SL Game Day: Rockets (1-1) @ Suns (1-1), Mon 7/10/17

Discussion of the league and of our favorite team.
Cap

Re: SL Game Day: Rockets (1-1) @ Suns (1-1), Mon 7/10/17

Post by Cap »

In2ition wrote:
Cap wrote:
In2ition wrote:
iLLmatic wrote:
I don't care if he picked Chriss or Bender because last year's draft was kind of weak, what made it bad is that he doubled down on a s*** draft. I still don't see the wizardry of McDonough's drafting abilities.
This ^. I was saying this last year during the draft about that draft, TJ's draft, and Len's draft. Why the heck does he double down when it's clearly a weak draft?
I don't get this criticism. We came into the draft with #4 and #13. The cost of trading up from #13 to #8 was small. What's the big deal?
It was more doubling down on two PFs, but it cost the Suns #13, #2? and Bogdan for #8.
So if you don't like trading for #8 in a "shit draft," why do you mind trading away #13 and #28 in that same draft?

In2ition

Post by In2ition »

Cap wrote:
In2ition wrote:
Cap wrote:
In2ition wrote:
iLLmatic wrote:
I don't care if he picked Chriss or Bender because last year's draft was kind of weak, what made it bad is that he doubled down on a s*** draft. I still don't see the wizardry of McDonough's drafting abilities.
This ^. I was saying this last year during the draft about that draft, TJ's draft, and Len's draft. Why the heck does he double down when it's clearly a weak draft?
I don't get this criticism. We came into the draft with #4 and #13. The cost of trading up from #13 to #8 was small. What's the big deal?
It was more doubling down on two PFs, but it cost the Suns #13, #2? and Bogdan for #8.
So if you don't like trading for #8 in a "s*** draft," why do you mind trading away #13 and #28 in that same draft?
It was about 3 for 1. At least they would have had more chances to hit. Idk, I just needto have a more open mind. Yesterday's game just hit a nerve with me.
"When we all think alike, nobody is thinking" - Walter Lippmann
"Find out just what any people will quietly submit to and you have the exact measure of the injustice and wrong which will be imposed on them." ~ Frederick Douglass

n4th4n

Post by n4th4n »

In2ition wrote:
Cap wrote:
In2ition wrote:
Cap wrote:
In2ition wrote: This ^. I was saying this last year during the draft about that draft, TJ's draft, and Len's draft. Why the heck does he double down when it's clearly a weak draft?
So if you don't like trading for #8 in a "s*** draft," why do you mind trading away #13 and #28 in that same draft?
It was about 3 for 1. At least they would have had more chances to hit. Idk, I just needto have a more open mind. Yesterday's game just hit a nerve with me.
Yesterday's game was super frustrating, but just remember, it's only one game. The kids on this summer league roster are still half a decade from hitting their prime. We just need to be patient and see how the season goes.

The Bobster

Post by The Bobster »

I'm just hoping somebody from the Suns' coaching staff or one of the veteran players on the team says to Chriss "Hey, you need to be in better shape. Just putting on muscle isn't enough. And cut out all the pointless posturing." mainly because I think he's physically talented enough that he can pretty much be as good as he really wants to make himself. I think ultimately his basketball IQ is going to hold him back, but if he works hard and refines his game he could become very, very good.

And I think this in part is why all of us get so frustrated with him when he does stupid things - we see the potential in this kid. He may be a long way from being a star, and the chances of him getting there may be remote, but there's still that possibility. The next couple of years will tell us a lot about what to ultimately expect.
Author of The Basketball Draft Fact Book: A History of Professional Basketball's College Drafts
Available from Scarecrow Press at - https://rowman.com/ISBN/9780810890695

specialsauce

Post by specialsauce »

In2ition wrote:
Cap wrote:
In2ition wrote:
iLLmatic wrote:
Yawn. Not losing sleep over any of that.

