2018 NBA Draft Thread

Discussion of the league and of our favorite team.
specialsauce

Re: 2018 NBA Draft Thread

Post by specialsauce »

I would LOVE Ayton. Dude is going to be a star. Doncic/Ayton/Bagley are sure fire stars. Everyone else to me is a gamble. I'm not saying others won't be good, but I'm not looking for another role player to join a team full of role players.

INFORMER

Post by INFORMER »

Yeah, so far I'm not seeing the causes for concern regarding Ayton that others are. His willingness to defend all over the court is astounding. He also has shown good offensive awareness in handling double teams.
Trendon Watford. Please and thank you.

iLLmatic

Post by iLLmatic »

INFORMER wrote:Yeah, so far I'm not seeing the causes for concern regarding Ayton that others are. His willingness to defend all over the court is astounding. He also has shown good offensive awareness in handling double teams.
I'm excited for the choices we are going to have.

In2ition

Post by In2ition »

Ring_Wanted wrote:But Doncic gives you almost unlimited versatility. And IQ. You can use Doncic-Booker and a SF or put a small guard next to those two at the wings. Some think Doncic can hold his own at PF but even in the stretch role I doubt it (and ultimately I think it could be be a waste).

Only Ayton gives me pause. Bagley is not elite athletically for the kind of offense he uses (although I absolutely love his mindset and passion, which you can see in how he is hungry for rebounds). Bemba wouldn't be a bad consolation price, like Porter.

Young is too risky for my taste. I feel his body won't allow him to frequently do whatever he wants in the NBA. Shot selection also a huge concern. And fit next to Booker.
I don't think Doncic is a PF or would you play him there, just my opinion.

Bagley is elite athletically. I'm not sure what you are talking about there, or maybe what you mean.

I think Young's fit next to Booker would be great, since he can also spread the floor, take pressure off of Booker, and he's an excellent passer.
"When we all think alike, nobody is thinking" - Walter Lippmann
"Find out just what any people will quietly submit to and you have the exact measure of the injustice and wrong which will be imposed on them." ~ Frederick Douglass

Split T

Post by Split T »

I've mentioned Doncic at PF, but more as wishful thinking. I think the best case scenario for him defensively is him being big enough to defend most 4's. He's not going to be a lockdown defender, but maybe he can be a Dudley like defensive player. Smart, strong and can do fine covering the 3 or 4. And I'm mostly talking Dudley of a few years ago. Doncic offensively is a PG, he's got fantastic vision and passing ability. You'd just need someone alongside him and Booker that can cover the opposing PG.

Split T

Post by Split T »

specialsauce wrote:I would LOVE Ayton. Dude is going to be a star. Doncic/Ayton/Bagley are sure fire stars. Everyone else to me is a gamble. I'm not saying others won't be good, but I'm not looking for another role player to join a team full of role players.
That's kinda where I'm at. Doncic and Ayton are my top 2 and I go back and forth on Bagley. Bagley has elite athleticism and a strong work ethic. He'll succeed in the NBA, but there is a real concern that he's not as skilled as previously thought. His shot and off the dribble game aren't as good as advertised. There was some next KG talk about him but that's not really showing up. Still, he's elite athletically and has great touch around the rim and a great motor. Put him in the PNR with a good or great passer and he should give you 20/10 on efficient shooting. So I like him, just not sure he's the transcendent talent I previously thought.

virtual9mm

Post by virtual9mm »

Jackson.

Split T

Post by Split T »

virtual9mm wrote:Jackson.
I like Jackson, he could be what Ibaka was for like 1 year. Elite shot blocker, can switch, shoots the 3, can finish athletically around the rim. I think a few other guys have higher ceilings though.

INFORMER

Post by INFORMER »

I think his ceiling is higher than Ibaka.
Trendon Watford. Please and thank you.

Split T

Post by Split T »

Agreed. Ibaka was blocking 3 shots a game and became a good stretch 4, but for what ever reason he peaked at like age 24 and his elite shot blocking disappeared. I think Jackson can be what I thought Ibaka was heading towards.

Ring_Wanted

Post by Ring_Wanted »

In2ition wrote:Bagley is elite athletically. I'm not sure what you are talking about there, or maybe what you mean.
He is not strong and his wingspan is just 7'. His first step is not great either.

Anyway, I reckon he is a great prospect. When I talk about these concerns it is in the context of a top2 pick and only because this draft brings Ayton and Doncic. Most drafts he'd be a top2 choice or even clear #1.

