2018 NBA Draft Thread

Discussion of the league and of our favorite team.
Cap

Re: 2018 NBA Draft Thread

Post by Cap »

In2ition wrote:
EternalChampion wrote:
Split T wrote:

As a UA fan, I can't help but like the idea of drafting Ayton. He has a solid floor, roughly that of a rich man's Greg Monroe, but I'm unconvinced that he well ever rise much above that floor.
I think he will definitely rise above that floor. Monroe can barely move, and Ayton is an extreme athlete.
We haven't had a physical specimen like Ayton since Shaq. But Ayton can hit free throws. And threes.

Split T

Post by Split T »

EternalChampion wrote:
Split T wrote:Trae having another really bad shooting game. I have a hard time seeing him go top 5. Orlando is the only team I think that would take him that high. Maybe Cleveland.
IMO every team that passes on Trae will regret it. He's a slightly built freshman, carrying almost the entire offensive load for a major conference team and he's averaging 35 minutes a game. Players often hit the freshman wall logging a lot fewer minutes and carrying far less responsibility. He's got jello legs now and his shot is gone but his game is made for the NBA. Injuries notwithstanding (and that's a significant caveat given his build), I think he is THE game changer from this class.

As a UA fan, I can't help but like the idea of drafting Ayton. He has a solid floor, roughly that of a rich man's Greg Monroe, but I'm unconvinced that he well ever rise much above that floor.
Maybe, I'm just not convinced it'll work on the NBA level b and I don't like pairing a bad defensive player in the back court with Booker. I think adding a big man that is the same talent level as Trae will do a lot more for this team than adding Trae.

Superbone

Post by Superbone »

In2ition wrote:
EternalChampion wrote:
Split T wrote:

I think he will definitely rise above that floor. Monroe can barely move, and Ayton is an extreme athlete.
Plus, Ayton is only 30 years old. Wait...
"Be Legendary."

EternalChampion

Post by EternalChampion »

Split T wrote:
EternalChampion wrote:
Split T wrote:Trae having another really bad shooting game. I have a hard time seeing him go top 5. Orlando is the only team I think that would take him that high. Maybe Cleveland.
IMO every team that passes on Trae will regret it. He's a slightly built freshman, carrying almost the entire offensive load for a major conference team and he's averaging 35 minutes a game. Players often hit the freshman wall logging a lot fewer minutes and carrying far less responsibility. He's got jello legs now and his shot is gone but his game is made for the NBA. Injuries notwithstanding (and that's a significant caveat given his build), I think he is THE game changer from this class.

Maybe, I'm just not convinced it'll work on the NBA level b and I don't like pairing a bad defensive player in the back court with Booker. I think adding a big man that is the same talent level as Trae will do a lot more for this team than adding Trae.
Yeah, I worry about the defensive issues that will arise from pairing Booker with Young. If Ayton were a lockdown defender it would be no contest. But I think DA tends to play too upright and while he has a great body, his narrow waist suggests he might struggle down low at the next level. I love the fact he's aware of the double team and usually makes the right pass when it happens but I worry he'll have trouble holding his position at both ends of the court. He won't be as movable as Channing Frye but I do think it will keep him from becoming that "generational" big man that he's often touted to be.

Early in the season I had hope that we could draft Young and JJJ by combining our Miami and Milwaukee picks but Jackson has clearly played himself out of range for that so I now I'm on the Young and Brandon McCoy bandwagon. If our first ends up being Ayton, that's far from a bad thing. I just think Trae's ceiling is Nash+.

1tinsoldier

Post by 1tinsoldier »

EternalChampion wrote: IMO every team that passes on Trae will regret it... I think he is THE game changer from this class.
i agree
(though i don't think any team that takes Ayton will regret it)

Mori Chu

Post by Mori Chu »

The unfortunate thing is, like many of the NBA's worst teams, we really need 2-3 of these young draftees to become good. Somehow getting both Ayton and Trae/Doncic, say, would be a huge step for us. But of course that isn't how the draft and lottery work.

It *could* have worked that way, though, if we had kept that Lakers pick. *COUGH COUGH*

Split T

Post by Split T »

Lakers pick will be 10th at best, not saying that makes the trade ok, but makes it a little less of a disaster.

As for Ayton, I'm not convinced he's a defensive game changer either. He could grow into one, but JJJ and Bamba are quite a bit ahead of him defensively right now. Especially JJJ.

EternalChampion

In2ition wrote:
EternalChampion wrote:
Split T wrote:

I think "can barely move" is a bit much. Greg has great feet (and incredible hands) and is very mobile within the box. While he displays very little lateral quickness and runs the court at a snail's pace, to an extent that appears to be by choice. Regardless, I wasn't suggesting they were equals. To be clear, I don't see Ayton being any worse than a rich man's Monroe but perhaps a slightly lesser Karl Anthony Towns would describe his floor better. I'm just always in search of a comparison that avoids the popular David Robinson label as I don't think he's all that close to the fluid athlete that Robinson was.

In2ition

Post by In2ition »

EternalChampion wrote:
In2ition wrote:
EternalChampion wrote:
Split T wrote:

I think "can barely move" is a bit much. Greg has great feet (and incredible hands) and is very mobile within the box. While he displays very little lateral quickness and runs the court at a snail's pace, to an extent that appears to be by choice. Regardless, I wasn't suggesting they were equals. To be clear, I don't see Ayton being any worse than a rich man's Monroe but perhaps a slightly lesser Karl Anthony Towns would describe his floor better. I'm just always in search of a comparison that avoids the popular David Robinson label as I don't think he's all that close to the fluid athlete that Robinson was.
I agree with that last part. Maybe a more athletic Patrick Ewing?
"When we all think alike, nobody is thinking" - Walter Lippmann
"Find out just what any people will quietly submit to and you have the exact measure of the injustice and wrong which will be imposed on them." ~ Frederick Douglass

Superbone

Post by Superbone »

Split T wrote:Lakers pick will be 10th at best, not saying that makes the trade ok, but makes it a little less of a disaster.
That's what I was trying to say for a long time. Right, still a huge mistake but at least it's not top 5.
"Be Legendary."

