Suns Training Camp 2017

Discussion of the league and of our favorite team.
ShelC

Re: Suns Training Camp 2017

Post by ShelC »

I think Bleds will get about 32-33mpg, Ulis about 15-18. I wish we could get a tight 9 man rotation with defined roles early one. Bledsoe, Booker, Jackson, Chriss and Chandler to start, Ulis, Warren, Bender as the core of the 2nd unit. Still really bummed about Reed because I thought he'd be an x-factor for us off the bench.

carey

Post by carey »

We have 3 2nd rounders next year along with our first and Miami's first?
Go Suns!

Og Snus!

Superbone

Post by Superbone »

https://twitter.com/sbordow/status/913540536744632322

"Be Legendary."

Superbone

Post by Superbone »

https://twitter.com/sbordow/status/913515813184745473

"Be Legendary."

bajanguy008

Post by bajanguy008 »

Well we know how first week of camp goes .....
Player X has added muscle , new body / new diet and so on lol. you have to basically not get carried away with these reports but hey there's this from today and I am one that hopes we see some consistent impact from Bender this season
Last edited by bajanguy008 on Thu Sep 28, 2017 4:40 pm, edited 1 time in total.
SUNS Fan from the Land of Sun, Sea and Sand ;)

bajanguy008

Post by bajanguy008 »

Superbone wrote:

Ooops :lol: :lol:

Superbone

Post by Superbone »

http://www.azcentral.com/story/sports/n ... 64311b79a5

Phoenix Suns' Josh Jackson excels with Mom's tough love and talent
Josh Jackson knew his place when he joined the Suns for their summer workouts. He was a rookie. A prized rookie, perhaps even a future star, but a rookie nonetheless.

So he didn’t speak up as often as he normally does. He didn’t critique his teammates. He was trying, he said, “just to be another guy on the team.”

Then he was pulled aside by coach Earl Watson.

“Earl told me, ‘Be yourself,’” Jackson said. “Come in, work hard and challenge these other guys.’ ”

It might be unusual, a head coach telling a rookie to get after more experienced players. But Watson sees something special in Jackson.

“Leadership has no age,” Watson said.
During a scrimmage Tuesday night at Northern Arizona University, Marquese Chriss made a move to his left around Tyson Chandler. Chandler bumped him and, as the whistle blew for a foul, Chriss tried to shoot with his normal release. The ball hit the side of the rim and bounced away.

Jackson, sitting on the scorer’s table, raised his voice.

“Use your left hand,” he yelled at Chriss. “Go up with your left.”
Read more...
"Be Legendary."

Superbone

Post by Superbone »

http://www.azcentral.com/story/sports/n ... 710343001/

Phoenix Suns' Anthony Bennett out to prove he still belongs in NBA
Bennett is aware of what everyone says about him, that he’s one of the biggest busts in NBA history. He’s played for four teams, never averaging more than 5.2 points and 3.8 rebounds per game. When the Brooklyn Nets waived him last January, he went overseas to play with Fenerbahce of the Turkish Basketball Super League.

The Suns signed him in part because he played some of his best basketball with Team Canada in 2015 under Phoenix associate head coach Jay Triano.

“I was out in Las Vegas, trying to get right and my agent thought this was the best place for me,” he said.

Bennett, 6 feet, 8 inches, said he weighs 232 pounds, the lightest he’s been in years, and he quickly reminds you that he’s just 24 years old. He’s convinced he can resuscitate his career.

“I feel like what I went through in the past has definitely set myself up for greatness,” he said. “It’s proving to myself that I belong. Not proving to anybody else or even shutting everybody up. Just having confidence in myself knowing that I can play with anybody on the court.”
Early standout

Second-year pro Derrick Jones Jr. has caught the eye of coach Earl Watson early in training camp.

“The guy who has been the most consistent and most improved so far has been Derrick Jones,” Watson said. “He’s always been gifted above the rim. I feel he got stronger. And his 3-point shooting has been phenomenal.”

