2018 NBA Draft Thread

Discussion of the league and of our favorite team.
Split T

Re: 2018 NBA Draft Thread

Post by Split T »

I don't know what to think about Capela. He's been great for Houston, would he be as good here? Does it even matter, is there any chance Houston doesn't match?

specialsauce

Post by specialsauce »

Shabazz wrote:
In2ition wrote:It's probably not that Capela is worth a Max, but how good a fit he would be for the team.and what would it take to pry him away from the Rockets.
This.

He's everything Deandre Jordan is with better free throw shooting and better defense.
You can’t just say It’s not about if he’s worth the max lol. You’re talking about paying a max deal to Capela. If he’s not worth a max deal, that is suicide. Otherwise we can just throw that term around to any FA we think would be a great fit to our team. We can max Dedmon and Patrick Beverly because they’d bring defense, toughness and leadership.

Shabazz

Post by Shabazz »

specialsauce wrote:
Shabazz wrote:
In2ition wrote:It's probably not that Capela is worth a Max, but how good a fit he would be for the team.and what would it take to pry him away from the Rockets.
This.

He's everything Deandre Jordan is with better free throw shooting and better defense.
You can’t just say It’s not about if he’s worth the max lol. You’re talking about paying a max deal to Capela. If he’s not worth a max deal, that is suicide. Otherwise we can just throw that term around to any FA we think would be a great fit to our team. We can max Dedmon and Patrick Beverly because they’d bring defense, toughness and leadership.
I think he's unequivocally worth a max offer.

In2ition

Post by In2ition »

specialsauce wrote:
Shabazz wrote:
This.

It's the pitfalls of Restricted Free Agency. It also puts pressure on Houston and cripples them a bit if they either match it or lose him. I think Capela could be worth the max if you NEED & USE him to the max, or he is the exact missing piece and fits perfectly.
"When we all think alike, nobody is thinking" - Walter Lippmann
"Find out just what any people will quietly submit to and you have the exact measure of the injustice and wrong which will be imposed on them." ~ Frederick Douglass

specialsauce

Post by specialsauce »

In2ition wrote:
specialsauce wrote:
Shabazz wrote:
This.

It's the pitfalls of Restricted Free Agency. It also puts pressure on Houston and cripples them a bit if they either match it or lose him. I think Capela could be worth the max if you NEED & USE him to the max, or he is the exact missing piece and fits perfectly.
Okay, I think we are so many pieces away. We need another superstar ( I’m not convinced Josh is going to make it to that level). I do not think a core of Booker Jackson +our pick + Capela gets us to a title. Which is essentially what you’re telling yourself if you max Capela. We max Capela, extend Booker and that’s basically all of our cap space and we’re done building our roster for the most part. It is the kind of deal that was given to Ibaka and is a death sentence. You absolutely do not max role players to me, no matter how much you like them. Restricted FA isn’t a reason to overpay.

Split T

Post by Split T »

specialsauce wrote:
In2ition wrote:
specialsauce wrote:
Shabazz wrote:
This.

Okay, I think we are so many pieces away. We need another superstar ( I’m not convinced Josh is going to make it to that level). I do not think a core of Booker Jackson +our pick + Capela gets us to a title. Which is essentially what you’re telling yourself if you max Capela. We max Capela, extend Booker and that’s basically all of our cap space and we’re done building our roster for the most part. It is the kind of deal that was given to Ibaka and is a death sentence. You absolutely do not max role players to me, no matter how much you like them. Restricted FA isn’t a reason to overpay.
I think maxing Capela is a mistake as well, but I do want to point out that free agency isn't the only way to bring in talent. We'd still have draft picks and young pieces we can move around. This is just to say that whatever we do with our cap space this summer, it doesn't have to be our final piece. We'd still have options to build the team.

In2ition

Post by In2ition »

specialsauce wrote:
In2ition wrote:
specialsauce wrote:
Shabazz wrote:
This.

Let me be perfectly clear, with the scenario you just laid out, I agree with you entirely. I too think more needs to be done before Capela is thought of as the last missing piece.
"Find out just what any people will quietly submit to and you have the exact measure of the injustice and wrong which will be imposed on them." ~ Frederick Douglass

specialsauce

Post by specialsauce »

In2ition wrote:
specialsauce wrote:
In2ition wrote:
specialsauce wrote:
Shabazz wrote:
This.

