from last season. I don't think he will ever be a consistent shooter. That's OK, because I think he will be good enough.

Love what we got in Reed. Apparently, Booker does, too.

The Kings have a lot of talent on their SL squad, so I was glad to get the win against them. There's still a chance that Papagiannis and Fox are ultimately better than Chriss / Jackson.
The league needs heroes, villains... and clowns. -- Aztec Sunsfan

In2ition

Post by In2ition »

Marty [Mori Chu] wrote:They had Fox mic'ed up, and he said something about being "fair and balanced" and taking his opponents to the "no-spin zone."
Haha 8/10
"When we all think alike, nobody is thinking" - Walter Lippmann
"Find out just what any people will quietly submit to and you have the exact measure of the injustice and wrong which will be imposed on them." ~ Frederick Douglass

In2ition

Post by In2ition »

Marty [Mori Chu] wrote:I come away from this SL game really disappointed with Chriss. I didn't like his selection last year, though I admitted that he grew on me over his rookie year. But if he keeps "growing" and playing like he did last night, I wouldn't want him around on this team. Bender could be our future 4 and Len/Williams/whoever could be our 5, and let Chriss go. I don't want any bad attitude players or guys who nag the refs the whole game. Chriss looked like the ghost of everything I hated about the M****s twins from a few years ago.
Agreed
"When we all think alike, nobody is thinking" - Walter Lippmann
"Find out just what any people will quietly submit to and you have the exact measure of the injustice and wrong which will be imposed on them." ~ Frederick Douglass

bajanguy008

Post by bajanguy008 »

Sunsfan4life wrote:Did Harry Giles play last night or did I just zone out when he was in? Don't remember seeing him on the court for Sacto.
Didn't play, they not sure if he will get some games or not
SUNS Fan from the Land of Sun, Sea and Sand ;)

bajanguy008

Post by bajanguy008 »

Oh yea have to mention Mike James , he really started getting to the key and making things happen in the 2nd half
SUNS Fan from the Land of Sun, Sea and Sand ;)

Split T

Post by Split T »

I think it's important not to take these games too seriously. They are more like rec league games and don't mean too much. I didn't like the shooting and the fouling, but that happens in every summer league game it seems.

My thoughts:

Chriss: His shot wasn't there, but he showed some good skill in the post and rebounded well. He was aggressive. He gets frustrated too easily when calls don't go his way and he stops playing. That needs to change.

Bender: Didn't always go in, but his stroke looked nice. He played solid post D on skal. Looked a bit awkward making moves off the dribble.

Jackson: shot didn't fall, but most were pull up shots and I don't think he's quite ready for that. I think we'll see more spot up shooting from him in regular season. He's got a good handle and did well getting to the rim. He had a few nice passes. He rebounded and he defended Fox at the end and stopped his run. Overall, he did everything but shoot, which is what he was advertised as.

Jones Jr: Hit a nice 3, played some decent D, and finished around the rim. Didn't try to do too much, but played well.

Reed: Probably the best all around game. His shot looked nice, he played solid D and like Jones Jr, he didn't try to do too much.

James: He's quick and can get to the rim and finishes ok for his size. More of a scoring point. Ulis would be very helpful out there.

Superbone

Post by Superbone »

jonh wrote:It would be nice if our high draft picks over the last 2 years could shoot though. Also not a fan of the "edge" that Watson likes our players to have.
I don't know why not. All the best players have it.
"Too little, too late, too unbothered."
- Phoenix Suns 2023-2024 season motto.

"Be Legendary."

Superbone

Post by Superbone »

bajanguy008 wrote:Oh yea have to mention Mike James , he really started getting to the key and making things happen in the 2nd half
12 points, 6 boards, 7 assists, 4 steals, and 0 turnovers. Not bad at all.

"Be Legendary."

Sunsfan4life

Post by Sunsfan4life »

Split T wrote:I think it's important not to take these games too seriously. They are more like rec league games and don't mean too much. I didn't like the shooting and the fouling, but that happens in every summer league game it seems.

My thoughts:

Chriss: His shot wasn't there, but he showed some good skill in the post and rebounded well. He was aggressive. He gets frustrated too easily when calls don't go his way and he stops playing. That needs to change.