Mori Chu

Post by Mori Chu »

Split T wrote:Agreed. Ibaka was blocking 3 shots a game and became a good stretch 4, but for what ever reason he peaked at like age 24 and his elite shot blocking disappeared. I think Jackson can be what I thought Ibaka was heading towards.
I thought there were some rumors that Ibaka was actually older than he claimed to be. That would account for his early peak and his rapid fall-off in his "late 20s."

Split T

Post by Split T »

Marty [Mori Chu] wrote:
Split T wrote:Agreed. Ibaka was blocking 3 shots a game and became a good stretch 4, but for what ever reason he peaked at like age 24 and his elite shot blocking disappeared. I think Jackson can be what I thought Ibaka was heading towards.
I thought there were some rumors that Ibaka was actually older than he claimed to be. That would account for his early peak and his rapid fall-off in his "late 20s."
I thought about that too. He came into the league at 20 and peaked at 23-24. He's like 28 now and not the player he once was. His career trajectory would make more sense if those ages were 24, peak at 27-28, and currently 32

In2ition

Post by In2ition »

Ring_Wanted wrote:
In2ition wrote:Bagley is elite athletically. I'm not sure what you are talking about there, or maybe what you mean.
He is not strong and his wingspan is just 7'. His first step is not great either.

Anyway, I reckon he is a great prospect. When I talk about these concerns it is in the context of a top2 pick and only because this draft brings Ayton and Doncic. Most drafts he'd be a top2 choice or even clear #1.
You know you're going to get great effort and an unbelievable work ethic in Bagley. In a ways, he reminds me of a pf version of Jackson. I think he's going to get stronger and stronger very soon.

What do you think his ceiling is? Clint Capela?
"Find out just what any people will quietly submit to and you have the exact measure of the injustice and wrong which will be imposed on them." ~ Frederick Douglass

O_Gardino

Post by O_Gardino »

Marty [Mori Chu] wrote:My sense was that a Doncic/Booker backcourt would get roasted defensively. Is Trae Young good on D?
He gets a lot of steals, and he seems pretty aware of what the other team is trying to do. I don't think he is physically able to keep us with a lot of NBA guys. Maybe the Steph Curry comparisons work for both ends of the court.
The league needs heroes, villains... and clowns. -- Aztec Sunsfan

In2ition

Post by In2ition »

O_Gardino wrote:
Marty [Mori Chu] wrote:My sense was that a Doncic/Booker backcourt would get roasted defensively. Is Trae Young good on D?
He gets a lot of steals, and he seems pretty aware of what the other team is trying to do. I don't think he is physically able to keep us with a lot of NBA guys. Maybe the Steph Curry comparisons work for both ends of the court.
Somewhat of a combo of Nash/Curry?

Ring_Wanted

Post by Ring_Wanted »

In2ition wrote:
Ring_Wanted wrote:

You know you're going to get great effort and an unbelievable work ethic in Bagley. In a ways, he reminds me of a pf version of Jackson. I think he's going to get stronger and stronger very soon.
I have no doubts about his work ethic, I already appalauded his mindset. His body shape is not ideal for bulking, though. Bulking without losing speed/explosion, that's it.
What do you think his ceiling is? Clint Capela?
Who? Bagley? No way. Bagley can shoot and is an allaround PF on offense, with ability to go one on one from the perimeter (and I like how he reads defenses when driving to find a man under the basket). I've seen comparisons to KG, Davis or Bosh. Poor man's Davis, perhaps. A terrific #2 option to a perimeter star.

wpmiller42

Post by wpmiller42 »

INFORMER wrote:Yeah, so far I'm not seeing the causes for concern regarding Ayton that others are. His willingness to defend all over the court is astounding. He also has shown good offensive awareness in handling double teams.
This is my favorite part about Ayton's game. I just think he's going to be an elite defender in the NBA.

Cap

Post by Cap »

wpmiller42 wrote:
This is my favorite part about Ayton's game. I just think he's going to be an elite defender in the NBA.
Willingness to defend all over the court? Sounds like Bender, if Bender were much more athletic. It would be interesting to see how those two work together.

Split T

Post by Split T »

Ayton has the highest floor to me. I don't see how he's not at least Andre Drummond with a jumpshot. Right now I'd take him 1, cuz he's going to be good and has a chance to be special. He could be a game changing defensive player that protects the rim and can't be taken advantage of in the pick n roll. Offensively he can be an elite rim runner and pick n pop. He's also shown some passing ability. 7'0 with a 7'5 wingspan and a 40" vertical. Hard to pass on him.