2018 NBA Draft Thread

Discussion of the league and of our favorite team.
Hermen

Re: 2018 NBA Draft Thread

Post by Hermen »

Would Chriss and Cousins be the poutiest frontcourt ever?

Shabazz

Post by Shabazz »

Bagley is committing to Duke and trying to reclassify to 2017. NCAA expected to rule on his eligibility in the next week or so.

Man, would I love to have a top 5 pick next season.

specialsauce

Post by specialsauce »

Please, let this be the year the Suns finally get a gift from the NBA.

specialsauce

Post by specialsauce »

More than ever, I am really hoping the Suns can facilitate a 3-way for Irving to another team that involves us unloading Bledsoe for something that makes our record worse but future brighter

Indy

Post by Indy »

specialsauce wrote:More than ever, I am really hoping the Suns can facilitate a 3-way for Irving to another team that involves us unloading Bledsoe for something that makes our record worse but future brighter
I think many of us keep hoping for that...

O_Gardino

Post by O_Gardino »

NBADraft.net has us getting Bagley with the 2nd pick.

Let's not screw it up by getting pseudostars.
The league needs heroes, villains... and clowns. -- Aztec Sunsfan

In2ition

Post by In2ition »

O_Gardino wrote:NBADraft.net has us getting Bagley with the 2nd pick.

+1
"When we all think alike, nobody is thinking" - Walter Lippmann
"Find out just what any people will quietly submit to and you have the exact measure of the injustice and wrong which will be imposed on them." ~ Frederick Douglass

Superbone

Post by Superbone »

In2ition wrote:
O_Gardino wrote:NBADraft.net has us getting Bagley with the 2nd pick.

+1
Like Irving? I'm with you. I'd rather trade Bledsoe early and get even younger and get that one last high pick in this next very deep draft and then start trying to win.
"Too little, too late, too unbothered."
- Phoenix Suns 2023-2024 season motto.

"Be Legendary."

Indy

Post by Indy »

Agreed. If you are going to be bad enough to get a top 5 pick, it is looking like this is the year to do it. It certainly wasn't 2016.

In2ition

Post by In2ition »

If the Suns can get Irving on the cheap, because LeBron WANTS Bledsoe this year, then do it.

I still don't think the Suns are going to be good enough to get a playoff spot with Irving. Now, if they can try to win every game, come up short and then the league gifting them a happy 50th anniversary gift of a #1 pick to go ahead and pick a local kid, that would be ideal.
"Find out just what any people will quietly submit to and you have the exact measure of the injustice and wrong which will be imposed on them." ~ Frederick Douglass

Superbone

Post by Superbone »

In2ition wrote:If the Suns can get Irving on the cheap, because LeBron WANTS Bledsoe this year, then do it.

I still don't think the Suns are going to be good enough to get a playoff spot with Irving. Now, if they can try to win every game, come up short and then the league gifting them a happy 50th anniversary gift of a #1 pick to go ahead and pick a local kid, that would be ideal.
Keep dreaming.

"Be Legendary."

In2ition

Post by In2ition »

Superbone wrote:
In2ition wrote:If the Suns can get Irving on the cheap, because LeBron WANTS Bledsoe this year, then do it.

Keep dreaming.
Oh I know. They did it for Chicago gifting them local kid Rose and they did it for Cleveland with LeBron, then gave them the #1 pick 3 more times after they TRAGICALLY lost LeBron. Dreaming is free. :D

Split T

Post by Split T »

I'd love a top 5 pick, but I think we might surprise a little this year. Still, the West is so loaded that it's gonna be hard to not be at the bottom. There are no Western teams that are obviously bad.

LAL - No reason to be bad as they don't have their pick. Brook Lopez is a good player and while Ball may have struggles scoring, he'll help everyone else score.

Dallas - The one team I could see bottoming out. They'll try to win for Dirk, but I think they're counting on a lot from a rookie PG and just an ok wing on a max contact (Dennis Smith and Harrison Barnes)

Sacramento - Lots of youth (Fox, hield, Jackson, skal, Giles) but they did add some solid vets (Hill) and Jackson and hield really aren't very young and both should provide solid play.

Memphis - if Conley and Gasol stay healthy, this team will win games

PHX - Do we keep bled? Do we ride chandler and Dudley? Or do we lean on Booker/Jackson/Chriss/Bender? If Chandler and Dudley spend a lot of time sitting and Booker and Jackson are the ones with the ball in key moments, we'll probably lose a lot of games still.

The East on the other hand is terrible. They've got 5 solid playoff teams (Cavs, Celtics, wizards, raptors, and bucks), 2 likely playoff team (Miami and Charlotte), 1 up and coming team that will probably make the playoffs (Philly) because everyone else is terrible (Knicks, Hawks, bulls, pistons, nets, magic, pacers)

Superbone

Post by Superbone »

In2ition wrote:
Superbone wrote:

Keep dreaming.
Oh I know. They did it for Chicago gifting them local kid Rose and they did it for Cleveland with LeBron, then gave them the #1 pick 3 more times after they TRAGICALLY lost LeBron. Dreaming is free. :D
I love your dream. It's our turn.