The 6-foot-7 Jones, who showed off his athleticism by finishing second in the Slam Dunk contest at All-Star Weekend last season, averaged 5.3 points and 2.5 rebounds per game in 2016-17 but shot just 27.3 percent from 3-point range.

Finding consistent playing time for Jones will be a challenge. The Suns acquired Troy Daniels to be the backup to Devin Booker at shooting guard, and T.J. Warren and Josh Jackson figure to get most of the minutes at small forward.
"Be Legendary."

bajanguy008

Post by bajanguy008 »

Thanks Bone , anyone been finding any videos though. I writing this before checking nba.com but there wasn't anything much up when I looked yday

Superbone

Post by Superbone »

bajanguy008 wrote:Thanks Bone , anyone been finding any videos though. I writing this before checking nba.com but there wasn't anything much up when I looked yday
There are a few videos up on AZCentral but not much, if any game action.
"Be Legendary."

O_Gardino

Post by O_Gardino »

This showdown between Bone and Bajan to see who can be nicest and most informing is the most exciting thing in basketball since the draft.
The league needs heroes, villains... and clowns. -- Aztec Sunsfan

jonh

Post by jonh »

bajanguy008 wrote:
Superbone wrote:

Wasn't there several reports like this about Len a few years ago?

Just saying.

OE32

Post by OE32 »

jonh wrote:
bajanguy008 wrote:
Superbone wrote:

Wasn't there several reports like this about Len a few years ago?

Just saying.
I remember that Dudley said last year that Ulis and Len would be the biggest surprises, based on their performance in training camp.

I thought Bender showed more in SL this year than Len ever did, fwiw.

Superbone

Post by Superbone »

O_Gardino wrote:This showdown between Bone and Bajan to see who can be nicest and most informing is the most exciting thing in basketball since the draft.
Ha ha! :D
"Be Legendary."

carey

Post by carey »

https://twitter.com/Suns/status/913612864404865024

Go Suns!

Og Snus!

ShelC

Post by ShelC »

Just watched that...there's something about Watson that just rubs me the wrong way. Why is he talking about OKC and superstars not staying together? Becoming a superstar isn't the hard part? Great thing to tell young players, especially one who's attitude is already questionable (Chriss). I don't know, just seems like more nonsense.

carey

Post by carey »

ShelC wrote:Just watched that...there's something about Watson that just rubs me the wrong way. Why is he talking about OKC and superstars not staying together? Becoming a superstar isn't the hard part? Great thing to tell young players, especially one who's attitude is already questionable (Chriss). I don't know, just seems like more nonsense.
I look at it the other way. He is instilling confidence in his young guys by telling them their stardom is inevitable because they are so talented. All they need to do is work and trust each other.
Go Suns!

Og Snus!

Indy

Post by Indy »

OE32 wrote:I tend to think Bled won't play more than 30 MPG, because Ulis will soak up close to 24 on a normal night. I also think there's a chance we win significantly more games than currently projected, even in a tough conference, simply because of the injection of Josh Jackson, the vastly diminished role of Len, and the fact that Brandon Knight will not play.

I think Josh Jackson will compete with Ben Simmons and Lonzo Ball for ROY honors.

If we stay relatively healthy from here on out, the Suns could surprise. I would like to see it, personally. It will be hard to get too pissed about missing out on another high draft pick in a year where we'll have five total. Plus, we still have that lottery ticket that may pay off in 2021.

What a great time to be a fan.
We have 5 high draft picks this year? Wow!

Indy

Post by Indy »

carey wrote:
ShelC wrote:Just watched that...there's something about Watson that just rubs me the wrong way. Why is he talking about OKC and superstars not staying together? Becoming a superstar isn't the hard part? Great thing to tell young players, especially one who's attitude is already questionable (Chriss). I don't know, just seems like more nonsense.
I look at it the other way. He is instilling confidence in his young guys by telling them their stardom is inevitable because they are so talented. All they need to do is work and trust each other.
I am by no means a Watson apologist, but I read it the same way as carey.

Indy

Post by Indy »

But I will say, they probably had 60-90 minutes of mic time on him, and those 2 minutes were the best they came up with.