SL Game Day: Rockets (1-1) @ Suns (1-1), Mon 7/10/17

Discussion of the league and of our favorite team.
O_Gardino

Re: SL Game Day: Rockets (1-1) @ Suns (1-1), Mon 7/10/17

Post by O_Gardino »

Ring_Wanted wrote:
Sunsfan4life wrote:
iLLmatic wrote:
ShelC wrote:I'm heading down that path with McD too. We've had some really high draft picks now and it doesn't look like there's a gamechanger/stud among them. We got Booker at 13, who's for sure a stud. But Len (5), Bender (4), Chriss (8) are questionable at the moment, with Len really looking like he's on his way out. You can't go thru this period of losing and miss on top 10 picks, or top 5 for that matter.
Booker was the obvious choice at 13, I think everybody on this board wanted Booker there. Admittedly I liked Len at 5, but I also liked CJ too. I did not like Bender or Chriss, the guys on the radio were having orgasms over that deal like McDonough pulled off some sort of miracle. I felt like it was so-so at the time because both players were unproven. Chriss being so raw and Bender a foreign prospect who was not even a starter on his previous team.

If you remove Booker from his draft history, you have pretty mediocre results; four of these picks were lottery picks::

Tyler Ulis - Backup PG
TJ Warren - Sixth man SF
Alex Len - On his way out
Tyler Ennis - Traded (bench fodder)
Archie Goodwin - Released
Dragan Bender - Still too raw to project (not aggressive enough)
Marquise Chriss - Still too raw to project (too aggressive in the wrong way)
Alec Brown - Who??
Bogdan Bogdanovic - Remains to be seen
I cannot stand when people say this. So if Booker was a bust, McDonaugh wouldn't be at fault? He deserves credit for this pick. It's not like Booker was Lebron James coming out.
I've posted in this spirit before. People act like picking Booker was a given, but I think it could have been guys like Dekker or Oubre (who I like a lot, btw). Selecting Booker warrants undisputed praise in my opinion.

As for the rest, I won't knock the GM for the results 2013 draft, because a) I didn't really pay attention and b) in hindsight that was a trerrible class.

Warren, again, was an extremely ready to score prospect but Hornacek just didn't use him. That's on the coach, imo. Besides, Warren still has the ability and I think it is just a matter of continuity, which he has not had over his last two seasons due to injuries (with the head one being so weird and obscure to this day). Btw, this season he showed a lot of improvement on defense and rebounding.

I didn't like the trade for Chriss. At best you are looking at a hobo Amare. And for the life of me, I don't see the athleticism. He jumps, but being an athlete is much more than that. Perhaps we didn't give up a ton in terms of assets, but here we could have a case of Minni drafting Rubio and Flynn.

Which brings us to Bender, who is a 7'1 real basketball player but basically a blank canvas at this point. It's up to the coaching staff what path his development follows. Do you bulk him and make him a C? Do you keep him slimmer and try to gain a multiuse forward? I didn't like Watson favoring Chriss at all, especially the first half of the season. Bender was defending pretty well and if nothing else, moves the ball around. Not much but at least not a liability overall, unlike Chriss during a good chunk of the season.

Anyway, look at the rest of the 2016 class. Disgusting. What really sucks over these recent years is the stupid timing of our loses. Top 5 picks in 2013 and 2016. Pffff.

Ulis deserves a honorable mention, and Reed could end up being a nice 2ndR too.

Here's to a 2017-18 season of youth development, good loses and a strong 2018 draft (a dominant big man, please), because with the kids we have. I don't think we are not going far.
I like your take, Ring.

I would add that Jones Jr and Williams are good additions. While they aren't draft picks, they certainty are examples of McD adding young talent to the team.

The two things I don't like are Moving up for Chriss when there were so many prospects who were just as good, and drafting Warren when we already had 3 SF on the roster.

