2018 NBA Draft Thread

Discussion of the league and of our favorite team.
TOO

Re: 2018 NBA Draft Thread

Post by TOO »

INFORMER wrote:
Ring_Wanted wrote:I'd put 12M per on the table easily for Dedmon. 15M per with incentives. I know it sounds crazy but he'd be my gamble under Bud.

Would also try to trade for Millsap.

Doncic-Booker-Jackson-Millsap-Dedmon plus the aftermath from the trades.

Also do the math on how much cap space I can add if I stretch Chandler and Knight, assuming I can't use Chandler-Dudley in a sign and trade for talent under contract.
I'd prefer to target Kenneth Faried over Millsap.
Same.
👀 Fire Frank Vogel.

Ring_Wanted

Post by Ring_Wanted »

INFORMER wrote:I'd prefer to target Kenneth Faried over Millsap.
I've said in another thread that I wouldn't be opposed to Faried, but no way I take him over Millsap. I get that Millsap missed half of last season, but he is on a one year contract plus a team option. The 30M don't scare me given where we are as a franchise, and in terms of game, Millsap checks a lot of boxes including defense (not rebounding, though, although Faried does't either). On the other hand, Faried is a high motor hustle on offense that lacks defensive focus. The intensity would be nice for a change but it's hard to see him as a starter in today's league (even if 'today's league' is often overplayed, which I don't think to be the case here).

specialsauce

Post by specialsauce »

Is this a fucking joke fuck Faried he can’t shoot worth shit. Might as well sign a rock to a deal

O_Gardino

Post by O_Gardino »

UglyTruth wrote:I hope all the Luka Doncic fans are watching the playoffs. Second game in a row that he’s complete ass.

https://twitter.com/KellanOlson/status/987036574876446720

It's awesome that he's getting that high level experience. College players don't get this kind of sustained challenge. IMO, he's learning a ton out there, and this is going to make him even more ready for the NBA.
The league needs heroes, villains... and clowns. -- Aztec Sunsfan

O_Gardino

Post by O_Gardino »

Ring_Wanted wrote:
INFORMER wrote:I'd prefer to target Kenneth Faried over Millsap.
I've said in another thread that I wouldn't be opposed to Faried, but no way I take him over Millsap. I get that Millsap missed half of last season, but he is on a one year contract plus a team option. The 30M don't scare me given where we are as a franchise, and in terms of game, Millsap checks a lot of boxes including defense (not rebounding, though, although Faried does't either). On the other hand, Faried is a high motor hustle on offense that lacks defensive focus. The intensity would be nice for a change but it's hard to see him as a starter in today's league (even if 'today's league' is often overplayed, which I don't think to be the case here).
Good point about the team option. I thought it was a player option. I'm more open to Millsap under those terms.

O_Gardino

Post by O_Gardino »

Split T wrote:https://www.thestepien.com/2018/04/19/o ... in-bagley/

Here is a fun article breaking down Bagley and Ayton
That's kind of how I feel about the both of those players.

Ayton is a good back to the basket player, a good passer, and I think he would take a lot of pressure off of Booker. He'll be good playing within an offense. But he isn't going to create shots.

Bagley has a better chance to be a guy who can attack and create. Cool. He's kind of Jacksonesque in his combo of coordination and lack of discipline. One thing those guys barely mention is that Bagley did not pass in college. We'll see if he has that ability, but right now we've only seen him create for himself.

Ayton, I think, will be at least a good defender. Maybe great. Bagley, I don't think has the awareness to be a good defender. At best he will be an energy guy who has to be directed around the court by his teammates.

ShelC

Post by ShelC »

Take the basketball player. And you can always tell a bigman's basketball IQ by how well he passes.

Cap

Post by Cap »

O_Gardino wrote:One thing those guys barely mention is that Bagley did not pass in college.
How did he maintain his eligibility to play sports?

O_Gardino

Post by O_Gardino »

Cap wrote:
O_Gardino wrote:One thing those guys barely mention is that Bagley did not pass in college.
How did he maintain his eligibility to play sports?
7/10 I did chuckle.

O_Gardino

Post by O_Gardino »

I looked up the stats, and Ayton didn't actually get that many more assists than Bagley. Maybe I've been swayed by articles about Ayton's passing, or maybe there's just more passes in the highlights. Maybe the passes from Ayton just look better?

