2018 NBA Draft Thread

Discussion of the league and of our favorite team.
iLLmatic

Re: 2018 NBA Draft Thread

Post by iLLmatic »

Split T wrote:I'm officially moving JJJ to the top of my board. I maintain the right to move him back down though.
He looks like a Kevin Garnett clone.

Superbone

Post by Superbone »

Split T wrote:
specialsauce wrote:I don't like that he's only averaging 6 rebounds per game.
That's fair, he does only play 22 minutes a game though and is exclusively playing the 4 and spends a lot of time away from the hoop. Still, he doesn't look like a great rebounder and that's a little worrisome next to our current non rebounding bigs.
Why is he only playing 22 minutes a game? That would seem to be a red flag.
"Be Legendary."

Split T

Post by Split T »

Superbone wrote:
Split T wrote:
That's fair, he does only play 22 minutes a game though and is exclusively playing the 4 and spends a lot of time away from the hoop. Still, he doesn't look like a great rebounder and that's a little worrisome next to our current non rebounding bigs.
He struggles with foul trouble, and they've got a couple other bigs that play consistent minutes. I'm not too familiar with the situation though.

Split T

Post by Split T »

[youtube][/youtube]

This is the most he's shown offensively. Scoring in the post, driving, passing and of course hitting the 3 ball. His defense is the real reason I want him.

O_Gardino

Post by O_Gardino »

Split T wrote:
Superbone wrote:
Split T wrote:
He struggles with foul trouble, and they've got a couple other bigs that play consistent minutes. I'm not too familiar with the situation though.
He's really really young, too, and had a limited game at the start of the season. I don't know if I've seen a prospect grow this much in a freshman season for a while.
The league needs heroes, villains... and clowns. -- Aztec Sunsfan

Shabazz

Post by Shabazz »

O_Gardino wrote:
Split T wrote:
Superbone wrote:
Split T wrote:
He's really really young, too, and had a limited game at the start of the season. I don't know if I've seen a prospect grow this much in a freshman season for a while.
Embiid comes to mind.

I really like Jackson. I think he's tied at #3 for me (with Trae) after Doncic and Ayton. He could easily end up being the best player of the whole class. I just wish he was a little more NBA-ready and a better rebounder. I'm low on patience right now which is a big reason Ayton is more appealing to me. I feel like Ayton could come in next season and put up 18/10/1.5. Jackson strikes me as someone who'll average 12/5/2.5 in his rookie season, but by year 3 would be a top 5 defender in the NBA. His defensive potential is enormous.

Wormwood

Post by Wormwood »

Going into the draft right now, I am really high on Trae Young.

JJJ is interesting. I regard him as the safest pick in the draft because he fits the Channing Frye mold of 3-point shooting big man who doesn't rebound, but plays good overall defense. If we took JJJ at 4 or 5, I'd be fine. People seem to forget that wherever he went, Frye was near the top of his team in Real Plus Minus. I get the feeling JJJ would do the same; stats aren't eye popping, but who cares when you're winning?

Ayton has the highest upside of anyone, and I'd be very happy with that him.

Trae Young is going to be an all star. He's dominating on the ball, sure, but he's also racking up 9 assists and 4 rebs per game.

Doncic is a Euro. They're very hit and miss. Between JJJ and Doncic, I'd have a very hard time, since it's a choice between the highest risk guy and the lowest risk.

So, all that said, here's my draft board:

1. Trae Young. You gotta take the near sure fire all star if he's there.

2. Ayton. Highest ceiling of anyone on this list

3. Jaren Jackson Jr. If you come away with a solid starter from the draft who will, you did ok. I can't say that Bagley, Bomba, or Porter are sure fire NBA-caliber players. JJJ is.

4. Doncic. I would take him ahead of JJJ under normal circumstanses, but he'd be competeing for minutes with Payton, Booker, TJ, and Jackson.

5. Bagley III. He can rebound, and he's an interior scorer. But, his FT% is a huge red flag for me.

In2ition

Post by In2ition »

After watching Ayton closely last night, I would take him #1. His positional versatility, physical dominance, and skill does it for me. Now, I'm surely hoping for the #1 pick and if that happens, I use the Miami picks, other picks, Chriss and/or Warren to move up for the best pick I can get to grab the next best big I can move up to, whether it's Jackson, Bamba, Bagley, Porter jr. or Carter. Or even Doncic or Young to pair with him. If it's not possible to move up, Jontay Porter, Robert Williams, Robinson, or Sexton would do too.

I think Ayton can play pf or center and could thrive as the defensive anchor or a tandem that dominates down low on defense with Bender being an excellent versatile big off the bench.

