2018 NBA Draft Thread

Discussion of the league and of our favorite team.
Superbone

Re: 2018 NBA Draft Thread

Post by Superbone »

Ring_Wanted wrote:Yo Ayton is a monster. I like him more than Bagley and Doncic. I haven't made my mind up about Porter.
Funny first name though.
"Be Legendary."

Split T

Post by Split T »

He's on my list. I wanna see him play this year, but he could be special.

In2ition

Post by In2ition »

I almost felt like he played so nonchalantly these past couple years, because he was so dominate that I hope we see the real DeAndre Ayton this year at UA.
"When we all think alike, nobody is thinking" - Walter Lippmann
"Find out just what any people will quietly submit to and you have the exact measure of the injustice and wrong which will be imposed on them." ~ Frederick Douglass

Hermen

Post by Hermen »

In2ition wrote:I almost felt like he played so nonchalantly these past couple years, because he was so dominate that I hope we see the real DeAndre Ayton this year at UA.
It sounds like he sucks at free throws.

In2ition

Post by In2ition »

Hermen wrote:
In2ition wrote:I almost felt like he played so nonchalantly these past couple years, because he was so dominate that I hope we see the real DeAndre Ayton this year at UA.
I couldn't tell if you were joking or not, and if so, I'm sorry I totally missed the joke. Here is his strengths in nbadraft.net where it says he hit 82% of his freethrows.
Strengths: Posesses can't miss talent with the chance to develop into a generational big ... Seven-footer with great coordination and fluidity … Great size and length with a 7’5.5 wingspan and 9’3 standing reach ... Runs the floor well with great agility ... Good strength level as well as body frame. Very good footwork ... Can score from every spot on the floor. Shoots well from three with great rotation on his shot. Good free throw shooter, shot 82.1% over the Nike EYBL ... Great athlete. Can play above the rim and is a very reliable finisher ... Shot 60.2% from the field over the Nike EYBL. Can finish plays that no defense can contest. Great rebounder on both ends of the floor. Secures any rebound he can get a hand on ... Great shot blocker and protects the paint. Alters shots that he doesn’t block and redirects the offense away from the paint. Does a great job of knowing when to leave his feet and when to stay on the ground to avoid fouls. Very good defender ... Hedges screens and moves his feet well. Reads and jumps passing lanes incredibly well ... Sees the floor well. Constantly communicates and directs traffic on offense and defense. Has great awareness, understands game plan and reads the game well. Knows where he’s passing before he receives the ball. Consistently finds the cutter. Plays a great high/low game when paired with another big man. Knows how to run the pick and roll/pick and pop … Unselfish and patient offensively … Has a solid foundation for a back to the basket game. Good touch on jump hook and very accurate around the rim. Shows a turnaround fade away in the post … Isn’t afraid of physicality and plays well through contact … Constantly attracts the defense’s attention. Reads double teams well … Good ball handling and passing ability for his size … Doesn’t have any major weaknesses …
"Find out just what any people will quietly submit to and you have the exact measure of the injustice and wrong which will be imposed on them." ~ Frederick Douglass

Ring_Wanted

Post by Ring_Wanted »

They are comparing him to David Robinson. We'll see about thtat, but anyway he is a top prospect.

Cap

Post by Cap »

In2ition wrote:
Hermen wrote:
I couldn't tell if you were joking or not, and if so, I'm sorry I totally missed the joke.
Perhaps a reference to his first name, which he shares with DeAndre Jordan.

Superbone

Post by Superbone »

Cap wrote:
In2ition wrote:
Hermen wrote:
I couldn't tell if you were joking or not, and if so, I'm sorry I totally missed the joke.
Wait... I thought it was Yo.
"Be Legendary."

In2ition

Post by In2ition »

Ring_Wanted wrote:They are comparing him to David Robinson. We'll see about thtat, but anyway he is a top prospect.
Yeah, the first time I saw that comparison I thought it was way off. He doesn't seem that bouncy to me, certainly not close to what David Robinson was. Then I saw that he had a 43.5 inch vertical on a 260 lb dude, and now I'm really curious how he's going to look this year.

BTW, can you image what the Suns would have looked like in the late 80's and early 90's if the Suns landed the #1 pick and Robinson, instead of #2? He seemed like he would have been perfect compliment with KJ, Hornecek, Majerle, and Chambers. And, possibly Barkley later.

