2018 NBA Draft Thread

Discussion of the league and of our favorite team.
Superbone

Re: 2018 NBA Draft Thread

Post by Superbone »

https://twitter.com/DraftExpress/status/933859971799818240

Givony disagrees with you Fowl.
"Be Legendary."

TOO

Post by TOO »

Superbone wrote:

https://twitter.com/DraftExpress/status/933859971799818240

Givony disagrees with you Fowl.
He's my #1 personally. I think his defensive ability will change the fortune of a team.
👀 Fire Frank Vogel.

Flagrant Fowl

Post by Flagrant Fowl »

I dunno. I didn't watch the whole game, but he looked lost on defense a lot, especially when Butler ran off-ball screens with their big men.

He also doesn't have much of an offensive skill set right now. His footwork is fine for his age and size, but he relied on trying to back his man down without much of a plan on what to do after he got into a good position. I'll be interested to see if he shows any face up skills sometime this season.

He's definitely a high lottery pick. I still have Ayton ahead of him, and it's really not that close between the two.
Send me a PM if you're interested in joining the phx-suns.net fantasy basketball league.

Aztec Sunsfan

Post by Aztec Sunsfan »

Beware of players that looks impressive because of his physical advantage. Like a man among boys, they can shut down the paint defensively and get away on offense by pure raw size and athleticism. Then you look at them lost at rotations and bumped around, once the speed and size of the competition it is up to par or above them. Noel is the current poster boy for this.

Split T

Post by Split T »

Ayton is much more physically imposing and athletic than Noel. He's Drummond at the very least..

O_Gardino

Post by O_Gardino »

The league needs heroes, villains... and clowns. -- Aztec Sunsfan

virtual9mm

Post by virtual9mm »

Wow. If these guys are any good (and so far, they look impressive to my untrained eye), this might not be a bad draft in which to potentially have 3 lotto picks. And it might not be the worst thing in the world to pick #7.

Ring_Wanted

Post by Ring_Wanted »

Great stuff, OG. Thanks.

JCSunsfan

Post by JCSunsfan »

Split T wrote:Ayton is much more physically imposing and athletic than Noel. He's Drummond at the very least..
Ayton is physically dominating at any level he might play. If he decides to play, no one is going to stop him, not even in the NBA. He has a Dwight Howard type body.

TOO

Post by TOO »

JCSunsfan wrote:
Split T wrote:Ayton is much more physically imposing and athletic than Noel. He's Drummond at the very least..
Ayton is physically dominating at any level he might play. If he decides to play, no one is going to stop him, not even in the NBA. He has a Dwight Howard type body.
He's also got Andrew Bynum effort disease.
👀 Fire Frank Vogel.

In2ition

Post by In2ition »

TheOriginalOriginal wrote:
JCSunsfan wrote:
He's also got Andrew Bynum effort disease.
I'm afraid that his motor isn't ideal. I like the idea of Ayton with all his measureables, but that effort really makes me pause. That's also why I like Bagley, his effort and motor is relentless. He's the 6'11" version of Josh Jackson and Shawn Marion. That second jump is ridiculous, and there is reportedly no one that works harder or wants to improve more.
"When we all think alike, nobody is thinking" - Walter Lippmann
"Find out just what any people will quietly submit to and you have the exact measure of the injustice and wrong which will be imposed on them." ~ Frederick Douglass

Superbone

Post by Superbone »

I take the guy with the high motor every time.
"Be Legendary."

Split T

Post by Split T »

Ya, I'm all in on Bagley. Doncic too. Ayton is intriguing because he's perfect in theory for us, but has some concerning traits.

JCSunsfan

Post by JCSunsfan »

I am not sure I would read too much into "motor" with Ayton right now. The kid is averaging 20 pts, 12 boards, 1.5 blocks, on 70% shooting. He is doing SOMETHING out there on the floor. He has an orating of 133 and a drating of 98.

The knock on Jason Tatum was "motor." Just something to keep in mind.

O_Gardino

Post by O_Gardino »

This article shows some film on how Ayton is a pretty good perimeter defender, but doesn't contest as much as you would want under the basket. It's got a ton of short clips. Worth watching, I think.

https://www.thestepien.com/2017/11/24/f ... -nc-state/

Split T

Post by Split T »

I'm not worried too much about Aytons motor, it's what OG mentioned, he plays a little to much like a perimeter big. I'm glad he has the perimeter skills, but he's a dunker/face up shooter on offense right now and hasn't been a great rim protector/defensive anchor so far. I still have him very high on my list though as he's going to be productive because he is so big and athletic. If he figures out the rim defense, he'll be a star.

DrSublime

Post by DrSublime »

thoughts on these as potential peak level comps?

M Bagley = T.Duncan
D Ayton = D.Robinson
M Bamba = Mutombo
L Doncic = Ginobili
M Porter = Carmelo

That said, I'm all in on Bagley
~~~~~

O_Gardino

Post by O_Gardino »

You really hate Porter, eh?

specialsauce

Post by specialsauce »

I would really love Bagley Ayton or Doncic

PASS on a rookie who already needed back surgery. That is way more concerning than something like an ACL. He is almost surely going to have issues down the road.

JCSunsfan

Post by JCSunsfan »

specialsauce wrote:I would really love Bagley Ayton or Doncic

PASS on a rookie who already needed back surgery. That is way more concerning than something like an ACL. He is almost surely going to have issues down the road.
Yeah. I think I am in the same place.

Unless we are picking 9th or something.