Let me be perfectly clear, with the scenario you just laid out, I agree with you entirely. I too think more needs to be done before Capela is thought of as the last missing piece.
Okay fair enough . I would like Capela on this team don’t get me wrong, I just want our stars locked up first. Get me Kawhi and somehow add Capela and I’m sold on a Booker Leonard Jackson/Doncic Capela core

In2ition

Post by In2ition »

specialsauce wrote:
In2ition wrote:
specialsauce wrote:
In2ition wrote:
specialsauce wrote:
Okay fair enough . I would like Capela on this team don’t get me wrong, I just want our stars locked up first. Get me Kawhi and somehow add Capela and I’m sold on a Booker Leonard Jackson/Doncic Capela core
I think we're on the same page or damn close to it.

carey

Post by carey »

https://twitter.com/DraftExpress/status/987037136745648129

Go Suns!

Og Snus!

specialsauce

Post by specialsauce »

carey wrote:

https://twitter.com/DraftExpress/status/987037136745648129

He stinks of Dragan Bender. Except he won’t be a top 5 pick so it’s okay to take that risk

specialsauce

Post by specialsauce »

In2ition wrote:
specialsauce wrote:
In2ition wrote:
specialsauce wrote:
In2ition wrote: It's the pitfalls of Restricted Free Agency. It also puts pressure on Houston and cripples them a bit if they either match it or lose him. I think Capela could be worth the max if you NEED & USE him to the max, or he is the exact missing piece and fits perfectly.
I think we're on the same page or damn close to it.
Wow we agreed :shock: :lol:

UglyTruth

Post by UglyTruth »

I hope all the Luka Doncic fans are watching the playoffs. Second game in a row that he’s complete ass.

https://twitter.com/KellanOlson/status/987036574876446720

specialsauce

Post by specialsauce »

Saw some highlights. He was definitely being bullied and he lost his discipline under pressure. Lots of bad passes, caught in the air with nowhere to go a few times, and he looked slow. When he changes speeds ala Nash he overcomes his lack of quickness, but he has to exert a LOT of energy doing that.

TOO

Post by TOO »

I love draft season, just pick apart every prospect in every way possible.
👀 Fire Frank Vogel.

specialsauce

Post by specialsauce »

I can’t believe we have to wait another month before the lottery. We’ve been talking about these players for an entire year almost. I just need to know what pick we get for my sanity and then I need to know who we ultimately draft for my sanity and I need to know if that player ends up being a bust or star for my sanity. How’s that for a run on sentence?

Superbone

Post by Superbone »

specialsauce wrote:I can’t believe we have to wait another month before the lottery. We’ve been talking about these players for an entire year almost. I just need to know what pick we get for my sanity and then I need to know who we ultimately draft for my sanity and I need to know if that player ends up being a bust or star for my sanity. How’s that for a run on sentence?
Yup, it's really tough on the patience. Another month before the lottery and then another month after that for the draft.
"Be Legendary."

INFORMER

Post by INFORMER »

TheOriginalOriginal wrote:I love draft season, just pick apart every prospect in every way possible.
Haha, so true. If you try hard enough, you can make a case for why all of these prospects suck.
Trendon Watford. Please and thank you.

INFORMER

Post by INFORMER »

Ring_Wanted wrote:I'd put 12M per on the table easily for Dedmon. 15M per with incentives. I know it sounds crazy but he'd be my gamble under Bud.

Would also try to trade for Millsap.

Doncic-Booker-Jackson-Millsap-Dedmon plus the aftermath from the trades.

Also do the math on how much cap space I can add if I stretch Chandler and Knight, assuming I can't use Chandler-Dudley in a sign and trade for talent under contract.
I'd prefer to target Kenneth Faried over Millsap.
Trendon Watford. Please and thank you.

Split T

Post by Split T »

https://www.thestepien.com/2018/04/19/o ... in-bagley/

Here is a fun article breaking down Bagley and Ayton