2018 NBA Draft Thread

Discussion of the league and of our favorite team.
JCSunsfan

Re: 2018 NBA Draft Thread

Post by JCSunsfan »

Split T wrote:
JCSunsfan wrote:
Flagrant Fowl wrote:Greyson Allen will likely be drafted, but he's a 7th-8th man at best on a decent team.

Whenever you see him play well this year remember that he's at least 2-3 years older than basically everyone else on the court.
IMO, the age advantage is greatly overblown regarding NBA prospects, especially with guards.
You think so? We've had a number of guard prospects over the years break out as upperclassmen who have struggled in the NBA (Kris Dunn, buddy hield, jimmer) Was there college success more to do with their advanced age or did they actually improve. Their NBA struggles would lean towards their advanced age being the culprit.

Grayson may be different. He showed promise as a freshman and had a pretty good sophomore year as well. He's not necessarily a late bloomer. I don't really have much interest though.
But there are plenty of good guards who were upper classmen when drafted. Steph Curry, Klay Thompson, Malcomb Brogdon, Isaiah Thomas, Damien Lillard, Victor Oladipo, Danny Green, CJ McCollum, Jimmy Butler. That is 9 of arguably the top 30 guards in the nba at present, at least according to Bleacher Report at the beginning of this year. All of these were drafted as either Juniors or Seniors. The issue is not age. Its whether they have a game that will translate to the NBA and do they have the drive to improve.

Split T

Post by Split T »

JCSunsfan wrote:
Split T wrote:
JCSunsfan wrote:
Flagrant Fowl wrote:Greyson Allen will likely be drafted, but he's a 7th-8th man at best on a decent team.

Whenever you see him play well this year remember that he's at least 2-3 years older than basically everyone else on the court.
IMO, the age advantage is greatly overblown regarding NBA prospects, especially with guards.
You think so? We've had a number of guard prospects over the years break out as upperclassmen who have struggled in the NBA (Kris Dunn, buddy hield, jimmer) Was there college success more to do with their advanced age or did they actually improve. Their NBA struggles would lean towards their advanced age being the culprit.

Grayson may be different. He showed promise as a freshman and had a pretty good sophomore year as well. He's not necessarily a late bloomer. I don't really have much interest though.
But there are plenty of good guards who were upper classmen when drafted. Steph Curry, Klay Thompson, Malcomb Brogdon, Isaiah Thomas, Damien Lillard, Victor Oladipo, Danny Green, CJ McCollum, Jimmy Butler. That is 9 of arguably the top 30 guards in the nba at present, at least according to Bleacher Report at the beginning of this year. All of these were drafted as either Juniors or Seniors. The issue is not age. Its whether they have a game that will translate to the NBA and do they have the drive to improve.
True, age isn't the issue, but it could be an indicator of an issue. Some people bloom later, some people have skills that translate better in the NBA, and some people we're just ignored for playing at a small school.

But if someone succeeds as an upperclassmen after struggling as an underclassmen, I wouldn't just write off their age being a factor. As I said earlier, I don't think Grayson exactly fits this scenario. He was pretty good as a sophomore.

In2ition

Post by In2ition »

Heck, Duke wouldn't have won when he was a freshman without him stepping up his game big time in the tournament.
"When we all think alike, nobody is thinking" - Walter Lippmann
"Find out just what any people will quietly submit to and you have the exact measure of the injustice and wrong which will be imposed on them." ~ Frederick Douglass

In2ition

Post by In2ition »

http://www.dukebasketballreport.com/201 ... rs-tribune
I just saw this and thought it was a good read. Specialsauce might even enjoy it.
"Find out just what any people will quietly submit to and you have the exact measure of the injustice and wrong which will be imposed on them." ~ Frederick Douglass

TOO

Post by TOO »

I've always been a fan of Allen's game, his attitude and stuff is pretty garbage, but he can play. He's a perfect type to be a back up guard who can handle the ball a little.
👀 Fire Frank Vogel.

JCSunsfan

Post by JCSunsfan »

He is a Danny Ainge/Raja Bell type of guard.

