2018 NBA Draft Thread

Discussion of the league and of our favorite team.
Indy

Re: 2018 NBA Draft Thread

Post by Indy »

Ring_Wanted wrote:Don't look now guys, but with Miami's victory over Milwaukee, the Buck's pick is now at #16 and comes to us.

Miami is currently #23.

PHX is still #8 (three wins away from a top3 pick).

According to tankathon, we also have #37, #41, #49 and #57.

We really need to be doing something this trade deadline.
No kidding. It would be silly for us to keep all of these picks this year. At some point you need to have something to show for all of your assets besides something on the balance sheet. We are well under the cap, have guys that could really help other contenders (and pretenders), and other picks to make it more enticing. We need to get somebody to pair with Booker if we want to keep him in Phoenix.

O_Gardino

Post by O_Gardino »

n4th4n wrote:Excluding OG Isiah Thomas, championships are won by players 6'6 and over. And PGs are a dime a dozen. Give me Doncic, Ayton, or Bagley over Young.
Nobody is advocating drafting the shortest guy just to have a short guy. That would be silly. But drafting the biggest defensive anchor just because he's big is equally silly. Traditional big defensive anchors just don't have the impact that they used to have, because every foul is called against them.

I'll post the list again. http://bkref.com/tiny/sq8TB Love, Aldridge, Horford, and Green are the best "bigs" to win a playoff series. Guys like Gobert, Whiteside, Jordan, Marc Gasol, and Howard just don't win in the playoffs. They just don't. And that will only change if the NBA lets the game get more physical again.

The rules have changed since centers dominated the NBA. You need the best perimeter guys you can get, and play your tallest perimeter guy as a center.

I'm currently at Doncic, Young, Bagley. Doncic may drop behind those guys. His skill level is amazing, but he doesn't have the motor those other two have. I also like Mikal Bridges a lot more than any of the mock drafts. He's probably in my top 5.
The league needs heroes, villains... and clowns. -- Aztec Sunsfan

TOO

Post by TOO »

O_Gardino wrote:
n4th4n wrote:Excluding OG Isiah Thomas, championships are won by players 6'6 and over. And PGs are a dime a dozen. Give me Doncic, Ayton, or Bagley over Young.
Nobody is advocating drafting the shortest guy just to have a short guy. That would be silly. But drafting the biggest defensive anchor just because he's big is equally silly. Traditional big defensive anchors just don't have the impact that they used to have, because every foul is called against them.

I'll post the list again. http://bkref.com/tiny/sq8TB Love, Aldridge, Horford, and Green are the best "bigs" to win a playoff series. Guys like Gobert, Whiteside, Jordan, Marc Gasol, and Howard just don't win in the playoffs. They just don't. And that will only change if the NBA lets the game get more physical again.

The rules have changed since centers dominated the NBA. You need the best perimeter guys you can get, and play your tallest perimeter guy as a center.

I'm currently at Doncic, Young, Bagley. Doncic may drop behind those guys. His skill level is amazing, but he doesn't have the motor those other two have. I also like Mikal Bridges a lot more than any of the mock drafts. He's probably in my top 5.
Dont forget Doncic is going against grown professionals. The bigs you listed that don't win in the playoffs (aside from Gasol) are just guys that rely on finishing at the rim with dunks to do anything offensively. They aren't a force offensively. There aren't a lot of bigs that win things now, because there aren't a lot of good 2way big men. Specialization has killed a lot of all around skill sets. I still take the good 2 way big over the little every time.
👀 Fire Frank Vogel.

O_Gardino

Post by O_Gardino »

Indy wrote:
Ring_Wanted wrote:Don't look now guys, but with Miami's victory over Milwaukee, the Buck's pick is now at #16 and comes to us.

Miami is currently #23.

No kidding. It would be silly for us to keep all of these picks this year. At some point you need to have something to show for all of your assets besides something on the balance sheet. We are well under the cap, have guys that could really help other contenders (and pretenders), and other picks to make it more enticing. We need to get somebody to pair with Booker if we want to keep him in Phoenix.
Rubio for Greg Monroe? I'm not sure who else I want that isn't on a team fighting for playoff position. Maybe the NJ pick is up for sale, or maybe we can swap a 2nd for a first by sending Daniels to Bonston. Who would you like to pick up at the deadline?

I think we have a legit chance to pick up Kevin Love for Warren or Chriss and a draft pick this offseason. Anthony Davis may also be on the market then.

Indy

Post by Indy »

O_Gardino wrote:
Indy wrote:

Miami is currently #23.

Rubio for Greg Monroe? I'm not sure who else I want that isn't on a team fighting for playoff position. Maybe the NJ pick is up for sale, or maybe we can swap a 2nd for a first by sending Daniels to Bonston. Who would you like to pick up at the deadline?

