2018 NBA Draft Thread

Discussion of the league and of our favorite team.
JCSunsfan

Re: 2018 NBA Draft Thread

Post by JCSunsfan »

Right now, for the Suns my board would be.

1. Doncic
2. Ayton
3. Bamba
4. Bagley
5. Sexton
6. Jackson
7. Porter (reluctantly and depending on med evaluation)
8. Carter
9. Miles Bridges

The high likelihood is that we will be picking 1-7.

Split T

Post by Split T »

I think I go

1. Doncic
2. Bagley
3. Ayton
4. Sexton
5. Williams
6. Carter
7. Alexander-Walker
8. Jackson
9. Bamba
10. Bridges

Lots can still change and some guys, Bamba in particular, could move up quite a bit.

O_Gardino

Post by O_Gardino »

You guys are crazy.

1. Ayton
2. Bagley
3. Carter
4. Doncic
5. Evans
6. Fernando
7. Graham
8. Hachimura
9. I really didn't expect this joke to break down so soon
10. Jackson
11. Knox
12. LMAO why am I still doing this
13. Metu
14. Nope
15. Out
The league needs heroes, villains... and clowns. -- Aztec Sunsfan

Split T

Post by Split T »

Thoughts on Trae Young?

He's putting up 29/9 on .49/.42/.89 shooting splits right now. He's little, but has deep, deep range. Flashy passer, gets a little careless with the ball. His teammates don't always seem to know if he's gonna pass or shoot. He probably won't be a good defensive player and I worry about him getting his shot off against NBA defenders, but he definitely has a little Curry in his game.

TOO

Post by TOO »

Split T wrote:Thoughts on Trae Young?

He's putting up 29/9 on .49/.42/.89 shooting splits right now. He's little, but has deep, deep range. Flashy passer, gets a little careless with the ball. His teammates don't always seem to know if he's gonna pass or shoot. He probably won't be a good defensive player and I worry about him getting his shot off against NBA defenders, but he definitely has a little Curry in his game.
He's been playing out of is mind. Need to see more, Sexton is still the top PG for me atm, his physical tools are immense.
Jones and Vogel gotta go.

JCSunsfan

Post by JCSunsfan »

Actually, you said it. His thing is his herky jerky style that allows him to get shots off. I think, with a little better athletes and defense in the NBA, he will get shut down offensively. He is small and not very athletic. He will be a defensive liability. Classic college achiever whose game will not translate. But I will continue to watch. Maybe he will show me more.

Split T

Post by Split T »

Video of Trae yesterday.
[youtube][/youtube]
Last edited by Split T on Fri Dec 01, 2017 2:25 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Split T

Post by Split T »

TheOriginalOriginal wrote:

He's been playing out of is mind. Need to see more, Sexton is still the top PG for me atm, his physical tools are immense.

Ya, sexton is definitely top for me too. Just think Trae is someone to keep an eye on.

Split T

Post by Split T »

JCSunsfan wrote:

Actually, you said it. His thing is his herky jerky style that allows him to get shots off. I think, with a little better athletes and defense in the NBA, he will get shut down offensively. He is small and not very athletic. He will be a defensive liability. Classic college achiever whose game will not translate. But I will continue to watch. Maybe he will show me more.

Very well could be the case. Is he curry? or is he Jimmer? Time will tell.

He looks quicker and more of a pg than jimmer ever was.

O_Gardino

Post by O_Gardino »

Split T wrote:Video of Trae yesterday.
[youtube][/youtube]
I just watched that video and came to post it.

I think you and JC ahve broken it down pretty well. He's shooting great with NBA range, but his mechanics aren't pure, he's not super athletic, and his shot selection isn't the best. On the plus side, he does make some very good passes. Maybe coaching can fix the shot and shot selection, and encourage the passing. He does seem to see the floor well on both ends of the court.

He looks much smaller than the measurements. Like, Ulis small.
He looks like a 45yr old meth addict using Rogaine to keep his hair.
Last edited by O_Gardino on Fri Dec 01, 2017 8:57 pm, edited 1 time in total.

