2018 NBA Draft Thread

Discussion of the league and of our favorite team.
carey

Re: 2018 NBA Draft Thread

Post by carey »

Just turned 41 a handful of days ago and the last time we were playoff worthy my oldest was only 4-years-old. That was the season I got my Nash jersey signed after a Pelicans game. I said hello to Al too who was very grumpy.
Go Suns!

Og Snus!

O_Gardino

Post by O_Gardino »

From '75-76 to '09-10, the Suns only missed the playoffs 7 times (28 years in), with only one drought longer than one season. Prior to that stretch they were an awful expansion team, missing the playoffs 6 out of 7 seasons. Even that time saw the suns regularly winning 30 or more games.
The league needs heroes, villains... and clowns. -- Aztec Sunsfan

The Bobster

Post by The Bobster »

O_Gardino wrote:From '75-76 to '09-10, the Suns only missed the playoffs 7 times (28 years in), with only one drought longer than one season. Prior to that stretch they were an awful expansion team, missing the playoffs 6 out of 7 seasons. Even that time saw the suns regularly winning 30 or more games.
In the early 70's they had 48 and 49 win season where they didn't qualify for the playoffs. They were really an awful expansion team for only one year.
Author of The Basketball Draft Fact Book: A History of Professional Basketball's College Drafts
Available from Scarecrow Press at - https://rowman.com/ISBN/9780810890695

O_Gardino

Post by O_Gardino »

The Bobster wrote:
O_Gardino wrote:From '75-76 to '09-10, the Suns only missed the playoffs 7 times (28 years in), with only one drought longer than one season. Prior to that stretch they were an awful expansion team, missing the playoffs 6 out of 7 seasons. Even that time saw the suns regularly winning 30 or more games.
In the early 70's they had 48 and 49 win season where they didn't qualify for the playoffs. They were really an awful expansion team for only one year.
Yep, we've never had 2 season this bad in a row.

Aztec Sunsfan

Post by Aztec Sunsfan »

Well, I remember all those posting were people were infuriated by just barely making the playoffs those last years prior to 2010, we even have a nickname for a past period when we anually got eliminated in the first or second round, the “malaise years”. Many of us were criticized and even ridiculized as non-sofisticated because we dare to say that we liked to stay competitive and keep trying to build upon that... blasphemy!!! The proper way to build a championship team is starting from scratch!!!

“Let’s blow it up!!!”
“We are in the NBA purgatory!!!”

Guess what? There are places worst than purgatory. But we were spoiled by so many years of regular season success, and stop enjoying it, so here we are on NBA hell, where you are some years away from being some years away, scratching scouting reports from kids in the kindergarten class, and dismissing our prospects after a bad preseason or summer league game. Yeah, the owner, yeah right, management, truth is none of us would have done better, as much as we like to think we would. As much as them, we would be right on some and wrong on other. Not even wizards as Sam Presti, Rick Carlisle, Coach Stevens or the Great great Popovich would be safe from our spoiled attitude about “One Winner and 29 LOSERS”.

Sorry, we got our collective wish to start from scratch and now we have to take the whole journey.

bajanguy008

Post by bajanguy008 »

This is like the Awful Truth thread smh lol but I will try to embrace my denial for as long as I can before reality sets in by **** ?? that we are having another brutal year and then spend lots of time getting to know the prospects mentioned in here just hoping we finally get lucky.....
SUNS Fan from the Land of Sun, Sea and Sand ;)

Flagrant Fowl

Post by Flagrant Fowl »

Aztec Sunsfan wrote:Yeah, the owner, yeah right, management, truth is none of us would have done better, as much as we like to think we would. As much as them, we would be right on some and wrong on other. Not even wizards as Sam Presti, Rick Carlisle, Coach Stevens or the Great great Popovich would be safe from our spoiled attitude about “One Winner and 29 LOSERS”.
I don't think most around here are saying they'd do better than the people in the organization now because none of us have experience in the field. But we'd definitely be way ahead of where we are now with a better owner, management and coaching.
Send me a PM if you're interested in joining the phx-suns.net fantasy basketball league.

