2018 NBA Draft Thread

Discussion of the league and of our favorite team.
In2ition

Re: 2018 NBA Draft Thread

Post by In2ition »

Split T wrote:For the Trae Young fans

https://twitter.com/DaveKingNBA/status/986304129248227328

I really like Trae, but he would be 4th or 5th for me. That being said, I am on record many times saying I would love to see the Suns move back up to draft Young in addition to Ayton.

Also, I'm not opposed to Randle, but would probably go for Mirotic on a cheaper contract.
"When we all think alike, nobody is thinking" - Walter Lippmann
"Find out just what any people will quietly submit to and you have the exact measure of the injustice and wrong which will be imposed on them." ~ Frederick Douglass

Split T

Post by Split T »

Mirotic is nice, he's got a team option though. No chance new Orleans doesn't pick that up. Randle can't shoot and that keeps him off my list.

In2ition

Post by In2ition »

I can see he's trying to recreate the 7SOL Suns with everyone except IT.

I had a dream last night that the Suns hired Bud, fell or traded down and drafted Young and Miles Bridges at 16. Then created a package for Kawhi and threw a max at Capela.
Next year's starting lineup ended up being Young, Booker, Leonard, Bridges, Capela with Knight, Jackson/Warren, Chriss/Bender, Williams off the bench.
"Find out just what any people will quietly submit to and you have the exact measure of the injustice and wrong which will be imposed on them." ~ Frederick Douglass

Ring_Wanted

Post by Ring_Wanted »

Split T wrote:Mirotic is nice, he's got a team option though. No chance new Orleans doesn't pick that up. Randle can't shoot and that keeps him off my list.
Keep an eye on Dedmond. Has a player option for next season at 6M that he obviously is declining. Keeps improving every year. Contract year yellow flag, though.

Split T

Post by Split T »

Ya I've thought about Dedmon. He can stretch the floor a bit and is a good defender. Could make sense if we don't draft Ayton or Bamba

Ring_Wanted

Post by Ring_Wanted »

Split T wrote:Ya I've thought about Dedmon. He can stretch the floor a bit and is a good defender. Could make sense if we don't draft Ayton or Bamba
If Doncic was drafted, Dedmon would be a clear target for us. Perhaps even with Ayton since he is not a rim protector. Bagley too.

Split T

Post by Split T »

How much are we thinking he's going to cost? He's nice and I'd be happy with him here, but I'd be a little underwhelmed if he's our big acquisition.

What do we think? Add Bud, Doncic, Dedmon. Is that enough? We'd still have the trade market to add another big.

ShelC

Post by ShelC »

I've liked Dedmon for a few years going back to his Orlando days. He's turned into a nice player, but not an impact big/FA. I think DAJ should be a top trade target.

Ring_Wanted

Post by Ring_Wanted »

I'd put 12M per on the table easily for Dedmon. 15M per with incentives. I know it sounds crazy but he'd be my gamble under Bud.

Would also try to trade for Millsap.

Doncic-Booker-Jackson-Millsap-Dedmon plus the aftermath from the trades.

Also do the math on how much cap space I can add if I stretch Chandler and Knight, assuming I can't use Chandler-Dudley in a sign and trade for talent under contract.

O_Gardino

Post by O_Gardino »

In2ition wrote:

OK, now his takes make sense. I think you hit the nail on the head.

I do like Kyhri Thomas, but not that high in the first round. He would work well next to our ball-dominant wings, but a 6'3 guy who can't dribble or pass very well is a second round pick.

I also like Trae more than many folks here, but I'll have to see us fall in the draft order before I consider him. Still holding out hope for Doncic.
The league needs heroes, villains... and clowns. -- Aztec Sunsfan

Split T

Post by Split T »

Ring_Wanted wrote:I'd put 12M per on the table easily for Dedmon. 15M per with incentives. I know it sounds crazy but he'd be my gamble under Bud.

Would also try to trade for Millsap.

Doncic-Booker-Jackson-Millsap-Dedmon plus the aftermath from the trades.

Also do the math on how much cap space I can add if I stretch Chandler and Knight, assuming I can't use Chandler-Dudley in a sign and trade for talent under contract.
You'd have to include Chandler, Knight, or Dudley in any trade for Millsap to make the salaries match.

I've also been thinking about PF trade targets... What's the clippers feelings about Harris? Available or no? I love that he shoots 40% from 3, he's not much of a rebounder though... We might need a big time rebounder next to him at the 5.

Ring_Wanted

Post by Ring_Wanted »

Harris probably won't be made available by the Clipps, although I'd call. LAC is happy with how they reacted to the big trade and other adversities.

On the other hand, DEN is out of the playoffs again, Millsap has played only half the season and has two years and 60M left.

Or you could look at Favors in free agency. Or if the wild happens in SAS and they indeed move Kawhi, maybe they'd look at trading Aldridge for a rebuilding package.

specialsauce

Post by specialsauce »

In2ition wrote:

I had a dream last night that the Suns hired Bud, fell or traded down and drafted Young and Miles Bridges at 16. Then created a package for Kawhi and threw a max at Capela.
Next year's starting lineup ended up being Young, Booker, Leonard, Bridges, Capela with Knight, Jackson/Warren, Chriss/Bender, Williams off the bench.

Are you kidding, whatever scenario ends up with us having that lineup, sign me up!!!

Shabazz

Post by Shabazz »

My ideal scenario is still Doncic in the draft and a max offer to Capela. Possibly a Love trade as well. Doncic/Booker/Jackson/Love/Capela.

carey

Post by carey »

Capela is not worth the max.
Go Suns!

Og Snus!

Mori Chu

Post by Mori Chu »

carey wrote:Capela is not worth the max.
I wouldn't sign him to a max deal; I don't want to go over the salary capela!

specialsauce

Post by specialsauce »

Omg a max deal for Capela? You think he can be a top 2 player on a championship team?

O_Gardino

Post by O_Gardino »

Capela is great for the Rockets, but will not be as great on other teams. He's not worth the max, or even a biggish contract.

Millsap is also not worth a huge contract. He's a good player, but he's 32 and coming off an injury. Do we really want to give up assets to have him hear at 33 and 34 for 30 million a year? No thanks. I don't think he can play well enough to earn it.
The league needs heroes, villains... and clowns. -- Aztec Sunsfan

In2ition

Post by In2ition »

It's probably not that Capela is worth a Max, but how good a fit he would be for the team.and what would it take to pry him away from the Rockets.

Shabazz

Post by Shabazz »

In2ition wrote:It's probably not that Capela is worth a Max, but how good a fit he would be for the team.and what would it take to pry him away from the Rockets.
This.

He's everything Deandre Jordan is with better free throw shooting and better defense.