I think we have a legit chance to pick up Kevin Love for Warren or Chriss and a draft pick this offseason. Anthony Davis may also be on the market then.
Are there any other teams in the top 8 that have a high pick from someone else this year (besides Cleveland)?

n4th4n

Post by n4th4n »

Indy wrote:
O_Gardino wrote:
Indy wrote:

Miami is currently #23.

Are there any other teams in the top 8 that have a high pick from someone else this year (besides Cleveland)?
Boston has the Laker's pick if it falls between 2-5.

Indy

Post by Indy »

n4th4n wrote:
Indy wrote:
O_Gardino wrote:
Indy wrote:

Miami is currently #23.

Boston has the Laker's pick if it falls between 2-5.
I am betting they end up some where between 4-7, but will move into the top 5. Does Boston need one of our bigs to help out Horford? It seems like they are getting enough rotation minutes from their other guys, and they are leading the east, so they may feel they are good. But they could use a 2nd shooter in the back court to take pressure off Kyrie.

O_Gardino

Post by O_Gardino »

Let's send Booker.

Ring_Wanted

Post by Ring_Wanted »

Indy wrote: I am betting they end up some where between 4-7, but will move into the top 5. Does Boston need one of our bigs to help out Horford? It seems like they are getting enough rotation minutes from their other guys, and they are leading the east, so they may feel they are good. But they could use a 2nd shooter in the back court to take pressure off Kyrie.
Boston was in need of rebounding last season but Chandler would never be a target by Ainge given his contract, I am afraid. Len could have been a candidate but their need for him is gone since they went and acquired Aron Bynes on the cheap in free agency (one year, $4.3M).

Ring_Wanted

Post by Ring_Wanted »

O_Gardino wrote:Rubio for Greg Monroe?
Has crossed my mind, but still hesitant. Can't have so many guys who can't shoot.

n4th4n

Post by n4th4n »

Ring_Wanted wrote:
Has crossed my mind, but still hesitant. Can't have so many guys who can't shoot.
Same thought has crossed my mind! Strangely, I think trading for Rubio would add shooting and spacing to our team in a sort of roundabout way by allowing Booker to play more off ball. Plus, Rubio shoots better (marginally) than Ulis. I don't know if Monroe would be enough to get it done. Maybe if we took back one more contract in the trade. Burks perhaps? Would we have to throw in another player and a second round pick or two?

O_Gardino

Post by O_Gardino »

n4th4n wrote:
Ring_Wanted wrote:
Same thought has crossed my mind! Strangely, I think trading for Rubio would add shooting and spacing to our team in a sort of roundabout way by allowing Booker to play more off ball. Plus, Rubio shoots better (marginally) than Ulis. I don't know if Monroe would be enough to get it done. Maybe if we took back one more contract in the trade. Burks perhaps? Would we have to throw in another player and a second round pick or two?
The shooting is a real concern, and at some point you have to replace Rubio. But in the short term, Rubio helps the development of Jackson / Chriss / Bender because they know the ball will find them if they get open. And I think Warren could average 25 with Rubio feeding him. So maybe our other assets gain a lot of value playing with Ricky in the short term.

As for trade options, it really depends on whether Utah is ready to blow it up. I think Rubio + Thabo for Monroe works, and we take 20ish million in salaries off their books. Maybe that's enough. If not, I don't know what we have to offer. A late first?

Superbone

Post by Superbone »

O_Gardino wrote:Let's send Booker.
You wanna be tarred and feathered?
"Be Legendary."

O_Gardino

Post by O_Gardino »

Superbone wrote:
O_Gardino wrote:Let's send Booker.
You wanna be tarred and feathered?
Nope! I just don't know what we have that Boston would want.

Mori Chu

Post by Mori Chu »

Did somebody say ... Ricky Rubio??

Cap

Post by Cap »

Can we like, set a limit on how many times per year that pic can be posted?

Superbone

Post by Superbone »

Cap wrote:Can we like, set a limit on how many times per year that pic can be posted?
It's supposed to be to shame Marty. It doesn't work if he himself posts it.
"Be Legendary."

Mori Chu

Post by Mori Chu »

My love for Ru-bae-o has become shameless.

carey

Re: RE: Re: 2018 NBA Draft Thread

Post by carey »

Marty [Mori Chu] wrote:My love for Ru-bae-o has become shameless.
And senseless. At least pine after someone good.
Go Suns!

Og Snus!

INFORMER

Post by INFORMER »

Indy wrote:

Miami is currently #23.

Ugh, this is what I don't want. We have underwhelming prospects on this roster and I don't like getting rid of picks in a very good draft just because of some foolish notion that we have too many young players.

I'm fine with strategically packaging picks for worthwhile prospects, but too many times in the past it has felt like we have done this just to decrease the number of rookies being brought in.
Trendon Watford. Please and thank you.