2018 NBA Draft Thread

Discussion of the league and of our favorite team.
Mori Chu

Re: 2018 NBA Draft Thread

Post by Mori Chu »

SDC wrote:
Wed Jun 20, 2018 6:22 pm
so phoenix should trade for #4 to get who? JJJ? Mo Bamba? MPJ?
If we had #1 and #4 I wish we'd take Doncic at #1 and best big available at #4. Presumably Ayton would be gone, so whichever of JJJ or Bagley drops, right?

Split T

Post by Split T »

Ya, if we had 4 before we make the selection at 1, you have to go Doncic and then take JJJ at 4 if he drops. Probably Bamba if JJJ goes 3. I love Bagley, but the defensive bigs are better fits with Doncic.

Bruiser

Post by Bruiser »

Split T wrote:
Wed Jun 20, 2018 7:57 pm
Ya, if we had 4 before we make the selection at 1, you have to go Doncic and then take JJJ at 4 if he drops. Probably Bamba if JJJ goes 3. I love Bagley, but the defensive bigs are better fits with Doncic.
This is exactly my train of thought too. Would be excited to get Doncic and Bamba or Carter even. Not a big fan of Bagley. Will of course not hate other scenarios but 1. Doncic and then one of the remaining bigs via trade is my delusional best case scenario for today.

As it seems it might happen the other way around with that roumored Knicks deal. #Ayoungton
Last edited by Bruiser on Thu Jun 21, 2018 2:05 am, edited 1 time in total.

In2ition

Post by In2ition »

Bruiser wrote:
Thu Jun 21, 2018 1:56 am
Split T wrote:
Wed Jun 20, 2018 7:57 pm
This is exactly my train of thought too. Would be excited to get Doncic and Bamba or Carter even. Not a big fan of Bagley. Will of course not hate other scenarios but 1. Doncic and then one of the remaining bigs via trade is my delusional best case scenario for today.

As it seems it might happen the other way around with that roumored Knicks deal. #Ayoungton
You could possibly still have 31 if it wasn't included in the trade for 4 and pick Doncic, Porter, and Robinson.
"When we all think alike, nobody is thinking" - Walter Lippmann
"Find out just what any people will quietly submit to and you have the exact measure of the injustice and wrong which will be imposed on them." ~ Frederick Douglass

wpmiller42

Post by wpmiller42 »

Marty [Mori Chu] wrote:
Wed Jun 20, 2018 6:48 pm
SDC wrote:
Wed Jun 20, 2018 6:22 pm
so phoenix should trade for #4 to get who? JJJ? Mo Bamba? MPJ?
If we had #1 and #4 I wish we'd take Doncic at #1 and best big available at #4. Presumably Ayton would be gone, so whichever of JJJ or Bagley drops, right?
I honestly think teams are cooling a bit on Doncic. If somehow we were able to get #4, I think I would still take Ayton #1, and hope that Doncic slides to #4. If he's gone by then, I think you could play both JJJ and MPJ with Ayton. I love Bamba though, but he might not play as well with Ayton.

O_Gardino

Post by O_Gardino »

It's simple, guys.

1 - Doncic
16 - DiVincenzo
31 - Grayson Allen

We could run a lineup of:
Allen / DiVincenzo / Doncic / Peters / Len with Bender as a super 6th man subbing in for basically any one of these guys.

Wait. I feel like something is off about this lineup.
The league needs heroes, villains... and clowns. -- Aztec Sunsfan

O_Gardino

Post by O_Gardino »

carey wrote:
Wed Jun 20, 2018 2:46 pm
How do the Knicks deal with Noah and Parsons making all that money? Crazy.
I've been a big proponent of NY dumping Noah and getting active in free agency. It just seems like the Knicks thing to do.

But this actually makes some sense for them. They have one season of Frank / Mo learning the ropes. It's not tanking if it's player development! They get another top 5 pick, and KP comes back from his injury. They start the '19-'20 season with Ntilikina / (top 5 pick) / KP / Bamba and 2 expiring contracts. That's not a bad situation for them.

wpmiller42

Post by wpmiller42 »

The more I think about, I bet we could make an attractive offer to Atlanta for the #3 pick since there are reports out that they would like to get out from Schroder's contract. I like Schroder as a player, so maybe 16, 31, and our top-3 protected pick next year + Chriss gets it done? I don't know. But I think the market for getting rid of bad contracts isn't as good as it used to be since teams are sort of being more financially prudent.

Hopefully you can get Doncic at #3. Schroder becomes a very expensive leader of the 2nd unit, unless you want to try some sort of small lineup with Doncic at the SF spot and Jackson at the PF spot?

ShelC

Post by ShelC »

If you get Schroder, you go big at 3 with Bamba/Bagley/JJJ. You have to. I love the idea of Shroder/Booker/Jackson on the perimeter.

