Off topic: Personal life thread

Discussion of the league and of our favorite team.
carey

Re: Off topic: Personal life thread

Post by carey »

This is from today. It was a rough day but we got through it.Image
Go Suns!

Og Snus!

In2ition

Post by In2ition »

Sorry Carey, Grandmothers are special.
"When we all think alike, nobody is thinking" - Walter Lippmann
"Find out just what any people will quietly submit to and you have the exact measure of the injustice and wrong which will be imposed on them." ~ Frederick Douglass

O_Gardino

Post by O_Gardino »

How do you get them to dress so nicely?
The league needs heroes, villains... and clowns. -- Aztec Sunsfan

carey

Post by carey »

O_Gardino wrote:How do you get them to dress so nicely?
For the funeral I put on a suit and said to wear a shirt & tie? ;)
Go Suns!

Og Snus!

Shabazz

Post by Shabazz »

Cute kids, Carey. They look around the same age as mine. Sorry they're going through a tough time.

Xylus

Post by Xylus »

Cool topic, helps to get to know everyone better.

I haven't posted on this site very much in the last few years, primarily because my life's become much busier and basketball has taken a backseat to some more important things. About 2-and-a-half years ago, my son Milo was born (first and only so far). A month later, I was offered a promotion that took my family from Phoenix to Dallas. A year later in mid-2016, I was promoted again, this time to Austin, TX, a city I've always loved and dreamed of living in. Shortly after that, the company I work for, SolarCity, was purchased outright by Tesla. I now work for the Energy division of Tesla here in Austin, overseeing operations--we install rooftop solar, electric vehicle charging units, and Powerwalls (energy storage units). I absolutely love working for Tesla, but I've been extremely busy.

My wife and I live alone in Austin without any close friends or family, so our free time is devoted to raising our son. Becoming and being a dad is the best thing that's ever happened to me. Parenthood is so underrated. It's strange how much joy I experience when I hear him say a new word or watch him figure a task out on his own or when he expresses his own independence. He keeps me focused firmly on the future at all times.

So yeah, with the new role at work and the new child, I just haven't carved out any time for basketball. I'm not too upset about it since the Suns have been a shit show for the last handful of years. For some reason, I came into this NBA season really excited about the sport and I'm ready to get back into it. I'm thrilled that Bledsoe is MIA and Watson is out. I don't mind losing as long as we're putting it all out on the court every night.

Happy to be back here. You should see a lot more activity out of me going forward.

bajanguy008

Post by bajanguy008 »

Xylus wrote:Cool topic, helps to get to know everyone better.

I haven't posted on this site very much in the last few years, primarily because my life's become much busier and basketball has taken a backseat to some more important things. About 2-and-a-half years ago, my son Milo was born (first and only so far). A month later, I was offered a promotion that took my family from Phoenix to Dallas. A year later in mid-2016, I was promoted again, this time to Austin, TX, a city I've always loved and dreamed of living in. Shortly after that, the company I work for, SolarCity, was purchased outright by Tesla. I now work for the Energy division of Tesla here in Austin, overseeing operations--we install rooftop solar, electric vehicle charging units, and Powerwalls (energy storage units). I absolutely love working for Tesla, but I've been extremely busy.

My wife and I live alone in Austin without any close friends or family, so our free time is devoted to raising our son. Becoming and being a dad is the best thing that's ever happened to me. Parenthood is so underrated. It's strange how much joy I experience when I hear him say a new word or watch him figure a task out on his own or when he expresses his own independence. He keeps me focused firmly on the future at all times.

So yeah, with the new role at work and the new child, I just haven't carved out any time for basketball. I'm not too upset about it since the Suns have been a s*** show for the last handful of years. For some reason, I came into this NBA season really excited about the sport and I'm ready to get back into it. I'm thrilled that Bledsoe is MIA and Watson is out. I don't mind losing as long as we're putting it all out on the court every night.

Happy to be back here. You should see a lot more activity out of me going forward.
I'm probably a new name to you and I'm sure the Hierarchy will shout you out but Welcome back :)
SUNS Fan from the Land of Sun, Sea and Sand ;)

Mori Chu

Post by Mori Chu »

Good to see you back, Xylus! I'm having my first kid in late Feb or March, so it's great to read a story like yours. I hope I get the same genuine joy from it that you are describing in your own life. :)

carey

Post by carey »

Xylus, welcome back sir! It's been a while. Parenthood is amazing but the most stressful thing I've ever done. There is constantly some fire to put out. Today was parent teacher conferences for my youngest and he has ADHD so bad he can not function if he isn't on his medication. My oldest is going through some social problems at school. He is at a combination school 6-12th grade. It's an advanced studies school full of really smart kids. I thought kids would be different there, but the older ones are still dicks to the younger ones as it has always been. Really frustrating. If you ever need advice or anything feel free to hit me up. I've been doing it solo the last 8 years.
Go Suns!

