Around the League: Preseason 2017

Discussion of the league and of our favorite team.
Mori Chu

Re: Around the League: Preseason 2017

Post by Mori Chu »

If you think our fan base is depressed and aggrieved, look at this article about the upcoming Bulls season.

Deadspin: The Bulls Suck!

https://deadspin.com/the-bulls-suck-1819173027

JCSunsfan

Post by JCSunsfan »

carey wrote:

https://twitter.com/KTAR923/status/915347555201855488

And in breaking news, the Morris brothers are seen in public with two different color shirts.

carey

Post by carey »

Harry Giles out through January with a knee injury. Who would have thought?
Go Suns!

Og Snus!

Superbone

Post by Superbone »

JCSunsfan wrote:And in breaking news, the Morris brothers are seen in public with two different color shirts.
And one with glasses?! :shock:
"Be Legendary."

bajanguy008

Post by bajanguy008 »

https://twitter.com/TheSteinLine/status/916702303289249797

SUNS Fan from the Land of Sun, Sea and Sand ;)

O_Gardino

Post by O_Gardino »

Rough summer and preseason so far.
The league needs heroes, villains... and clowns. -- Aztec Sunsfan

carey

Post by carey »

Woah. Gary Harris just got 4/84. Compare and contrast with Warren's 4/50.
Go Suns!

Og Snus!

Superbone

Post by Superbone »

carey wrote:Woah. Gary Harris just got 4/84. Compare and contrast with Warren's 4/50.
It's more.
"Be Legendary."

carey

Post by carey »

Superbone wrote:
carey wrote:Woah. Gary Harris just got 4/84. Compare and contrast with Warren's 4/50.
It's more.
:lol:
Go Suns!

Og Snus!

Split T

Post by Split T »

He's better than Warren, but I don't think he's 8 million a year better

Ring_Wanted

Post by Ring_Wanted »

Split T wrote:

People value tremendously his efficiency and well rounded game. 40%+ 3pt, no apparent flaw and solid defense. There is a lot to like, and if he performs in '17-18 like he did last year, somebody would have offered the max. Given today's game evolution, I see why Harris is held in higher regard than Warren, who (disregarding health issues) still has no 3pt range and to non-Suns fans and still can't defend or rebound (improving on both accounts). 3pt is all the rage and unless Warren is used and impresses as a stretch PF, people will still believe he is just a vintage midrange scorer to bring off the bench.

carey

Post by carey »

I've also read that Harris' deal is 4/74 but that with incentives he could reach 4/84. The incentives are apparently steep and will likely go under "unlikely" when talking about cap hits.
Go Suns!

Og Snus!

O_Gardino

Post by O_Gardino »

Ring_Wanted wrote:
Split T wrote:

People value tremendously his efficiency and well rounded game. 40%+ 3pt, no apparent flaw and solid defense. There is a lot to like, and if he performs in '17-18 like he did last year, somebody would have offered the max. Given today's game evolution, I see why Harris is held in higher regard than Warren, who (disregarding health issues) still has no 3pt range and to non-Suns fans and still can't defend or rebound (improving on both accounts). 3pt is all the rage and unless Warren is used and impresses as a stretch PF, people will still believe he is just a vintage midrange scorer to bring off the bench.
I'll play Warren's advocate; I don't think Harris is better.

Harris is a little bit good at everything, but he hasn't been a guy you can build an offense around. He's not a go-to scoring option, he's not a passer who creates plays. His efficiency comes from letting the rest of his team generate the offense. He's a 3&D tweener guard who gets all his points on open 3s or open layups when Denver's ball movement creates a mismatch. He's good, but he's not big enough to be a great 2guard, and he's not quick enough or skilled enough to be a good PG. He's a role player. Besides which, Harris has missed about 60 games already in his career, and he profiles almost exactly like Jamal Murray who should take some of Harris' minutes this season. I just can't see 18-20 million a year being a good investment.