AmareIsGod

Post by AmareIsGod »

specialsauce wrote:
In2ition wrote:
Cap wrote:
In2ition wrote:
iLLmatic wrote:
Yawn. Not losing sleep over any of that.
Yeah but... Bogdan is killing it in the NBA Summer League.
What is smallball? I play basketball. I'm not a regular big man. I can switch from the center to the guards. The game is evolving. I'd be dominAyton if the WNBA would let me in. - Ayton

Shabazz

Post by Shabazz »

I just want to say that I don't really care for Kenny Smith in studio, but he may be the worst color analyst I've ever heard. He's what you get when you combine someone who's always trying to sound clever but never is with someone who does zero research for a game he's about to call and tries to wing it. Ugh. Half the game was "I didn't know [player] could do [thing]."

3rdside

Post by 3rdside »

The Bobster wrote:I'm just hoping somebody from the Suns' coaching staff or one of the veteran players on the team says to Chriss "Hey, you need to be in better shape. Just putting on muscle isn't enough. And cut out all the pointless posturing." mainly because I think he's physically talented enough that he can pretty much be as good as he really wants to make himself. I think ultimately his basketball IQ is going to hold him back, but if he works hard and refines his game he could become very, very good.

And I think this in part is why all of us get so frustrated with him when he does stupid things - we see the potential in this kid. He may be a long way from being a star, and the chances of him getting there may be remote, but there's still that possibility. The next couple of years will tell us a lot about what to ultimately expect.
We're only what, 3 months removed from the end of the season? To bulk up you basically have to lift weights, eat, and sit on your ass...I think it's pretty normal that he's gassed in other words.

ShelC

Post by ShelC »

Don't think this was posted but it's from a few days ago. Talks about Chriss and his offseason thus far:

http://arizonasports.com/story/1168363/ ... son-shape/

A few notable things:
Following Summer League, Chriss plans to spend some time with center Tyson Chandler. There’s an expectation that Chriss will be asked to play center next season, or at least be the ‘5’ when the Suns choose to go small.

“I’ve been talking to Tyson, texting him back-and-forth,” Chriss said. “We were supposed to meet earlier in the summer but then I came back down here and when I came here, he left so I’ve been here just working out with the coaches. Me and him just set it up that we’re going to meet after Summer League when the teams kind of go (their) separate (ways). I’m just going to stay down in L.A. with him for a couple of weeks and workout out and just train.”

The opportunity to pick the brain of a 16-year NBA veteran is something Chriss is looking forward to.

“It means a lot to me, honestly, as a person more than a player,” he said. “Just that he cares that much about me and how I’m going to succeed in the NBA; and he cares about my growth as a person and as a player; and that he’s willing to take the time out of his summer with his family, with his kids inviting me into his home and train me and help me work out just to get better.”

The business of basketball is also expected to be discussed, according to Chriss, who leading up to the draft found himself the subject of trade rumors.

“I can’t control that. It happens,” he said. “While I’m here—and I hope I’m here for a long time. I love being here, I love Phoenix, I love the team—I’m just going to give it my all.”

Chriss turned 20 last Sunday, but he’s still growing into his body. His early summer work is already paying dividends. After weighing in at 230 pounds as a rookie, Chriss is “almost 250. I’m looking to tone my body up more; just get more in shape. I don’t feel out of shape, but I want to get in mid-season shape right now,” he said.
I like that he's planning on working out with Chandler and it shows the importance of having him around a young guy like Chriss. I like that he wants to be in Phoenix and work hard. I think he's maybe bulked up adding strength at the expense of conditioning thus far, which is fine for the summer. Guys tend to lose weight during the season, especially younger ones who have yet to put on and keep that natural weight. If you're looking to add strength and get bigger, you bulk up first and then work off the excess weight It's hard to do both at the same time. So if he played last season at 230, bulks up to 250 and then works off 8-10lbs getting into top shape, he should be OK. He's clearly not in top shape at the moment so it's something to keep an eye as training camp rolls around.

Ring_Wanted

Post by Ring_Wanted »

Sunsfan4life wrote:
iLLmatic wrote:
ShelC wrote:I'm heading down that path with McD too. We've had some really high draft picks now and it doesn't look like there's a gamechanger/stud among them. We got Booker at 13, who's for sure a stud. But Len (5), Bender (4), Chriss (8) are questionable at the moment, with Len really looking like he's on his way out. You can't go thru this period of losing and miss on top 10 picks, or top 5 for that matter.
Booker was the obvious choice at 13, I think everybody on this board wanted Booker there. Admittedly I liked Len at 5, but I also liked CJ too. I did not like Bender or Chriss, the guys on the radio were having orgasms over that deal like McDonough pulled off some sort of miracle. I felt like it was so-so at the time because both players were unproven. Chriss being so raw and Bender a foreign prospect who was not even a starter on his previous team.