"Be Legendary."

In2ition

Post by In2ition »

Split T wrote:I'd love a top 5 pick, but I think we might surprise a little this year. Still, the West is so loaded that it's gonna be hard to not be at the bottom. There are no Western teams that are obviously bad.

LAL - No reason to be bad as they don't have their pick. Brook Lopez is a good player and while Ball may have struggles scoring, he'll help everyone else score.

Dallas - The one team I could see bottoming out. They'll try to win for Dirk, but I think they're counting on a lot from a rookie PG and just an ok wing on a max contact (Dennis Smith and Harrison Barnes)

Sacramento - Lots of youth (Fox, hield, Jackson, skal, Giles) but they did add some solid vets (Hill) and Jackson and hield really aren't very young and both should provide solid play.

Memphis - if Conley and Gasol stay healthy, this team will win games

PHX - Do we keep bled? Do we ride chandler and Dudley? Or do we lean on Booker/Jackson/Chriss/Bender? If Chandler and Dudley spend a lot of time sitting and Booker and Jackson are the ones with the ball in key moments, we'll probably lose a lot of games still.

The East on the other hand is terrible. They've got 5 solid playoff teams (Cavs, Celtics, wizards, raptors, and bucks), 2 likely playoff team (Miami and Charlotte), 1 up and coming team that will probably make the playoffs (Philly) because everyone else is terrible (Knicks, Hawks, bulls, pistons, nets, magic, pacers)
I don't see Dallas bottoming out. I think they were stoked to get Smith Jr. and he will help them this year.

I don't think everyone is going to agree with me, and that's alright. I think with the additions of KCP, Lopez, and rookies, Ball will improve the Lakers by 15 games this year.

Suns added a great(hopefully) compliment to Booker in Jackson, but he may not even start. Also, I expect that the young players improve this year through natural maturation, but they didn't make any sweeping revolutionary changes with playing style or coaching. With almost all the West teams improving, I just don't see a huge bump for the Suns, other than they won't be blatantly tanking(hoping again).

Split T

Post by Split T »

In2ition wrote: I don't see Dallas bottoming out. I think they were stoked to get Smith Jr. and he will help them this year.

I don't think everyone is going to agree with me, and that's alright. I think with the additions of KCP, Lopez, and rookies, Ball will improve the Lakers by 15 games this year.

Suns added a great(hopefully) compliment to Booker in Jackson, but he may not even start. Also, I expect that the young players improve this year through natural maturation, but they didn't make any sweeping revolutionary changes with playing style or coaching. With almost all the West teams improving, I just don't see a huge bump for the Suns, other than they won't be blatantly tanking(hoping again).
Ya, I think every Western lottery team from last year improved. Makes it hard to rank them. Minny and Denver improved the most. Dallas improved the least, imo. If Smith is ready to contribute from day 1, they might be ok, but my guess is he shows a lot of talent but ends up being pretty inefficient and doesn't actually help them win games. I think Suns, Mavs, Lakers, Kings are the bottom 4 and probably won't win too many games against the top 11. How they play against each other and the East will determine how the standings shake out.

Cap

Post by Cap »

Bleacher Report has a rundown of the betting lines:

We are predicted to go 21-61, second worst in the league, ahead of only Chicago (20-62).

In2ition

Post by In2ition »

I'd be really surprised if the Suns only win 21 games.

Split T

Post by Split T »

Cap wrote:Bleacher Report has a rundown of the betting lines:

We are predicted to go 21-61, second worst in the league, ahead of only Chicago (20-62).
I think we'll almost definitely win more than 21, but maybe that's just the Suns fan in me.

The thought of getting another top 5 pick and adding to our core is nice, but what does it say about our young guys if we can't improve from last year? I guess the ideal scenario has our young guys improving and playing better, but that not translating into wins. An unlucky season where our point differential is only slightly negative, but losing a lot of close games. Or just winning games and getting lucky in the lottery.

I guess my point is improvement and development of current players > adding another top 5 pick. But I'm all for getting both.

Cap

Post by Cap »

Split T wrote:
Cap wrote:Bleacher Report has a rundown of the betting lines:

I think we'll almost definitely win more than 21, but maybe that's just the Suns fan in me.

The thought of getting another top 5 pick and adding to our core is nice, but what does it say about our young guys if we can't improve from last year? I guess the ideal scenario has our young guys improving and playing better, but that not translating into wins. An unlucky season where our point differential is only slightly negative, but losing a lot of close games. Or just winning games and getting lucky in the lottery.

I guess my point is improvement and development of current players > adding another top 5 pick. But I'm all for getting both.
Let's do the Philly thing. Ship out Bledsoe, Dudley, and Chandler for bad contracts and picks, and we can easily finish with a worse record than last year, even with improvement from the younglings.