2018 NBA Draft Thread

Discussion of the league and of our favorite team.
Atreides

Re: 2018 NBA Draft Thread

Post by Atreides »

In2ition wrote:Is it too much to ask that the Suns just pick the ultimately 2 best players from this draft that stay with Suns their whole careers, go to the HOF with Booker and Jackson and win no less than 8 championships together and are great high character community guys?
I think it's a reasonable request :D
"The falling leaf does hate the wind"

In2ition

Post by In2ition »

Atreides wrote:
In2ition wrote:Is it too much to ask that the Suns just pick the ultimately 2 best players from this draft that stay with Suns their whole careers, go to the HOF with Booker and Jackson and win no less than 8 championships together and are great high character community guys?
Haha, I was wondering if it was over the top. I have highish expectations and standards. ;)
"When we all think alike, nobody is thinking" - Walter Lippmann
"Find out just what any people will quietly submit to and you have the exact measure of the injustice and wrong which will be imposed on them." ~ Frederick Douglass

Atreides

Post by Atreides »

In2ition wrote:
Atreides wrote:
Haha, I was wondering if it was over the top. I have highish expectations and standards. ;)
Hehe

But seriously, I'm of the opinion that we deserve some luck for all these years of sucking, so... two guys who will go to HOF from this draft is ok for me, and really i'm no optimist.

So Doncic and?
"The falling leaf does hate the wind"

specialsauce

Post by specialsauce »

Shabazz wrote:My current draft board:

Doncic
Ayton
Bagley
[Disappointment]
JJJ/Young/Porter/Carter/Bamba (in some order that I'd prefer not to be forced to think about)
Amen brother

specialsauce

Post by specialsauce »

ShelC wrote:I certainly wouldn't not sign him because of them. We'd just to move one, probably Chriss.
Oh okay, sorry misunderstood. I agree with that

O_Gardino

Post by O_Gardino »

That is exactly what I'm asking for. :)
The league needs heroes, villains... and clowns. -- Aztec Sunsfan

Cap

Post by Cap »

specialsauce wrote:

Doncic
Ayton
Bagley
[Disappointment]
JJJ/Young/Porter/Carter/Bamba (in some order that I'd prefer not to be forced to think about)
Amen brother
I’m there too. I think most of us are, more or less.

TOO

Post by TOO »

Keep sleeping on Bamba fellas. Its ok. :D
Jones and Vogel gotta go.

Shabazz

Post by Shabazz »

Cap wrote:
specialsauce wrote:

Doncic
Ayton
Bagley
[Disappointment]
Amen brother
I actually think there's a decent shot that at least a few of the guys in my later tier end up better than Bagley and even Ayton, but they all scare/underwhelm me for different reasons.

In2ition

Post by In2ition »

Shabazz wrote:
Cap wrote:
specialsauce wrote:

Doncic
Ayton
Bagley
[Disappointment]
Amen brother
I actually think there's a decent shot that at least a few of the guys in my later tier end up better than Bagley and even Ayton, but they all scare/underwhelm me for different reasons.
It's possible, but I wouldn't put money against Bagley. That kid has a motor, skill, work ethic, will, character, and smarts to be great.
"When we all think alike, nobody is thinking" - Walter Lippmann
"Find out just what any people will quietly submit to and you have the exact measure of the injustice and wrong which will be imposed on them." ~ Frederick Douglass

Split T

Post by Split T »

Shabazz wrote:
Cap wrote:
specialsauce wrote:

Doncic
Ayton
Bagley
[Disappointment]
Amen brother
That's kinda how I feel. There's a guy who does podcasts on the ringer network, Chris Vernon, who has some interesting opinions about this. Normally I don't agree with him, and I only sorta agree with him here, but his feeling on the draft is that you should pick the guy you know isn't going to suck. He loves Bagley because there is no chance Bagley sucks.

We absolutely need to get a good player in this draft and I'm confident that if we draft Bagley, he'll be good. Bamba might end up better, but I'm not convinced Bamba won't suck. Same with JJJ.

Ayton, Bagley, Carter, Bridges. Those are the 4 guys I'm pretty confident will be at least good NBA players. Bagley and Ayton have the higher upside as stars of that group so those are my top guys.

Doncic is interesting and I'm not sure what to expect from him. I'm pretty confident he's an incredibly smart basketball player and highly skilled, I'm just worried about him athletically. He'll play along time in the league, but his ceiling might be capped due to his athletic ability.

TOO

Post by TOO »

Steve Nash was limited athletically.. just saying...
Jones and Vogel gotta go.

Shabazz

Post by Shabazz »

Steph Curry's not an otherworldly athlete. Neither is James Harden. Doncic has a unique combination of size and skill that makes up for his athleticism. He's 6-9, can play point and displays Lonzo/Simmons-level vision. I think he'll be a very good shooter as well. If he was an elite athlete too he'd be LeBron.

Shabazz

Post by Shabazz »

In2ition wrote:
Shabazz wrote:
Cap wrote:
specialsauce wrote:

Doncic
Ayton
Bagley
[Disappointment]
Amen brother
It's possible, but I wouldn't put money against Bagley. That kid has a motor, skill, work ethic, will, character, and smarts to be great.
That defense, though. Yuck. 1 total steal and no blocks in 4 tourney games is almost hard to do at his size and activity level.

Split T

Post by Split T »

I didn't mean that as an anti Doncic post, I've had him top 3 on my board all year, I'm just saying it's harder to project him into the NBA game. I'd be less surprised if he struggled than if Bagley or Ayton did, that's all I'm saying.

INFORMER

Post by INFORMER »

Shabazz wrote:Steph Curry's not an otherworldly athlete. Neither is James Harden. Doncic has a unique combination of size and skill that makes up for his athleticism. He's 6-9, can play point and displays Lonzo/Simmons-level vision. I think he'll be a very good shooter as well. If he was an elite athlete too he'd be LeBron.
6-9?
Trendon Watford. Please and thank you.

Split T

Post by Split T »

Ya, I think he's 6-7

Shabazz

Post by Shabazz »

Sorry. I got carried away.

Shabazz

Post by Shabazz »

(But I've read he's 6' 8)

Superbone

Post by Superbone »

TheOriginalOriginal wrote:Steve Nash was limited athletically.. just saying...
Larry Bird either. Just saying.
"Be Legendary."