Off topic: Personal life thread

Discussion of the league and of our favorite team.
carey

Re: Off topic: Personal life thread

Post by carey »

Ugh. I don't want to think about that right now. I'm seriously considering moving from New Orleans. Only I'm not sure my custody agreement would allow me to.
Go Suns!

Og Snus!

bajanguy008

Post by bajanguy008 »

Gotta side with Carey re: Hurricanes . My lil island Barbados has the reputation to be "lucky" as we don't get direct hits regularly but I would be lying if I said I haven't been more paranoid this year just from feeling the effects of the outer bands of the earlier hurricanes and wondering What If....
Only today a friend who went to Dominica this week was telling me how dire things are there post Maria so yea imagining a time when Cat 4/5 can be more frequent isn't very comforting as I don't see me moving from my home land
SUNS Fan from the Land of Sun, Sea and Sand ;)

Superbone

Post by Superbone »

Really sorry to hear about you guys dealing with hurricanes! I'm calling on Monday to add earthquake coverage to my homeowners' insurance.
"Be Legendary."

O_Gardino

Post by O_Gardino »

Hit after hit.
The league needs heroes, villains... and clowns. -- Aztec Sunsfan

Nodack

Post by Nodack »

It seems like Russian Roulette living on any Caribbean island or in the US along that coastline along that path the hurricanes take. It sure seems like the frequency and intensity of has increased over time. I'm sure it has nothing to do with global warming even though warmer air causes more evaperation, causing more moisture in the air, causing more and worse storms. Ahem...

Indy

Post by Indy »

Nodack wrote:It seems like Russian Roulette living on any Caribbean island or in the US along that coastline along that path the hurricanes take. It sure seems like the frequency and intensity of has increased over time. I'm sure it has nothing to do with global warming even though warmer air causes more evaperation, causing more moisture in the air, causing more and worse storms. Ahem...
I hate how saying something that 99% of climatologists agree on, based on data/science, is considered to be "political."

Mori Chu

Post by Mori Chu »

I was reading on BBC News site today that they are starting to see that when dirt and soil warm, they release large amounts of carbon into the air, much more than thought previously. This worries scientists who think it could lead to an irreversible feedback loop where the warming causes more carbon which causes more warming, leading to a point of no return. Gulp.

In2ition

Post by In2ition »

Marty [Mori Chu] wrote:I was reading on BBC News site today that they are starting to see that when dirt and soil warm, they release large amounts of carbon into the air, much more than thought previously. This worries scientists who think it could lead to an irreversible feedback loop where the warming causes more carbon which causes more warming, leading to a point of no return. Gulp.
What's the optimum level of carbon? I read that volcanic activity has been going through the roof lately and has been releasing carbon like crazy.
"When we all think alike, nobody is thinking" - Walter Lippmann
"Find out just what any people will quietly submit to and you have the exact measure of the injustice and wrong which will be imposed on them." ~ Frederick Douglass

Mori Chu

Post by Mori Chu »

In2ition wrote:What's the optimum level of carbon? I read that volcanic activity has been going through the roof lately and has been releasing carbon like crazy.
I'm no climate scientist, but I believe there's presently too much, and that more is bad.

In2ition

Post by In2ition »

Marty [Mori Chu] wrote:
In2ition wrote:What's the optimum level of carbon? I read that volcanic activity has been going through the roof lately and has been releasing carbon like crazy.
I'm no climate scientist, but I believe there's presently too much, and that more is bad.
Yeah, I'm no climate scientist either. I think we're all screwed, no matter if humans ended all carbon emissions from fossil fuels tomorrow. There has been a huge uptick in earthquakes, forest fires, and volcanic activity, which all have HUGE effects on carbon emissions in fact far far more than humans can create. Maybe are they all caused by climate change, which in turn was caused by humans.

We should see a rise in the ocean currents with the melting of the polar caps soon, I think. I know it's gotten hotter longer in Phoenix the last 20-30 years.
"When we all think alike, nobody is thinking" - Walter Lippmann
"Find out just what any people will quietly submit to and you have the exact measure of the injustice and wrong which will be imposed on them." ~ Frederick Douglass

virtual9mm

Post by virtual9mm »

Late to the party.
Marty [Mori Chu] wrote:The big news for me is that my wife and I are expecting our first child! The wife is about 16 weeks pregnant, and the baby will be due around March 1. We couldn't be more excited. A little scared, too, but I can't wait. (Hey, .net Dads, any advice for a first-timer?)