If you remove Booker from his draft history, you have pretty mediocre results; four of these picks were lottery picks::

Tyler Ulis - Backup PG
TJ Warren - Sixth man SF
Alex Len - On his way out
Tyler Ennis - Traded (bench fodder)
Archie Goodwin - Released
Dragan Bender - Still too raw to project (not aggressive enough)
Marquise Chriss - Still too raw to project (too aggressive in the wrong way)
Alec Brown - Who??
Bogdan Bogdanovic - Remains to be seen
I cannot stand when people say this. So if Booker was a bust, McDonaugh wouldn't be at fault? He deserves credit for this pick. It's not like Booker was Lebron James coming out.
I've posted in this spirit before. People act like picking Booker was a given, but I think it could have been guys like Dekker or Oubre (who I like a lot, btw). Selecting Booker warrants undisputed praise in my opinion.

As for the rest, I won't knock the GM for the results 2013 draft, because a) I didn't really pay attention and b) in hindsight that was a trerrible class.

Warren, again, was an extremely ready to score prospect but Hornacek just didn't use him. That's on the coach, imo. Besides, Warren still has the ability and I think it is just a matter of continuity, which he has not had over his last two seasons due to injuries (with the head one being so weird and obscure to this day). Btw, this season he showed a lot of improvement on defense and rebounding.

I didn't like the trade for Chriss. At best you are looking at a hobo Amare. And for the life of me, I don't see the athleticism. He jumps, but being an athlete is much more than that. Perhaps we didn't give up a ton in terms of assets, but here we could have a case of Minni drafting Rubio and Flynn.

Which brings us to Bender, who is a 7'1 real basketball player but basically a blank canvas at this point. It's up to the coaching staff what path his development follows. Do you bulk him and make him a C? Do you keep him slimmer and try to gain a multiuse forward? I didn't like Watson favoring Chriss at all, especially the first half of the season. Bender was defending pretty well and if nothing else, moves the ball around. Not much but at least not a liability overall, unlike Chriss during a good chunk of the season.

Anyway, look at the rest of the 2016 class. Disgusting. What really sucks over these recent years is the stupid timing of our loses. Top 5 picks in 2013 and 2016. Pffff.

Ulis deserves a honorable mention, and Reed could end up being a nice 2ndR too.

Here's to a 2017-18 season of youth development, good loses and a strong 2018 draft (a dominant big man, please), because with the kids we have. I don't think we are not going far.

Ring_Wanted

Post by Ring_Wanted »

3rdside wrote:We're only what, 3 months removed from the end of the season? To bulk up you basically have to lift weights, eat, and sit on your ass...I think it's pretty normal that he's gassed in other words.
Not really. You should always do cardio and if it is bulk season, just consume more calories to compensate the expenditure of running or whatever gives you the ability to not be gassed while playing pro basketball.

3rdside

Post by 3rdside »

Ring_Wanted wrote:
3rdside wrote:We're only what, 3 months removed from the end of the season? To bulk up you basically have to lift weights, eat, and sit on your ass...I think it's pretty normal that he's gassed in other words.
Not really. You should always do cardio and if it is bulk season, just consume more calories to compensate the expenditure of running or whatever gives you the ability to not be gassed while playing pro basketball.
Well you're either doing one or the other really well but definitely not both - he's stacked on the weight so I'd propose it's his cardio that's taking a back seat for now.

Superbone

Post by Superbone »

TheOriginalOriginal wrote:
carey wrote:That was a weird factoid. Luke Kennard is a left handed basketball shooter but a right handed writer and he played QB as a right handed thrower.
I'm the same way, but the opposite. Yeah, that.
You played QB as a left handed thower? Cool.
"Be Legendary."

Superbone

Post by Superbone »

carey wrote:We had 2 timeouts and James just launches an early 3. So dumb.
Yeah, not a great end to my Vegas NBA Summer League experience. Wanted to see Jackson or Reed shoot it.
"Be Legendary."

