Off topic: Personal life thread

Discussion of the league and of our favorite team.
bajanguy008

Re: Off topic: Personal life thread

Post by bajanguy008 »

Time for me to catch up on the Threads, been off here all weekend which seems like forever. Last couple days been a blur as Job Hunting continues to be tough sledding my side of the world. I was at a Sandals Job Fair from 9:30AM - 8PM yesterday :? :oops: so hopefully it was worth it although a potential return to shift work will mean missing Suns games regularly for the first time in years.
SUNS Fan from the Land of Sun, Sea and Sand ;)

O_Gardino

Post by O_Gardino »

bajanguy008 wrote:Time for me to catch up on the Threads, been off here all weekend which seems like forever. Last couple days been a blur as Job Hunting continues to be tough sledding my side of the world. I was at a Sandals Job Fair from 9:30AM - 8PM yesterday :? :oops: so hopefully it was worth it although a potential return to shift work will mean missing Suns games regularly for the first time in years.
Good luck, Bajan. I was out of work a while back, too, so I know what it's like. Stay confident. You're an intelligent person, and good employers will see that.
The league needs heroes, villains... and clowns. -- Aztec Sunsfan

bajanguy008

Post by bajanguy008 »

O_Gardino wrote:
bajanguy008 wrote:Time for me to catch up on the Threads, been off here all weekend which seems like forever. Last couple days been a blur as Job Hunting continues to be tough sledding my side of the world. I was at a Sandals Job Fair from 9:30AM - 8PM yesterday :? :oops: so hopefully it was worth it although a potential return to shift work will mean missing Suns games regularly for the first time in years.
Good luck, Bajan. I was out of work a while back, too, so I know what it's like. Stay confident. You're an intelligent person, and good employers will see that.
Thanks man , Respect
SUNS Fan from the Land of Sun, Sea and Sand ;)

Mori Chu

Post by Mori Chu »

Wishing you luck, Bajan. Keep up the hard work and I'm sure things will get better. You can do it!

Superbone

Post by Superbone »

O_Gardino wrote:
+1000
"Be Legendary."

pickle

Post by pickle »

Interesting to see this thread... even if I'm a month late. Was just telling 'Bone how I've gotten super busy and have not regularly checked the site for months... I talk about fantasy basketball in our threads a lot because it's a way to keep myself sane... and engaged in the NBA, while I ride out Sarver-mania... and I missed the draft this year because I had too much going on.

Mori/Marty we seem to be in similar stages in our lives - only I don't work as cool a job as you do - I'm a year older than you and I just had a baby this past February. As some might know, I live in Beijing, and in the local culture it's customary for mine or my wife's parents to come help with the baby, but we decided to go it alone (mostly because I argue enough with my mom as it is). It's been hard, especially since work has really picked up over the last year plus and I travel about 2 days or so every week. Luckily my wife doesn't work a nine to five and she has been so awesome about doing the vast majority of the heavy lifting.

Pollution and education are the two big problems that I contend with everyday. Really don't want my baby to grow up with a black lung even though there're no smokers in the family. And when she gets to 2 or 3 years old I worry about what the local education system would do to her. I know that plenty have gone through these systems and come out fine, but I tend to worry. I guess that's what fathers do.

Honestly I'm still amazed that I'm a father. Sometimes when I walk into a room and see my baby playing on a mat on the ground all by herself I wonder, did I really contribute to that? She's so precious, and I'm so clueless.

Other than that, I still get depressed twice a year, once when the lottery takes place and we get leapfrogged, and another time when something invariably catastrophic happens to the team. This year the second depression set in early, with the Watson firing.

Damn you Sarver.

O_Gardino

Post by O_Gardino »

pickle wrote:Interesting to see this thread... even if I'm a month late. Was just telling 'Bone how I've gotten super busy and have not regularly checked the site for months... I talk about fantasy basketball in our threads a lot because it's a way to keep myself sane... and engaged in the NBA, while I ride out Sarver-mania... and I missed the draft this year because I had too much going on.

Mori/Marty we seem to be in similar stages in our lives - only I don't work as cool a job as you do - I'm a year older than you and I just had a baby this past February. As some might know, I live in Beijing, and in the local culture it's customary for mine or my wife's parents to come help with the baby, but we decided to go it alone (mostly because I argue enough with my mom as it is). It's been hard, especially since work has really picked up over the last year plus and I travel about 2 days or so every week. Luckily my wife doesn't work a nine to five and she has been so awesome about doing the vast majority of the heavy lifting.

Pollution and education are the two big problems that I contend with everyday. Really don't want my baby to grow up with a black lung even though there're no smokers in the family. And when she gets to 2 or 3 years old I worry about what the local education system would do to her. I know that plenty have gone through these systems and come out fine, but I tend to worry. I guess that's what fathers do.

