2018 NBA Draft Thread

Discussion of the league and of our favorite team.
INFORMER

Re: 2018 NBA Draft Thread

Post by INFORMER »

O_Gardino wrote:
Rubio for Greg Monroe?
I don't think Utah would want to do that, and for us, it seems like a move just to make a move. I would prefer the cap space.
Trendon Watford. Please and thank you.

Indy

Post by Indy »

INFORMER wrote:
Indy wrote:
Ring_Wanted wrote:Don't look now guys, but with Miami's victory over Milwaukee, the Buck's pick is now at #16 and comes to us.

Miami is currently #23.

PHX is still #8 (three wins away from a top3 pick).

According to tankathon, we also have #37, #41, #49 and #57.

We really need to be doing something this trade deadline.
No kidding. It would be silly for us to keep all of these picks this year. At some point you need to have something to show for all of your assets besides something on the balance sheet. We are well under the cap, have guys that could really help other contenders (and pretenders), and other picks to make it more enticing. We need to get somebody to pair with Booker if we want to keep him in Phoenix.
Ugh, this is what I don't want. We have underwhelming prospects on this roster and I don't like getting rid of picks in a very good draft just because of some foolish notion that we have too many young players.

I'm fine with strategically packaging picks for worthwhile prospects, but too many times in the past it has felt like we have done this just to decrease the number of rookies being brought in.
There is no way we will use 5 picks this year. No way. And when we end up drafting and stashing, we just let that stash go for nothing. I have no confidence in this FO and coaching staff being able to handle another 5 guys under 22 years old next year. None. We are not going to keep Booker around by spending his 4th year playing .400 ball.

In2ition

Post by In2ition »

Indy wrote:
INFORMER wrote:
Indy wrote:
Ring_Wanted wrote:Don't look now guys, but with Miami's victory over Milwaukee, the Buck's pick is now at #16 and comes to us.

Miami is currently #23.

PHX is still #8 (three wins away from a top3 pick).

According to tankathon, we also have #37, #41, #49 and #57.

We really need to be doing something this trade deadline.
No kidding. It would be silly for us to keep all of these picks this year. At some point you need to have something to show for all of your assets besides something on the balance sheet. We are well under the cap, have guys that could really help other contenders (and pretenders), and other picks to make it more enticing. We need to get somebody to pair with Booker if we want to keep him in Phoenix.
Ugh, this is what I don't want. We have underwhelming prospects on this roster and I don't like getting rid of picks in a very good draft just because of some foolish notion that we have too many young players.

I'm fine with strategically packaging picks for worthwhile prospects, but too many times in the past it has felt like we have done this just to decrease the number of rookies being brought in.
There is no way we will use 5 picks this year. No way. And when we end up drafting and stashing, we just let that stash go for nothing. I have no confidence in this FO and coaching staff being able to handle another 5 guys under 22 years old next year. None. We are not going to keep Booker around by spending his 4th year playing .400 ball.
I don't think that the "Suns" will keep all 5 or 6 picks, but they easily could use a draft and stash and GLeague development philosophy. I don't expect more than 1 or 2 picks to actually be with the NBA club this next year.
"When we all think alike, nobody is thinking" - Walter Lippmann
"Find out just what any people will quietly submit to and you have the exact measure of the injustice and wrong which will be imposed on them." ~ Frederick Douglass

Shabazz

Post by Shabazz »

Absurd stat-line by Trae Young. 48 points on 39 shots (8-20!! from 3) and 8 assists.

[youtube][/youtube]

Shabazz

Post by Shabazz »

In 2019 draft news, Zion Williamson committed to Duke. Duke now has the top 3 recruits from that class (RJ Barrett, Cam Reddish and Zion).

JCSunsfan

Post by JCSunsfan »

Shabazz wrote:In 2019 draft news, Zion Williamson committed to Duke. Duke now has the top 3 recruits from that class (RJ Barrett, Cam Reddish and Zion).
Zion is a freak. Pudgy kid (6-7, 270 )that flies. He must have a 40 inch vertical. Like a young Charles Barkley.
Last edited by JCSunsfan on Sat Jan 20, 2018 11:32 pm, edited 1 time in total.

n4th4n

Post by n4th4n »

Shabazz wrote:Absurd stat-line by Trae Young. 48 points on 39 shots (8-20!! from 3) and 8 assists.

[youtube][/youtube]
It was honestly a pretty ugly game from him that showed a lot of his flaws. He shot 39 times to get those 48 points. I have literally checked no stats to back this up, but I get a serious Jodie Meeks 2009 season vibe from Trae Young.

carey

Re: RE: Re: 2018 NBA Draft Thread

Post by carey »

Shabazz wrote:In 2019 draft news, Zion Williamson committed to Duke. Duke now has the top 3 recruits from that class (RJ Barrett, Cam Reddish and Zion).
Lol. K gonna K but I hope they get bounced in the 1st round next year.
Go Suns!

Og Snus!