O_Gardino

Post by O_Gardino »

wpmiller42 wrote:
Thu Jun 21, 2018 8:00 am
The more I think about, I bet we could make an attractive offer to Atlanta for the #3 pick since there are reports out that they would like to get out from Schroder's contract. I like Schroder as a player, so maybe 16, 31, and our top-3 protected pick next year + Chriss gets it done? I don't know. But I think the market for getting rid of bad contracts isn't as good as it used to be since teams are sort of being more financially prudent.

Hopefully you can get Doncic at #3. Schroder becomes a very expensive leader of the 2nd unit, unless you want to try some sort of small lineup with Doncic at the SF spot and Jackson at the PF spot?
Schroeder and Knight wreaking havoc on the second unit for 3 more years at 30 million a year? That #3 pick had better be good. I'd consider it, though I wouldn't give up as much as you suggest. We gave up Bledsoe for salary relief + a middling pick. They aren't getting multiple picks, a prospect, and salary relief.

djy2j

Post by djy2j »

I'm off Schroeder. He's Rondo's moodiness without the skill or accolades.
The artist formerly known as Y2JJEDIPIMP on .net

"Just like Neal Armstrong I went to space and now I'm back..."

carey

Post by carey »

djy2j wrote:
Thu Jun 21, 2018 8:33 am
I haven't heard about the character concerns, but I will say that I don't know if you can successfully run a team without a reliable 3-point shot. He has elite quickness & finishing ability. His FT% is great. He just can't shoot from range. His game is very similar to Bledsoe's.
Go Suns!

Og Snus!

ShelC

Post by ShelC »

Shroder's a starter, not sure what this 2nd unit stuff is all about.

djy2j

Post by djy2j »

carey wrote:
Thu Jun 21, 2018 8:48 am
djy2j wrote:
I haven't heard about the character concerns, but I will say that I don't know if you can successfully run a team without a reliable 3-point shot. He has elite quickness & finishing ability. His FT% is great. He just can't shoot from range. His game is very similar to Bledsoe's.
Yeah I can't find any past links on his moodiness but i know I've read about it multiple times. He has been arrested for battery in an Atlanta hookah bar and was also suspended for kicking DeMarcus Cousins in the groin. I just think he has a temper about him that doesn't really interest me since he hasn't had much team success in the NBA.
The artist formerly known as Y2JJEDIPIMP on .net

"Just like Neal Armstrong I went to space and now I'm back..."

O_Gardino

Post by O_Gardino »

djy2j wrote:
Thu Jun 21, 2018 9:03 am
carey wrote:
djy2j wrote:
Yeah I can't find any past links on his moodiness but i know I've read about it multiple times. He has been arrested for battery in an Atlanta hookah bar and was also suspended for kicking DeMarcus Cousins in the groin. I just think he has a temper about him that doesn't really interest me since he hasn't had much team success in the NBA.
He's not moody; he's German. :lol:

(I know, I know, this is why so few german visit the site.)
(That's my second racist joke today! I'm on a roll!)

Superbone

Post by Superbone »

And it begins:

https://twitter.com/wojespn/status/1009617255095787520

"Be Legendary."

Bruiser

Post by Bruiser »

O_Gardino wrote:
Thu Jun 21, 2018 9:10 am
djy2j wrote:
carey wrote:
djy2j wrote:

Not all of us are like him :)

Even though I love the idea of somehow getting Doncic with the 3rd pick, I am not a big fan of Schroeder and that is putting it mildly. I hated watching him play alongside Dirk a few years ago.

I am convinced however that Doncic will go top three but if he is somehow still there at 4 and we can make a deal with Memphis I would be fine with paying a premium for him. Big time. Don't see it happening though.

We will know in a few hours, I guess ...

O_Gardino

Post by O_Gardino »

Bruiser wrote:
Thu Jun 21, 2018 10:14 am
O_Gardino wrote:
Thu Jun 21, 2018 9:10 am
djy2j wrote:
carey wrote:
djy2j wrote:

Not all of us are like him :)

Even though I love the idea of somehow getting Doncic with the 3rd pick, I am not a big fan of Schroeder and that is putting it mildly. I hated watching him play alongside Dirk a few years ago.

I am convinced however that Doncic will go top three but if he is somehow still there at 4 and we can make a deal with Memphis I would be fine with paying a premium for him. Big time. Don't see it happening though.

We will know in a few hours, I guess ...
Thanks for taking my dumb joke with a smile. :)

specialsauce

Post by specialsauce »

Man I hope the Suns offer up every asset outside of Booker Jackson and #1 pick to nab Doncic as well

TOO

Post by TOO »

specialsauce wrote:
Thu Jun 21, 2018 11:02 am
Man I hope the Suns offer up every asset outside of Booker Jackson and #1 pick to nab Doncic as well
Same.
👀 Fire Frank Vogel.