Og Snus!

O_Gardino

Post by O_Gardino »

Hey, Xylus, I just moved from Austin. Only room for 1 .net family in that town, but it's a great town. Parenting is fun, I've got a 5 yr old and a 2 yr old. If you want any connections in town, I can introduce you to my circle of friends.
The league needs heroes, villains... and clowns. -- Aztec Sunsfan

Xylus

Post by Xylus »

Thanks for the warm welcome, everyone!

Xylus

Post by Xylus »

Marty [Mori Chu] wrote:Good to see you back, Xylus! I'm having my first kid in late Feb or March, so it's great to read a story like yours. I hope I get the same genuine joy from it that you are describing in your own life. :)
You will, no doubt. It's gonna be a blast for you. Extremely tiring, but a blast. ;)

Xylus

Post by Xylus »

carey wrote:Xylus, welcome back sir! It's been a while. Parenthood is amazing but the most stressful thing I've ever done. There is constantly some fire to put out. Today was parent teacher conferences for my youngest and he has ADHD so bad he can not function if he isn't on his medication. My oldest is going through some social problems at school. He is at a combination school 6-12th grade. It's an advanced studies school full of really smart kids. I thought kids would be different there, but the older ones are still dicks to the younger ones as it has always been. Really frustrating. If you ever need advice or anything feel free to hit me up. I've been doing it solo the last 8 years.

This is probably my biggest worry currently, how my son is going to fare in school. I was an extremely shy, sheltered kid. I was lucky that I never got bullied or harassed--I think I was just really good at staying off everyone's radar.

I have so much respect for solo parenting... I'm exhausted constantly and I carry half the load.

carey

Post by carey »

Xylus wrote: I have so much respect for solo parenting... I'm exhausted constantly and I carry half the load.
That part of it gets easier. Less physical work and more emotional work. It can be exhausting in a different way though.
Go Suns!

Og Snus!

bajanguy008

Post by bajanguy008 »

'Bone made the NBA on NBC reference for tonight's Gameday thread and I was quick to mention how I still trip out hearing that ;) . I didn't want to go Off Topic in that thread but man oh man, each time I have come on the board this evening I have peeped at that thread and played it a lil bit lol. Gotta excuse me guys but here in the Caribbean I didn't have Cable til I was a teenager so that theme song always makes me remember my first NBA memory

[youtube][/youtube]

My uncle's best friend had a Satellite dish and I had to beg my parents to let me go with him because I was only 10 ( probably had school the next day :) ). I was obviously excited but I didn't know there would be an Intro and all that stuff lol. so yea 10yr old me and literally my first NBA moment on TV is this Magic and MJ piece then the cool theme song so I was giddy that night man :D 8-)
SUNS Fan from the Land of Sun, Sea and Sand ;)

Superbone

Post by Superbone »

Good times! :D
"Be Legendary."

carey

Post by carey »

Personally I can't hear the theme & not remember it's called Roundball Rock & that it was written & performed by this guy....

[youtube][/youtube]
Go Suns!

Og Snus!

Indy

Post by Indy »

pickle wrote:
Indy wrote:Belated congrats, Pickle. Us fathers only get more clueless as the kids grow. At least, that's what I am learning with mine.
Thanks... so you have one daughter? Any others? And I guess I have less sleep to look forward to as well...
Belated reply after my belated congrats. Sorry about the delay--things have been busy.

I have a 10.5 year old daughter and a 8.5 year old son. Sleep is hard to come by until your youngest can get themselves up in the morning. For us, that meant about 6 years (since our kids were 2 years apart, and it was about when they are 4 that they could get themselves up and ready in the morning on weekends). But I would trade all the sleep in the world for it. Nothing is as rewarding in the long run (even though some days you really have to work to remind yourself of that!). I am just preparing for the teenage years...

Indy

Post by Indy »

carey wrote:My ex-wife's mother died last Tuesday. Tomorrow morning is the funeral. The boys are having a hard time. This is the first major death in the family. My youngest has general anxiety disorder and ADHD so this is a big shock to him. Not sure why I'm posting here, I just figured maybe some of you might want to know.
Sorry to hear about it, Carey. Just got back from a funeral last week of a cousin that was only 6 months older than me. Weird feeling.

Indy

Post by Indy »

Xylus wrote:Cool topic, helps to get to know everyone better.

So yeah, with the new role at work and the new child, I just haven't carved out any time for basketball. I'm not too upset about it since the Suns have been a s*** show for the last handful of years. For some reason, I came into this NBA season really excited about the sport and I'm ready to get back into it. I'm thrilled that Bledsoe is MIA and Watson is out. I don't mind losing as long as we're putting it all out on the court every night.

Welcome back! Great to hear things are working out well.