Split T

Post by Split T »

Physically, Ayton has very few peers. He's physically and athletically similar to DeAndre Jordan. Has way more perimeter skills, the question with him has been desire.

In2ition

Post by In2ition »

Split T wrote:Physically, Ayton has very few peers. He's physically and athletically similar to DeAndre Jordan. Has way more perimeter skills, the question with him has been desire.
Funny thing about that, because I would have compared him to Jordan too when I saw him, Ayton's vert is 13 inches higher than Jordan. That is crazy, because he's also supposedly 1 inch taller and 10 lbs heavier than Jordan was measured at in 2008 pre draft.

Ring_Wanted

Post by Ring_Wanted »

In2ition wrote:
Ring_Wanted wrote:They are comparing him to David Robinson. We'll see about thtat, but anyway he is a top prospect.
Yeah, the first time I saw that comparison I thought it was way off. He doesn't seem that bouncy to me, certainly not close to what David Robinson was. Then I saw that he had a 43.5 inch vertical on a 260 lb dude, and now I'm really curious how he's going to look this year.

BTW, can you image what the Suns would have looked like in the late 80's and early 90's if the Suns landed the #1 pick and Robinson, instead of #2? He seemed like he would have been perfect compliment with KJ, Hornecek, Majerle, and Chambers. And, possibly Barkley later.
Wow never imagined Barkley and Robinson in their primes on the same team. With KJ as well. My mind is blown.

Ayton's agility (and the way he grabs the ball) gives me shades of Hakeem.

Ring_Wanted

Post by Ring_Wanted »

Btw, I believe the only way to dethrone GSW (besides a monster performance from LeBron and the rest of whatever team he has around him) is by having an interior presence that can punish Draymond, obviously with the proper supporting cast. A one-two punch between said center and a potent perimeter scorer plus 3D guys and I think you can compete. If you have a good third option who is not a liability anywhere, the chance is real imo.

Hermen

Post by Hermen »

Cap wrote:
In2ition wrote:
Hermen wrote:
Yes, just a bad joke. It's not only Jordan though. There is DeAndre Liggins, currently with Miami, with 55 career ft%. Also DeAndre Bembrey in Atlanta with 37.5 ft% last year (granted, rookie with small sample size, but still).
Also just being Andre without the De is not much better: Iguodala (71.5 which is ok-ish), Drummond (38.1) and Roberson (49.3).

In2ition

Post by In2ition »

https://sports.yahoo.com/adam-silver-ri ... 21752.html
Did you guys see this? If this happens then you could maybe add RJ Barrett, Cameron Reddish, Bol Bol and Zion Williamson to the draft class and that Miami pick is looking decent.

**Still wish the Suns wouldn't have traded for Brandon Knight and traded away that Lakers pick.

Split T

Post by Split T »

I don't think there is anyway it would go into effect in time for this upcoming draft. Could make the 2019 draft extra deep though.

Superbone

Post by Superbone »

In2ition wrote: **Still wish the Suns wouldn't have traded for Brandon Knight and traded away that Lakers pick.
LET. IT. GO!
"Be Legendary."

Superbone

Post by Superbone »

Superbone wrote:
In2ition wrote: **Still wish the Suns wouldn't have traded for Brandon Knight and traded away that Lakers pick.
LET. IT. GO!
BUT HE IS SO RIGHT! We would have had it for the 2018 draft, only top two protected!

AAAAAAAAAAAAHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHH!!!!!!!!!!!!
"Be Legendary."

Cap

Post by Cap »

It's tough to let it go. We're a terrible team. We haven't made the playoffs since 2010. All we as fans have to hold onto is the future, and that future has been severely compromised by that horrible trade. We all knew at the time that it was a bad trade, but the folks who are paid millions to make these decisions made it anyway, and it turned out to be even worse than we could have imagined. It's infuriating.

Indy

Post by Indy »

Cap wrote:It's tough to let it go. We're a terrible team. We haven't made the playoffs since 2010. All we as fans have to hold onto is the future, and that future has been severely compromised by that horrible trade. We all knew at the time that it was a bad trade, but the folks who are paid millions to make these decisions made it anyway, and it turned out to be even worse than we could have imagined. It's infuriating.
My kids are 10 and 8, and neither can remember a time when the Suns were in the playoffs. I will soon be 42 and you can't find a time in my life where our playoff drought was even half as bad as this one is. We are certainly justified in feeling the pain of that awful trade and re-signing.