2018 NBA Draft Thread

Discussion of the league and of our favorite team.
O_Gardino

Re: 2018 NBA Draft Thread

Post by O_Gardino »

JCSunsfan wrote:
specialsauce wrote:I would really love Bagley Ayton or Doncic

PASS on a rookie who already needed back surgery. That is way more concerning than something like an ACL. He is almost surely going to have issues down the road.
Yeah. I think I am in the same place.

Unless we are picking 9th or something.
9th isn't unreasonable for where the standings are right now.
The league needs heroes, villains... and clowns. -- Aztec Sunsfan

Split T

Post by Split T »

I'm team Bagley or team Doncic

Ayton is #3

After that I'm still deciding between Jaren Jackson, Robert Williams, Mo Bamba, Wendell Carter, and Colin Sexton

Shabazz

Post by Shabazz »

I have some defensive concerns with Bagley, but I'd be thrilled if we got him. I think my orders is the same as yours, Split. 1. Doncic/Bagley, 3. Ayton, 4. Bamba, 5. a few others.

I've had a microdiscectomy. It's not the most serious surgery, but you're basically left with a ruptured disc that could re-rupture at any time, which could lead to a spinal fusion. That's a possible career-ender.

O_Gardino

Post by O_Gardino »

Any interest in Bridges?

I know, I know. But barring more injuries, we aren't likely to have a top 5 pick. Doncic, Bagley, Ayton, Bamba are likely all gone when we pick. It's possible Miles Bridges will be BPA at one of our picks.

In2ition

Post by In2ition »

Shabazz wrote:I have some defensive concerns with Bagley, but I'd be thrilled if we got him. I think my orders is the same as yours, Split. 1. Doncic/Bagley, 3. Ayton, 4. Bamba, 5. a few others.

I've had a microdiscectomy. It's not the most serious surgery, but you're basically left with a ruptured disc that could re-rupture at any time, which could lead to a spinal fusion. That's a possible career-ender.
My idea scenario for the Suns might be Bagley with their pick, Robinson with the Miami pick or if he's gone, Porter Jr. If Milwaukee pick is sent to the Suns this year, a pg (not quite sure yet who though). There are a number that I like, a sleeper is the ND pg, Matt Farrell. Smart, good shooter, winner, tough defender, good vision.
"When we all think alike, nobody is thinking" - Walter Lippmann
"Find out just what any people will quietly submit to and you have the exact measure of the injustice and wrong which will be imposed on them." ~ Frederick Douglass

In2ition

Post by In2ition »

O_Gardino wrote:Any interest in Bridges?

I know, I know. But barring more injuries, we aren't likely to have a top 5 pick. Doncic, Bagley, Ayton, Bamba are likely all gone when we pick. It's possible Miles Bridges will be BPA at one of our picks.
Not a big fan of Bridges, and I like Jaren Jackson Jr and Cassius Winston better. I'm hoping that someone else takes him before the Suns pick.
"Find out just what any people will quietly submit to and you have the exact measure of the injustice and wrong which will be imposed on them." ~ Frederick Douglass

Shabazz

Post by Shabazz »

I think my ideal scenario includes Doncic with our first pick and someone like Robert Williams with the Miami pick. There are a few other talented centers who could fall there as well.

Superbone

Post by Superbone »

In2ition wrote:
Shabazz wrote:I have some defensive concerns with Bagley, but I'd be thrilled if we got him. I think my orders is the same as yours, Split. 1. Doncic/Bagley, 3. Ayton, 4. Bamba, 5. a few others.

My idea scenario for the Suns might be Bagley with their pick, Robinson with the Miami pick or if he's gone, Porter Jr. If Milwaukee pick is sent to the Suns this year, a pg (not quite sure yet who though). There are a number that I like, a sleeper is the ND pg, Matt Farrell. Smart, good shooter, winner, tough defender, good vision.
I'm not sure we can take on three more rookies next year. How would we work that? Who do we get rid of? How do we get rid of them? Do we consolidate via trades?
"Be Legendary."

