SL Game Day: Rockets (1-1) @ Suns (1-1), Mon 7/10/17

Discussion of the league and of our favorite team.
Sunsfan4life

Re: SL Game Day: Rockets (1-1) @ Suns (1-1), Mon 7/10/17

Post by Sunsfan4life »

Bender Bombing away.

I do like Christian Wood...He had a few bright moments for the sixers in the past.
“Kobe had said (after the play) I wasn’t hugged enough as a child,” Bell recalled. “My mom kind of found him after the instance and we had beat them and offered him a hug in the bowels of the Phoenix arena. She really feels a part of that story.”

EDC

Post by EDC »

bajanguy008 wrote:Say what you want about Euroleague but for me Mike James is clearly playing within himself and just picking his spots. He is one of the best players on the court in each of these first three games
He has played well. Was reading some other boards and some people really disliked him. Claimed he was ball hogging and was the reason why some of our guys weren't playing well. I just don't see that at all. He is solid and will be just fine as a third point guard.

specialsauce

Post by specialsauce »

James is a HUGE ballhog, yes. He's an open gym player's wet dream, what they wish they could be. All 1 on 1, all about him. Just look at the last possession of the first half for a perfect example.

The Bobster

Post by The Bobster »

The Suns won the first half rebounding battle 26-10
Author of The Basketball Draft Fact Book: A History of Professional Basketball's College Drafts
Available from Scarecrow Press at - https://rowman.com/ISBN/9780810890695

carey

Post by carey »

specialsauce wrote:James is a HUGE ballhog, yes. He's an open gym player's wet dream, what they wish they could be. All 1 on 1, all about him. Just look at the last possession of the first half for a perfect example.
He's definitely a shoot first and second guy. Josh Jackson has more assists at 4 than he does.
Go Suns!

Og Snus!

EDC

Post by EDC »

specialsauce wrote:James is a HUGE ballhog, yes. He's an open gym player's wet dream, what they wish they could be. All 1 on 1, all about him. Just look at the last possession of the first half for a perfect example.
I mean someone has to take the shot. We don't really have any go to guys out there and it is impressive the number of times guys have fumbled passes that he has thrown. I think the offense we are running out there just doesn't produce good shots especially not quickly so he takes it on himself to create something with 10 seconds left. Ideally we would give him a pick and let him drive off of that but no our coaches don't believe in the pick and roll. We prefer to half ass pick to make the 3 point line weave a little easier.

3rdside

Post by 3rdside »

specialsauce wrote:
iLLmatic wrote:
ShelC wrote:I'm heading down that path with McD too. We've had some really high draft picks now and it doesn't look like there's a gamechanger/stud among them. We got Booker at 13, who's for sure a stud. But Len (5), Bender (4), Chriss (8) are questionable at the moment, with Len really looking like he's on his way out. You can't go thru this period of losing and miss on top 10 picks, or top 5 for that matter.
Booker was the obvious choice at 13, I think everybody on this board wanted Booker there. Admittedly I liked Len at 5, but I also liked CJ too. I did not like Bender or Chriss, the guys on the radio were having orgasms over that deal like McDonough pulled off some sort of miracle. I felt like it was so-so at the time because both players were unproven. Chriss being so raw and Bender a foreign prospect who was not even a starter on his previous team.

If you remove Booker from his draft history, you have pretty mediocre results; four of these picks were lottery picks::

Tyler Ulis - Backup PG
TJ Warren - Sixth man SF
Alex Len - On his way out
Tyler Ennis - Traded (bench fodder)
Archie Goodwin - Released
Dragan Bender - Still too raw to project (not aggressive enough)
Marquise Chriss - Still too raw to project (too aggressive in the wrong way)
Alec Brown - Who??
Bogdan Bogdanovic - Remains to be seen
I call ass all over this post. I would've loved to see your picks at those points in the draft. Anyone that thinks Warren and Ulis weren't great picks where they were chosen are out of their minds.

I don't see anyone I would have picked AT THE TIME over Chriss, Bender, or Len. Alec Brown was the 50th pick in the draft, give me a freaking break.

Ennis sucked.