Honestly I'm still amazed that I'm a father. Sometimes when I walk into a room and see my baby playing on a mat on the ground all by herself I wonder, did I really contribute to that? She's so precious, and I'm so clueless.

Other than that, I still get depressed twice a year, once when the lottery takes place and we get leapfrogged, and another time when something invariably catastrophic happens to the team. This year the second depression set in early, with the Watson firing.

Damn you Sarver.
Congrats on being a dad. Dadhood is the absolute best.

And, yeah. Every god-damned year.

Indy

Post by Indy »

Belated congrats, Pickle. Us fathers only get more clueless as the kids grow. At least, that's what I am learning with mine.

Superbone

Post by Superbone »

Indy wrote:Belated congrats, Pickle. Us fathers only get more clueless as the kids grow. At least, that's what I am learning with mine.
Wait until they're teens. You don't know anything! <slams the door>
"Be Legendary."

Indy

Post by Indy »

Superbone wrote:
Indy wrote:Belated congrats, Pickle. Us fathers only get more clueless as the kids grow. At least, that's what I am learning with mine.
Oh, my daughter started that at 7. And if anyone knows me well, they would say that I can argue either side of any issue really well. She has that in spades, and has been using it for years. She is 10. I am in for it when she is a teenager.

Superbone

Post by Superbone »

Indy wrote:
Superbone wrote:
Oh, my daughter started that at 7. And if anyone knows me well, they would say that I can argue either side of any issue really well. She has that in spades, and has been using it for years. She is 10. I am in for it when she is a teenager.
Oh, boy. :)
"Be Legendary."

Indy

Post by Indy »

Superbone wrote:
Indy wrote:
Superbone wrote:
Oh, boy. :)
Yeah. But part of me loves that she is so strong will and opinionated. And great at making her point (or finding the flaw in your logic). It will make a tough dozen years or so, but I expect it to pay off for her big time.

carey

Post by carey »

My ex-wife's mother died last Tuesday. Tomorrow morning is the funeral. The boys are having a hard time. This is the first major death in the family. My youngest has general anxiety disorder and ADHD so this is a big shock to him. Not sure why I'm posting here, I just figured maybe some of you might want to know.
Go Suns!

Og Snus!

O_Gardino

Post by O_Gardino »

That's tough Carey. One of those time when just being together and treating each other kindly is about all you can do.

Superbone

Post by Superbone »

Sorry to hear that carey. Hang in there with your boys.
"Be Legendary."

pickle

Post by pickle »

carey wrote:My ex-wife's mother died last Tuesday. Tomorrow morning is the funeral. The boys are having a hard time. This is the first major death in the family. My youngest has general anxiety disorder and ADHD so this is a big shock to him. Not sure why I'm posting here, I just figured maybe some of you might want to know.
Sorry to hear that Carey. I dealt with death in a meaningful way in my mid 30s, and it was really difficult to deal with... to the point where the only way I've managed to cope is to avoid thinking about it. I'm not sure where that puts me on the 7 stages of grief ladder... maybe barely past denial. I can't imagine how hard that is on a child. And I can only guess on how difficult it is for you as a father, to look at your child with such anguish, and be almost powerless to help.

pickle

Post by pickle »

O_Gardino wrote:
pickle wrote:... ramblings ...

Damn you Sarver.
Congrats on being a dad. Dadhood is the absolute best.

And, yeah. Every god-damned year.
Thanks. Suns fandom is rather rare in China, so of course a lot of my friends who are basketball-nascent in any way have sent me their questions/comforting notes/schadenfreude messages over the last few days. And I honestly have no idea how to respond because I am crawling in a mental ball right now refusing to believe that somehow our fearless owner has again made molehills out of mountains ... or rather minimized the value of our assets in an absolutely stunning way once again. Honestly it's pretty difficult to be given different and highly complex situations and always resolve them in a consistently extreme way. On the good side you have franchises like San Antonio where things always tend to end well, and then there's us, where everything always goes to shit. It ain't easy being this consistently bad.

Ok I know I'm exaggerating a little bit. But I've been stewing on this vitriol for a couple of days so it's hateful.

pickle

Post by pickle »

Thanks... so you have one daughter? Any others? And I guess I have less sleep to look forward to as well...

Mori Chu

Post by Mori Chu »

carey wrote:My ex-wife's mother died last Tuesday. Tomorrow morning is the funeral. The boys are having a hard time. This is the first major death in the family. My youngest has general anxiety disorder and ADHD so this is a big shock to him. Not sure why I'm posting here, I just figured maybe some of you might want to know.
Condolences to you and your family, carey. It's a good reminder that for each of us who's lucky enough to have their mother still with us, call mom today and tell her you love her. You'll never regret it.

carey

Post by carey »

Marty [Mori Chu] wrote:
Condolences to you and your family, carey. It's a good reminder that for each of us who's lucky enough to have their mother still with us, call mom today and tell her you love her. You'll never regret it.
Thank you, Marty.
Go Suns!

Og Snus!