Bender: Didn't always go in, but his stroke looked nice. He played solid post D on skal. Looked a bit awkward making moves off the dribble.

Jackson: shot didn't fall, but most were pull up shots and I don't think he's quite ready for that. I think we'll see more spot up shooting from him in regular season. He's got a good handle and did well getting to the rim. He had a few nice passes. He rebounded and he defended Fox at the end and stopped his run. Overall, he did everything but shoot, which is what he was advertised as.

Jones Jr: Hit a nice 3, played some decent D, and finished around the rim. Didn't try to do too much, but played well.

Reed: Probably the best all around game. His shot looked nice, he played solid D and like Jones Jr, he didn't try to do too much.

James: He's quick and can get to the rim and finishes ok for his size. More of a scoring point. Ulis would be very helpful out there.

I think its worth pointing out that summer league is more favorable to guys like Tatum and Fultz who's best skill is getting their own shot. There being guarded in most cases by fringe NBA guys or guys who won't make the L. I expect Josh Jackson to play better when playing with better guards who can deliver him the ball in more favorable positions. So I'm not worried if he is not putting up the numbers some of the other guys do. Jackson's best attributes now I think will show more playing with NBA Talent.

Someone mentioned Ulis, It's a shame he's not out there because I think it would benefit Chriss, Bender, and Jackson greatly this week playing with an NBA level point guard. (No offense to James) and a guy who can run an offense. When James was out you saw them have Bender bring the ball up the floor or a guy like Stockton who just isn't an NBA level player.
“Kobe had said (after the play) I wasn’t hugged enough as a child,” Bell recalled. “My mom kind of found him after the instance and we had beat them and offered him a hug in the bowels of the Phoenix arena. She really feels a part of that story.”

Sunsfan4life

Post by Sunsfan4life »

Superbone wrote:
jonh wrote:It would be nice if our high draft picks over the last 2 years could shoot though. Also not a fan of the "edge" that Watson likes our players to have.

There is a difference between having an edge/swagger and just trying to act tough or intimidate. Raja Bell played with an Edge. Chris Paul plays with an edge. Booker, most of the time, plays with swagger. I felt Chriss was out there last night just trying to be tough. Kieff, particularly his last year here, just tried to be tough. Even when he got calls he'd roll his eyes, just didn't like the attitude. I like to see him reel it in a bit and cut the flexing and staring crap down after and 1's and esp. stop the "let me look at the official for 5 seconds while the play is still going on" stuff. I don't mind when he came to Jackson's defense during the skirmish stuff".

Book said something interesting during his interview about Chriss "thinking he is a vet out there now because it's his 2nd year" and I felt you could see that. He was expecting to get calls just because he was being guarded by rookies and non-established guys. Work hard and it tkes care of itself.
“Kobe had said (after the play) I wasn’t hugged enough as a child,” Bell recalled. “My mom kind of found him after the instance and we had beat them and offered him a hug in the bowels of the Phoenix arena. She really feels a part of that story.”

Superbone

Post by Superbone »

Sunsfan4life wrote:
Superbone wrote:

There is a difference between having an edge/swagger and just trying to act tough or intimidate. Raja Bell played with an Edge. Chris Paul plays with an edge. Booker, most of the time, plays with swagger. I felt Chriss was out there last night just trying to be tough. Kieff, particularly his last year here, just tried to be tough. Even when he got calls he'd roll his eyes, just didn't like the attitude. I like to see him reel it in a bit and cut the flexing and staring crap down after and 1's and esp. stop the "let me look at the official for 5 seconds while the play is still going on" stuff. I don't mind when he came to Jackson's defense during the skirmish stuff".

Book said something interesting during his interview about Chriss "thinking he is a vet out there now because it's his 2nd year" and I felt you could see that. He was expecting to get calls just because he was being guarded by rookies and non-established guys. Work hard and it tkes care of itself.
Yep, I agree with all of that. I think we all agree that Quese needs to knock it off. I really like Jackson's demeanor on the court (and off) thus far.

"Be Legendary."

