2018 NBA Draft Thread

Discussion of the league and of our favorite team.
Split T

Re: 2018 NBA Draft Thread

Post by Split T »

n4th4n wrote:How is everyone feeling about Sexton's performance over the last few weeks? Defensively, he is a bulldog. He puts TONS of pressure on a defense. And his shooting seems to be... okay? Say he goes in the 7-10 range, what would it take to trade up and get him? Would we be willing to do TJ + 15 to move into that range? Do we think he could be our PG of the future? From what everyone is saying, he seems like total culture changer from a competitiveness and hunger to win standpoint.

On the downside, he did finish the SEC Tournament with 12 turnovers to only 9 assists. Which is, uhhh... bad.
I like Shai Gilgeous-Alexander better. I think I'd also rather just wait and take the pg that falls to us. I like Aaron Holiday and Shake Milton too and they should both be there at 15/16.

n4th4n

Post by n4th4n »

Split T wrote:
n4th4n wrote:How is everyone feeling about Sexton's performance over the last few weeks? Defensively, he is a bulldog. He puts TONS of pressure on a defense. And his shooting seems to be... okay? Say he goes in the 7-10 range, what would it take to trade up and get him? Would we be willing to do TJ + 15 to move into that range? Do we think he could be our PG of the future? From what everyone is saying, he seems like total culture changer from a competitiveness and hunger to win standpoint.

On the downside, he did finish the SEC Tournament with 12 turnovers to only 9 assists. Which is, uhhh... bad.
I like Shai Gilgeous-Alexander better. I think I'd also rather just wait and take the pg that falls to us. I like Aaron Holiday and Shake Milton too and they should both be there at 15/16.
SGA certainly seems like a more seamless fit next to Booker. We still need to get Booker someone who can help create offense though, and I am not sure SGA is going to be that guy. Would we feel confident that we had enough offensive creation with Booker/Jackson/Ayton as our primary threats? Or Booker/Jackson/Doncic?

Split T

Post by Split T »

I think that's a fair concern with SGA, he's not super explosive and might be more of a secondary ball handler. If we land Doncic, we'd be fine with a Booker/Jackson/Doncic combo. Although I'd look to add another big in that scenario rather than a PG. If Carter falls, I'd move up for him. Or draft jontay Porter.

Actually, if we came away with Doncic, Porter, and Holiday with our 3 picks, I'd be pretty thrilled.

Flagrant Fowl

Post by Flagrant Fowl »

I haven't watched much college hoops this season because my school didn't play well from early on, and I already get enough bad basketball in my life from the Suns.

I still managed to see a little bit of Ayton, and while I think he's good enough for a top 3 selection, the Amar'e comparisons aren't accurate. Ayton is more fundamentally sound than Amar'e was at the same age, but he's no where near the explosive athlete Amar'e was. Maybe that'll be a good thing for Ayton as I believe Amar'e's over reliance on out jumping defneders early in his career contributed to the rapid decline in his health later down the road.

I think Ayton is more like David Robinson or Dwight Howard than anyone else we've seen in recent years. The NBA has been trending away from those type of players being able to carry a team lately, so I'm not sure that he's a homerun of a pick even if he has a healthy, all-star level career. I don't think he's in the same "unicorn" category with guys like AD, Embiid, KP, or even Cousins either. So if we somehow mangage to land the top pick (I have my doubts), are we sure we should take the guys who's likely to only be really good over a trancendent player (Doncic)?
Send me a PM if you're interested in joining the phx-suns.net fantasy basketball league.

n4th4n

Post by n4th4n »

Split T wrote:I think that's a fair concern with SGA, he's not super explosive and might be more of a secondary ball handler. If we land Doncic, we'd be fine with a Booker/Jackson/Doncic combo. Although I'd look to add another big in that scenario rather than a PG. If Carter falls, I'd move up for him. Or draft jontay Porter.

Actually, if we came away with Doncic, Porter, and Holiday with our 3 picks, I'd be pretty thrilled.
That would be a phenomenal haul.

Shabazz

Post by Shabazz »

I wouldn't necessarily look to address both our Starting Center and PG vacancies through the draft. Whatever position we address with our higher pick, we should address the other one via trade or free agency.

O_Gardino

Post by O_Gardino »

The way I see it, we need to upgrade somewhere from 8-10 positions on our team. So I'm not worried about what position our picks play. It's more about making the right roster moves over the whole summer.
The league needs heroes, villains... and clowns. -- Aztec Sunsfan

n4th4n

Post by n4th4n »

Flagrant Fowl wrote:I haven't watched much college hoops this season because my school didn't play well from early on, and I already get enough bad basketball in my life from the Suns.