3rdside

Post by 3rdside »

Ring_Wanted wrote:
Sunsfan4life wrote:
iLLmatic wrote:
ShelC wrote:I'm heading down that path with McD too. We've had some really high draft picks now and it doesn't look like there's a gamechanger/stud among them. We got Booker at 13, who's for sure a stud. But Len (5), Bender (4), Chriss (8) are questionable at the moment, with Len really looking like he's on his way out. You can't go thru this period of losing and miss on top 10 picks, or top 5 for that matter.
Booker was the obvious choice at 13, I think everybody on this board wanted Booker there. Admittedly I liked Len at 5, but I also liked CJ too. I did not like Bender or Chriss, the guys on the radio were having orgasms over that deal like McDonough pulled off some sort of miracle. I felt like it was so-so at the time because both players were unproven. Chriss being so raw and Bender a foreign prospect who was not even a starter on his previous team.

If you remove Booker from his draft history, you have pretty mediocre results; four of these picks were lottery picks::

Tyler Ulis - Backup PG
TJ Warren - Sixth man SF
Alex Len - On his way out
Tyler Ennis - Traded (bench fodder)
Archie Goodwin - Released
Dragan Bender - Still too raw to project (not aggressive enough)
Marquise Chriss - Still too raw to project (too aggressive in the wrong way)
Alec Brown - Who??
Bogdan Bogdanovic - Remains to be seen
I cannot stand when people say this. So if Booker was a bust, McDonaugh wouldn't be at fault? He deserves credit for this pick. It's not like Booker was Lebron James coming out.
I've posted in this spirit before. People act like picking Booker was a given, but I think it could have been guys like Dekker or Oubre (who I like a lot, btw). Selecting Booker warrants undisputed praise in my opinion.

As for the rest, I won't knock the GM for the results 2013 draft, because a) I didn't really pay attention and b) in hindsight that was a trerrible class.

Warren, again, was an extremely ready to score prospect but Hornacek just didn't use him. That's on the coach, imo. Besides, Warren still has the ability and I think it is just a matter of continuity, which he has not had over his last two seasons due to injuries (with the head one being so weird and obscure to this day). Btw, this season he showed a lot of improvement on defense and rebounding.

I didn't like the trade for Chriss. At best you are looking at a hobo Amare. And for the life of me, I don't see the athleticism. He jumps, but being an athlete is much more than that. Perhaps we didn't give up a ton in terms of assets, but here we could have a case of Minni drafting Rubio and Flynn.

Which brings us to Bender, who is a 7'1 real basketball player but basically a blank canvas at this point. It's up to the coaching staff what path his development follows. Do you bulk him and make him a C? Do you keep him slimmer and try to gain a multiuse forward? I didn't like Watson favoring Chriss at all, especially the first half of the season. Bender was defending pretty well and if nothing else, moves the ball around. Not much but at least not a liability overall, unlike Chriss during a good chunk of the season.

Anyway, look at the rest of the 2016 class. Disgusting. What really sucks over these recent years is the stupid timing of our loses. Top 5 picks in 2013 and 2016. Pffff.

Ulis deserves a honorable mention, and Reed could end up being a nice 2ndR too.

Here's to a 2017-18 season of youth development, good loses and a strong 2018 draft (a dominant big man, please), because with the kids we have. I don't think we are not going far.
I may be wrong - can't think of any examples off the top of my head - but having an end goal for a player's weight in order to slot him into a position feels a bit like putting the cart before the horse.

I would have thought a player has an optimal maximum weight, beyond which he loses an important part of his skill set (agility, hops) and also puts unnecessary strain on his joints, neither of which are desirable, the latter particularly the case for a 7 footer.

Superbone

Post by Superbone »

Big Jake Little Jake wrote: Yeah I saw all this from behind the bench. Jackson wasn't wrong.
I also heard Chriss yell at Jackson for his bad entry passes in the post. They made up quickly though.
Saw you behind the bench. I was a couple rows back and a section over. Sorry, I didn't get a chance to say hi with all the crowds and all.
"Be Legendary."