JCSunsfan

Post by JCSunsfan »

O_Gardino wrote:
[youtube][/youtube]

I think you and JC ahve broken it down pretty well. He's shooting great with NBA range, but his mechanics aren't pure, he's not super athletic, and his shot selection isn't the best. On the plus side, he does make some very good passes. Maybe coaching can fix the shot and shot selection, and encourage the passing. He does seem to see the floor well on both ends of the court.

He looks like a 45yr old meth addict using regain to keep his hair.
:lol:

Yeah. I don't see much of a problem with his stroke. His form is good and the release is quick. His shot selection is a real problem though. Brandon Knight bad. He walks the ball up a lot. And of course, he looks really small--under 6' small.

Split T

Post by Split T »

The shots might not seem like great shots, but he's hitting 42% from 3. Hard to call them bad shots if he makes them. Time will tell if he keeps making them, especially in the nba. And he measured 6'1.5 with shoes in 2015. So not under 6'0, but still very small.

O_Gardino

Post by O_Gardino »

JCSunsfan wrote:
O_Gardino wrote:
[youtube][/youtube]

Yeah. I don't see much of a problem with his stroke. His form is good and the release is quick. His shot selection is a real problem though. Brandon Knight bad. He walks the ball up a lot. And of course, he looks really small--under 6' small.
My issues with his stroke - and I acknowledge that it's not awful - are that he shoots it forward and low a bit (just above his eyes instead of just over his forehead), causing it to be flat and look blockable, and that he doesn't jump much on it. His feet barely leave the ground, like Bledose. As Split reminds us, the ball goes in, so maybe its a complete non-issue. But I'm not sure he can shoot under pressure in the NBA without making some adjustments. I do think they are minor adjustments.

Split T

Post by Split T »

Ya, his shot is pretty flat, especially for a 6'0 PG.

JCSunsfan

Post by JCSunsfan »

O_Gardino wrote:
JCSunsfan wrote:
O_Gardino wrote:
[youtube][/youtube]

My issues with his stroke - and I acknowledge that it's not awful - are that he shoots it forward and low a bit (just above his eyes instead of just over his forehead), causing it to be flat and look blockable, and that he doesn't jump much on it. His feet barely leave the ground, like Bledose. As Split reminds us, the ball goes in, so maybe its a complete non-issue. But I'm not sure he can shoot under pressure in the NBA without making some adjustments. I do think they are minor adjustments.
I am not so worried about his release point. Sometimes smaller guys are EASIER to block with a release point over the forehead because it takes just a little more time for that motion and the ball is right in front of the bigger players. This is especially true when there is no lift on the jumpshot (like Bledsoe). The key to his shot is getting it off quick. He does have a quick release, but I am not sure he has the footspeed to create enough separation in the nba.

In2ition

Post by In2ition »

He's pretty quick and fast. Doesn't seem like a big issue.
"When we all think alike, nobody is thinking" - Walter Lippmann
"Find out just what any people will quietly submit to and you have the exact measure of the injustice and wrong which will be imposed on them." ~ Frederick Douglass

JCSunsfan

Post by JCSunsfan »

Bamba. Wow. That wingspan.

Ring_Wanted

Post by Ring_Wanted »

Saer Sene had a 7'8 1/2 wingspan. Just saying (and not knocking on those who like/want him).

JCSunsfan

Post by JCSunsfan »

Ring_Wanted wrote:Saer Sene had a 7'8 1/2 wingspan. Just saying (and not knocking on those who like/want him).
Yeah. The wingspan is a factor, but not everything. Still, its an amazing thing to see.

bajanguy008

Post by bajanguy008 »

still not watching as much games as I should be to see these guys consistently but just saw this article. some top pick and Arizona stuff, your thoughts ?

http://www.espn.com/mens-college-basket ... est-season
SUNS Fan from the Land of Sun, Sea and Sand ;)