2018 NBA Draft Thread

Discussion of the league and of our favorite team.
n4th4n

Re: 2018 NBA Draft Thread

Post by n4th4n »

The Robert Williams hype is starting to return to where it was last year. He is the type of dude who could end up looking better in the NBA than in college. A large part of his flat production as a sophomore is due to the fact that has spent the year playing out of position at Texas A&M. If he could be a Clint Capela type player, he would be a great fit on our team.

How would we feel about coming out of the draft with Doncic and Williams?

How would that compare to say... Ayton and SGA?

carey

Post by carey »

n4th4n wrote:How would we feel about coming out of the draft with Doncic and Williams?

I prefer Doncic and Williams. He was SEC co-defensive player of the year and if you've watched any of Ayton you'll know that he... isn't much of a defensive presence at this time.
Go Suns!

Og Snus!

n4th4n

Post by n4th4n »

carey wrote:
n4th4n wrote:How would we feel about coming out of the draft with Doncic and Williams?

I prefer Doncic and Williams. He was SEC co-defensive player of the year and if you've watched any of Ayton you'll know that he... isn't much of a defensive presence at this time.
That is what I am thinking as well. We would probably have to trade up if we wanted Williams. I have been trying to figure out potential partners for trading up. Currently, I have my eyes on the Hornets at #11. They have very little roster flexibility right now, so I feel like they would highly value cost-controlled rookie contracts.

They may prefer having, say... Chriss and the #14 over just #11.

Or 14 & 15 for 11?

There are a few possible options.

n4th4n

Post by n4th4n »

ESPN's most recent mock draft has us taking Ayton at 1, Kevin Knox at 15, and Aaron Holiday at 16.

Ayton and Knox would be tons of raw talent accompanied by so so so many headaches.

Split T

Post by Split T »

I wouldn't trade both firsts just to move up 3 spots. And I'm not sure you need to move up to get Williams. Either way, if we're targeting a big in that range I'd just stay put at 15 and take our pick. Jontay Porter, Daniel Gafford, Robert Williams, Mitchell Robinson are all in that range and I'm not really sure which one ends up as the best NBA guy. I like Porter, but I really haven't spent a lot of time watching any of them.

As for Ayton/SGA vs Doncic/Williams, it's tough. I have Doncic at the top of my board, but Ayton is close and I do have SGA pretty high. I'd probably lean Ayton/SGA as I think going with Doncic/Williams is putting a lot of pressure on Williams to become a very good defensive anchor and I'm just not convinced he'll be that.

Split T

Post by Split T »

n4th4n wrote:ESPN's most recent mock draft has us taking Ayton at 1, Kevin Knox at 15, and Aaron Holiday at 16.

Ayton and Knox would be tons of raw talent accompanied by so so so many headaches.
I haven't been very impressed with Knox in college. He is young though and in theory could be a good NBA player. He was billed as a long, athletic, perimeter 4. Kinda in the kuzma mold. I watched a few Kentucky games this year and he was mostly invisible.

I like holiday. I saw a stat on Twitter the other day and Holiday's catch and shoot numbers in college rank him in like the 98th percentile. I wish he was a little bigger, but he'd be a pretty good offensive fit next to Booker and he'll at least be able to defend most 1's in the NBA.

Split T

Post by Split T »

This all might be moot though. I think we keep our top pick, unless something crazy happens like AD or Kawhi demanding a trade. But, I think we'll move the two middle picks. Either in a package to move up and grab a guy we love, but more likely in a trade to snag a solid veteran piece.

O_Gardino

Post by O_Gardino »

carey wrote:

Totally agree. I'd be happy with those 2.
The league needs heroes, villains... and clowns. -- Aztec Sunsfan

O_Gardino

Post by O_Gardino »

n4th4n wrote:ESPN's most recent mock draft has us taking Ayton at 1, Kevin Knox at 15, and Aaron Holiday at 16.

I would hate that so much.

EDC

Post by EDC »

O_Gardino wrote:
carey wrote:

Totally agree. I'd be happy with those 2.
Sign me up for Doncic and some defensive bigs.