JustWinBaby

Post by JustWinBaby »

Superbone wrote:
In2ition wrote:
EternalChampion wrote:
Split T wrote:

Plus, Ayton is only 30 years old. Wait...
Bone with the goods. How old are the saying he is?

I want to see that birth certificate.
I wanted Monty as our coach since D'Antoni left town. Nice choice James Jones.

JustWinBaby

Post by JustWinBaby »

Marty [Mori Chu] wrote:The unfortunate thing is, like many of the NBA's worst teams, we really need 2-3 of these young draftees to become good. Somehow getting both Ayton and Trae/Doncic, say, would be a huge step for us. But of course that isn't how the draft and lottery work.

It *could* have worked that way, though, if we had kept that Lakers pick. *COUGH COUGH*
Exactly

That is why I am not convinced on McDonough. We need so much help it is hard to get real excited no matter whom we draft. Currently we have holes to fill at the 1,4 & 5. Of course if Payton, Bender and Chriss emerge McDonough could be a genius.

I understand that Bender and Chriss are very young but so was/is Booker. Both Booker and Jackson have shown the agression I am looking for. Bender and Chriss are far too soft and passive for my taste. If they emerge next season I will change my tune. Our Point guard has been a disaster. Payton is a welcome sight but who will be our PG next year.

EternalChampion

JustWinBaby wrote:
Marty [Mori Chu] wrote:The unfortunate thing is, like many of the NBA's worst teams, we really need 2-3 of these young draftees to become good. Somehow getting both Ayton and Trae/Doncic, say, would be a huge step for us. But of course that isn't how the draft and lottery work.

Exactly

That is why I am not convinced on McDonough. We need so much help it is hard to get real excited no matter whom we draft. Currently we have holes to fill at the 1,4 & 5. Of course if Payton, Bender and Chriss emerge McDonough could be a genius.

I understand that Bender and Chriss are very young but so was/is Booker. Both Booker and Jackson have shown the agression I am looking for. Bender and Chriss are far too soft and passive for my taste. If they emerge next season I will change my tune. Our Point guard has been a disaster. Payton is a welcome sight but who will be our PG next year.
Trading for Knight and then not only drafting Chriss but paying a premium for the chance to do so are blunders that are difficult to overlook. Throw in the childish way he responded to the cheap-shots from Goran and I can certainly understand anyone doubting him. That said, I'm still in favor of letting him hang around awhile. But a quick hit in this year's draft is likely a make or break moment for him.

JCSunsfan

Post by JCSunsfan »

Split T wrote:[youtube][/youtube]

This is the most he's shown offensively. Scoring in the post, driving, passing and of course hitting the 3 ball. His defense is the real reason I want him.
And the debate will be which of these two. JJJ has a very immature body. He is big. He has a very good wing span. He still looks like he has baby fat. He has the frame to turn a lot of fat to muscle. Bamba is longer. That 7-9 wingspan is unheard of. But he is thin. Those twig legs are not going to get that much bigger. This one is tough. Bamba is a better rebounder though. JJJ should be. He just doesn't seem to be interested in rebounding as much.

[youtube][/youtube]

INFORMER

Post by INFORMER »

In2ition wrote:
INFORMER wrote:
In2ition wrote:After watching Ayton closely last night, I would take him #1.
Don't overlook the fact that he was being guarded by guys 6'5 to 6'7 all night long.
I realize ASU isn't the biggest or longest team. I really like Ayton's length, skill, size, and athleticism, and feel he's going to be an outstanding pro.
I hear you, and I don't necessarily disagree. I just wouldn't get too excited over the ASU game.
Trendon Watford. Please and thank you.

INFORMER

Post by INFORMER »

Zero interest in Trae Young.

INFORMER

Post by INFORMER »

In2ition wrote:Have you guys seen anything about Ajdin Pevana playing for Marshall? Check him out and let me know what you think.
I like what I see. I'm not sure he will come out early though, so he may need to be in the conversation for next year's draft.

JustWinBaby

Post by JustWinBaby »

INFORMER wrote:Zero interest in Trae Young.
I tend to agree with you. Something is just wrong with him.

What are your thoughts on Doncic?

While we have not had a chance to see him, it appears that he brings a lot of things that are needed in today's NBA. Unfortunately we have so many holes to fill he seems to not be a good fit at this point. It is a shame that we are not in position to take the best player available. JJJ has my interest before Ayton.

It would have been nice if we had drafted Marakenan last year, I really liked him. I did not understand why he did not go higher. Then our options would be greater and we could take Doncic this year.

If somehow we do get the first pick I do not think the choice is as clear as it appears. Unfortunatley I think we are going to win some games in these final 23 that will move us down the board.

specialsauce

Post by specialsauce »

I don’t see why we aren’t in the position to take the BPA? The only positions I’d avoid are SG and SF with Booker and Jackson there. Nobody else is worth passing up a draft pick over.

Cap

Post by Cap »

INFORMER wrote:Zero interest in Trae Young.
Please explain.