2018 NBA Draft Thread

Discussion of the league and of our favorite team.
Shabazz

2018 NBA Draft Thread

Post by Shabazz »

Never too early to start talking draft since we're clearly a lottery team.

As of yesterday it looked like a clear top 4 in Porter, Doncic, Ayton and Bamba. And today this bombshell was dropped:

https://www.sbnation.com/platform/amp/c ... -nba-draft

That's 3-5 transcendent talents in the draft. We'll have plenty of competition for those bottom spots from the Eastern Conference.

O_Gardino

Re: 2018 NBA Draft Thread

Post by O_Gardino »

I now think it is a very good idea to start both Chriss and Bender, and to play Knight a lot trying to rebuild his value.
The league needs heroes, villains... and clowns. -- Aztec Sunsfan

Split T

Post by Split T »

Just came here to post that. If Bagley is in this draft, I'm ok tanking again.

In2ition

Post by In2ition »

Aren't they also talking about possibly removing the 1 and done? That could add Zion Williamson, RJ Barrett, and others.
"When we all think alike, nobody is thinking" - Walter Lippmann
"Find out just what any people will quietly submit to and you have the exact measure of the injustice and wrong which will be imposed on them." ~ Frederick Douglass

specialsauce

Post by specialsauce »

Tank Train ready for departure......

Split T

Post by Split T »

In2ition wrote:Aren't they also talking about possibly removing the 1 and done? That could add Zion Williamson, RJ Barrett, and others.
I think Barrett is a class below. He's 2020 draft right now.

Split T

Post by Split T »

I actually spent some time the other day looking at the top prospects for this draft. In theory, it could be another really good draft.

The top 4 (5 if Bagley reclassifies)

Bagley would go #1 right now, he's got all the skills in a 6'11 body. He could be the closest thing we've seen to KG

Doncic has produced at an unprecedented level for his age in the top European league. He's not a great athlete, but he can shoot, dribble and pass with the best of them. Just a very advanced and complete offensive game for his age.

Ayton is huge and skilled. 7'5 wingspan. He looks like a great rebounder. Maybe a Drummond like player with a decent shot.

Bomba is a physical freak. Longer wingspan (7'9) than Gobert. He's pretty mobile as well.

Porter Jr. looks like a 3/4 combo forward who can score inside and out. Good athlete, good perimeter skills, good size.

The returnees:

Bridges is a small ball 4 that probably has to play the 3 as he's not very long, but he does have good perimeter skills. 6'6 with a good body, he's very athletic, can shoot a bit, and can create a little.

Williams is 6'9 but super long (7'4 wingspan) and super athletic. Incredible finisher and shot blocker.

Justin Jackson: long(7'3 wingspan) can play 3/4, shot 44% from 3

Other freshman:

Collin Sexton and Trevon Duvall: athletic pg's with shaky jumpers

Wendell Carter: 6'10 260, skilled in post and as a passer out of the post. Has good length and moves well.

Jaren Jackson Jr.: long skinny athletic shotblocker who stretches the floor.

Mitchell Robinson: long athletic shotblocker

Isaac Bonga: International PG, 6'10 but a questionable athlete.

Disclaimer: I haven't really watched any of these guys, just read scouting reports. In theory, outside the top 5, I'm really intrigued by the idea of Wendell Carter. He's a more traditional big that doesn't always fit today's game, but he can shoot a little and play D. His offensive skills would be a nice counter to small ball.

Shabazz

Post by Shabazz »

I watched a bunch of Doncic video. He reminded me of a taller, less attack-y Dragic with a better outside shot.

In2ition

Post by In2ition »

Split T wrote:
In2ition wrote:Aren't they also talking about possibly removing the 1 and done? That could add Zion Williamson, RJ Barrett, and others.
I think Barrett is a class below. He's 2020 draft right now.
I think he's supposed to make his decision on reclassifying in August. With the way he dominated the U19 USA team with great athletes, I wouldn't be surprised at all if he moves up a class.
"Find out just what any people will quietly submit to and you have the exact measure of the injustice and wrong which will be imposed on them." ~ Frederick Douglass

ShelC

Post by ShelC »

We should've drafted a PG this year, sold off Bledsoe and Knight, tanked and filled the SF or C positions in 2018.

Cap

Post by Cap »

We should've drafted BPA this year. Hopefully, that's JJ.

Though I have to admit I'm a little nervous about having a guy named Josh with a big afro.

Shabazz

Post by Shabazz »

Cap wrote:We should've drafted BPA this year. Hopefully, that's JJ.

Though I have to admit I'm a little nervous about having a guy named Josh with a big afro.
...and a funky shooting form.

n4th4n

Post by n4th4n »

Vegas has the Suns at second worst in the league with 500/1 odds to win the NBA championship. This is typically a pretty accurate predictor as to where teams are going to fall. I would say we are almost guaranteed to finish in the bottom 5 next year. Hopefully, this can be the year we finally luck out in the lotto. Then we can add one last good, young piece to the roster. A core of Booker/Bender/JJ/Top 5/(Chriss???) looks pretty sexy. We should then try to consolidate the rest of our assets/players in a play for a veteran difference maker. I would make next year's Maimi pick, and one of our upcoming picks available in such a move. I'd like to keep the 2021 Miami pick at all costs as that could be a huge wildcard in a few years. 2018-2019 is when we can start really making a push for relevance. A lot still hangs in the balance, but I am optimistic for our future.

Mori Chu

Post by Mori Chu »

Hopefully, this can be the year we finally luck out in the lotto.
Statistically that is unlikely to happen, in terms of us having the 5-6th worst record but moving up into the top 3. More likely we'll have the 5-6th worst record and end up with the 5-6-7th pick. But if next draft is strong, that pick could still net us a high-impact player.

carey

Post by carey »

I think we finish with a bottom 3 record again, honestly.
Go Suns!

Og Snus!

In2ition

Post by In2ition »

The Suns may have a better team this year, but a worse record. Just hope they don't panic or make panic moves. If they coould try to get another top 5 pick, they would be set to go into free agency or make a trade next year.

Split T

Post by Split T »

Who is worse than us next year?

I think it's probably us and the Lakers in the bottom of the West. Dallas and Sacramento could get involved. A team like Memphis or New Orleans could be tank and trade off their players if they struggle. Still, I think we're bottom 4 in the West.

Brooklyn will be bad again out east. Detroit, Chicago, Indiana, Atlanta, Orlando, and New York are probably the other lottery teams but I have no idea in what order. And some of those teams (Indy, Detroit, New York) will win more games than they should because the East sucks.

My guess is we finish somewhere in the bottom 8.

In2ition

Post by In2ition »

Damn, we will suck again!

carey

Post by carey »

The problem with those East teams is that they can be worse than us and still win more games than us by virtue of playing more games against bad teams in the East. It's why I think we'll end up being bottom 3.
Go Suns!

Og Snus!

n4th4n

Post by n4th4n »

Marty [Mori Chu] wrote:
Hopefully, this can be the year we finally luck out in the lotto.
Statistically that is unlikely to happen, in terms of us having the 5-6th worst record but moving up into the top 3. More likely we'll have the 5-6th worst record and end up with the 5-6-7th pick. But if next draft is strong, that pick could still net us a high-impact player.
Oh yes. I understand that each lotto is an independent statistical event. And that this year we will likely finish higher than we did last year. And that our odds will be worse than they have been in quite some time. But a man can dream, can't he?! He can hope and dream. He can hope and dream and pray to the lottery gods, and somehow find a way to endure another long losing season.

Or a man can drink.

More.

A lot more.

Yes. Yes, I think that is the answer.