2018 NBA Draft Thread

Discussion of the league and of our favorite team.
Cap

Re: 2018 NBA Draft Thread

Post by Cap »

TheOriginalOriginal wrote:
Flagrant Fowl wrote:I have a Doncic erection. A Donciection?
You may wanna have someone take a Luka at that... :shock:
:lol:

Shabazz

Post by Shabazz »

I've said it before, but I'd be pretty happy with any of the players projected to go top-5.

Split T

Post by Split T »

I'm still unsure on Bamba, I want to see him play, but there's some real talents in this draft. I'm pretty excited.

TOO

Post by TOO »

I'm most intrigued by Bamba. He's got that Camby build and upside. He's a defensive gamechanger potentially.
Jones and Vogel gotta go.

Ring_Wanted

Post by Ring_Wanted »

TheOriginalOriginal wrote:I'm most intrigued by Bamba. He's got that Camby build and upside. He's a defensive gamechanger potentially.
Ayton supposedly has that same ability (or close to it) but is also a way more advanced offensive player skill wise.

I am firmly on camp Ayton and the only way I can see my mind changing is if Doncic can play point forward while not getting exploited athletically (watching Bogdan Bogdanovic can be useful here) or if Porter absolutely blows up and trascends say Tatum level, showing Durant-like offensive power (which I don't think will happen).

TOO

Post by TOO »

Ring_Wanted wrote:
TheOriginalOriginal wrote:I'm most intrigued by Bamba. He's got that Camby build and upside. He's a defensive gamechanger potentially.
Ayton supposedly has that same ability (or close to it) but is also a way more advanced offensive player skill wise.

I am firmly on camp Ayton and the only way I can see my mind changing is if Doncic can play point forward while not getting exploited athletically (watching Bogdan Bogdanovic can be useful here) or if P****r absolutely blows up and trascends say Tatum level, showing Durant-like offensive power (which I don't think will happen).
He has huge questions about his work ethic, not really interested in him personally at this juncture. If he steps it up in college, I'll change my tune.

Split T

Post by Split T »

Keeping my mind open, but I'm most intrigued with Ayton, Doncic, and Bagley right now.

In2ition

Post by In2ition »

Ring_Wanted wrote:

I am firmly on camp Ayton and the only way I can see my mind changing is if Doncic can play point forward while not getting exploited athletically (watching Bogdan Bogdanovic can be useful here) or if P****r absolutely blows up and trascends say Tatum level, showing Durant-like offensive power (which I don't think will happen).
Yeah, the questions of motor are haunting Ayton right now, and I hope we see it has changed this college season. Other than that, he's big, super athletic, long, has tremendous potential on both ends of the floor and would easily be the best big in the state of Arizona today. Exactly the kind of big that could more than hold his own inside against the likes of B. Lopez, Nurkic, Gobert, Jordan, WCS, KAT, Jokic, Gasol, Aldridge, Noel, Cousins, etc.

Porter is already a better outside shooter than Tatum. Think a taller, better shooting, and more athletic Tatum. Also, a high character guy, team player, and reportedly a very good defender. The problem here is that the Suns drafted Jackson and just gave Warren a decent sized contract. How would they be able to tell their fan base that they drafted another SF and could have drafted Fox last year.

I think Bamba is going to have to overcome his weight. He's awfully skinny and will have a hard time holding his position in the NBA, but he can switch on the perimeter very well and his reach gives him some really intriguing defensive potential inside like Gobert, along with some decent offensive skills. Not to mention Bamba is crazy intelligent and could easily have gone to any high academic school in the country.

Doncic was made to play basketball. He is the closest I've seen to the next coming of Bird. Passing, Rebounding and Shooting. Just not a great athlete. I believe that he's the starting pg this year for Real Madrid and is just killing teams. Not everyone thinks he could play pg in the NBA, but I'm not going to count him out. If Doncic runs the team, they will win. At least he could switch out onto the 2, 3, and in very small doses the 4.

Bagley would be a great power forward next to Jackson. That would be 2 high motor, athletic and 2 way athletic forwards. Been called the best hs player since Anthony Davis. Some even think he's the best player to come out of high school since LeBron James. Many people will make a big deal about his AAU team only winning 2 games in the EYBL, but honestly there wasn't much around him on that team. Also, if you remember AD played on a tiny division high school team and they couldn't win many games when he wasn't even going against much talent at all. From all accounts at Duke, he is the real deal. I believe he is night and day better than Chriss right now and what we HOPE that Chriss could become.

I'll keep saying it, the Suns really could have used 2 of these kids, even though it would keep them really young and then offer a crazy package for AD. A team of say Doncic, Booker, Jackson, Bagley and Davis would be pretty nice, but a pipe dream.
"When we all think alike, nobody is thinking" - Walter Lippmann
"Find out just what any people will quietly submit to and you have the exact measure of the injustice and wrong which will be imposed on them." ~ Frederick Douglass

Split T

Post by Split T »

In2ition wrote:
Ring_Wanted wrote:

I'll keep saying it, the Suns really could have used 2 of these kids, even though it would keep them really young and then offer a crazy package for AD. A team of say Doncic, Booker, Jackson, Bagley and Davis would be pretty nice, but a pipe dream.
Ya, that team would be the greatest team in NBA history if they all reach their potential

Ring_Wanted

Post by Ring_Wanted »

Great post, In2. It's nice to be looking at a strong top5. Ayton/Doncic/P0rter/Bagley/Bamba should make this stupid year worth it.