McD isn't a disaster, but he still has to prove himself in terms of team building and knowing a good trade vs a waste of assets.
The league needs heroes, villains... and clowns. -- Aztec Sunsfan

Ring_Wanted

Post by Ring_Wanted »

3rdside wrote:Well you're either doing one or the other really well but definitely not both - he's stacked on the weight so I'd propose it's his cardio that's taking a back seat for now.
His cardio is for sure not there. The thing is that it should and my point is that both goals are largely compatible under a well programmed routine. For sure if you want to build like Arnold you can't run like Gebrselassie and viceversa. But a 20 year old basketball player can (and should) lift to imporove his frame while
simultaneously working his cardio to get enough endurance not to be gassed. It's just that it is super easy to give in and just lift becase cardio sucks to most people.

Ring_Wanted

Post by Ring_Wanted »

3rdside wrote: I may be wrong - can't think of any examples off the top of my head - but having an end goal for a player's weight in order to slot him into a position feels a bit like putting the cart before the horse.
It's the other way around. You have a goal role and you build the player's body towards that goal. Evaluate talent and tendencies first, develop second.

Cap

Post by Cap »

In2ition wrote:
Cap wrote:
In2ition wrote:
Cap wrote:
In2ition wrote: This ^. I was saying this last year during the draft about that draft, TJ's draft, and Len's draft. Why the heck does he double down when it's clearly a weak draft?
I don't get this criticism. We came into the draft with #4 and #13. The cost of trading up from #13 to #8 was small. What's the big deal?
It was more doubling down on two PFs, but it cost the Suns #13, #2? and Bogdan for #8.
So if you don't like trading for #8 in a "s*** draft," why do you mind trading away #13 and #28 in that same draft?
It was about 3 for 1. At least they would have had more chances to hit. Idk, I just needto have a more open mind. Yesterday's game just hit a nerve with me.
3 for 1? How many young bodies can we accumulate?

Jackson, Reed, Bender, Chriss, Ulis, Jones Jr, Booker, Williams, Warren, James, Millsap... That's eleven players in their first four years of service. Too few for your taste?
Last edited by Cap on Tue Jul 11, 2017 9:06 am, edited 1 time in total.

ShelC

Post by ShelC »

Ring_Wanted wrote:
3rdside wrote: I may be wrong - can't think of any examples off the top of my head - but having an end goal for a player's weight in order to slot him into a position feels a bit like putting the cart before the horse.
It's the other way around. You have a goal role and you build the player's body towards that goal. Evaluate talent and tendencies first, develop second.
We have some of the best trainers in the league who have worked with athletes for years. I can't see any reason why Chriss would be overweight if he's been in Phoenix this entire time, presumably with our training staff who has him on some sort of program. Just seems weird.

AbeVroman

Post by AbeVroman »

I was only able to catch some of the first half but liked what I saw. JJ's orange shoes were badass.

I don't want to rehash all the posts but the stuff about McD caught my attention. I've been a big supporter of giving him time but I'm starting to lose some faith. Sometimes when he speaks something strikes me as 'off'. Like he's so business all the time that maybe he has trouble connecting with people/players sometimes. I do think that is important on some level.

Re: the 2013 draft. I hated the Len pick and was hoping we'd take a chance on Noel. I think that same draft turned out Giannis, Gorgui Dieng and Rudy Gobert - all after our pick. So, there WAS talent and yes lots of others missed too, but some GMs got it right. Just sayin'.

Superbone

Post by Superbone »

ShelC wrote:
Superbone wrote:
ShelC wrote:Jackson's interesting to watch. He's a guy who doesn't stop moving so his reactions are quicker than most, he plays hard all the time but just doesn't show a lot of emotion. No screaming or clapping hands, just goes about his business. I can't think of a player we've had that he compares to.
Not that we've had but similar characteristics to Leonard.
NBADraft.net had the Butler/Leonard comparisons...I see some Jimmy Butler for sure, less Kawhi. I don't think he'll be the scorer those two are but I am enamored with his ability to handle the ball and run plays on his own. I wouldn't run him exclusively as a PG, but in the flow of the game if he grabs the board, brings the ball up and runs PnR or sets up a play, I'm fine with it. That'll lend itself to the "positionless" basketball we talk about and want to get to.
I was speaking more to how you mention he carries himself. Always plays hard without a lot of emotion, screaming, or clapping hands. That's very Kawhi like.
"Be Legendary."