I still managed to see a little bit of Ayton, and while I think he's good enough for a top 3 selection, the Amar'e comparisons aren't accurate. Ayton is more fundamentally sound than Amar'e was at the same age, but he's no where near the explosive athlete Amar'e was. Maybe that'll be a good thing for Ayton as I believe Amar'e's over reliance on out jumping defneders early in his career contributed to the rapid decline in his health later down the road.

I think Ayton is more like David Robinson or Dwight Howard than anyone else we've seen in recent years. The NBA has been trending away from those type of players being able to carry a team lately, so I'm not sure that he's a homerun of a pick even if he has a healthy, all-star level career. I don't think he's in the same "unicorn" category with guys like AD, Embiid, KP, or even Cousins either. So if we somehow mangage to land the top pick (I have my doubts), are we sure we should take the guys who's likely to only be really good over a trancendent player (Doncic)?
I have to disagree pretty heavily here. Ayton is highly skilled. He is a better shooter as a freshman in college than AD, Embiid, or Cousins were at the same point. He is also heady passer who is capable of making quick reads on the roll or when double and hitting a shooter accurately with a pass right in their shooting pocket. And about explosiveness... he has a vertical of over 36 inches.

Gladiator

Post by Gladiator »

The Spurs are currently 10th in the west. I'm assuming if it stays that way, they will somehow win the lottery and pick first.

Split T

Post by Split T »

Gladiator wrote:The Spurs are currently 10th in the west. I'm assuming if it stays that way, they will somehow win the lottery and pick first.
Crap! I'm gonna have nightmares about them winning the lottery for the next couple months now

In2ition

Post by In2ition »

Gladiator wrote:The Spurs are currently 10th in the west. I'm assuming if it stays that way, they will somehow win the lottery and pick first.
Dear Lord...bite your tongue.
"When we all think alike, nobody is thinking" - Walter Lippmann
"Find out just what any people will quietly submit to and you have the exact measure of the injustice and wrong which will be imposed on them." ~ Frederick Douglass

Gladiator

Post by Gladiator »

In2ition wrote:
Expect the worst, hope for the best.

Superbone

Post by Superbone »

Gladiator wrote:
In2ition wrote:
Expect the worst, hope for the best.
Not happening. NOT HAPPENING!!!
"Be Legendary."

specialsauce

Post by specialsauce »

I have absolutely no interest in him. Completely over PGs that have no passing ability

Indy

Post by Indy »

Split T wrote:
Crap! I'm gonna have nightmares about them winning the lottery for the next couple months now
The worst nightmares are those that could happen.

O_Gardino

Post by O_Gardino »

Carter vs Bagley and the how bigs in this draft will pan out in the NBA.

[youtube][/youtube]

They don't talk specifically about the Suns a whole lot, but they do say we will get 3 really good players and they hope we will grab Gafford.
The league needs heroes, villains... and clowns. -- Aztec Sunsfan

Flagrant Fowl

Post by Flagrant Fowl »

I'll be surprised if we bring in three rookies without dumping Bender/Chriss and Ulis.
Send me a PM if you're interested in joining the phx-suns.net fantasy basketball league.

Split T

Post by Split T »

Flagrant Fowl wrote:I'll be surprised if we bring in three rookies without dumping Bender/Chriss and Ulis.
I'd be surprised if all 3 are back. Wouldn't be surprised if 2 are gone. Ulis/Chriss/Bender in likelihood they are gone.

Mori Chu

Post by Mori Chu »

Split T wrote:
Flagrant Fowl wrote:I'll be surprised if we bring in three rookies without dumping Bender/Chriss and Ulis.
I'd be surprised if all 3 are back. Wouldn't be surprised if 2 are gone. Ulis/Chriss/Bender in likelihood they are gone.
I'd be really shocked if all 3 of those guys are gone. They aren't just going to throw their entire roster in the dumpster, including two top-10 first round picks.

Cap

Post by Cap »

Marty [Mori Chu] wrote:
Split T wrote:
I'd be really shocked if all 3 of those guys are gone. They aren't just going to throw their entire roster in the dumpster, including two top-10 first round picks.
I kinda wish people would stop mentioning that Bender and Chriss were top-10 picks. That wasn’t a normal draft.