I just want to see the Suns have their franchise big man for the next 10-15 years and not pine for or envy any other team with one.
"When we all think alike, nobody is thinking" - Walter Lippmann
"Find out just what any people will quietly submit to and you have the exact measure of the injustice and wrong which will be imposed on them." ~ Frederick Douglass

Mori Chu

Post by Mori Chu »

I've seen just enough U of A games this year to fall in love with Ayton. I love watching a great big man play. Seems like he'd make a big impact for us right away and fill a huge hole in our roster. If we didn't get #1 (or the chance to draft Ayton), then I tend to like Doncic. He just seems like a unicorn to me, a guy who will really make a mark in the NBA. Doesn't perfectly fit our roster and needs, but if he's that good, we should reshape the roster to fit him. Trae Young also intrigues me, though I fear he may be a Jimmer-esque guy who rocks college but can't do the same in the pros. I'd still probably give Trae a try if we had the #3-4 pick and he were still there. After that it's pretty much any of the other big men: JJJ, Bagley, whoever. I'm not very excited about Bamba, Porter, or any others.

specialsauce

Post by specialsauce »

Ayton
Doncic
Bagley
——
Try and package pick with Warren and Chriss for a young star ( Anthony Davis )
JJJ
Young
Bamba

Ring_Wanted

Post by Ring_Wanted »

https://twitter.com/_Brian_Hamilton/status/963829730020659201

Split T

Post by Split T »

Trae having another really bad shooting game. I have a hard time seeing him go top 5. Orlando is the only team I think that would take him that high. Maybe Cleveland.

Split T

Post by Split T »

Ayton/JJJ is who I want. I feel better about JJJ right now, but I'd be ecstatic with both. Doncic is on the same level to me, but I think Ayton/JJJ are better fits for us. I really want Bamba to impress me, would be really nice to have a 3rd big I love.

INFORMER

Post by INFORMER »

In2ition wrote:After watching Ayton closely last night, I would take him #1.
Don't overlook the fact that he was being guarded by guys 6'5 to 6'7 all night long.
Trendon Watford. Please and thank you.

JustWinBaby

Post by JustWinBaby »

INFORMER wrote:
Don't overlook the fact that he was being guarded by guys 6'5 to 6'7 all night long.
I thought the same thing. Actually I think it is amazing that ASU has as many wins as they have. Their effort is off the charts.

Is Sean Miller the most overrated coach in the country?

With the physical adantages he has had virtually every year It would seem as though he would have won a championship by now. I don't think that he has even taken them to the final 4.
I wanted Monty as our coach since D'Antoni left town. Nice choice James Jones.

In2ition

Post by In2ition »

INFORMER wrote:
I realize ASU isn't the biggest or longest team. I really like Ayton's length, skill, size, and athleticism, and feel he's going to be an outstanding pro.
"Find out just what any people will quietly submit to and you have the exact measure of the injustice and wrong which will be imposed on them." ~ Frederick Douglass

carey

Re: RE: Re: 2018 NBA Draft Thread

Post by carey »

JustWinBaby wrote:
I thought the same thing. Actually I think it is amazing that ASU has as many wins as they have. Their effort is off the charts.

Is Sean Miller the most overrated coach in the country?

With the physical adantages he has had virtually every year It would seem as though he would have won a championship by now. I don't think that he has even taken them to the final 4.
He has a hell of a team behind him recruiting & that is half that battle as a college coach. As a tactician responsible for in-game adjustments he isn't even top 25.
Go Suns!

Og Snus!

EternalChampion

Post by EternalChampion »

Split T wrote:Trae having another really bad shooting game. I have a hard time seeing him go top 5. Orlando is the only team I think that would take him that high. Maybe Cleveland.
IMO every team that passes on Trae will regret it. He's a slightly built freshman, carrying almost the entire offensive load for a major conference team and he's averaging 35 minutes a game. Players often hit the freshman wall logging a lot fewer minutes and carrying far less responsibility. He's got jello legs now and his shot is gone but his game is made for the NBA. Injuries notwithstanding (and that's a significant caveat given his build), I think he is THE game changer from this class.

As a UA fan, I can't help but like the idea of drafting Ayton. He has a solid floor, roughly that of a rich man's Greg Monroe, but I'm unconvinced that he well ever rise much above that floor.

In2ition

Post by In2ition »

EternalChampion wrote:
Split T wrote:

As a UA fan, I can't help but like the idea of drafting Ayton. He has a solid floor, roughly that of a rich man's Greg Monroe, but I'm unconvinced that he well ever rise much above that floor.
I think he will definitely rise above that floor. Monroe can barely move, and Ayton is an extreme athlete.

In2ition

Post by In2ition »

Have you guys seen anything about Ajdin Pevana playing for Marshall? Check him out and let me know what you think.

[youtube][/youtube]