JustWinBaby

Post by JustWinBaby »

Superbone wrote:
bajanguy008 wrote:Oh yea have to mention Mike James , he really started getting to the key and making things happen in the 2nd half
Hey Bone - stop bringing up the facts - that is a pretty impressive line - he could be a very solid addition.

Regarding Jackson - I love him and think in the end he is going to be fantastic. He generally was able to get his shot whenever he wanted, it just did not go in as much as a we would have liked. He reportedly is a gym rat and I expect that problem will be fixed. I remember Michael Jordan was not a great shooter coming in from college and Amare was supposed to provide only rebounding and dunks. Both of those guys were extremely aggressive and worked their butts off to become very good jump shooters. I see the same thing happening to Jackson. JJ is non stop movement and aggression, I love it. He is just what the doctor ordered for this team.

I am with most on the board. Bender should be the 5 at least on defense. I think we could turn out just fine on offense and positions mean nothing in todays NBA, patience is going to be needed. Chriss was my biggest disappointment. I am not sure how to fix him or even if he can be fixed. He seems to have some skills but I really expected more than what we saw from him last night. He had a lot of wide open looks last night and bricked virtually all of them. He needs to stay away from Burger King and get in the gym.
I wanted Monty as our coach since D'Antoni left town. Nice choice James Jones.

Sunsfan4life

Post by Sunsfan4life »

Hey Bone, you were there last night, right? Love to hear your takes from witnessing the game in person. Any bench stuff we didn't see? Anybody physically more or less impressie in person? I take it you prob had pretty good seats because it seemed like the arena emptied after the LA game.

Superbone

Post by Superbone »

JustWinBaby wrote:
Superbone wrote:
Hey Bone - stop bringing up the facts - that is a pretty impressive line - he could be a very solid addition.
:D I forgot to mention his monster dunk as well. The guy is a competitor.

"Be Legendary."

Superbone

Post by Superbone »

JustWinBaby wrote:Regarding Jackson - I love him and think in the end he is going to be fantastic. He generally was able to get his shot whenever he wanted, it just did not go in as much as a we would have liked. He reportedly is a gym rat and I expect that problem will be fixed. I remember Michael Jordan was not a great shooter coming in from college and Amare was supposed to provide only rebounding and dunks. Both of those guys were extremely aggressive and worked their butts off to become very good jump shooters. I see the same thing happening to Jackson. JJ is non stop movement and aggression, I love it. He is just what the doctor ordered for this team.
+1. I am really high on him as well. I love that he plays both ends of the floor. His defense is already really good. His offense will continue to improve as he puts in the work. We might not have another Leonard but I love that he patterns his game after him.

"Be Legendary."

Superbone

Post by Superbone »

Sunsfan4life wrote:Hey Bone, you were there last night, right? Love to hear your takes from witnessing the game in person. Any bench stuff we didn't see? Anybody physically more or less impressie in person? I take it you prob had pretty good seats because it seemed like the arena emptied after the LA game.
I didn't watch the bench a lot but it was really cool that Booker, Ulis, and Williams were all there to support the team. I will watch more closely on Sunday. Yes, great seats 20 rows up at center court. Physically Chriss and Bender looked bigger than most. The James dunk was really impressive live. The dude is only 6'1". Jackson was always measured and dialed in. Love his on court persona.

It was just cool walking around the arena. My son noted that the average height of the spectators was abnormally tall. At one point I turned around on the concourse and the guy behind me had to be at least 7'1". It's wild seeing that in person.

"Be Legendary."

carey

Post by carey »

I'm a bit surprised that Williams is there given his contract situation. I wonder if this means he's leaning towards taking the deal the Suns offered?
Go Suns!

Og Snus!

JCSunsfan

Post by JCSunsfan »

carey wrote:I'm a bit surprised that Williams is there given his contract situation. I wonder if this means he's leaning towards taking the deal the Suns offered?
I think that is a fair assessment. The Suns have probably told him they intend to match any offers. They may have even agreed for him to sign but are holding off in case they need his cap space to make a deal. They can still sign him afterwards.

ShelC

Post by ShelC »

Jackson will never be Devin Booker on offense. But he can be a rhythm shooter off the dribble with his step back that he uses to create space. So that's encouraging. But he'll never go at his man and just rise up for a jumper because the form isn't there.