In2ition

Post by In2ition »

I watched the exibition games of UNC vs. Barton College (Division II), UK vs. Thomas More (Division III), and Duke vs. NW Missouri State (#1 D II and defending National Champs). UK is loaded, and UNC is going to be pretty good, just not nearly as good as last year. Duke has nearly everything though. They are super big, athletic, skilled, deep, and can shoot. NWMS didn't turn the ball over and could tell was very well coached, bit was completely dominated in this game. UNC barely pulled out their game, relative to their opponents talent, and even UK struggled from at times.
Bagley with all the hype was a little bit of a meh in this game. He had some nice passes from the post, os very athletic and can get up quickly, but had some bad shots and some bad turnovers.
Wendell Carter was the most impressive to me. Highly skilled inside and out, great footwork on the post, was a lot more athletic than I remember from last year, played good defense, even out to the perimeter and highly efficient.
Gary Trent Jr. played a lot like Booker in this game and made just about everything. Pull ups, catch and shoot, concentration through contact, everything looked under control and well polished.
Trevon Duval is crazy athletic decent sized(6"3") pg. Is going to be a terror this year as no one will be able to stay in front of him. He's a younger, bigger, more athletic Mike James with a developing jump shot. Westbrook lite.
Kevin Knox is easily the second best sf coming out and is long, super bouncy, can drive and shoot from outside with the best of them.
I really like Nik Richards. Huge hands, nice wing span, worls hard down low, strong and always aware on defense. Name to watch.
"Find out just what any people will quietly submit to and you have the exact measure of the injustice and wrong which will be imposed on them." ~ Frederick Douglass

Split T

Post by Split T »

I've been on the Carter bandwagon. He's very skilled around the basket but I don't think people realize how capable he is away from the hoop as well. I like him if we aren't top 5

TOO

Post by TOO »

In2ition wrote:I watched the exibition games of UNC vs. Barton College (Division II), UK vs. Thomas More (Division III), and Duke vs. NW Missouri State (#1 D II and defending National Champs). UK is loaded, and UNC is going to be pretty good, just not nearly as good as last year. Duke has nearly everything though. They are super big, athletic, skilled, deep, and can shoot. NWMS didn't turn the ball over and could tell was very well coached, bit was completely dominated in this game. UNC barely pulled out their game, relative to their opponents talent, and even UK struggled from at times.
Bagley with all the hype was a little bit of a meh in this game. He had some nice passes from the post, os very athletic and can get up quickly, but had some bad shots and some bad turnovers.
Wendell Carter was the most impressive to me. Highly skilled inside and out, great footwork on the post, was a lot more athletic than I remember from last year, played good defense, even out to the perimeter and highly efficient.
Gary Trent Jr. played a lot like Booker in this game and made just about everything. Pull ups, catch and shoot, concentration through contact, everything looked under control and well polished.
Trevon Duval is crazy athletic decent sized(6"3") pg. Is going to be a terror this year as no one will be able to stay in front of him. He's a younger, bigger, more athletic Mike James with a developing jump shot. Westbrook lite.
Kevin Knox is easily the second best sf coming out and is long, super bouncy, can drive and shoot from outside with the best of them.
I really like Nik Richards. Huge hands, nice wing span, worls hard down low, strong and always aware on defense. Name to watch.
A bigger Mike James is a thing now? :lol: Only Suns fans.

Cap

Post by Cap »

In2ition wrote:I watched the exibition games of UNC vs. Barton College (Division II), UK vs. Thomas More (Division III), and Duke vs. NW Missouri State (#1 D II and defending National Champs). UK is loaded, and UNC is going to be pretty good, just not nearly as good as last year. Duke has nearly everything though. They are super big, athletic, skilled, deep, and can shoot. NWMS didn't turn the ball over and could tell was very well coached, bit was completely dominated in this game. UNC barely pulled out their game, relative to their opponents talent, and even UK struggled from at times.
Yeah, it means Westbrook lite.

In2ition

Post by In2ition »

Of course, I was trying to make a relevant comparison.

n4th4n

Post by n4th4n »

Something interesting for us to keep an eye on - Miami has started 2-4 and looked pretty mediocre. Whiteside has been out, but he returned tonight. With teams like Orlando, Indiana, Brooklyn, and New York currently playing above expectations, we may be looking at a solid pick at the end of the year.

specialsauce

Post by specialsauce »

It is top 7 protected. With the Suns luck, they’ll get the 6th in the draft

Split T

Post by Split T »

Miami won't be that bad, but if they miss the playoffs and we snag two lottery picks next year, I'd be pretty happy. Depending on where our pick lands, I'd probably attempt to package them together, with maybe another piece to get one of the top 3-5 guys.

Split T

Post by Split T »

https://twitter.com/GoodmanESPN/status/925935614754684928

The Bobster

Post by The Bobster »

The bad news is that Dallas, Sacramento, Atlanta and Chicago are all really, really bad.
Author of The Basketball Draft Fact Book: A History of Professional Basketball's College Drafts
Available from Scarecrow Press at - https://rowman.com/ISBN/9780810890695