JCSunsfan

Post by JCSunsfan »

n4th4n wrote:
Shabazz wrote:Absurd stat-line by Trae Young. 48 points on 39 shots (8-20!! from 3) and 8 assists.

[youtube][/youtube]
It was honestly a pretty ugly game from him that showed a lot of his flaws. He shot 39 times to get those 48 points. I have literally checked no stats to back this up, but I get a serious Jodie Meeks 2009 season vibe from Trae Young.
I don't know. The kid is carrying his team on his back every game. He is shooting 40% from 3 and 51% from two and dishing out 10 assists per game. Jodie Meeks got 1.5 apg. If Trae had exactly those same stats but was scoring 18 a game instead of 30 a game, he would still be in the top 5 conversation because of his game management and distribution skills.

n4th4n

Post by n4th4n »

JCSunsfan wrote:
n4th4n wrote:

[youtube][/youtube]
I don't know. The kid is carrying his team on his back every game. He is shooting 40% from 3 and 51% from two and dishing out 10 assists per game. Jodie Meeks got 1.5 apg. If Trae had exactly those same stats but was scoring 18 a game instead of 30 a game, he would still be in the top 5 conversation because of his game management and distribution skills.
Oh yes, there is no question he is already 20x the passer that Jodie Meeks ever was. I dono though. Something about him doesn't sit right with me. Maybe it's just because this is the first time I have sat down and watch an entire game from him. But tonight I saw him get overwhelmed athletically, struggle to keep his handle against long defenders and gun up 39 shot. I should probably hold my opinion until I watch some of his better games I guess.

Mori Chu

Post by Mori Chu »

Also, you know he will be better because his name is Trae (as in trey, as in three pointer, as in he makes them) rather than Meeks (as in meek, as in not courageous).

Ring_Wanted

Post by Ring_Wanted »

Trae's shot selection is crazy. The ability is there but I am scared if he doesn't end up under a head coach that knows how to handle him.

Sunsfan4life

Post by Sunsfan4life »

Must see TV with 2 projected lottery picks next weekend with Collin Sexton (PG Bama) vs Young. Even if you don't like Sexton as a prospect I'm curious to see how Young does going up against him. He's a very active and physical defender (his body is similarly built to Bledsoe's). Sexton has missed last 2 games with an injury so I'm hoping he's able to play because it should be a great individual matchup.
“Kobe had said (after the play) I wasn’t hugged enough as a child,” Bell recalled. “My mom kind of found him after the instance and we had beat them and offered him a hug in the bowels of the Phoenix arena. She really feels a part of that story.”

JCSunsfan

Post by JCSunsfan »

n4th4n wrote:
Ring_Wanted wrote:
O_Gardino wrote:Rubio for Greg Monroe?
Has crossed my mind, but still hesitant. Can't have so many guys who can't shoot.
Same thought has crossed my mind! Strangely, I think trading for Rubio would add shooting and spacing to our team in a sort of roundabout way by allowing Booker to play more off ball. Plus, Rubio shoots better (marginally) than Ulis. I don't know if Monroe would be enough to get it done. Maybe if we took back one more contract in the trade. Burks perhaps? Would we have to throw in another player and a second round pick or two?
That is a terrible indictment of Ulis. Rubio is one of the worst shooting pg’s in the history of the league.

O_Gardino

Post by O_Gardino »

JCSunsfan wrote:
n4th4n wrote:
Ring_Wanted wrote:
O_Gardino wrote:Rubio for Greg Monroe?
Has crossed my mind, but still hesitant. Can't have so many guys who can't shoot.
Same thought has crossed my mind! Strangely, I think trading for Rubio would add shooting and spacing to our team in a sort of roundabout way by allowing Booker to play more off ball. Plus, Rubio shoots better (marginally) than Ulis. I don't know if Monroe would be enough to get it done. Maybe if we took back one more contract in the trade. Burks perhaps? Would we have to throw in another player and a second round pick or two?
That is a terrible indictment of Ulis. Rubio is one of the worst shooting pg’s in the history of the league.
Tyler is worse this year, although better than Ricky was at that age.

I don't really want Rubio long term, I just think some of our shooters and athletes would benefit from a PG they knew was going to pass the ball. A year playing with Rubio might get them in the habit of moving and being ready to catch and shoot.
The league needs heroes, villains... and clowns. -- Aztec Sunsfan

Split T

Post by Split T »

I've never been a Rubio fan and never understood the fascination. I live in Utah and can tell you that while jazz fans were excited for the Rubio era, they don't like him at all anymore.

O_Gardino

Post by O_Gardino »

He's not great, but he does a specific thing well. The Jazz are the wrong team for him, though.

n4th4n

Post by n4th4n »

O_Gardino wrote:He's not great, but he does a specific thing well. The Jazz are the wrong team for him, though.
Bingo!

Split T

Post by Split T »

I actually prefer giving Brandon Knight another chance to Rubio.

O_Gardino

Post by O_Gardino »

BOOOOO!!!!!!