Superbone

Post by Superbone »

ShelC wrote:Jackson's interesting to watch. He's a guy who doesn't stop moving so his reactions are quicker than most, he plays hard all the time but just doesn't show a lot of emotion. No screaming or clapping hands, just goes about his business. I can't think of a player we've had that he compares to.
Not that we've had but similar characteristics to Leonard.
"Be Legendary."

Superbone

Post by Superbone »

The Bobster wrote:I'm just hoping somebody from the Suns' coaching staff or one of the veteran players on the team says to Chriss "Hey, you need to be in better shape. Just putting on muscle isn't enough. And cut out all the pointless posturing." mainly because I think he's physically talented enough that he can pretty much be as good as he really wants to make himself. I think ultimately his basketball IQ is going to hold him back, but if he works hard and refines his game he could become very, very good.

Yup. He's barely 20 years old. He's got a lot of maturing to do. Hopefully, he's being talked to and molded by the coaching staff. Sounds like Booker is in his ear so that's good.
"Be Legendary."

O_Gardino

Post by O_Gardino »

ShelC wrote:Don't think this was posted but it's from a few days ago. Talks about Chriss and his offseason thus far:

http://arizonasports.com/story/1168363/ ... son-shape/

A few notable things:
Following Summer League, Chriss plans to spend some time with center Tyson Chandler. There’s an expectation that Chriss will be asked to play center next season, or at least be the ‘5’ when the Suns choose to go small.

“I’ve been talking to Tyson, texting him back-and-forth,” Chriss said. “We were supposed to meet earlier in the summer but then I came back down here and when I came here, he left so I’ve been here just working out with the coaches. Me and him just set it up that we’re going to meet after Summer League when the teams kind of go (their) separate (ways). I’m just going to stay down in L.A. with him for a couple of weeks and workout out and just train.”

The opportunity to pick the brain of a 16-year NBA veteran is something Chriss is looking forward to.

“It means a lot to me, honestly, as a person more than a player,” he said. “Just that he cares that much about me and how I’m going to succeed in the NBA; and he cares about my growth as a person and as a player; and that he’s willing to take the time out of his summer with his family, with his kids inviting me into his home and train me and help me work out just to get better.”

The business of basketball is also expected to be discussed, according to Chriss, who leading up to the draft found himself the subject of trade rumors.

“I can’t control that. It happens,” he said. “While I’m here—and I hope I’m here for a long time. I love being here, I love Phoenix, I love the team—I’m just going to give it my all.”

Chriss turned 20 last Sunday, but he’s still growing into his body. His early summer work is already paying dividends. After weighing in at 230 pounds as a rookie, Chriss is “almost 250. I’m looking to tone my body up more; just get more in shape. I don’t feel out of shape, but I want to get in mid-season shape right now,” he said.
I like that he's planning on working out with Chandler and it shows the importance of having him around a young guy like Chriss. I like that he wants to be in Phoenix and work hard. I think he's maybe bulked up adding strength at the expense of conditioning thus far, which is fine for the summer. Guys tend to lose weight during the season, especially younger ones who have yet to put on and keep that natural weight. If you're looking to add strength and get bigger, you bulk up first and then work off the excess weight It's hard to do both at the same time. So if he played last season at 230, bulks up to 250 and then works off 8-10lbs getting into top shape, he should be OK. He's clearly not in top shape at the moment so it's something to keep an eye as training camp rolls around.
Love it. Chandler had a bit of an attitude coming into the league, too. Hopefully Chriss really matures this offseason.
The league needs heroes, villains... and clowns. -- Aztec Sunsfan

ShelC

Post by ShelC »

Superbone wrote:
ShelC wrote:Jackson's interesting to watch. He's a guy who doesn't stop moving so his reactions are quicker than most, he plays hard all the time but just doesn't show a lot of emotion. No screaming or clapping hands, just goes about his business. I can't think of a player we've had that he compares to.
Not that we've had but similar characteristics to Leonard.
NBADraft.net had the Butler/Leonard comparisons...I see some Jimmy Butler for sure, less Kawhi. I don't think he'll be the scorer those two are but I am enamored with his ability to handle the ball and run plays on his own. I wouldn't run him exclusively as a PG, but in the flow of the game if he grabs the board, brings the ball up and runs PnR or sets up a play, I'm fine with it. That'll lend itself to the "positionless" basketball we talk about and want to get to.