INFORMER

Post by INFORMER »

Split T wrote: But, I think we'll move the two middle picks. Either in a package to move up and grab a guy we love, but more likely in a trade to snag a solid veteran piece.
Both would be a mistake. You can draft a player or players with those picks that will be better than a "solid veteran piece." And after about the top 5, the rest of the lotto prospects are hardly worth trading up.
Trendon Watford. Please and thank you.

Mori Chu

Post by Mori Chu »

INFORMER wrote:
Split T wrote: But, I think we'll move the two middle picks. Either in a package to move up and grab a guy we love, but more likely in a trade to snag a solid veteran piece.
Both would be a mistake. You can draft a player or players with those picks that will be better than a "solid veteran piece." And after about the top 5, the rest of the lotto prospects are hardly worth trading up.
INFy, have you posted your list of which players you like best in this draft? Who would you currently prefer for the Suns to take at #1 if they got that pick? #2? etc.

Split T

Post by Split T »

INFORMER wrote:
It depends on who the "solid veteran piece" is. If it's Kevin Love, you're not drafting someone like him at 15.

And depending on what we do with our top pick, I'd be willing to package our picks to move up for SGA, Mikal Bridges, Wendell Carter or if Porter/Bagley/Bamba fall down the draft board.

Indy

Post by Indy »

Split T wrote:
INFORMER wrote:
It depends on who the "solid veteran piece" is. If it's Kevin Love, you're not drafting someone like him at 15.

And depending on what we do with our top pick, I'd be willing to package our picks to move up for SGA, Mikal Bridges, Wendell Carter or if Porter/Bagley/Bamba fall down the draft board.
Do you think the Cavs would give up Love for a mid-pick and a player not named Booker? Would you trade Jackson and 15 and 16 for him?

Split T

Post by Split T »

I don't really know what the Cavs would want for Love. It obviously depends on what LeBron does and they probably won't know what he's doing on draft night, so that makes trading picks for him difficult. Would 15, 16 and Bender be enough? Depends on how the Cavs feel about those assets and what other offers are out there. I would not include Jackson in any offers.

Indy

Post by Indy »

Split T wrote:I don't really know what the Cavs would want for Love. It obviously depends on what LeBron does and they probably won't know what he's doing on draft night, so that makes trading picks for him difficult. Would 15, 16 and Bender be enough? Depends on how the Cavs feel about those assets and what other offers are out there. I would not include Jackson in any offers.
Not even if it were Jackson, Chriss and Knight for Love? No picks.

Split T

Post by Split T »

Indy wrote:
Split T wrote:I don't really know what the Cavs would want for Love. It obviously depends on what LeBron does and they probably won't know what he's doing on draft night, so that makes trading picks for him difficult. Would 15, 16 and Bender be enough? Depends on how the Cavs feel about those assets and what other offers are out there. I would not include Jackson in any offers.
Well Cleveland wouldn't do that, but I guess I would. Then I'd use the picks we saved to move up for Mikal Bridges and go Booker/Bridges/Love plus whoever we draft in the top 5

O_Gardino

Post by O_Gardino »

Indy wrote:
I would be very tempted by that, especially if we were in a position to draft Doncic/Porter/Mikal. But Love only has value to this team if we have the right you guys for him to play with.

In2ition

Post by In2ition »

Split T wrote:
Indy wrote:
Well Cleveland wouldn't do that, but I guess I would. Then I'd use the picks we saved to move up for Mikal Bridges and go Booker/Bridges/Love plus whoever we draft in the top 5
I might do that, especially if they get an Ayton. You would still have assets to make a trade for an available piece(Wall), and cap space to lure a FA like (Cousins). Btw, just throwing it out there with a relationship with Wall. Don't flame me.
"When we all think alike, nobody is thinking" - Walter Lippmann
"Find out just what any people will quietly submit to and you have the exact measure of the injustice and wrong which will be imposed on them." ~ Frederick Douglass

EDC

Post by EDC »

Jackson is such a good fit next to Booker though. As long as he improves his three point shooting. Having someone who can take the hard defensive covers to help out Booker is pretty big.