O_Gardino

Post by O_Gardino »

Aztec Sunsfan wrote: Guess what? There are places worst than purgatory. But we were spoiled by so many years of regular season success, and stop enjoying it, so here we are on NBA hell, where you are some years away from being some years away, scratching scouting reports from kids in the kindergarten class, and dismissing our prospects after a bad preseason or summer league game.
LOL

Split T

Post by Split T »

3 games in and I might be more excited about this draft than anything we'll see in the court this season.

Operating under the assumption that Booker/Jackson is our star core, who's the best 3rd piece in this draft?

Michael Porter: Best case scenario, he's a high level offensive player who can score at 3 levels and defend the 3/4 at at least an average level. Think 24/8/3 numbers. I haven't seen him enough to know if this is actually his ceiling, but he could potentially be a good fit.

Marvin Bagley III: Best case scenario has him being a franchise level superstar. He's big and freaky athletic. Has perimeter skills but can also score inside. Is his jump shot real? Not as long as giannis and I don't think quite the playmaker, but he's got similar athletic traits in a similar body.

DeAndre Ayton: Best case scenario is DeAndre Jordan with a jumpshot. He could be scary good and would be a phenomenal fit if he actually hits his ceiling.

Mohammed Bamba: Don't know a ton about him, just that he's got a longer wingspan than Rudy gobert and has some semblance of a perimeter game.

Luka Doncic: crazy advanced offensive game for his age. Can he play the 4 and be a point forward in the mold that Simmons is for 76ers. Add a 3D PG and a rim protecting 5 and Booker/Jackson/Doncic could be very special.

Superbone

Post by Superbone »

You're right. The draft has me way more excited than the season. After the way it started though, how could it not be? Still, it's extremely important what coach we get to mold this young team. Time to pay somebody with experience!
"Be Legendary."

In2ition

Post by In2ition »

Here's another local kid making good nationally.https://www.si.com/college-basketball/2 ... t-shooting
"When we all think alike, nobody is thinking" - Walter Lippmann
"Find out just what any people will quietly submit to and you have the exact measure of the injustice and wrong which will be imposed on them." ~ Frederick Douglass

Shabazz

Post by Shabazz »

I want:

https://twitter.com/Mike_Schmitz/status/922942109207863297

In2ition

Post by In2ition »

Shabazz wrote:I want:

https://twitter.com/Mike_Schmitz/status/922942109207863297

I do love Doncic and the way he plays, but honestly the Suns need a transcendent front court player. If there was a way to get Doncic and Bagley/Ayton or I should say 2 of the top 4-5 players.
"When we all think alike, nobody is thinking" - Walter Lippmann
"Find out just what any people will quietly submit to and you have the exact measure of the injustice and wrong which will be imposed on them." ~ Frederick Douglass

Superbone

Post by Superbone »

Doncic is Bird-like.
"Be Legendary."

Split T

Post by Split T »

I think there is a chance Doncic could play the 4 in a point forward role like Simmons. You'd want a big rim protecting, rebound machine next to him though.

O_Gardino

Post by O_Gardino »

Split T wrote:I think there is a chance Doncic could play the 4 in a point forward role like Simmons. You'd want a big rim protecting, rebound machine next to him though.
I'm not sure he's quick enough to play anywhere else.

Flagrant Fowl

Post by Flagrant Fowl »

I have a Doncic erection. A Donciection?
Send me a PM if you're interested in joining the phx-suns.net fantasy basketball league.

Split T

Post by Split T »

Impressive Red-Blue game performance for Arizona 7-foot freshman DeAndre Ayton: 21 points (10-of-14 FGs) and 9 rebounds in 19 minutes. Elite physical profile, advanced face up game, can stretch it to 3 on occasion, and has the tools to be a monster on the glass and defensively both inside and out. The question has never been talent for Ayton, who has clear No. 1 pick traits at 7-0, 243 pounds with a 7-6 wingspan, outstanding agility, and modern skills. Buying into becoming a consistent defensive force and playing with more discipline have always been the questions surrounding Ayton, who landed with the perfect coach to help him progress in those areas in Sean Miller.

Mike Schmitz, ESPN
Ayton has me very intrigued.

TOO

Post by TOO »

Flagrant Fowl wrote:I have a Doncic erection. A Donciection?
You may wanna have someone take a Luka at that... :shock:
👀 Fire Frank Vogel.

DrSublime

Post by DrSublime »

I want them to get Ayton or Bamba
~~~~~