2018 NBA Draft Thread

Discussion of the league and of our favorite team.
Split T

Re: 2018 NBA Draft Thread

Post by Split T »

specialsauce wrote:
Split T wrote:Barnes plays 63% of his minutes at PF
Tatum plays 25% of his minutes at PF

And ya, those guys outweigh Bridges, but they are also NBA vets. The only official measurement we have on Bridges comes when he was 16 and he measured 6'6 with a 7'1 wingspan. He's most likely grown and will add strength in the NBA.

I think there is a good chance he's capable of playing minutes at the 4.
Lol. There’s no way in hell he can guard the above players. You picked a guy who plays 25% of his minutes at PF to compare him to. Your other comparisons (other than Melo) are from the worst teams in the league.

There’s absolutely no chance he can guard and contend on the boards with Love, Greek Freak, Durant/Green, Favors/Gobert, Davis/Cousins, Aldridge, Saric/Embiid, Etc. No chance.

Joe Ingles, Trevor Ariza, luc mbah a moute, Tobias Harris, Rudy gay, rondae Hollis Jefferson, Otto Porter, Thad young, all play significant minutes at the pf. Bridges fits right in with that group.

specialsauce

Post by specialsauce »

I think we’re done here. You’ve made up your mind that he can play PF, for reasons that baffle me. It would be an incredible waste of a draft pick on a team with so many needs to draft a player at our only strong position.

Shabazz

Post by Shabazz »

TheOriginalOriginal wrote:Anyone doubting Sexton still?
Yes. Very much so. He's a point guard who averages 3.7 APG and has only 4 games with 6 or more asstists (3 with 6, 1 with 7) all season. I also don't trust his shot.

Fiery player and good competitor. Great at getting to the line. But I have serious doubts.

Shabazz

Post by Shabazz »

RE Mikal, the idea would be that we also got someone like Ayton with an early pick who can pick up the rebounding slack. Or maybe sign Capela or trade TJ for a big.

I'd envision Mikal being our backup 3, playing some small ball 4 next to a true 5 and playing in "point-Booker" lineups where our perimeter would be Booker-Jackson-Bridges. If we trade TJ, there are plenty of swingman minutes to go around.

Split T

Post by Split T »

Shabazz wrote:RE Mikal, the idea would be that we also got someone like Ayton with an early pick who can pick up the rebounding slack. Or maybe sign Capela or trade TJ for a big.

I'd envision Mikal being our backup 3, playing some small ball 4 next to a true 5 and playing in "point-Booker" lineups where our perimeter would be Booker-Jackson-Bridges. If we trade TJ, there are plenty of swingman minutes to go around.
Yep exactly how I feel.

There is no realistic scenario where I'd take him with our first pick(we'd have to go like 10-5 and finish with the 9th pick for me to consider it) but if we land someone like Ayton. I'd gladly move TJ to move up and take Bridges.

Split T

Post by Split T »

Shabazz wrote:
TheOriginalOriginal wrote:Anyone doubting Sexton still?
Yes. Very much so. He's a point guard who averages 3.7 APG and has only 4 games with 6 or more asstists (3 with 6, 1 with 7) all season. I also don't trust his shot.

Fiery player and good competitor. Great at getting to the line. But I have serious doubts.
We can't take any guards/wings that can't shoot. I like Sexton as a scorer, but he's not a great fit for us. Also don't think he's a PG. Maybe he could be a Monta Ellis type player someday

O_Gardino

Post by O_Gardino »

Sexton is a nice college player, and he does a lot of what college fans love. He's active and fiery and physical. There's nowhere in the NBA for short guys with no jumper or passing ability.

RE Bridges, I think I might be his biggest proponent on the board. Thank you, Split, for making all of my points. I do think that a Booker / Bridges / Jackson lineup would see Jackson as our 4 and Bridges as our 3.

I agree that drafting a guy to overstack positions is a standard McD mistake. But the fact remains that Mikal Bridges has the skillset, body, and competitiveness to be very very good.

Another common McD mistake is holding on to players too long. Picking up Bridges with a the 9ish pick is an opportunity to trade Warren and/or Jackson while they have value.

I honestly don't think we will be in that position, though.
The league needs heroes, villains... and clowns. -- Aztec Sunsfan

specialsauce

Post by specialsauce »

Split T wrote:
Shabazz wrote:RE Mikal, the idea would be that we also got someone like Ayton with an early pick who can pick up the rebounding slack. Or maybe sign Capela or trade TJ for a big.