Warren, on the other hand, is a very efficient corer who can create his own buckets. He is especially effective at scoring on broken plays, and could be a very good #3 scoring option on a playoff team, regardless of whether he starts of comes off the bench. He's big for his natural position, and should slide well to PF where there aren't a lot of guys who can take advantage of him in today's NBA. 12 million a year is a good deal for a guy you know can score quickly and efficiently regardless of what the rest of the team is doing. The only real knock against him is his health, and Warren played 9 more games last season than Harris.
The league needs heroes, villains... and clowns. -- Aztec Sunsfan

Mori Chu

Post by Mori Chu »

Let's also remember that 4/84 is not all THAT much in today's CBA. It sounds scandalous to my ears, but the cap is much higher than it used to be.

Also, teams like Denver can't always just go out and get a Lebron or a Durant to come to their team. If they have a budding star and fan favorite, they have to do what they can to keep him. I think they did the right thing.

Ring_Wanted

Post by Ring_Wanted »

O_Gardino wrote:I'll play Warren's advocate; I don't think Harris is better.

Harris is a little bit good at everything, but he hasn't been a guy you can build an offense around. He's not a go-to scoring option, he's not a passer who creates plays. His efficiency comes from letting the rest of his team generate the offense. He's a 3&D tweener guard who gets all his points on open 3s or open layups when Denver's ball movement creates a mismatch. He's good, but he's not big enough to be a great 2guard, and he's not quick enough or skilled enough to be a good PG. He's a role player. Besides which, Harris has missed about 60 games already in his career, and he profiles almost exactly like Jamal Murray who should take some of Harris' minutes this season. I just can't see 18-20 million a year being a good investment.

Warren, on the other hand, is a very efficient corer who can create his own buckets. He is especially effective at scoring on broken plays, and could be a very good #3 scoring option on a playoff team, regardless of whether he starts of comes off the bench. He's big for his natural position, and should slide well to PF where there aren't a lot of guys who can take advantage of him in today's NBA. 12 million a year is a good deal for a guy you know can score quickly and efficiently regardless of what the rest of the team is doing. The only real knock against him is his health, and Warren played 9 more games last season than Harris.
All solid points. If you asked me what player would I rather have in a vacuum, Harris would have a pretty strong case, because even if just a role player, he fits today's game better than Warren. Now, if you ask me Harris 4/84 vs Warren 4/50, I take Warren (although I acknowledge that Harris could trascend his 3D status and make his contract not just ok, but great).

Split T

Post by Split T »

Marty [Mori Chu] wrote:Let's also remember that 4/84 is not all THAT much in today's CBA. It sounds scandalous to my ears, but the cap is much higher than it used to be.

Also, teams like Denver can't always just go out and get a Lebron or a Durant to come to their team. If they have a budding star and fan favorite, they have to do what they can to keep him. I think they did the right thing.
We say that about every contract, it's true about some, but not Harris. It's pretty close to the max he can get. I actually like Harris, I wanted to trade Bledsoe for him, and I agree that Denver needed to keep him. Just don't think he's on any kind of bargain contract. 21 million a year for a 3rd/4th fiddle is a lot.

ShelC

Post by ShelC »

Great posts Ring and O. I'd definitely take Warren and his contract over Harris and his. Harris is a fine player and 74 is the probably market value for a guy like him. I think he's a borderline starter but also someone the Nuggets felt they needed to re-sign and keep around. Another player/contract to compare him to would be Tim Hardaway Jr and his deal. He got 4 years, 71mil albeit the Knicks probably had to overbid as he was an RFA.

bajanguy008

Post by bajanguy008 »

I have refused to give much thought to this last couple seasons although it keeps coming up in discussions simply because I don't think it will actually happen. Well here's some of the Logistics stuff , Pros and Cons. Maybe it's the pessimist in me lol but I heard more reasons in that segment why it probably isn't happening :|

[youtube][/youtube]

bajanguy008

Post by bajanguy008 »

https://twitter.com/wojespn/status/917502978533330944

The Bobster

Post by The Bobster »

That's a lot of money for a guy who's played 31 games in three seasons.
Author of The Basketball Draft Fact Book: A History of Professional Basketball's College Drafts
Available from Scarecrow Press at - https://rowman.com/ISBN/9780810890695