You need to put down the haterade and stop fishing for reasons to hate McD. Yes, the Brandon Knight deal was awful. Aside from that incident, he's been just fine.
Roster composition and subsequent player management was the big asterisk against his name and it's not exactly been a stellar summer league, albeit a non-mammoth 2 game sample, to suggest this is a non issue.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

EDC

Post by EDC »

Overall a much better outing so far from our 2nd year guys. Hopefully they can build on it in the 2nd half.

EDC

Post by EDC »

Bender isn't moving his feet all that well on defense. He is swiping at the ball instead of getting to the spot first and forcing a tough shot.

iLLmatic

Post by iLLmatic »

specialsauce wrote:
iLLmatic wrote:
ShelC wrote:I'm heading down that path with McD too. We've had some really high draft picks now and it doesn't look like there's a gamechanger/stud among them. We got Booker at 13, who's for sure a stud. But Len (5), Bender (4), Chriss (8) are questionable at the moment, with Len really looking like he's on his way out. You can't go thru this period of losing and miss on top 10 picks, or top 5 for that matter.
Booker was the obvious choice at 13, I think everybody on this board wanted Booker there. Admittedly I liked Len at 5, but I also liked CJ too. I did not like Bender or Chriss, the guys on the radio were having orgasms over that deal like McDonough pulled off some sort of miracle. I felt like it was so-so at the time because both players were unproven. Chriss being so raw and Bender a foreign prospect who was not even a starter on his previous team.

If you remove Booker from his draft history, you have pretty mediocre results; four of these picks were lottery picks::

Tyler Ulis - Backup PG
TJ Warren - Sixth man SF
Alex Len - On his way out
Tyler Ennis - Traded (bench fodder)
Archie Goodwin - Released
Dragan Bender - Still too raw to project (not aggressive enough)
Marquise Chriss - Still too raw to project (too aggressive in the wrong way)
Alec Brown - Who??
Bogdan Bogdanovic - Remains to be seen
I call ass all over this post. I would've loved to see your picks at those points in the draft. Anyone that thinks Warren and Ulis weren't great picks where they were chosen are out of their minds.

I don't see anyone I would have picked AT THE TIME over Chriss, Bender, or Len. Alec Brown was the 50th pick in the draft, give me a freaking break.

Ennis sucked.

You need to put down the haterade and stop fishing for reasons to hate McD. Yes, the Brandon Knight deal was awful. Aside from that incident, he's been just fine.
Warren was the obvious pick too at 14, just like Booker. Ulis wasn't a bad pick based on where he was picked. I don't care if he picked Chriss or Bender because last year's draft was kind of weak, what made it bad is that he doubled down on a shitty draft. I still don't see the wizardry of McDonough's drafting abilities.
Last edited by iLLmatic on Mon Jul 10, 2017 4:49 pm, edited 1 time in total.

specialsauce

Post by specialsauce »

Bender literally just clapped his hands and yelled at James to give him the ball. James just stood there and dribbled.

specialsauce

Post by specialsauce »

Don't wanna hear that he's not a bulldog.

specialsauce

Post by specialsauce »

Well maybe a bulldog, but definitely also a ballhog

Sunsfan4life

Post by Sunsfan4life »

Bender is too stiff on D on the primiter. I get that he's 7 foot, but he just stands straight up sometimes.
“Kobe had said (after the play) I wasn’t hugged enough as a child,” Bell recalled. “My mom kind of found him after the instance and we had beat them and offered him a hug in the bowels of the Phoenix arena. She really feels a part of that story.”

Sunsfan4life

Post by Sunsfan4life »

Kenny Smith LOVES Troy Williams. Jeeze...

carey

Post by carey »

That was a weird factoid. Luke Kennard is a left handed basketball shooter but a right handed writer and he played QB as a right handed thrower.
Go Suns!

Og Snus!

carey

Post by carey »

Bender hasn't even put up a shot in the 2nd half.
Go Suns!

Og Snus!

TOO

Post by TOO »

carey wrote:That was a weird factoid. Luke Kennard is a left handed basketball shooter but a right handed writer and he played QB as a right handed thrower.
I'm the same way, but the opposite. Yeah, that.
Jones and Vogel gotta go.

carey

Post by carey »

Ah can't go a game without Chriss getting in someone's grill.
Go Suns!

Og Snus!

TOO

Post by TOO »

carey wrote:Ah can't go a game without Chriss getting in someone's grill.
Another day at the office for Pissy Chrissy.
Jones and Vogel gotta go.