Yep exactly how I feel.

There is no realistic scenario where I'd take him with our first pick(we'd have to go like 10-5 and finish with the 9th pick for me to consider it) but if we land someone like Ayton. I'd gladly move TJ to move up and take Bridges.
We don’t have the luxury to be drafting backups. We need to round out our starting 5.

Split T

Post by Split T »

Who do you see after the top 8 that could be our future starter at the 1 or 4/5?

I think I'm just less concerned about who is in the starting lineup. The Spurs brought Manu off the bench his whole career. Bridges, Booker, and Jackson can all easily get 35 minutes a game if they prove worthy.

O_Gardino

Post by O_Gardino »

specialsauce wrote:
Split T wrote:

Yep exactly how I feel.

We don’t have the luxury to be drafting backups. We need to round out our starting 5.
I would pick a very good player to come off the bench over an OK player to start. In the lottery, always draft best player available and work your roster around them.
The league needs heroes, villains... and clowns. -- Aztec Sunsfan

Split T

Post by Split T »

DeAndre Hunter for Virginia has been getting some sleeper consideration. An elite 3D prospect worth considering mid 1st

Shabazz

Post by Shabazz »

Josh Jackson is a nice fit at the 3 next to Booker. Mikal is a perfect fit.

specialsauce

Post by specialsauce »

Split T wrote:Who do you see after the top 8 that could be our future starter at the 1 or 4/5?

I think I'm just less concerned about who is in the starting lineup. The Spurs brought Manu off the bench his whole career. Bridges, Booker, and Jackson can all easily get 35 minutes a game if they prove worthy.
They can’t because they play minutes at the same positions. There’s only so many minutes available. If you’re realistically trying to beat the best teams in the league you’re not playing SFs at PF.

Neither of Jackson or Bridges can guard Favors, Love, Saric, Griffin, Durant/Green, Aldridge

JCSunsfan

Post by JCSunsfan »

We need a big and pg. We don't need a wing.

Ayton, Jackson, Bamba, Carter

and

Doncic, Young, Shai, Shake, Shamet

In2ition

Post by In2ition »

Ayton, Bagley, and Donic. Get the trifecta, haha
"When we all think alike, nobody is thinking" - Walter Lippmann
"Find out just what any people will quietly submit to and you have the exact measure of the injustice and wrong which will be imposed on them." ~ Frederick Douglass

In2ition

Post by In2ition »

Theo Pinson is interesting. Just makes plays all the time.
"When we all think alike, nobody is thinking" - Walter Lippmann
"Find out just what any people will quietly submit to and you have the exact measure of the injustice and wrong which will be imposed on them." ~ Frederick Douglass

Split T

Post by Split T »

specialsauce wrote:
Split T wrote:Who do you see after the top 8 that could be our future starter at the 1 or 4/5?

They can’t because they play minutes at the same positions. There’s only so many minutes available. If you’re realistically trying to beat the best teams in the league you’re not playing SFs at PF.

Neither of Jackson or Bridges can guard Favors, Love, Saric, Griffin, Durant/Green, Aldridge
Those guys don't play 48 minutes at pf. The jazz play Ingles at pf 15 minutes a game. Jackson or Bridges can't guard him?

We could also easily run Booker at PG and Bridges/Jackson at 2/3.

Even still, You can give them all 32 minutes at sg/SF without any of them spending any time at a single other position.

INFORMER

Post by INFORMER »

carey wrote:
Split T wrote:
INFORMER wrote:I'm starting to like Aaron Holiday as a point guard target with the Miami pick.
That's Jrue's younger brother right? Fits with our team philosophy.
I'd rather the Porter brothers. Jontay looks interesting as a stretch 5.
I really like Jontay.
Trendon Watford. Please and thank you.

INFORMER

Post by INFORMER »

iLLmatic wrote:
INFORMER wrote:I'm starting to like Aaron Holiday as a point guard target with the Miami pick.
You know that pick is getting traded.
You're probably right...unfortunately.

INFORMER

Post by INFORMER »

Shabazz wrote:I don't see how Mikal Bridges fails at the next level. He's really good. I'd package the MIA + MIL picks to grab him if we could.
I agree with your assessment of Bridges, but I don't see what the point is if we're keeping Warren and Jackson. Consolidating assets to trade up to draft another wing, even one as good as Bridges, doesn't seem to improve the team significantly.