Tankathon per 36 comparison. Unfortunately, Tankathon only compares 5 at a time. I left Bamba off, because I wanted to make a case for Jontay Porter.

By far the best passer of the group, a very good shooter, he was very involved int the Mizzou offense. He has a frame that can add muscle. He wasn't much of a jumper in college, and he could work on his footwork. But he's young and he really gets the game. Kind of reminds me of a bigger Boris with a jump shot.

In2ition

Post by In2ition »

O_Gardino wrote:

Ayton is a good back to the basket player, a good passer, and I think he would take a lot of pressure off of Booker. He'll be good playing within an offense. But he isn't going to create shots.

Bagley has a better chance to be a guy who can attack and create. Cool. He's kind of Jacksonesque in his combo of coordination and lack of discipline. One thing those guys barely mention is that Bagley did not pass in college. We'll see if he has that ability, but right now we've only seen him create for himself.

Ayton, I think, will be at least a good defender. Maybe great. Bagley, I don't think has the awareness to be a good defender. At best he will be an energy guy who has to be directed around the court by his teammates.
I watched every Duke game and I can say with confidence that Bagley's passing is pretty good in the role he played. He was able to recognize open teammates when he was doubled, worked well with his other big on the floor, saw and passed well to cutters and even made mice passes on the break. For the most part the Duke offense didn't put him in positions where he was required to run the offense, more he was able to beat his man or able to take his shot. He only forced things from time to time. A big man's version of Jackson is a good comp and he will be multifaceted energy guy with amazing second jump. I feel with a good coach the awareness on the defensive end will come. He's a very smart kid that wants to get better, eager to learn and has a will to be the best. He is the hardest worker and plays with a physicality above his own strength and physical maturity.
"When we all think alike, nobody is thinking" - Walter Lippmann
"Find out just what any people will quietly submit to and you have the exact measure of the injustice and wrong which will be imposed on them." ~ Frederick Douglass

Superbone

Post by Superbone »

In2ition wrote:...and even made mice passes on the break.
Is that when you roll the ball on the ground? Or maybe you have a cheese-eating grin while making the pass?
"Be Legendary."

Superbone

Post by Superbone »

In2ition wrote:
O_Gardino wrote:

I watched every Duke game and I can say with confidence that Bagley's passing is pretty good in the role he played. He was able to recognize open teammates when he was doubled, worked well with his other big on the floor, saw and passed well to cutters and even made mice passes on the break. For the most part the Duke offense didn't put him in positions where he was required to run the offense, more he was able to beat his man or able to take his shot. He only forced things from time to time. A big man's version of Jackson is a good comp and he will be multifaceted energy guy with amazing second jump. I feel with a good coach the awareness on the defensive end will come. He's a very smart kid that wants to get better, eager to learn and has a will to be the best. He is the hardest worker and plays with a physicality above his own strength and physical maturity.
No seriously, he sounds like a basketball player and like he loves the game. He wouldn't be a bad consolation prize.
"Be Legendary."

Ring_Wanted

Post by Ring_Wanted »

ShelC wrote:Take the basketball player. And you can always tell a bigman's basketball IQ by how well he passes.
Then make sure you grab Jontay Porter.

Split T

Post by Split T »

Ring_Wanted wrote:
ShelC wrote:Take the basketball player. And you can always tell a bigman's basketball IQ by how well he passes.
Then make sure you grab Jontay Porter.
Or Carter

O_Gardino

Post by O_Gardino »

The nice thing about Jontay Porter is that he will probably be available at #16.

Carter, who I like a lot, will be gone by then, and doesn't have a high enough ceiling to draft at the top. If we fall to #3 or #4, then I will start thinking about guys like Carter and Trae Young.

carey

Post by carey »

Go Suns!

Og Snus!

Split T

Post by Split T »

Bamba is a lot more interesting if his shot is legit.

https://twitter.com/DraftExpress/status/989187209117958144

O_Gardino

Post by O_Gardino »

With Bamba, it's not just his height and length. He's fluid and coordinated. He just looks comfortable like he could learn any NBA skill he puts the work into. I like him more than his NCAA play really warrants because of the skills it looks like he could learn.

Of course, Dwight Howard still to this day looks like he should be able to shoot from anywhere on the court. And he can - in practice.

iLLmatic

Post by iLLmatic »

Split T wrote:Bamba is a lot more interesting if his shot is legit.

https://twitter.com/DraftExpress/status/989187209117958144

His form isn't broken, it actually looks pretty decent.