My wife and I still live in Santa Clara, CA with our three dogs and two cats (!). We rent a nice big house with plenty of rooms, so we will have space for the baby. We are wanting to buy a house, but the Silicon Valley real estate market is absolutely insane. To buy a modest 3 or 4 bedroom place with no frills will run you literally over $1.5 million dollars. So, yeah, um, we may need to wait a while.
Congrats on the baby! Santa Clara's a fantastic place to raise a kid. Wish I could be back...one year being back on The Farm just isn't enough.

How did you get a big house in the South Bay? You must be paying $5000/month. I was paying $3600/month last year for a very nice one bedroom in Glen Park...
bajanguy008 wrote:Gotta side with Carey re: Hurricanes . My lil island Barbados has the reputation to be "lucky" as we don't get direct hits regularly but I would be lying if I said I haven't been more paranoid this year just from feeling the effects of the outer bands of the earlier hurricanes and wondering What If....
Only today a friend who went to Dominica this week was telling me how dire things are there post Maria so yea imagining a time when Cat 4/5 can be more frequent isn't very comforting as I don't see me moving from my home land
Stay safe...HK got hit with 3 hurricanes in a row while I was away in SF in August. Things will only get worse, though. Apparently the average summer water temperature in the Philippines Sea has risen by about 5 degrees over the past few decades...and hurricanes (and typhoons) increase exponentially in strength with a rise in sea temperature.
jonh wrote:Im in year 4 of a 5 year phd program, so my summer was full of reading, writing, and throwing things at the wall. This summer, I gave a presentation at an academic conference about star teams and their consequences for organizations. Outside of work, my daughters turn 1 and 3 this fall.
I'm kind of in your line of work, used to be tenure-line faculty on the OT (rather than OB) side. I still review for AMJ -- let me know if you ever want a second pair of eyes on any of your papers.

Regarding what I am doing now -- I've moved off the tenure track for the purpose of working full-time on a startup that uses machine learning to automate many of the less interesting tasks performed by business analysts. Still teaching corporate strategy and management consulting in Asia as an adjunct. Based in HK although I expect to spend a decent amount of time in SF. Got married last year, no kids yet but hope to have some in a few years.

Nodack

Post by Nodack »

Grats V9!

virtual9mm

Post by virtual9mm »

Thanks 'dack! How are things going for you?

Nodack

Post by Nodack »

Pretty good. Can't complain. Had a couple of heart surgeries a while back. Now I am fit as a fiddle and no medication. Lost a couple of dogs this past year. Still playing music for a living and my wife still loves me. All good except for my severe dislike of our President.

virtual9mm

Post by virtual9mm »

:ugeek: lop
Nodack wrote:Pretty good. Can't complain. Had a couple of heart surgeries a while back. Now I am fit as a fiddle and no medication. Lost a couple of dogs this past year. Still playing music for a living and my wife still loves me. All good except for my severe dislike of our President.
Very glad to hear that you are healthy and jamming now! Sorry to hear about your dog's but it is fantastic that you and the missus still love each other. Don't get me started on politics...ugh.

O_Gardino

Post by O_Gardino »

I love this thread. Thanks for sharing, V9 and 'Dack.
The league needs heroes, villains... and clowns. -- Aztec Sunsfan

virtual9mm

Post by virtual9mm »

O_Gardino wrote:I love this thread. Thanks for sharing, V9 and 'Dack.
To you as well! We used to get together for drinks and watch games together. Guess it would be tough for you to join but feel free to post a thread if you are ever in AZ...Zipps in Scottsdale works for some folks.

Cap

Post by Cap »

Over in the Politics folder AIG and I were talking about Sat Oct 21 for Zipps night.

virtual9mm

Post by virtual9mm »

Round up the troops! And have fun..,

Nodack

Post by Nodack »

:cry: It's a Sat. I'm gigging.