Big Jake Little Jake

Post by Big Jake Little Jake »

Superbone wrote:
Big Jake Little Jake wrote: Yeah I saw all this from behind the bench. Jackson wasn't wrong.
I also heard Chriss yell at Jackson for his bad entry passes in the post. They made up quickly though.
Saw you behind the bench. I was a couple rows back and a section over. Sorry, I didn't get a chance to say hi with all the crowds and all.
All good - there were WAY too many Lakers fans around! Maybe I'll see you there next year.

Did you stay for Lakers/Kings? That was a fun game.

Superbone

Post by Superbone »

Big Jake Little Jake wrote:
Superbone wrote:
Big Jake Little Jake wrote: Yeah I saw all this from behind the bench. Jackson wasn't wrong.
I also heard Chriss yell at Jackson for his bad entry passes in the post. They made up quickly though.
Saw you behind the bench. I was a couple rows back and a section over. Sorry, I didn't get a chance to say hi with all the crowds and all.
All good - there were WAY too many Lakers fans around! Maybe I'll see you there next year.

Did you stay for Lakers/Kings? That was a fun game.
I agree on the too many Lakers fans. Had an obnoxious one a couple rows behind me. Nah, headed back to California after the Suns game.
"Be Legendary."

INFORMER

Post by INFORMER »

Ring_Wanted wrote:People act like picking Booker was a given, but I think it could have been guys like Dekker or Oubre (who I like a lot, btw). Selecting Booker warrants undisputed praise in my opinion.
Agreed.
Trendon Watford. Please and thank you.

INFORMER

Post by INFORMER »

iLLmatic wrote:I don't care if he picked Chriss or Bender because last year's draft was kind of weak, what made it bad is that he doubled down on a s*** draft.
I like the talent in that draft just fine. I just don't feel Ryan recognized where it was and what is was worth. Doubling down on two very raw prospects with high bustability and marginal upside is what was so ridiculous.

But what do I know with my silly draft grades.

INFORMER

Post by INFORMER »

AbeVroman wrote: Re: the 2013 draft. I hated the Len pick and was hoping we'd take a chance on Noel. I think that same draft turned out Giannis, Gorgui Dieng and Rudy Gobert - all after our pick. So, there WAS talent and yes lots of others missed too, but some GMs got it right. Just sayin'.
Exactly.

Truth be told, I wasn't a big Greek Freak proponent. He intrigued me, but I wasn't pulling for the Suns to draft him. I really loved McCollum and Gobert.

specialsauce

Post by specialsauce »

Nobody was calling for Gobert to be picked #5 overall. Or Greek freak.

You can't blame a GM for not taking a player at 5 that more than half the league passed on. There's a limit to scouting and there will always be disappointments and surprises. Give me a break

Indy

Post by Indy »

specialsauce wrote:Nobody was calling for Gobert to be picked #5 overall. Or Greek freak.

You can't blame a GM for not taking a player at 5 that more than half the league passed on. There's a limit to scouting and there will always be disappointments and surprises. Give me a break
If you have a guy you think is BPA, you take him when you pick. It doesn't matter if it is 3 spots "too early" or 20.

specialsauce

Post by specialsauce »

What I'm saying is you don't hold a player against a GM who over half the league passed on. That is more of a player surpassing expectations than 26 organizations being incompetent in Goberts case or 14 in Greak Freak.

Split T

Post by Split T »

Jazz even passed on Gobert once, for Trey Burke

Hermen

Post by Hermen »

And John Hammond who drafted Giannis for the Bucks said to Woj on his podcast that they had no idea he would become this good and that the draft is very much a crapshoot.

INFORMER

Post by INFORMER »

specialsauce wrote: You can't blame a GM for not taking a player at 5 that more than half the league passed on.
There is not rule that says you have to stay at the draft spot you're given.