TOO

Post by TOO »

I keep seeing Beasley when I see Bagley.. Help!
Jones and Vogel gotta go.

In2ition

Post by In2ition »

TheOriginalOriginal wrote:I keep seeing B*****y when I see Bagley.. Help!
Do you see a not so bright pot head? That's what I see when I see Beasley.

TOO

Post by TOO »

In2ition wrote:
TheOriginalOriginal wrote:I keep seeing B*****y when I see Bagley.. Help!
Do you see a not so bright pot head? That's what I see when I see B*****y.
No, I see the kid that destroyed college basketball to the tune of 26/12. Could get whatever he wanted but didnt really know how to play basketball.

TOO

Post by TOO »

Maybe its the tall lefty thing. IDK what it is.

In2ition

Post by In2ition »

TheOriginalOriginal wrote:Maybe its the tall lefty thing. IDK what it is.
I understand where you see the similarities. I will say this, Bagley is a bright eyed, smart, thoughtful, and willing worker who is eager to learn and get better. He's not a 3-4 tweener, but he might be 4-5 tweener.

Split T

Post by Split T »

Bagley is a lot bigger and a lot more athletic than Beasley

Split T

Post by Split T »

I think Bridges is fine as a prospect, but I have no interest in him here. He's a 3/4 tweener that doesn't really fit here with all our other 3's and 4's. I'd definitely rather have Jackson and we're pretty committed to Warren. He's probably a better overall player than Bender or Chriss, but I don't buy him as a defensive player at the 4.

O_Gardino

Post by O_Gardino »

In2ition wrote:

Not a big fan of Bridges, and I like Jaren Jackson Jr and Cassius Winston better. I'm hoping that someone else takes him before the Suns pick.
Never heard of Winston. Neither has NBADraft.Net or the Stepien. What's the scoop on him?

Split T wrote:

I think Bridges is fine as a prospect, but I have no interest in him here. He's a 3/4 tweener that doesn't really fit here with all our other 3's and 4's. I'd definitely rather have Jackson and we're pretty committed to Warren. He's probably a better overall player than Bender or Chriss, but I don't buy him as a defensive player at the 4.
I think Miles is solidly a 3, I like that he can handle, shoot, and pass a little. I don't love his game, but I'm looking more and more at guys available 7 and lower. There are lots of 3s and 4s. We are going to have more interesting decisions with fit and an overfull roster again this summer.

I hope that we aren't too committed to Warren the way we were too committed to Bledsoe.

n4th4n

Post by n4th4n »

Split T wrote:

It's 2017. Being a tweener is no longer a bad thing, it's a GREAT thing. Long, switchable 6'6-6'9 athletes are the cornerstones of the best teams in the league.

Split T

Post by Split T »

The problem is I think he leans toward tweener in the wrong way. He's SF sized with a PF game. And I mean that more in the star sense. He's a good enough shooter, rebounder, and passer to be a good NBA player and that doesn't bring his athleticism into the picture. If he was a bit bigger, he could be a star at PF.

I just think his offensive game is a little to reliant on just being bigger, stronger, and more athletic right now. In the NBA he'll be reliant on his teammates to get him points. He's a good finisher and shooter, but not much of a creator off the dribble. He could develop that skill, but I still see him more as a solid role player in the NBA. He's got a stretch 4 game in a SF body.

Again, I think he'll be a good player, but I don't think he's better than the two guys we already have at his position.

specialsauce

Post by specialsauce »

I don’t think we should withhold acquiring a player via draft/FA/trade because they play the same position as Bender or Chriss. Neither is worth passing on talent and building around. Now I wouldn’t get a SG because Booker is locked in. He’s about the only player I would make future decisions around. If Bender/Chriss becomes redundant because we acquire a superior talent, just bring them off the bench and/or get rid of them.

I agree with Split that if you don’t think said player is better than what we already have, that’s a different issue.

Split T

Post by Split T »

For the record I meant Jackson and Warren as the two guys at Bridges position not Bender and Chriss. I do think Bridges is better than Bender and Chriss, just not sure he can play the 4 full time in the NBA