In2ition

Post by In2ition »

JCSunsfan wrote:He is a Danny Ainge/Raja Bell type of guard.
The kind you hate when he plays for the other team, but love him when he's on yours?

TOO

Post by TOO »

In2ition wrote:
The kind you hate when he plays for the other team, but love him when he's on yours?
Basically. But you also might hate him on your team because of his smug hairless ted cruz face.
👀 Fire Frank Vogel.

JCSunsfan

Post by JCSunsfan »

Interesting article by Grayson. Basically hensays that he remained at Duke because he knows that he has some significant maturing to do as a person and he thinks that the Duke environment both basketball and school is the best place to do it.

Superbone

Post by Superbone »

JCSunsfan wrote:Interesting article by Grayson. Basically hensays that he remained at Duke because he knows that he has some significant maturing to do as a person and he thinks that the Duke environment both basketball and school is the best place to do it.
Interesting. Thanks for the synopsis. Wasn't going to read it but now I will.
"Be Legendary."

In2ition

Post by In2ition »

Superbone wrote:
JCSunsfan wrote:Interesting article by Grayson. Basically hensays that he remained at Duke because he knows that he has some significant maturing to do as a person and he thinks that the Duke environment both basketball and school is the best place to do it.
I guess when I said it was a good read, that didn't entice you to read it. I'm not saying you have already made your mind up about who he is and what he's all about, but I'm sure there are a few of us that have already completed our opinion of him. Maybe I should say, "Don't read it if you are likely to have your opinion changed because it might humanize him."

Superbone

Post by Superbone »

In2ition wrote:
Superbone wrote:
I guess when I said it was a good read, that didn't entice you to read it. I'm not saying you have already made your mind up about who he is and what he's all about, but I'm sure there are a few of us that have already completed our opinion of him. Maybe I should say, "Don't read it if you are likely to have your opinion changed because it might humanize him."
Ha ha. Yeah, you could have sold it better. :P It just took a little more detail from JC to put me over the threshold to click on the link. But thanks for posting! :)
"Be Legendary."

Superbone

Post by Superbone »

Just finished reading the article. Very well written and a good read as promised. :)
"Be Legendary."

bajanguy008

Post by bajanguy008 »

In2ition wrote:
Superbone wrote:
ahhh bummer, yea I saw his name and immediately dismissed it :oops: lol. guess I will read it now smh :twisted:
SUNS Fan from the Land of Sun, Sea and Sand ;)

In2ition

Post by In2ition »

Superbone wrote:
In2ition wrote:
Superbone wrote:
Ha ha. Yeah, you could have sold it better. :P It just took a little more detail from JC to put me over the threshold to click on the link. But thanks for posting! :)
I am the self admitted World's Worst Salesman. I used to have season tix to the Suns back in the 7SOL days and it was the hottest ticket in town. I would offer them for free to Suns fans and basketball fans, but couldn't even give them away. That's how bad I am, so no worries. I'm glad you enjoyed it.

Superbone

Post by Superbone »

In2ition wrote:
Superbone wrote:
In2ition wrote:
Superbone wrote:
I am the self admitted World's Worst Salesman. I used to have season tix to the Suns back in the 7SOL days and it was the hottest ticket in town. I would offer them for free to Suns fans and basketball fans, but couldn't even give them away. That's how bad I am, so no worries. I'm glad you enjoyed it.
Ha! That's pretty bad. ;)
"Be Legendary."

specialsauce

Post by specialsauce »

TheOriginalOriginal wrote:
In2ition wrote:
Basically. But you also might hate him on your team because of his smug hairless ted cruz face.
Hahahaha

Shabazz

Post by Shabazz »

This kid is really good:

https://twitter.com/ABA_League/status/932019141585842176

Split T

Post by Split T »

Don't get to look at Porter this year. He'll be a bit of a mystery coming into the draft.

https://twitter.com/MizzouHoops/status/933050756189638656

In2ition

Post by In2ition »

Split T wrote:Don't get to look at Porter this year. He'll be a bit of a mystery coming into the draft.

https://twitter.com/MizzouHoops/status/933050756189638656

back surgery at this age is scary. I wouldn't doubt it that it causes him to drop, just don't know how far he will drop. At least out of the top 5, I would think.