2018 NBA Draft Thread

Discussion of the league and of our favorite team.
Cap

Re: 2018 NBA Draft Thread

Post by Cap »

We'd presumably get some vets in trade from shipping out or own vets; it's just that the vets we get wouldn't be very good and would be packaged with draft picks.

Shabazz

Post by Shabazz »

This kid's a savant:

https://twitter.com/Mike_Schmitz/status/904443510228742145

Flagrant Fowl

Post by Flagrant Fowl »

Wow... That kid can play. He's exactly what the Suns need at the PG position.
Send me a PM if you're interested in joining the phx-suns.net fantasy basketball league.

Split T

Post by Split T »

Flagrant Fowl wrote:Wow... That kid can play. He's exactly what the Suns need at the PG position.
Unfortunately he's not a PG, at least defensively. He looks to be a great offensive player, we'll see defensively, but he won't be able to defend 1's.

Wormwood

Post by Wormwood »

Marty [Mori Chu] wrote:Indy didn't "forget" Knight. It's called suppression.
I almost guarantee Knight will never play another minute in a Suns uniform. He's butt hurt, and he's terrible.

Maybe not Marcus Banks terrible, but close. And we're paying him a lot more. I shudder to think wahat we will have to surrender to make him go away.

Flagrant Fowl

Post by Flagrant Fowl »

Split T wrote:
Flagrant Fowl wrote:Wow... That kid can play. He's exactly what the Suns need at the PG position.
Unfortunately he's not a PG, at least defensively. He looks to be a great offensive player, we'll see defensively, but he won't be able to defend 1's.
How many point guards can actually defend their position at an elite level?
Send me a PM if you're interested in joining the phx-suns.net fantasy basketball league.

Split T

Post by Split T »

Flagrant Fowl wrote:
Split T wrote:
I'm not talking about elite defense, I'm talking about defending the position at all. He's 6'8 and not the greatest athlete. He'd get eaten alive if you had him defending 1's. He can run a lot of the offense, but he's a 3 or a small ball 4 defensively.

However, offensively he's an incredible prospect, just fascinating how good he's been at how young he is. Incredibly advanced offensive game. Could you run some combination of booker/Doncic/Jackson at 2-4?

Shabazz

Post by Shabazz »

Here are highlights of his game today against Porzingis and Latvia. 27 and 9.

[youtube][/youtube]

Shabazz

Post by Shabazz »

Split T wrote:
Flagrant Fowl wrote:
Split T wrote:
I'm not talking about elite defense, I'm talking about defending the position at all. He's 6'8 and not the greatest athlete. He'd get eaten alive if you had him defending 1's. He can run a lot of the offense, but he's a 3 or a small ball 4 defensively.

However, offensively he's an incredible prospect, just fascinating how good he's been at how young he is. Incredibly advanced offensive game. Could you run some combination of booker/Doncic/Jackson at 2-4?
I'd run them at the 1-3. Let Jackson guard the PGs, Booker the 2s and Doncic the 3s. Booker and Doncic could both initiate offense or play off the ball. The kid is ridiculous.

Hermen

Post by Hermen »

Doncic seems like a very good rebounder in this tournament. I think he leads the team in rebounds and gets quite a few contested ones over bigger guys. And he hit 4 very clutch free throws yesterday. The game was very fun.

Split T

Post by Split T »

Shabazz wrote:
Split T wrote:
Flagrant Fowl wrote:
Split T wrote:

I'd run them at the 1-3. Let Jackson guard the PGs, Booker the 2s and Doncic the 3s. Booker and Doncic could both initiate offense or play off the ball. The kid is ridiculous.
That could work, I'd be a little worried with Booker and Doncic being our wing defenders, but maybe Doncic will turn out to be a better defender than I think. Offensively, we'd be pretty exciting.

In2ition

Post by In2ition »

This may be heresy, but Doncic reminds me of a combination of Magic and Bird. I wouldn't have a problem running him at pg, but guarding another position. He did pretty decently against Westbrook last year in the exhibition game.
"When we all think alike, nobody is thinking" - Walter Lippmann
"Find out just what any people will quietly submit to and you have the exact measure of the injustice and wrong which will be imposed on them." ~ Frederick Douglass

Ring_Wanted

Post by Ring_Wanted »

Check this out:

[youtube][/youtube]

In2ition

Post by In2ition »

So, how could the Suns land Bagley and Doncic?
"Find out just what any people will quietly submit to and you have the exact measure of the injustice and wrong which will be imposed on them." ~ Frederick Douglass

Mori Chu

Post by Mori Chu »

I think Doncic should go by the nickname, "Donkey." Think of the cross merchandising!

Split T

Post by Split T »

In2ition wrote:This may be heresy, but Doncic reminds me of a combination of Magic and Bird. I wouldn't have a problem running him at pg, but guarding another position. He did pretty decently against Westbrook last year in the exhibition game.
Haha, I'll go the other way and say he reminds me a little of hedo turkoglu. The good version, not the Suns version. Doncic is definitely more advanced though. Just not a lot of big wings with advanced play making and shooting to compare him too. Safe to say he'll probably end up between turkoglu and a magic/bird hybrid.

Split T

Post by Split T »

In2ition wrote:So, how could the Suns land Bagley and Doncic?
We trade Bled/Warren/Miami pick to Cleveland for the Brooklyn pick, which lands 2 while our own pick lands 1. We draft Bagley and Doncic and run a Booker/Jackson/Doncic/Bagley core with either Ulis, Bender, Chriss, or Williams taking the 5th starting spot.

Hermen

Post by Hermen »

Split T wrote:
We trade Bled/Warren/Miami pick to Cleveland for the Brooklyn pick, which lands 2 while our own pick lands 1. We draft Bagley and Doncic and run a Booker/Jackson/Doncic/Bagley core with either Ulis, Bender, Chriss, or Williams taking the 5th starting spot.
I'm sold.

In2ition

Post by In2ition »

Hermen wrote:
Split T wrote:
I'm sold.
No more trades or free agents to finish that lineup?

Hermen

Post by Hermen »

Doncic with a near triple double in the win against Spain, I think he finished with 11 points 12 rebounds and 8 assists. The only thing I dislike is that he too often dribbles too much and then shoots a very long three. But he's young :) And I was again really impressed by his rebounding.